Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Windfall
Maybe because I grew up using Leupold Duplex reticles, I've always favored the Plex four sided heavier crosshairs. The 4A looks incomplete and open ended, but a lot of the forum guys do like that one. I'm not sure if your 3.5-10x42 will be a first or second plane reticle and that might influence your decision. My 2.5-10x42 30 mm Swarovski is a 1st plane Plex style reticle and those outside sections of the reticle appear to get very large up in the higher power ranges. I know that they cover the same amount as the lower power settings, but they do look large. I do like the #8 plex style first plane reticle in my 1.5-6x42 Zeiss. Here in the Midwest we don't shoot that far, so any hold over multi grid reticle is pretty worthless because we don't hold high on anything.

* As far as I know, Swarovski does not make a "First focal plane scope".

Last edited by Synoptic; 01/05/24.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Synoptic
Originally Posted by Windfall
Maybe because I grew up using Leupold Duplex reticles, I've always favored the Plex four sided heavier crosshairs. The 4A looks incomplete and open ended, but a lot of the forum guys do like that one. I'm not sure if your 3.5-10x42 will be a first or second plane reticle and that might influence your decision. My 2.5-10x42 30 mm Swarovski is a 1st plane Plex style reticle and those outside sections of the reticle appear to get very large up in the higher power ranges. I know that they cover the same amount as the lower power settings, but they do look large. I do like the #8 plex style first plane reticle in my 1.5-6x42 Zeiss. Here in the Midwest we don't shoot that far, so any hold over multi grid reticle is pretty worthless because we don't hold high on anything.

* As far as I know, Swarovski does not make a "First focal plane scope".

I believe the scope he's talking about comes under the heading of "did make" not does make.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m looking to purchase the Swarovski 3.5 - 10 x 42 with a one inch tube. There are leaf springs as opposed to the newer ‘coil springs’. The reticle is wire and not etched unless one opts for the BRX or the BRH. And, unless one decides to get the 50mm objective, there is no parallax adjustment. However, I’m looking for simplicity in this scope. What reticle would you guys prefer on a hunt> I’m simply not interested in the Z5, Z6, or Z8. I can get a really good price on one.

* The crosshairs on the PLEX are: .18 Crosshairs and .77 Post.
On the 4a: .24 Crosshairs and 1.84 Post. Here are some pictures. I was opting or looking at the 4A to purchase. All replies are appreciated. Happy New Year.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Plex is fine in these, works well enough. 4A is even better and the one that I prefer. Not a fan of either of the other 2

Last edited by gunchamp; 01/05/24.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The 4a reticle in Swarovski Z3 scopes is absolutely my favorite hunting reticle. The Z6 series scopes have a much finer 4a reticle that I don't like.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
The 4a reticle in Swarovski Z3 scopes is absolutely my favorite hunting reticle. The Z6 series scopes have a much finer 4a reticle that I don't like.

Thanks very much. I'm contemplating on moving to the Swarovski Z5 2.4-12x50 - Plex 59770 whereas there's more elevation.

Last edited by Synoptic; 01/06/24.

Romans 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Not being a LR hunter, the 4a is my favorite of all hunting reticles.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a BRH and I’m pretty happy with it. I have a couple of Kahles with the #4 heavy wires and a Leica with the 4A illuminated. All good!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I am told Swarovski has more issues with the Z5 series than all the others. I run Z3's with the BRH reticle and since I don't dial much they work very well for me and have taken game out to over 400 yards.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I am told Swarovski has more issues with the Z5 series than all the others. I run Z3's with the BRH reticle and since I don't dial much they work very well for me and have taken game out to over 400 yards.

Thanks very much, most appreciated. I appreciate those details regarding the Z5. I'll most purchase the Z3, only with the 'Plex' reticle (Wire) as opposed to etched glass in the 'BRH'. It is a Lifetime Warranty so it makes no difference. As the only difference are leaf springs in the Z3 and the Z5 and later models employing 'coils'. To be honest, I've never had any issues with wire at all from Nikon, Leupold, Bushnell, and Bausch and Lomb.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I hate to be the Debbie Downer on this thread but I just don't get it..........

I would never part with either of my Swarovski binoculars or spotting scopes but the rifle scope you are looking at is just not worth the money and much better options are available from several manufacturers

Swarovski makes excellent Binoculars and spotting scopes, perhaps the best.......but their rifle scopes SUCK and are over priced
This. Look elsewhere. Especially with the Z series and their plastic turrets!

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by boatanchor
I hate to be the Debbie Downer on this thread but I just don't get it..........

I would never part with either of my Swarovski binoculars or spotting scopes but the rifle scope you are looking at is just not worth the money and much better options are available from several manufacturers

Swarovski makes excellent Binoculars and spotting scopes, perhaps the best.......but their rifle scopes SUCK and are over priced
This. Look elsewhere. Especially with the Z series and their plastic turrets!

* You're not the first to make mention of the Swarvoski being over priced. I value your opinion as I'm aware of all the specs of the scope. The problem in mounting to a Winchester M70 is the distance of the ocular and bell end distance. I use rings, no picatinny rail when I mount a scope. I'm aware of the plastic caps, yet the Z3 has a 1" tube which I prefer to mount on a Winchester french Walnut Supergrade. This has been the main issue, not cost in terms of finding a scope that I can move forward or backward enough to mount (Rings). I cannot tell you how many brands I've considered only to have the wrong spacing as to mount on a M70. I do not have the specs readily available but I believe at least 5 inches are required, unsure. Maybe, you can direct me to a scope with a 1" tube with good glass to fit an M70. I have the 30mm tubes but the Winchester French Walnut Supergrade is somewhat more refined (less mass) than the New Haven models which I have as well. Do not wish to mount a 30mm tube whereas there is very little if any distance for twilight or anything else; at least with the BACO model. Here is a pic which many brands hide. Why they do this is unknown because the scope has to be mounted. The precise specs are critical, along with the height of the rings. Thanks very much for your input.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s not just the turret caps that are plastic, it’s the guts. The entire erector post is plastic. That’s the business end of what adjusts the scopes internals. And the tube is paper thin. That’s how they keep that scope so light sure makes it look nice on paper, and a bright and crisp joy to look through, yes indeed, but everything that makes the scope actually work is junk on a Swarovski. If you must have one, wrap it and bubble wrap, and treat it with kid gloves!

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/09/24.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Man, to hear some tell it, you’d be better off just mounting a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10X40mm on your Supergrade.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That's Funny I've Beat The [bleep] out Of The 10-12 I ve Used Over The Last 20 Years.And Out Of Those I've Sent Two Back..One That Went about 900' Off A Bluff Strapped To a 4 Wheeler in Wy.The Other a 4-12 And That Was To Have The Parlex Checked..Guess I'm Different. I find What Works For Me And Use It..And Really Could Care Less What Other Use. Maybe If I Got To Hunt a Little More I Fill Diffrant As I Only Get To Hunt about 100 Days a Year..

Last edited by Mull; 01/09/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mull
That's Funny I've Beat The [bleep] out Of The 10-12 I ve Used Over The Last 20 Years.And Out Of Those I've Sent Two Back..One That Went about 900' Off A Bluff Strapped To a 4 Wheeler in Wy.The Other a 4-12 And That Was To Have The Parlex Checked..Guess I'm Different. I find What Works For Me And Use It..And Really Could Care Less What Other Use. Maybe If I Got To Hunt a Little More I Fill Diffrant As I Only Get To Hunt about 100 Days a Year..

Well ther by golly i the gosple trooth. them damgum sweervski are tuf as woodpeeker lips, dun sailed off a wyomin cliff !!!!

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
Man, to hear some tell it, you’d be better off just mounting a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10X40mm on your Supergrade.

Absolutely

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
It’s not just the turret caps that are plastic, it’s the guts. The entire erector post is plastic. That’s the business end of what adjusts the scopes internals. And the tube is paper thin. That’s how they keep that scope so light sure makes it look nice on paper, and a bright and crisp joy to look through, yes indeed, but everything that makes the scope actually work is junk on a Swarovski. If you must have one, wrap it and bubble wrap, and treat it with kid gloves!

* Thanks very much for the details. I was surely unaware of such facts. Where did you acquire the erector post is 'plastic'? I spoke with David from Swarvoski who provided an abundance of information, yet made no mention of a 'plastic' erector. He mentioned something about anodized which I really paid no attention to. And by the way I have the Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10X40mm with the 30mm tube. May wait to see if there's anything new coming out at the shot show, highly unlikely with the current state of affairs. In addition, the Red Sea is being blocked as vessels are being hijacked or fired upon making the prices of optics possibly moving up; unknown if that sector is affected.

Last edited by Synoptic; 01/09/24.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

* Thanks very much for the details. I was surely unaware of such facts. Where did you acquire the erector post is 'plastic'? I spoke with David from Swarvoski who provided an abundance of information, yet made no mention of a 'plastic' erector. He mentioned something about anodized which I really paid no attention to. And by the way I have the Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10X40mm with the 30mm tube. May wait to see if there's anything new coming out at the shot show, highly unlikely with the current state of affairs. In addition, the Red Sea is being blocked as vessels are being hijacked or fired upon making the prices of optics possibly moving up; unknown if that sector is affected.
It was easy. The $2500 Z6 I thought was so fantastic because the glass was bright and it was so light let me down. The elevation turret, cap and all, sheared clean off at the tube, revealing the plastic internal erector parts. They also can’t take any kind of ring torque due to that cheesy paper thin tube. If anyone reading the owners manual actually paid attention, this would be quite obvious. 17 inch pounds is a joke, and should tell you everything you need to know. Yet Swaro knows exactly what they are doing. They put pretty glass so when the high end buyers walk into the big box store and pick it up and peer 75 yards across the room it sure looks impressive! And boy howdy, those internet buyers sure like to see those lightweight specs! Of course they don’t know what all that means, and what the downsides might be. 99% of hunters will never test the scope enough to find out. So Swaro sells what sells, pretty glass and specs paper. What they don’t sell is durable, reliable scopes. Because their consumer doesn’t even know what they don’t know.

This isn’t just me (although I have had Z3, Z5 and Z 6’s fail on me) Spend some time researching Swaro scopes’ reputation for durability. Unfortunately, light and reliable are an elusive combo. I’m not trying to call anyone’s baby ugly here, just stating my experience. Queue the hurt feelings…

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

It was easy. The $2500 Z6 I thought was so fantastic because the glass was bright and it was so light let me down. The elevation turret, cap and all, sheared clean off at the tube, revealing the plastic internal parts. They also can’t take any kind of ring torque due to that cheesy paper thin tube. Swaro knows exactly what they are doing. They put pretty glass so when the high end buyers walk into the big box store and pick it up and peer 75 yards across the room it sure looks impressive! And boy howdy, those internet buyers sure like to see those lightweight specs! Of course they don’t know what all that means, and what the downsides might be. 99% of hunters will never test the scope enough to find out. So Swaro sells what sells, pretty glass and specs paper. What they don’t sell is durable, reliable scopes. Because their consumer doesn’t even know what they don’t know.

This isn’t just me. Spend some time researching Swaro scopes’ reputation for durability. Unfortunately, light and reliable are an elusive combo.

* I believe you whereas I most likely will not turn to Swarovski. It is highly surprising the that the Z6 has 'plastic' internals. Again, I'm not denying you but only appreciate those facts. I believe the correct torque for rings are 17. 7 inch pounds (1.999 Nm) which is really not much. I've never damaged and/or marked a tube in any way, in mounting; including to a .300 Win. Mag. I certainly would not pay $2500.00 for any scope especially in this generation. I have done a lot of Research and did not find the information you present. Again, I believe you and very likely will not consider Swarovski at all.

Last edited by Synoptic; 01/09/24.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Call Swaro and ask. They will tell you the erector parts are plastic to minimize weight. The math just doesn’t add up. Take the z6 3-18x50 and look at the physical dimensions. It’s not a small or compact scope. Yet it only weighs 21 oz. Something’s gotta give. You can’t build a scope that size that light without sacrificing something. That something comes in the form of thin tubes and plastic parts.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (12344mag, 338rcm, 35, 2UP, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 857 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,975
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.