-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations, that is a fine, fine buck !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great write up and congratulations on a great buck.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some good tips here! My go-to is taking a sleeping bag with me to the blind/stand. Boots may or may not come off also. There’s always a cut-off piece of closed cell foam under my feet. Those milsurp 3 part bags work well for this; I usually opt for the big green bag. Bag stays up to my shoulders and I ease it down when needed. If it’s cold I always cover my head/neck/face well. And like Sitka said, never hike in wearing too much. If hiking in is not chilly-to-cold, you’re wearing too much. Stuff everything in a roomy backpack. It’s difficult, but I have donned many layers sitting in a tree stand😊
These days I frequently hunt in pop-up blinds. Much easier then, and wind resistant. I have not done it, but would not hesitate to run a small heater if that’s what it took to make the hunt work. I’ve found that getting older reduces my cold tolerance, too.

Good sitting!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
There is a downside to all those layers of clothes. Year ago, we went deer hunting as a group in Iowa. I was just posting. One of the walkers was a big, strong, strapping fellow. Came to us from walking a creek at the end.

Walking real funny. Asked if he fell and hurt a leg? NO< I s h i t myself and could not get those layers off fast enough! LOL...another buddy and I cracked up laughing, much to his dismay. He got lucky, one of our group owned the ground and lived across the gravel road, so he could get cleaned up.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
SG offers a sleeping bag with sleeves. Maybe worth checking out for stand/post hunting.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very interesting thread. I've never experienced that kind of cold

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't think anyone mentioned using vapor barrier socks. I used them for the first time this year and they worked - my boots weren't wet inside from perspiration. I didn't do much walking as I got to my stand with an ATV. I have owned vapor barrier socks for years, but was afraid to use them because I thought they would make my feet sweat too much. They didn't. I don't know what would have happened if I did a lot of walking.

Many years ago I operated heavy equipment and wore Sorel pack boots with wool felt liners. I wasn't doing any walking, but did use my feet to control the machine. My feet sweated a lot, and the felt boot liners were soaked. My feet were very cold. I wish I had tried vapor barrier socks - or even plastic bags - over my socks back then. Of course, I didn't have a boot dryer at home, either.

When I hunted Colorado over 30 years ago I used liner socks under medium weight socks. We hiked a lot, and my feet were sweaty. I changed socks at least once a day. We hunted out of tents, so drying clothes became an issue.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, our Peet boot dryer is in constant use, once the cold hits !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dress warm, not bundled up tight. You need a little space between layers.

Snacks, your body produces heat as you digest.

Those new to me reflective socks are a very welcome addition.

I am just your average Joe.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wolf puppies...

I was on stand at 13 degrees, daylight coming in, freezing my arse off, when a few hundred yards behind me, on a lake, there was a sudden outburst of agitated duck quacking, followed by high pitched frustrated wolf puppie barking.

Warmed me right up, I was laughing so hard, picturing it.

Last edited by las; 12/31/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Some good tips here! My go-to is taking a sleeping bag with me to the blind/stand. Boots may or may not come off also. There’s always a cut-off piece of closed cell foam under my feet. Those milsurp 3 part bags work well for this; I usually opt for the big green bag. Bag stays up to my shoulders and I ease it down when needed

I have only been to Saskatchewan once. I usually do not hunt in extremally cold weather. So I do not own a lot of the items mentioned here. The sleeping bag worked out very well for me. My hunting buddy has a big commercial sewing machine. he sewed a single shoulder strap on the sleeping bag to keep it up on my left shoulder. Its easy to slide it off your shoulder to make a shot. It kept me plenty warm and I didn't spend a lot of $$$ on cold weather gear.

However, If I lived and hunted in extreme temps I would certainly own the proper equipment.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Nothing to do with the cold but about sitting for a long time in the stand. As I got older I lost some padding on my backside and I learned while duck hunting sitting in a boat on a hard seat you need something to sit on, a boad cussion gets as hard as the seat after a while . My buddy and I bought innertubes for for lawn tractor rear wheels. They work well bit only inflate them to the point that the top and bottom does not touch, takes some trial and error but when you get it right it allows a longer sit between standing up.

The more I get to know people, the better I like dogs, life is short, eat dessert first.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

257 members (12344mag, 160user, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 28 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,452
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.