Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by dassa
Everyone knows Mormons stockpile a bunch of food. Hate to be a Mormon when the hordes get hungry.
Yes, having food when everyone's hungry will be horrible.

Yeah, because they will come ask nicely for it.

#1 rule of prepping.... don't tell anyone what you have

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Silver and gold will always have value, God has put that in the heart of man.
It's not supernatural. They were first desired for their beauty and intrinsic usefulness. Then they became money because they had characteristics that made them ideal for that: i.e., firstly, because they had intrinsic value. But beyond that, they were 100% fungible (one piece of pure gold or silver was as good as another, unlike, for example, diamonds, rubies, etc.), they were stores of value (because highly durable in storage over time, unlike meat, grain, steel, etc.), and they made for a perfect medium of exchange, due to divisibility. Further, they made for perfect units of account, so merchants were finally able to determine whether or not they were making a profit or a loss in their dealings over time, which allowed for vastly amped up economic activity, the foundation of advanced civilization.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Everyone knows Mormons stockpile a bunch of food. Hate to be a Mormon when the hordes get hungry.

Don't Mormons also have guns and closely knit communities?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

being around Mormons when the horde gets hungry?...probably one of the best places to be....they are not going to roll over and play dead....bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would much rather be in a small town in Utah as opposed to Detroit when SHTF

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That won’t mean [bleep]. Everyone has guns.

If you have anything of value it will be taken. If you want to keep it, you will eventually be killed for it.

The idea of riding it out with a full pantry, wood burning stove, and a generator is pure fantasy unless you are very remote.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by irfubar

Detroit will be depopulated rather quickly. The strong will quickly move to more rural areas looking for food/supplies to take by force. And they are 10x more ruthless and willing to kill/do what it takes to survive.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Detroit will be depopulated rather quickly. The strong will quickly move to more rural areas looking for food/supplies to take by force. And they are 10x more ruthless and willing to kill/do what it takes to survive.
Homies won't leave the hood.... hell most don't have cars and if they do a half tank of gas won't get you far.... lol
But seriously Calvin, inner city gangbangers are scared to death of rural areas and people.
Biker gangs may be a little different though.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
There are all levels of disaster, but a disaster at the level you are obviously thinking of is highly unlikely short of an EOTWAWKI scenario.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Rule #2- don't have anything, so you can be in the same shıt situation as everyone else.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Forget that gold and silver nonsense, boys and girls.

Diamonds!! Diamonds are your best friend! One carat, clear and bright, or larger, with a few one half carat diamonds to trade for a loaf of bread or can of chili, with beans, of course.

Light weight, easy to carry, easy to hide, and pretty girls also like them. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

About 10 years ago I had a writer pull me aside a a funeral and spend a bunch of time asking me questions about Mormons. It was during the Obama regime, and given that Obama was busy changing the America dream from building your own business to building your own bunker, this writer was working on a dystopian novel.

He wanted to set it starting in California after some colamity hit the world and civilization was falling apart. He was looking for a way to tie Mormons into the storyline because I think he'd been reading the books The Expanse series is based upon.

Someone told him I'd be at the funeral so found me and asked a bunch of questions. During the conversation I told him that if civilization collapsed there would be a lot of hungry urban people hitting the road looking for food. We kind of loosely put together a storyline about California's hitting the road headed to Utah because they heard Mormons had food.

I gave him a few other ideas but it became apparent that he was a lefty. He asked if they would give strangers food freely or if there would be conflict. I told him it depends on how bad it was and how they asked. I said there might be a feeling that the California's brought on the collapse of the country through their leftist politics which may make people less sympathetic. He was a bit flabbergasted by that suggestion. I never did hear from him again or if he wrote the book.

Bb

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Greyghost
While a lot of countries used gold and silver for coinage, it was only because it was easy to work with and didn't corrode.
The proof that this is false is the fact that it was common practice, when smaller denominations were scarce (such as was the case in the American colonies), for people to trade in silver coins that had been cut into even sized "pieces of eight," e.g., the Spanish 8 Reale silver coin was commonly cut into eight pieces for smaller purchases, or to give change. Try that with a US one-hundred dollar bill and see if anyone will accept the one-fifth piece as twenty dollars. They won't because, with the silver coin, the value was in the substance of the coin itself, i.e., the silver. Same with gold coins. They weren't mere tokens for money. They were money, because they were made of money.

Your knowledge of the history of money is woefully wanting, but sadly not atypical in our modern age.

Pieces of Eight:

[Linked Image from miro.medium.com]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Rule #2- don't have anything, so you can be in the same shıt situation as everyone else.

The whole idea will be to survive the first 6-12 months. The masses have already figured out the flash mob approach. They use it and use it well. They will be armed and ruthless. Not to mention your white neighbor will probably kill you if it came down to it.

The first move the hungry masses will make is to go take from those who have stuff. And they know who will have stuff and will be very good at taking it.

If you think you will be able to stay in your primary residence you are only fooling yourself. If you do, you will be eventually killed for what you have or burned out of it.

The best move would be to have the skills, physical ability, and the gumption necessary to go into the wilderness for a year away from people. Empty your house out and leave the front door unlocked. When the dust Settles and most have starved or killed each other, possibility your house will still be intact.

If you don’t have a few dozen snares weathered and ready to go at this point, you probably haven’t given this any realistic thought.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

The whole idea will be to survive the first 6-12 months. The masses have already figured out the flash mob approach. They use it and use it well. They will be armed and ruthless. Not to mention your white neighbor will probably kill you if it came down to it.

The first move the hungry masses will make is to go take from those who have stuff. And they know who will have stuff and will be very good at taking it.

If you think you will be able to stay in your primary residence you are only fooling yourself. If you do, you will be eventually killed for what you have or burned out of it.

The best move would be to have the skills, physical ability, and the gumption necessary to go into the wilderness for a year away from people. Empty your house out and leave the front door unlocked. When the dust Settles and most have starved or killed each other, possibility your house will still be intact.

If you don’t have a few dozen snares weathered and ready to go at this point, you probably haven’t given this any realistic thought.
"I've got a dozen snares, and gumption! By god, I think I'll just head out to the wilderness for a year."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"I've got a dozen snares, and gumption! By god, I think I'll just head out to the wilderness for a year."
Good way to die a slow miserable death, right brother dassa?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

That won’t mean [bleep]. Everyone has guns.

If you have anything of value it will be taken. If you want to keep it, you will eventually be killed for it.

The idea of riding it out with a full pantry, wood burning stove, and a generator is pure fantasy unless you are very remote.

I sure as hell wouldn't want you as an ally or watching my six.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Many of them also have guns.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Silver and gold will always have value, God has put that in the heart of man.
It's not supernatural. They were first desired for their beauty and intrinsic usefulness. Then they became money because they had characteristics that made them ideal for that: i.e., firstly, because they had intrinsic value. But beyond that, they were 100% fungible (one piece of pure gold or silver was as good as another, unlike, for example, diamonds, rubies, etc.), they were stores of value (because highly durable in storage over time, unlike meat, grain, steel, etc.), and they made for a perfect medium of exchange, due to divisibility. Further, they made for perfect units of account, so merchants were finally able to determine whether or not they were making a profit or a loss in their dealings over time, which allowed for vastly amped up economic activity, the foundation of advanced civilization.
How much gold would you take for your last five pounds of beans?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

About 10 years ago I had a writer pull me aside a a funeral and spend a bunch of time asking me questions about Mormons. It was during the Obama regime, and given that Obama was busy changing the America dream from building your own business to building your own bunker, this writer was working on a dystopian novel.

He wanted to set it starting in California after some colamity hit the world and civilization was falling apart. He was looking for a way to tie Mormons into the storyline because I think he'd been reading the books The Expanse series is based upon.

Someone told him I'd be at the funeral so found me and asked a bunch of questions. During the conversation I told him that if civilization collapsed there would be a lot of hungry urban people hitting the road looking for food. We kind of loosely put together a storyline about California's hitting the road headed to Utah because they heard Mormons had food.

I gave him a few other ideas but it became apparent that he was a lefty. He asked if they would give strangers food freely or if there would be conflict. I told him it depends on how bad it was and how they asked. I said there might be a feeling that the California's brought on the collapse of the country through their leftist politics which may make people less sympathetic. He was a bit flabbergasted by that suggestion. I never did hear from him again or if he wrote the book.

Bb
Sounds like he wanted to one-up "The Road."

Good luck with that...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,775
Posts18,515,691
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.