Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I wish her luck!

Don’t know schit about bull riding, but from what I’ve watched, most riders seem to be little wiry guys. Maybe 5’8-9 and 140-150#? She may well be able to compete with the men. Ain’t like anybody is gonna muscle a bull.

That’s what I was thinking. Less mass in her upper body, less momentum to overcome in all those sudden changes of direction. Plus she’s been doing it in one form or another growing up and so will have developed the hands and arms for it (bones grow in response to how you load them, which is why our leg ones are heavier than our arm bones).

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was just reading about this kid yesterday, not a bull rider or a girl but...

December 20, 2023 
They say nice guys finish last but the opposite was the case in the Junior World Finals in Las Vegas last week. Azreal Lara, an easygoing, low-key 15 year old teenager out of Columbia Falls, MT. competed in the senior bareback division and came home a World Champion.

LINK

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
VERY small.

The Indians do pretty well on the local circuits.

Anything higher than that you need FU money.

Unbelievably expensive even at the high-school level.

I ddin't realize how MUCH money until a local family re-mortgaged their paid off house so kiddo could rodeo.

Not how I would prioritize expenses, but not my money so I don't get a vote.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Looks like she has the will and the attitude, good for her.

Only thing she’s lacking is upper and lower body strength but that’s not really important when competing with men who have the same drive and attitude

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ironbender
I still have my son’s bull riding vest and bag if anyone has a kid/grandkid that is interested.
We got Richards bull vest and rope from the pawn shop.

His rosin bag is new.

Still shopping for a helmet. He has been borrowing one.

NOT looking for a handout. Just making conversation.
Kid had two helmets - outgrew first. Both sold. Rope sold too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Seems to me that someone would need a pretty strong arm to hold themselves in position.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I still have my son’s bull riding vest and bag if anyone has a kid/grandkid that is interested.
We got Richards bull vest and rope from the pawn shop.

His rosin bag is new.

Still shopping for a helmet. He has been borrowing one.

NOT looking for a handout. Just making conversation.
Kid had two helmets - outgrew first. Both sold. Rope sold too.

We have found that youth hockey helmets are pretty much the same thing, cheaper and more ubiquitous.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by smokepole
Damn stupid way to die.

Originally Posted by stxhunter
“I don’t care about what anyone else thinks,” she said. “I do this for me.”

More power to her.

At 17 she has no concept of the danger risk-reward. IMHO minors should not be allowed.
That depends at 17 I was an adult.

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

Some mature at different ages! That is very apparent on this very forum! 😉. Some never reach maturity! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/29/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I wish her well, but based on my experience women just can't do what men can do.
Women in any professional sport with men?.....GMAFB.
Ridiculous.
Your mileage may based on your wokeness.

If she can do it, let her do it.

If she can't, she will fail, learn some life lessons and move on.

As far as "Women in any professional sport with men?.....GMAFB."

Making dumb blanket statements, says a lot.

There have been more than a few guys that have had to eat their ignorant arrogance when my oldest daughter has shown up and out ridden, and out shot them right into the dirt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

They sound like you with their "Yer just a lil lady, you can't ride with the Real Men".

When she was 11, I gave her a pair of matched .45 Colts for Christmas. She has taken them to the National and World Championships in mounted shooting. I guess I forgot to tell her that she was just a girl, and could not handle them.

But then she has been shooting .45s since she was barely able to swing them up.

Campfire members have even sent her some practice ammo for Christmas in the past, like these semi wadcutters from RJM:

And just FYI, that is a Utah State Championship buckle she has her .45 Colt tucked behind. She beat all the boys there too.

cool

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had a really close friends son near Klamath Falls go the saddlebronc, bareback route.

He got hurt bad, recovered and now is working at a top notch outfit in Baker.

So glad he made it out fairly sound.

Bulls earn my utmost respect, but it seems being kicked inadvertently by a bull would not have the ability to cause trauma due to the split hooves, and imagine if the horse is shod?

I used to have a neighbor that raised bucking bulls…..I once pregchecked an own daughter of hobo.

Seemed them bulls weren’t near as threatening as the Jersey bulls I had along my fence when I lived in the magic valley. It was comforting to have my dog with ….that’s for sure.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/29/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Girls/Women that can keep up with or even surpass Boys/Men are Amazing, and it's only when standards are reduced based on sex while given the same accolades of competency does Society suffer. While it may not be considered traditional, and sometimes can hinder them in other areas, I fully support females in their Free Will to do as they may and accomplish what they shall. Weak men are more dangerous than Strong women, and for that I fully support women in living their best life.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from the-sun.com]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Anything involving strength as a major contributing factor in success when competing against men that actually compete, a female is gonna lose out every time.

Serena Williams arguably one of the most dominating female tennis players to ever pick up a racket, while in her prime, lost an exhibition match to a 203rd ranked male player.

She unabashedly told David Letterman when discussing such things, "If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose, 6-0, 6-0, in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes," Williams told Letterman. "The men are a lot faster, they serve harder, they hit harder. … It's a completely different game."

I wish the young lady well, but nothing will change physics. Maybe my understanding of a big part of what it takes to be successful in that sport is flawed and strength has little to do with it, but I don't think so.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mac Sage slaying sacred cows is the premier attraction of the CF these days.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Damn stupid way to die.

There's more to living than being afraid to die.
Very nicely stated.. Kudos...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Mac Sage slaying sacred cows is the premier attraction of the CF these days.

mike r

LOL,

Teaching kids skill sets is important. Regardless of if they are boys or girls. 14 year Girls can shoot, kill and help haul out an elk and contribute to filling the freezer, just like a 14 year old boy. In this case it was a single 375 yard shot perfectly placed right behind the shoulder. Exactly where I told her to. We practiced and she was deadly with her little .308. Still is.

I told her I wanted her to imagine the bullet entering behind the shoulder and exiting the offside shoulder. That is where she put it.

Here is the pic of the exit. 155 Scenar. Dang target bullets!

That quarter sized hole in the center of the shoulder is the exit.

And another she put in the freezer.

Funny thing is we sat one day and watched these four bulls walk by out in the open, waiting for some cows to come along...

Cows definitely taste better!

I have had plenty of racks in the past, and frankly I just don't care anymore. My kids all have been taught that it is not about ego or "points" It is about family time and filling the freezer.

Kids, boys or girls should learn skill sets. No matter if that is fire building or cooking a roast, or French toast.

Teach them all how to use sharp objects, whether that is a kitchen knife or an axe or hatchet. That is a much smarter things than saying "don't touch that".

Raising an independent little wolverine that is self reliant, self sufficient, and not to be messed with is a good thing. Dad won't be around forever, but the lessons taught can be passed on.

smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
When she was 11, I gave her a pair of matched .45 Colts for Christmas. She has taken them to the National and World Championships in mounted shooting. I guess I forgot to tell her that she was just a girl, and could not handle them.

Really cool photos Mac. I like this one because even though she was only 11 and I'm sure she was excited to get the Colts, she still had the presence of mind to keep both trigger fingers in the right spot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I wish her the best of luck chasing her dream. Without dreams life can be rather mundane and lead to unhappy grumpiness.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Girls/Women that can keep up with or even surpass Boys/Men are Amazing, and it's only when standards are reduced based on sex while given the same accolades of competency does Society suffer. While it may not be considered traditional, and sometimes can hinder them in other areas, I fully support females in their Free Will to do as they may and accomplish what they shall. Weak men are more dangerous than Strong women, and for that I fully support women in living their best life.

Does the military, law enforcement fire fighters have the same physical fitness requirements for men and women?

If so why not?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK

Does the military, law enforcement fire fighters have the same physical fitness requirements for men and women?

If so why not?

They do not …….but, should!

Bull riding does not require a great deal of strength, great balance a good reflexes ….. 8 seconds is not an endurance event! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/29/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (1minute, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,896 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,208
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.