Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Dove in to save the dog.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anc...an-missing-in-north-fork-of-eagle-river/

Nurse was trying to save family dog when she went under the ice in North Fork of Eagle River
By Tess Williams
Updated: 12 hours ago
Published: 17 hours ago

Search efforts continued Tuesday for a woman who disappeared after jumping into the North Fork of Eagle River to try to save her family’s dog after it fell through the ice.

Family of 45-year-old Eagle River resident Amanda Richmond Rogers, who also went by Mandy, described her as an animal lover and as a devoted mother.

She was walking with her husband, Brian Rogers, and two of their dogs along the North Fork Eagle River trail on Saturday afternoon when one of the dogs fell through the ice while trying to drink water from a small opening, Brian Rogers wrote in a statement. He went into the water first to try to save the dog but couldn’t find it, he said.

As he got out of the water, Rogers said, he saw his wife getting in.

“I knew from the look on her face she was going in to save our dog,” Rogers wrote. “She is an emergency room nurse, trained to help and save people. In this situation, she was going to save our dog. I yelled but doubt she even heard me as she was completely concentrating on saving the dog. Before I could get back to the opening to try and grab her I could see her SWIMMING downstream under the ice and then out of sight. I waited and waited and am still waiting.”

Rogers said they went in after the dog because their instincts kicked in — Richmond Rogers loved her dogs fiercely and considered them to be part of her family.

“She did not jump in to save ‘just a dog,’ it was a family member,” Rogers wrote. “To me and our four boys she died a hero.”

Anchorage police and firefighters responded on Saturday, and the Department of Public Safety used a helicopter to search by air, troopers said. A wildlife trooper also helped with the ground search.

Search efforts paused as daylight faded. The Alaska Dive Search, Rescue, and Recovery Team began searching under the ice on Sunday morning. Responders did not locate Richmond.

Tuesday’s search was set to continue during daylight hours, troopers said. Groups involved include the dive search team, Alaska Solstice Search Dogs, and troopers.

Richmond Rogers’ family has been devastated by her disappearance, her sister Jennifer Richmond said.

Richmond Rogers was celebrating her 18th wedding anniversary with her husband on Saturday when she went missing, Brian Rogers said. They’d planned a special day together to celebrate and were looking forward to celebrating Christmas with their four boys and visiting family members, he said.

The couple met while both working in the medical field in Texas and moved to Alaska for Rogers’ work in the Air Force, Jennifer Richmond said. They fell in love with Alaska and made it their forever home, Richmond said.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texans not recognizing a predictable winter hazard and suffering the consequences... RIP...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Incredibly stupid.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
awful news. prayers for the family

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
invincible , I'll just jump into this icy water and grab the pooch, hold my fingernail polish and watch this. E-room nurse . Just wow.

IC B2

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Hit the Deer you can buy another Vehicle ..

Sad ..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can’t tell a nurse anything.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
What an idiot. So she’s gonna swim under the ice and what swim back with the dog? Fuk that stupid dog for falling in

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Decisions have consequences. Sad.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I think that was not thought through, and was an emotional decision.

Tragic.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
simonkenton7;
Morning sir, I hope that Christmas was kind to you and you're having a mild winter like we seem to be thus far.

As a kid in Saskatchewan, every other year or so we'd hear about someone going through the ice when it wasn't quite thick enough for ice fishing.

We had family who lived in the FN and Metis town of Cumberland House, SK for a few years, after the all weather road had been completed but before the bridge was built in '96.

The town was across the Saskatchewan River which is a fairly big one, not like the Fraser quite, but not nothing, and the only way to get to town was the ferry until the river froze. Then the trick was to have your car or truck parked on the side of the river you needed it to be, because people would walk across it beside a row boat until the ice got thick enough to drive on.

Of course being northern Saskatchewan, the first vehicles over were snowmobiles, but it wasn't unheard of to have the first pickup across disappear forever.

I always thought about that when crossing it in the winter and to this day don't like ice fishing on lakes with too much river current running under them.

What a way to go, though admittedly none of us is making off this ride we call life alive.

All the best to you in the New Year and do watch that thin ice in North Carolina.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take notes, another convincing method of getting rid of a unwanted body ya got layin' around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is sad! Praying for the family!!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just informed my wife to let the dog die.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or vise versa

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

Tragic.

Ya Like the Black Jesus ..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Those boys can take comfort in knowing the dog meant more than they did. In five or six years that dog would have been dead anyway but those boys will spend the next 30 or 40 years without a mom and their kids without a grandmother.

I love my animals but man was that stupid.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Tragic.

Yep.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The river is moving, The dog is going downstream with the river. She has to get to the dog and back to the hole in the ice. This is ridiculous.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Eagle river can flow fast too.

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” Tolkien
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,078
Posts18,521,793
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.