Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
“Ha I'm 38. Probably younger than most contributing to talk about pre 64 rifles. Have no love for the black rifles. Wood/blue for me. Have yet to find my first pre64.”

Well you for sure aren’t a typical youngster, think more like an old geezer.

Ha!

Good for you. At least you got some class.

DF

I got class too DF... Whadda got that needs thinning whistle

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunscrew
offered my son a 48 or 49 model 70 marked 30 gov't 03 (no typo), he chose a H & R Ultra rifle.

I'd disown him!!! ha ha..
If he’d have had the option of a black rifle, bet he’d have picked it over both.

It’s a generational thing. Just us old fart who’d know what a pre-64 was, must less want one.

DF

Sadly, I have seen the same thing. My model 70 collection will have more value as tomatoe stakes than collector pieces when I am dead.
I've done some thinking along those lines. Would it pay for us seasoned citizens to start marketing some of the guns in our safe that we aren't actually using?

I don't even like thinking that, but reality does eventually set in. And leaving it all for our loved ones to sort out may not be the best option.

DF
Sounds like a good time to start making some these available to us younger followers at BARGIN prices ! 😀

Hell yes. The younger guys that appreciate them is who they should go to.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
“Ha I'm 38. Probably younger than most contributing to talk about pre 64 rifles. Have no love for the black rifles. Wood/blue for me. Have yet to find my first pre64.”

Ha!

DF

Amen.. Thanks to the younger guys here that love these old rifles..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Ha!

DF

I got class too DF... Whadda got that needs thinning whistle

Yeah, but you is old... ha ha,..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
offered my son a 48 or 49 model 70 marked 30 gov't 03 (no typo), he chose a H & R Ultra rifle.

If he’d have had the option of a black rifle, bet he’d have picked it over both.

It’s a generational thing. Just us old fart who’d know what a pre-64 was, must less want one.

DF

Sadly, I have seen the same thing. My model 70 collection will have more value as tomatoe stakes than collector pieces when I am dead.
I've done some thinking along those lines. Would it pay for us seasoned citizens to start marketing some of the guns in our safe that we aren't actually using?

I don't even like thinking that, but reality does eventually set in. And leaving it all for our loved ones to sort out may not be the best option.

DF
Sounds like a good time to start making some these available to us younger followers at BARGIN prices ! 😀

Get in line.. You find enough deals..

We're working on DF here grin

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

DF

DF

Get in line.. You find enough deals..

We're working on DF here grin

Ha ha...

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just don't know near enough about these yet to figure out where pricing should be on different p64's. Yes I know alot depends on condition and originality, but other than looking at what's for sale on GB and what's not selling at asking prices. Seems to vary widely. I'm most interested in a rifle that been taken care of not abused. Some history marks are no deal breaker. Rust or freckling would be turn-off. Bluing loss at the typical places is ok... like the slight worn look that shows usage. Most interested in 270 because I already shoot it. Not sure on standard or fwt or if it matters. I do like the stocks with the inletted butt plate. Hope haven't shown my cards here. Would be nice to here some thoughts on current decent/fair pricing for different rifles. I've already had huntershooter58 offer up a nice rifle, but I'm just not even sure where an offer should land.

You'll shoot your eye out
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just don't know near enough about these yet to figure out where pricing should be on different p64's. Yes I know alot depends on condition and originality, but other than looking at what's for sale on GB and what's not selling at asking prices. Seems to vary widely. I'm most interested in a rifle that been taken care of not abused. Some history marks are no deal breaker. Rust or freckling would be turn-off. Bluing loss at the typical places is ok... like the slight worn look that shows usage. Most interested in 270 because I already shoot it. Not sure on standard or fwt or if it matters. I do like the stocks with the inletted butt plate. Hope haven't shown my cards here. Would be nice to here some thoughts on current decent/fair pricing for different rifles. I've already had huntershooter58 offer up a nice rifle, but I'm just not even sure where an offer should land.

Good questions. My question is do you want a shooter or a collectors piece? Both gunnut and huntershooter58 are great guys. They won't steer you wrong, or take advantage of you. So, I guess we would need more info on what it is exactly that you are wanting. I know you are looking for a blued/wood stock specimen. For your first pre 64, it should be a nice one. Take your time, and weigh out what it is exactly you want. The 270 winchester pre 64 is the epitome of pre 64's. The STD's tend to shoot a little better than the FWT's, but don't be afraid of that either. Most fwt 270's I've seen, have shot lights out.

If you are interested in a std wt with a custom stock, I'd post it up here and ask the guys what they think a good deal for the rifle would be. Then we could go from there. That way it's right out in the open, and fair.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Good questions. My question is do you want a shooter or a collectors piece? Both gunnut and huntershooter58 are great guys. They won't steer you wrong, or take advantage of you. So, I guess we would need more info on what it is exactly that you are wanting. I know you are looking for a blued/wood stock specimen. For your first pre 64, it should be a nice one. Take your time, and weigh out what it is exactly you want. The 270 winchester pre 64 is the epitome of pre 64's. The STD's tend to shoot a little better than the FWT's, but don't be afraid of that either. Most fwt 270's I've seen, have shot lights out.

If you are interested in a std wt with a custom stock, I'd post it up here and ask the guys what they think a good deal for the rifle would be. Then we could go from there. That way it's right out in the open, and fair.
Definitely not interested in a collector that I'd be hesitant to real use and would be more $ than I care to spend. A shooter grade fits the bill. On the better end of shooter grade. I'm not at all opposed to a rifle that has great metal but the stock could use a refresh. All original is preferred. Thanks for the offer bsa. Wouldn't mind a little more info and a picture.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Here is one I ran across. What's the general opinion on this rifle?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1019492915

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I'd be all over a rifle like that myself. While I do like the aluminum buttplate a tiny bit more, for a clean rifle like that, I'd overlook it. For a rifle like that, I'd expect to pay 1200-1400 bucks. The 270 Featherweight is THE rifle if you carry your rifle.

Just my opinion, so folks might not even slow down if they saw it laying in the street, but as a hunter, I like clean rifles but they don't need to be perfect.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That is a nice original specimen. 1959 fwt with composite butt plate. Keeping in mind, those are not as desirable as the earlier ones with the aluminum butt plates. That would make someone a great rifle though. Price is not out of reason. The only thing that would concern me is the slight corrosion on the front hood. The rest of the rifle looks pretty good though I'd probably want to see pictures of the action out of the stock, to make sure there are no rust issues.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I'd be all over a rifle like that myself. While I do like the aluminum buttplate a tiny bit more, for a clean rifle like that, I'd overlook it. For a rifle like that, I'd expect to pay 1200-1400 bucks. The 270 Featherweight is THE rifle if you carry your rifle.

Just my opinion, so folks might not even slow down if they saw it laying in the street, but as a hunter, I like clean rifles but they don't need to be perfect.

Like^^

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yea I like the butt plate with the little beak on the top thT protrudes into the butt. Are both the standard/steel and fwt/aluminum like that? When did they switch to plastic?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yea I like the butt plate with the little beak on the top thT protrudes into the butt. Are both the standard/steel and fwt/aluminum like that? When did they switch to plastic?

Around 58/59. I have seen 59's with metal. I think it just depended on the day. If they happened to find one when or a bunch, they must've just got put on the guns. No perfect rhyme or reason.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I think mine is a 56 but don't hold me to it.

Last edited by beretzs; 01/03/24.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess my 7mm-08 FWT from Resneck is a Christmas M70. Just not here yet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
I guess my 7mm-08 FWT from Resneck is a Christmas M70. Just not here yet.

Coming from redneck, I’d expect it to be a damn good rifle. Congrats!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GeoW
Wow Gunner, Good living paid off again!

Thanks GW, same thing my Gunsmith said yesterday, then he said, he should take more showers ; ]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Beautiful FWT Big B, think mines a 1960, it has the composite butt plate, and BSA is right too, mines bone stock, no float, no bed, no trigger tickling, no nothing, that little heifer will stack all the 150gr NPT's you care to waste into neat little circles.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve not seen many sick P64 270’s that don’t shoot pretty darned good.

Semper Fi
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 36 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.