Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have been using a Pro Chrony chronograph for what seems like forever. Those of you who have experience with them know that there are days that they just don't want to cooperate. So, I've been looking at the newer ones. I have seen a MagnetoSpeed Sporter for a price that appears to be below what they normally sell for. So my question is this..........do they work as good as the newer ones such as the Garmins and the LabRadar models, or the MagnetoSpeed V3? I'm not looking for something that I'm going to use every day.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have used a Sporter for years. Works very well if you are collecting speeds. I recently upgraded to the Garmin unit, but the MS Sporter has been a solid unit for me, I just got tired of attaching it to the barrel.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My MagnetoSpeed Sporter works as advertised, seems accurate, and doesn't have "cooperation" issues. But attaching it to the barrel shift POI, so I'm looking at a Garmin. Then I'd be able to get velocity data and accuracy data at the same time.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie john
My MagnetoSpeed Sporter works as advertised, seems accurate, and doesn't have "cooperation" issues. But attaching it to the barrel shift POI, so I'm looking at a Garmin. Then I'd be able to get velocity data and accuracy data at the same time.

Okie John

Spend 500 for a 50 dollar fix. 😳

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[Linked Image]

For those who asked about mounting the Magnetospeed on a Caldwell Rock rest, here's the photo. The plate on top of the rest normally holds the sandbag. I drilled one hole in it to hold the MS bayonet.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Okie John

Precisely the reason I just got a Garmin. Ammo ain't getting any cheaper.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my MagnetoSpeed Sporter but it does have the drawback noted by OkieJohn and WiFowler unless you build a complimentary unit like the one mentioned by Swifty.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I have a MagnetoSpeed V3 and like it quite a bit. I too only use it to sample velocity. It is very accurate as compared to my friend's V3, and I don't mind installing it and taking it off the barrel. If it ever s hits the bed, I'll spring for the Garmin, but I'm in no hurry.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Okie John
It's a little more than just a POI shift...
Twas at a mid-range prone match pulling targets in the pits. A new shooter showed up shooting F-TR. He was shooting on a target a couple of targets off to my side though I could still keep an eye on his score. He did a pretty good job keeping them in the ten ring his first match, not so good on the second match. It looked like he switched guns for match #2, a 12ga with buckshot would have scored higher. I asked the RO what was up when I got back to the firing line, he explained that the guy mounted a magneto speed to his barrel to get the numbers on a 20-shot string. Mounting the pickup to a rest wasn't an option...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funny thing is that when the magneto speed first came out ~2015-2016 the situation of POI change from it being on the barrel was fully hashed out on here, but it didnt matter as it was the new easy cats meow. Now its a problem that nobody cared about till after the labradar popped on the scene.
The magneto isnt worth squat monetary wise and neither is the Labradar. Latest and greatest goes to the trash pile real quick in electronics.

Swifty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I have been using a Pro Chrony chronograph for what seems like forever. Those of you who have experience with them know that there are days that they just don't want to cooperate. So, I've been looking at the newer ones. I have seen a MagnetoSpeed Sporter for a price that appears to be below what they normally sell for. So my question is this..........do they work as good as the newer ones such as the Garmins and the LabRadar models, or the MagnetoSpeed V3? I'm not looking for something that I'm going to use every day.

Priced below normal probably means it's an older version that they're trying to dump from inventory. I have an early V3 and it doesn't have what the current production V3 has. They're constantly looking to upgrade their product like anyone else does.

Keep in mind, the Sporter is for centerfire rifle only, 1" barrel or smaller. If you want to chrono airguns, shotguns, muzzleloaders, longer barrel pistols, etc, you'll need the V3. If you want to use one on a larger than 1" barrel or a suppressor, you'll need the V3.

As far as how they work? ANYthing that isn't an optical chrono is leaps and bounds ahead of the game. Don't care what anyone says, opticals are too tricky, too sensitive to light conditions, too prone to lie, and not worth my time or ammo to use. The magnetospeed when set up correctly will read all shots without fail to, I believe, their 99.9% accuracy statement. Hell, it'll read shots in pitch black darkness, so light conditions are meaningless. I'll trust half a dozen shots over my V3 before I'd trust 100 shots over an optical. That alone makes the "hassle" of barrel attachment a non issue. I check my velocities, take it off, check my zero. Pretty painless.

As far a doubling up on velocities and groups to "save time/ammo", folks have come up with all manner of attaching one to a rifle without influencing the barrel. The best ideas come from the more inventive souls and they use a spigot on a rail or swivel stud under the forearm or hand guard. The chrono is still attached to the rifle where it should be, remains consistently set where it needs to be to read correctly, but doesn't touch the barrel in any way.

I'll add this too. I've used my V3 on full length mag tube leverguns. Sometimes it doesn't work out to mount it under the barrel/tube because you can't draw the strap tight enough without bending the mag tube and cocking the bayonet into the bullet path. But, it will still read just fine mounted upside down on top of the barrel, or on the side if need be. Clocking it as it's always pictured at 6:00 bottom dead center isn't necessary, mount it any way it will work for you.

The ONLY issue I know of with a MagnetoSpeed is it can loosen up when excessive barrel heat affects the nylon strap holding it in place. That's simple, get it tight enough to begin with and don't shoot your barrel hot enough to cause that condition. I've never had a need to run that many shots that fast for the sake of velocity data.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a MagnetoSpeed Sporter off the classifieds and am pretty impressed with it. (I also have a ProChono and know how finicky they can be). The MS does change the point of impact, so I load 5 rounds, shoot 2 across the MS, slip it off and shoot 3 for group. When I get close on a load then I'll shoot more across the MS and more groups without it to confirm. Not as handy as a Garmin for sure but a MS can be purchased for ~$100 on the classifieds and works pretty good (better than a ProChrono for me) for a hobby shooter.

Last edited by centershot; 01/03/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One shot out of my 40/65 BP rifle when using a friend's was enough to tell me the Magnetospeed was not what I was looking for - bayonet was completely covered in fouling!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I"ve owned and used the MS sporter for several years. It works great in most any condition. It does exhibit POI changes when attached but that's just the way it is. I got the Garmin unit for Christmas and love it for the reasons mentioned above. I'd spend the extra $$$ and get the Garmin and be done with it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question on the Garmin - at what distance does it give you the velocity?

A couple thing the MagnetoSpeed will not do is lead bullets (22lr) and arrows (according to manual). It must sense the copper? I keep the ProChrony for those.

Last edited by centershot; 01/03/24.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I killed my MS Sporter a year ago (got it wet), so was planning to go back to my Pro Chrono until I could swing a new V3. A buddy of mine had recently upgraded from a Sporter to a V3 when he heard about the Garmin. He really wanted the Garmin but was holding off due to the recent V3 purchase. I ended up buying his V3 so he could justify buying the Garmin.

I much prefer the Sporter and V3 to the Pro Chrono, but am now wishing I'd have held off for the Garmin for the reasons mentioned above.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
Question on the Garmin - at what distance does it give you the velocity?

A couple thing the MagnetoSpeed will not do is lead bullets (22lr) and arrows (according to manual). It must sense the copper? I keep the ProChrony for those.

V3 vs Sporter

V3 will do lead

Wonder if anyone has actually tried arrows over a V3.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I never considered trying arrows with the MS. I just assumed the position/alignment of the arrow over the bayonet would be too difficult or impossible to maintain. I use my Pro Chrono for arrows.

Guess I could try it next time out and report back...

Last edited by JGray; 01/03/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray
I never considered trying arrows with the MS. I just assumed the position/alignment of the arrow over the bayonet would be too difficult or impossible to maintain. I use my Pro Chrono for arrows.

Guess I could try it next time out and report back...

I would have to agree.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found mine to be good. I had a chronograph that used screens and since the wind blows almost every day in South Dakota, I pretty much gave it away.
I tried mine the other day on a heavier kicking rifle. The second shot showed an error code. I found that I had to set it back up as designed after each shot. I couldn’t strap it down to withstand recoil and it moving at each shot.

I have a few lever rifles and I have not tried the chronograph with full length magazines. Also, I almost exclusively shoot cast bullets in my lever rifles, would that be an issue, it sounds like from other’s experience it might.

I think I’ll someday buy a Labradar unit. I’ll never go back to screens. I’ll keep my current chronograph though.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/03/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
I couldn’t strap it down to withstand recoil and it moving at each shot.

A few wraps of electrical tape for the mount to butt up against will keep it from sliding on heavy kickers if you can't get it cinched down tight enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.