Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
That's my point. There's really no such thing as "I only have a 30-06 and .308 ammo AND an emergency that requires me to use them together". Whole thing is weird. And the EMP scenario - why would I have a rifle without rounds 100 miles from home AND rounds without rifle 100 miles from home at the same time?

Now, in defense of this "scenario," anyone dumb enough to put themselves into the situation of only having an '06 and .308 ammo while actually intending to hunt or shoot is probably dumb enough to make it enough of an "emergency" in their mind and shoot it instead of getting either the correct rifle or correct ammo.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Teal
That's my point. There's really no such thing as "I only have a 30-06 and .308 ammo AND an emergency that requires me to use them together". Whole thing is weird. And the EMP scenario - why would I have a rifle without rounds 100 miles from home AND rounds without rifle 100 miles from home at the same time?

Now, in defense of this "scenario," anyone dumb enough to put themselves into the situation of only having an '06 and .308 ammo while actually intending to hunt or shoot is probably dumb enough to make it enough of an "emergency" in their mind and shoot it instead of getting either the correct rifle or correct ammo.

QFT

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by persiandog
i know shooting 308 out of 30-06 is possible , but how about accuracy ?

assuming two identical rifles 308 and 30-06 , does 308 out of 30-06 is as accurate as on a 308 rifle?

Is this intended as a serious question or are you trying to stir trouble? Accuracy is almost certain to be horrible. 1) Overall length of an '06 is listed at 3.34", .308 as 2.80". That's a half inch more jump to the rifling. 2) the chamber of the '06 is much greater than of the .308. Since volume implies pressure implies velocity, you're probably going to lose several hundred fps at best. 3) Because the '06 chamber is longer than the .308 case you're very likely to rupture the case on firing. Obviously this is a serious safety problem but also because the pressure will be low, the chamber isn't going to seal so you'll lose even more pressure. It is not out of the realm of possibility that you'll stick the bullet in the bore.

I can't think of a single reason to do this. If you forgot your ammo, go home.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M
i know shooting 308 out of 30-06 is possible , but how about accuracy ?

assuming two identical rifles 308 and 30-06 , does 308 out of 30-06 is as accurate as on a 308 rifle?

Is this intended as a serious question or are you trying to stir trouble? Accuracy is almost certain to be horrible. 1) Overall length of an '06 is listed at 3.34", .308 as 2.80". That's a half inch more jump to the rifling. 2) the chamber of the '06 is much greater than of the .308. Since volume implies pressure implies velocity, you're probably going to lose several hundred fps at best. 3) Because the '06 chamber is longer than the .308 case you're very likely to rupture the case on firing. Obviously this is a serious safety problem but also because the pressure will be low, the chamber isn't going to seal so you'll lose even more pressure. It is not out of the realm of possibility that you'll stick the bullet in the bore.

I can't think of a single reason to do this. If you forgot your ammo, go home.

No worries ,the second round will clear the barrel of the first round and probably get rid of some unwanted fingers.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
there is no lewis and clark in any of you , you have to pee into the wind , be a pioneer and ask questions.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
there is no lewis and clark in any of you , you have to pee into the wind , be a pioneer and ask questions.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. REALLY smart people learn from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes.

Stupid people shoot .308 out of 30-06.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by goalie

Smart people learn from their mistakes. REALLY smart people learn from OTHER PEOPLE'S mistakes.

This is true. Other folks' mistakes cost me a lot less than my own. In other words, y' gotta weigh the cost of peeing into the wind. In this case the potential cost far outweighs any potential gain and that cost is much more probable than imagined benefits.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
If the emergency is a genuine emergency, you may very well have to fire a 308 in 30-06 if you want to live
Sometimes in life the crunch comes on so fast you got to do what ever it takes
Kenneth

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Lewis and Clark were not that stupid. I can't beleive this thread is still going.

What's next? Your thinking of sticking your dick in a meat grinder cuz you heard it will come out longer?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RAM

Lewis and Clark were not that stupid. I can't beleive this thread is still going.

What's next? Your thinking of sticking your dick in a meat grinder cuz you heard it will come out longer?

That should be a clothes ringer.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Has everyone who has posted since this video was put up watched it?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
very educational thread , read it and ignore the noise makers. there are no stupid questions , but plenty of stupid answers.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Kenneth66
If the emergency is a genuine emergency, you may very well have to fire a 308 in 30-06 if you want to live
Sometimes in life the crunch comes on so fast you got to do what ever it takes
Kenneth

If it was an off the charts emergency you could just stab it with your rifle really hard. Or whack it like Yosemite Sam and the camel.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Some have. Most seem to have not.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Yeah, and the purpose of the video was not to promote doing it. Amazingly, someone at .gov foresaw the human error issue and steps were taken to mitigate catastrophic failure. NOT PROMOTE A SECOND AMMO !!

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Lewis and Clark were able to complete their exploration by not doing stupid schit.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 700LH
Originally Posted by JoeBob
How about we have a massive EMP attack as your emergency? You are separated from your home and family when it happens. You happen to have a 30-06 and half a dozen shells in your now inoperable truck. You have a 100 mile walk back to your home. Everyone is freaking out and [bleep] is getting hairy. You find a box of .308 under your seat that you didn’t know was up under there. Now, isn’t it nice to know that you can shoot that too if you have to pop a cap in some recent migrant who is about to rape some pretty 20 year old girl beside the road?

As for danger of it, what danger? Same size bullet and there will be much less pressure than normal because the case doesn’t make it anywhere near the front of the chamber. No danger at all. Accuracy may suffer.
100 mile to go hunting would be like 100 miles to go fishing, you take two poles/riles to begin with.

I forgot to mention that I already shot all the 7-08 ammo I had at rampaging Somalies so now that rifle is useless. The 30-06 ammo is all I have left after slaying numerous giant bucks and half a dozen does that weekend. The .308 was found under the seat of my truck along with a $20 bill, two packs of ketchup, half a chicken finger, one empty glock magazine, 42 .22 shells, and eight french fries. There is also one bottle of water which under normal circumstances I would be hesitant to drink as that the plastic has surely degraded after spending the summer under the seat.

So now, I have to make it home. I figure to use the .22 to barter for sex and food after the moldy chicken finger and fries give out. The 30-06 and the .308 ammo will obviously be used for protection and/or to become warlord and leader of my own band of misfits in the new era of apocalypse.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No! Hell no! Try not to do stupid stuff intentionally.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Accuracy may suck. Pressure will be lower, but not that much lower. The case, in it's role as a gasket, will function as it should. The neck may split, but likely not.
I fired 300 win mag through a 300 Weatherby. This produced about the same amount of jump as the 308 in a 30/06. It shot OK but POI was off by eight inches at 100. The fired case had about .1" of neck.
There are ammo mix ups which can be very dangerous; this isn't one of them. GD

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by greydog
Accuracy may suck. Pressure will be lower, but not that much lower. The case, in it's role as a gasket, will function as it should. The neck may split, but likely not.
I fired 300 win mag through a 300 Weatherby. This produced about the same amount of jump as the 308 in a 30/06. It shot OK but POI was off by eight inches at 100. The fired case had about .1" of neck.
There are ammo mix ups which can be very dangerous; this isn't one of them. GD
the bullet enters the barrel and spins as it should,what is causing the inaccuracy ?

is it vibration of barrel ?

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 6mmbrfan, 16penny, 14 invisible), 1,562 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,966
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.