Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
With S&W bringing out an eight shot 22 magnum does that mean there is hope for a speedloader for it and the Taurus 941 series?

I really hate to purchase a DA Revolver I cannot obtain a speedloader for.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Dancing Bear,

I am curious why you'd want a speed loader for a .22 Mag revolver.

Happy New Year,

Mando

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess he wants a speed loader for the same reason I had two extra mags for my Seecamp 32 when I carried it. Sometimes the Seecamp was the handgun of choice for that particular situation.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Why? Lots of reasons.

I have speedloaders for my N-frame, my Taurus Ti 627, my Bodyguard and my Taurus 94. I won't generally buy a DA revolver unless I can get speedloaders for it.

I like quick easy reloads. I also like to practice drills with smaller bore revolvers as they are cheaper to run.

Heck, I wish Bianchi or someone made speed strips in 22, 22WMR, 41, 44 and 45. They make loading a single action much easier.

Why do you ask?

As to the 22 magnum. It is my favorite woods bumming round. It penetrates like no tomorrow and has some real jacketed bullets available for it. It will shoot through an elks skull consistently and a 22LR and a hollowpint 125 38/357 357 won't consistently in my experience.

Perhapsan unstated question is would I use and carry one for defense? Yes, I think they are fine, maybe preferable to a 38 Special for some purposes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dancing Bar:
I imagine you're right and he was asking why you'd use a 22 WMR for self defense. That's why, I'd ask.
I use/keep a 22 WMR rifle near my bed side for self defense purposes. It's a handy little rifle, and I wouldn't miss with it. I think it is sufficiently powerful (in a rifle), but I dunno if it would be, in a handgun, because, for one thing, the velocity would be much reduced.
I'm curious as to what you mean by "real jacketed bullets". I use the Federal 50 grain loads with solid or HP bullets.
Could you elaborate on your quote...
"""It penetrates like no tomorrow and has some real jacketed bullets available for it. It will shoot through an elks skull consistently and a 22LR and a hollow point 125 38/357 357 won't consistently in my experience.
Perhaps an unstated question is would I use and carry one for defense? Yes, I think they are fine, maybe preferable to a 38 Special for some purposes."""
If you have the time, Thanks
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Smitty,

I too am a big fan of the 22 magnum in a rifle. It does what I always wantedd a 22 LR to do. I have two rifles in that chambering; a Marlin bolt and a Savage 24 DL O/U with a 20 gauge lower barrel.

As to using it in a pistol, I said I would use it for self defense. I hope I didn't say it would be my first choice.

I do like the idea of eight 22 magnums better than five 38 specials in a lightweight snubby [I have a Bodyguard]. I'd like it even more if they made speedloaders for it. I am looking to give my oldest daughter something to carry backpacking that she will shoot enough to get good with.

I have used it in a 4 5/8" Single Six while hunting and woods bumming since the seventies. In doing so opportunities have come up to use it with both cylinders. I much prefer the 22 Mag to any of the 22LR loads for shooting animals in traps/for butchering, etc.

I found that 22 LR solids will not consistently penetrate skulls
on deer and elk sized animals.

The Winchester Super X 40 grain bullets have center fire style jackets on them. The solid is the bullet I load my single six with unless I am varmint hunting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, Dancing Bar:

It sounds like you have some experience with 22 Mag. penetration.

Have you ever chronographed the 22 Mag. in your 4 5/8 inch barrel?

I don�t like snub nosed handguns in any cartridge. I got rid of a snubby 38 Spec. and replaced it with one that had a 3� barrel. For a field gun, I wouldn�t use HPs. I load Hard Cast 158 grain, the same as I do with my 357. I�ve never shot through Elk heads, but the 357 out penetrates the 38. I�m pretty sure that this 38 load would penetrate the skull of a Caribou for example. ????

I�ll have to check out that 22 Mag. �Winchester Super X 40 grain� load, and see how it penetrates.

In a short barrel, I�m skeptical if a 22 Mag. could be justified, considering the difference in velocity. (I don�t have a handgun chambered for 22 Mag. (My Ruger Single Six (from the 60s) is 22 LR only, and has a 5.5 inch barrel.)

Getting down to basics, perhaps a 6.5 inch barreled handgun in 22 Mag. would make a passable survival gun.

Habby Nu Yar.
Smitty of the North

No amount of planning will ever replace Dumb Luck.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,687
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.