S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by BC30cal
While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Dwayne

You just dropped hammer and blew up your gun. How the hell are you gonna have a LIVE round stuck in (what's left) of the chamber? And how is the type of extraction germane?

Umm….

Like because the cartridge wasn’t retained by the very substantial controlled round feed extractor, so the primer didn’t detonate, but the cartridge did move forward in the chamber, and now stuck?

Enough of an explanation Mr. Dunning Kruger?
If the primer didn't detonate, how did the gun blow up smart ass? Luv it when a moron drops his shorts in front of the world.🤣

In this case, you'd be that moron so pull your pants up. Who said the gun blew up?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by persiandog
i know shooting 308 out of 30-06 is possible , but how about accuracy ?

assuming two identical rifles 308 and 30-06 , does 308 out of 30-06 is as accurate as on a 308 rifle?

Let's revisit the OP. So, you're going to spend the time to plan on how to use the wrong ammo in the wrong gun instead of planning out how to actually have the correct ammo for the correct gun available?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by persiandog
Originally Posted by granitestate1
Just changing the headspace can change accuracy.
so , 38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm are all inaccurate?
Big difference in straight wall vs tapered bottleneck cartridges.

38 in 357 or 40sw in 10mm space off the rim so they stay in place when the firing pin strikes them. The .308 case is a little over .2 shorter where the shoulder starts than the 30-06 so there is nothing to say it is going to stay in place when the firing pin strikes it as they headspace off the shoulder. That alone makes the idea lame in my thinking.
.40sw and 10mm are rimless cochise
Thanks for the correction.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by RIO7
About 10 years ago we had a women hunter fire a 308 in a 270 Ruger, killed the Deer at about 75 yards and locked the Ruger up tight as a safe we had a hell of a time clearing the action, I took the rifle to a good gun smith to be checked out no damage ?? I was surprised it didn't blow up. Rio7

It's not easy to find any pictures of a Ruger bolt action blown up. I'm sure they exist but they are one hell for stout action. I've seen stocks let go around the action but not action in pieces.
Your still talking a .308 pill all the way through a .277 bore, and landing on target 75 yds away. Dubious at best.
I actually saw a guy shoot a 308 round out of his Ruger 77V tanger chambered in 25-06. His son & him had just gone into his chicken coop converted into a shooting shack that had a wall knocked out so that he could shoot at targets out across his cow pasture. Their intentions were to sight in two Ruger 77's, a 77R in 308 & the 77V. As usual, they were arguing about load data, & not paying attention. The dad loaded a 308 round into the 77V & fired a round. I was behind him but off to the side. The flame came out the side port hole like he was shooting a flintlock, the barrel went upward, & the old man almost went over backwards. The whole rifle stayed together, but the stock was badly split at the tang area, the bolt had to be pounded open with an oak block & hammer. The empty case was removed in a hydraulic press using a hardened piece of drill rod and looked like a straight walled 308 with a huge primer pocket & the ejector plunger buried down inside of the bolt. He sent the 77V back to Ruger in pieces and they basically rebuilt the rifle using the same action (same serial #) which I thought was odd, & sent it back to him along with a stearn letter basically telling him how dumb & lucky he was. No idea where the bullet went but made it out of the barrel.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by reivertom
Notice this guy is using one of the strongest actions he could find to do this. This is an example of a really bad Idea that shouldn't even be a thought. I guess if you were starving to death and needed to kill a deer, of you were in a life and death situation, it might bail you out, but just don't do it in the real world.

Unless I am mistaken, the 1917 is a controlled round feed action so headspace is at least to some degree controlled by the extractor similar to 40 S&W in 10mm. Might be very different in a Remington 700.

Still not a good idea.
Yeah, your mistaken. All bottleneck rimless headspace on the datum line.
Really, in a neck sized fire formed case ok, but what about a Full length case with the shoulder bumped back several thou, what about factory ammo that most often has a min spec for head to datum measurement, what are these cases headspacing on when there is indeed a gap between the datum line and the chamber.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In the typical 30/06 chamber, the 308 case will wedge into the chamber somewhat and maintain zero head clearance. Not super tight but tight enough. Accuracy probably won't be awesome but may be adequate. As a gunsmith of many years experience, I have not seen it all, but I have seen a lot. I have seen a 308 fired in a 30/06 (no damage). I have seen 7x57 fired in two different .270 rifles; a Savage 110 (three shots fired with no damage) and a Colt Sauer (one shot fired. bolt damaged, stock split, magazine wrecked). A 303 British was fired in a Parker-Hale 7mm Mag. Extractor was blown out, stock split, magazine follower, spring, and floorplate were gone. Surprisingly, the receiver, bolt, and barrel were all fine, and I was able to put the rifle back in service.
I saw quite a few cases where 303 Savage was fired in a 303 British. The Savage name sounded more formidable, I guess!
One customer (an outfitter) had a client who had fired a 308 Norma round through a 7mm STW (I had put together two identical rifles for the outfitter, one in 308 Norma and the other in 7STW. The client had been carrying the 308 Norma but grabbed the STW rifle by mistake). The 180 Swift A-frame bullet swaged down OK and even killed the fairly large black bear at which he had shot. There was no second shot since the rifle seized up and the bolt handle was removed with a piece of 2x4!
I seriously doubt that the Army thought ahead and made the 308 so it was possible to shoot it in an '06. I think that was probably happenstance, but it happens to work. Nonetheless, it's a good story. GD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
All I can say is that I don't plan on trying this. It might work to the extent that the rifle doesn't blow up, but shooting the wrong cartridge in a rifle not designed for it sounds pretty scary to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The shortless moron
Originally Posted by RAM
While I have no experience doing it, my guess is that using anything other than a controlled round, large claw extractor action could and perhaps even likely end up with a live round jammed in the chamber.

Dwayne

You just dropped hammer and blew up your gun. How the hell are you gonna have a LIVE round stuck in (what's left) of the chamber? And how is the type of extraction germane?

Umm….

Like because the cartridge wasn’t retained by the very substantial controlled round feed extractor, so the primer didn’t detonate, but the cartridge did move forward in the chamber, and now stuck?

If the primer didn't detonate, how did the gun blow up smart ass? Luv it when a moron drops his shorts in front of the world.🤣

Well, seeing as how we’re discussing a potential live round stuck in the chamber of push feed rifle action, after the firing pin has dropped, the theoretical action obviously hasn’t blown up. You see, as there is no shoulder for the cartridge to headspace against, the extractor has not snapped over the extraction groove of the cartridge. So how is the firing pin going to contact the primer? Hence, a live round, possibly stuck in a still fully intact action.

Time for you to pull up your shorts…

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by The shortless moron
Originally Posted by RAM

Dwayne

Umm….

Well, seeing as how we’re discussing a potential live round stuck in the chamber of push feed rifle action, after the firing pin has dropped, the theoretical action obviously hasn’t blown up. You see, as there is no shoulder for the cartridge to headspace against, the extractor has not snapped over the extraction groove of the cartridge. So how is the firing pin going to contact the primer? Hence, a live round, possibly stuck in a still fully intact action.

Time for you to pull up your shorts…

what ya all are missing is that a 308 has less body taper and a slightly wider shoulder than an 06 , so the

cartridge will just not fall into the chamber all the way to the shoulder , it will wedge at some point as greydog mentioned . likely with the case head close up to the bolt face.....so the firing pin can reach the primer and fire it.

for this reason you cannot clean up a 308 chamber with an 06 reamer unless you set the barrel way back .

in addition the 06 chamber has way more volume than 308 so a normal 308 load is going to have way less pressure than usual when fired in the larger chamber.........I highly doubt an 06 in good condition was ever blown up by firing a 308

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I guess we can shoot 7mm-08 out of 280’s

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not just look and make sure you have the correct ammunition? If you're not illiterate it shouldn't be too difficult?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's amazing what one can make work in and "emergency" situation. About 30 years ago, there was a local murder case where an abused wife finally got tired of being her husband's punching bag. He roughed her up one night and then passed out. She retrieved one of his rifles, put a bullet in his head, left with the gun and disposed of it. The recovered bullet was rather odd and it took the ballistics lab awhile to determine what she used. Eventually it was determined she used his Winchester 94 .30/30. She knew nothing about guns/ammo and went through a shoebox of loose assorted ammo until she found something that would chamber. Turns out she managed to chamber and fire a .38 wadcutter into his noggin. The soft lead bullet swaged down thru the .30 hole and did the deed. That bullet was probably 2" long...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have accidentally fired 270 out of a 7mmRM at the range.
The bullet may exit the bore, but the brass split.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by hanco
I guess we can shoot 7mm-08 out of 280’s
I would imagine so, though I have not tried. The same conditions apply. GD

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If I'm not mistaken the neck of the 308 Win., is quite a bit thicker than that of the 30-06, and the case is so short that the neck doesn't even start into the neck chamber of the 30-06 barrel, and if it did it would be a force fit. Sounds like a good way to destroy a rifle and more. Ought to get the attention of the guy next to you though.

Phil

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In that big of an emergency

Just grab the 870

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by slumlord

Just grab the 870

If it's a 12 gauge, can I shoot 16 gauge shells in it?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by slumlord

Just grab the 870

If it's a 12 gauge, can I shoot 16 gauge shells in it?
sometimes. other times its not good....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, I'll go with 20 gauge then.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just when I thought the “do you leave your gun in your stand overnight” thread was the stupidest thing I e read on here, this little gem of a topic gets posted.
Place never ceases to amaze……

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,774
Posts18,515,658
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.