[Linked Image]
It makes a good wall hanger with the sling
[Linked Image]
Ready to hop on a horse and go elk hunting
[Linked Image]

Last edited by wyo1895; 12/29/23.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by czech1022
All right, guys - I'M KEEPING THE STAPLE. And I ordered a ring from Homestead Parts.

Thanks for the mention of a ring, Norm, but I think I'm all fixed up.

I may get a factory letter as a New Years gift to myself - $75 + $5 shipping - the webpage says it'll take 5 weeks or so from the time I order it. I think it'll be really interesting to see how it started off.

If you can wait till March 16th I'll be going to the Baltimore show. Cody will be there and they do searches while you wait for $5. The search has all the same info, less the fancy paper. I got 6 last year, I think four for Joe Brady and 2 for me. If it's some fantastic news like it was owned by someone famous, you can get the letter later. If it's just all the info the guys gave you, you can go out to dinner. I did my 1902 engraved rifle. The guys told me every thing on the search. Then I did my 1929 engraved K with the owners initials carved in the stock JM. Turned out that was bought new by the California Artist, Jo Mora, I'm getting a letter for that one.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Czech. Something else about "Letters" and "Searches". Your rifle is quite interesting, so if you want me to do a search, it's only $5, I'll get it for you, just so I can be the first to know. I'll text you the search as soon as I read it. But some guys have got searches and then said they were going to get a letter to see what else is there? Nope, nothing else. In the pic below, the one on the left has a bunch of special order stuff. Mine on the right, only has "K". The "K" has engraving, checkering, fancy wood, maybe a couple more special features. But, they don't list them, because that's what a "K" is. Next to the K is some work and job order numbers, but those records were lost long ago, so they just mean the rifle went back to the factory on that date for, "something". So, if your search comes back and just says 1899H that would make a boring letter. If it comes back with more info, and a famous owner, yeah, get the letter.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 12/29/23.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Joe, that's a great offer, and I will take you up on it!

If you would post the results here and email me the search (it's easier for me to put in my records if it's an email), I'd appreciate it, and I'm sure several people here would like to see the results, too.

PM me your address and I'll send you the $5.

Thank you!

Rick

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a beautiful 99G in 30-30 that was once an 1899H in 22HP, and it was redone at the factory with the factory letter stating so. Maybe something similar happened here?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I suspect that's exactly what happened. And I'd sure love it if the search told the story!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the last two years I have had some 'gunshow' searches ran and was charged $10 each, which still is not bad compared to $75 each + $5 for mailing. Several I ran were for guns that had some work done, most showed that were returned to the factory for unspecified work, one did not.

Gene
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you have a Colt revolver problem too. ??
How's about a pic of those?

Originally Posted by wyo1895
[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK, kinda sick today. May be tomorrow before I get pics. I also have a left-handed German Weatherby problem and a Ruger #1 problem

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick, here are pics of the wall of pistols. Many of the SSA's are from when we were cowboy action shooters but I've had one of them since I was 15. It's the gun I've had the longest. More on it below.
[Linked Image]
The second pistol from the right in the top row is a 22 magnum that I got in 1961 when I was 15. Mama had to buy it for me. I wasn't old enough to buy a pistol, but it was my money. I worked as a house painter for my Father in the Summers while I was in high school and college. George Pasteur's Sport Shop in Ocala had it. George gave me a gift certificate for high school graduation in 1963 and I used it to buy the pearl grips. That was before I knew George Patton's opinion of pearl grips.
[Linked Image]
Bottom of the right side of the wall. I had to take two pics of the right side because I couldn't back up far enough to get the whole side in one pic.
[Linked Image]
The other pearl handled Colt that is in all 3 pics is engraved and has a history with some trick shooters. You can see the grip in the upper left of the last photo. It's a left handed grip with a carved steer's head.

Last edited by wyo1895; 01/03/24.

wyo1895
[email protected]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's even one rogue Savage pistol!

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Savage pistol came with a batch of 99's that I bought. The batch also included a Savage 101 pistol that DSR got from me when he came out hunt elk.
While I was out there I took a pic of the 1899H SRC with a modern saddle ring sling.
[Linked Image]
I'll bet the guy who came up with that idea thought he had a new invention. I imagine it was first developed for the military for M16's or M4's.

wyo1895
[email protected]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,443
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.