Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Did Youtube take down the vid where he offered people a chocolate bar or a golden shower?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
so if the SHTF, its better off to have a ton gold/silver in your safe, instead of a ton of water and non-perishable food. i can't eat gold and sliver, even tho its shiny, i'll pass. i'll give you one MRE and a bottle of water for a ton of gold.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Where can an individual take a piece of
precious metal and buy groceries and
not cheat or get cheated, or get bashed
in the head since there won't be any law
enforcement of any kind if it comes to
having to trade in gems and metals ?

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
For those belittling this topic "because you can't eat it," history is replete with situations where monetary systems, law and order, and/or governments, broke down to some degree (or completely), and families made it through only because they had a little silver and/or gold, the only forms of money anyone who had anything would any longer accept.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tdoyka
so if the SHTF, its better off to have a ton gold/silver in your safe, instead of a ton of water and non-perishable food. i can't eat gold and sliver, even tho its shiny, i'll pass. i'll give you one MRE and a bottle of water for a ton of gold.
Its possible to have both.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In 1950 the price of 1 gallon of gas was roughly 25 cents. You could take your pre-65 quarter, and go buy a gallon of gas. Today at my local gas station here in Washington the price of gas is 4.19 last night.

At one of the local coin shops, Bellevue Rare Coins, they’re live pricing on 90% silver coins, pre 1965, is 17.50 for one face dollar. So, you could take that same quarter, sell it, they’d give you roughly 4.37 dollars for it. Then you could go buy a gallon of gas. It would take you 17.5 of todays 25 cent tokens to buy that same gallon.

Precious metals won’t make you rich. It does hold your wealth against inflation. If the dollar ever collapses, and you have a good store of Gold and Silver, you will do ok I’d bet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Watch the price of “Junk Silver” as it’s called, or pre-1965 silver coins for a couple of months, and how it relates to the price of a gallon of gas. Keep in mind that in 1950 that same quarter would buy you 1 gallon of gas.

You might be surprised at how it holds its value.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some cases in which you sell gold, you are subjecting yourself to double taxation.

Say you took some money that you'd already paid income tax on... maybe even years ago, and the money was sitting in savings or elsewhere, and you bought gold.

Now you decide to liquidate some gold in the market today because it's pretty high right now... They WILL 1099 you in some cases, and you will end up paying income taxes on that.

Again.

If anyone wins, it's the govt. frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The question I asked was sincere because there's
no place around here that would sell goods in
exchange for gems or metals
Yes, there's the " WE BUY GOLD AND JEWELRY "
places, just like the title loan places, but you're
getting bent over dealing with either one

Not trying to stir up s**t , just asking about the
plan for utilizing the valuables to buy food and
medical supplies, etc. etc.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Watch the price of “Junk Silver” as it’s called, or pre-1965 silver coins for a couple of months, and how it relates to the price of a gallon of gas. Keep in mind that in 1950 that same quarter would buy you 1 gallon of gas.

I 've heard that before and I think it was you that said it several years ago and it really is true.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ihookem

I 've heard that before and I think it was you that said it several years ago and it really is true.

It’s because both Precious Metals and Gas are commodities. They have real, tangible value. Everyone talks about how prices are going up. It’s actually the opposite of that. The real value, or purchasing power of the dollar is becoming less and less. You see this in the example of Gas and Silver. They still have close to the same value. But the dollars value or ability to use it for trade has dropped. Dramatically.

One of these days the rest of the world is going to come to the conclusion that the US economy is built on a house of cards. I’m not looking forward to the day that happens.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Some cases in which you sell gold, you are subjecting yourself to double taxation.

Say you took some money that you'd already paid income tax on... maybe even years ago, and the money was sitting in savings or elsewhere, and you bought gold.

Now you decide to liquidate some gold in the market today because it's pretty high right now... They WILL 1099 you in some cases, and you will end up paying income taxes on that.

Again.

Yeah, I believe if you get paid $10,000.00 or more by the dealer on a given day, they have to take your name and other information so they can 1099 you.

During an economic collapse, however, it's highly unlikely that anyone will be thinking of using a coin dealer as a middle man. Folks will want gold and silver in payment, saving them the trouble of converting increasingly worthless Federal Reserve Notes into those metals the next day, as the prices of those metals, in terms of Federal Reserve Notes, will likely have risen by the next day in such situations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Again.

Yeah, I believe if you get paid $10,000.00 or more by the dealer on a given day, they have to take your name and other information so they can 1099 you.

I think it’s much wiser to not let anyone, including the Government know that you have any Precious Metals. Never think of Gold and Silver as an investment. Think of them as the best insurance your money can buy.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ranger99

It's not hard, for example, to find an auto shop owner who will accept gold or silver (valued at the current price for the form in question) in exchange for parts/services. Don't ask how I know.

And we are hardly today at the total collapse phase.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've come to the conclusion that planning around "if things go bad and society collapses" is foolish. Sure, be prepared for bad things, but the more likely conclusion is that it won't happen in your lifetime. There are better ways to make money in the here and now than gold trading. I don't know anybody that has struck it rich on trading gold, but I do know several millionaires that got rich in the stock market day trading.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
They constitute a mere insurance policy against economic and currency collapse, and they are insurance that's free, since over time they retain their value better than currency, even without a collapse occurring.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

It's not hard, for example, to find an auto shop owner who will accept gold or silver (valued at the current price for the form in question) in exchange for parts/services. Don't ask how I know.

And we are hardly today at the total collapse phase.

The situation today is far different than it will be if there is a complete collapse.

First off, gold and silver is certainly something worth having. As would a bunch of steel I-beams, aluminum tubing, treated lumber, etc.... The problem with comparing past collapses with a future collapse is that the population is no longer rural. It is now urban. The majority of people in the past knew how to grow and gather food, how to hunt, how to milk a cow, how to care for and butcher farm animals, how to preserve food, etc.... The majority of people don't have those skills today.

A couple of hundred years ago, people were likely more inclined to sell an animal, produce, or even their time, for precious metals. Most people were playing at the same level. Not in the future. Way too many people who have nothing will be looking to take from those few who are able to produce food. If you're going to survive a collapse long enough that people will start considering selling some of their stuff for gold, you better have a plan in place for a small, well armed community with the ability to produce food, shelter and clean water. Medical knowledge and supplies would certainly be a big plus, too.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that if there is a collapse now, most people won't survive a year.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In 1950 the price of 1 gallon of gas was roughly 25 cents. You could take your pre-65 quarter, and go buy a gallon of gas. Today at my local gas station here in Washington the price of gas is 4.19 last night.

At one of the local coin shops, Bellevue Rare Coins, they’re live pricing on 90% silver coins, pre 1965, is 17.50 for one face dollar. So, you could take that same quarter, sell it, they’d give you roughly 4.37 dollars for it. Then you could go buy a gallon of gas. It would take you 17.5 of todays 25 cent tokens to buy that same gallon.

Precious metals won’t make you rich. It does hold your wealth against inflation. If the dollar ever collapses, and you have a good store of Gold and Silver, you will do ok I’d bet.
Right, it retains wealth, unlike cash.
Take that $100 bill you stuck in your sock drawer in 1976 and compare it to an ounce of gold you bought for $100. What’s the buying power of each today?

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They constitute a mere insurance policy against economic and currency collapse, and they are insurance that's free, since over time they retain their value better than currency, even without a collapse occurring.
Exactly, I don't have precious metals (mostly junk silver) to get rich, it's a hedge against inflation and insurance against monetary collapse. Works the same as those that stocked up on ammo years ago, I can go shooting for $25 and might cost others $50 for same.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I trade/barter with friends, wife has grain mill and can bake just about anything, I can weld, wrench, reload, light gunsmith, etc. One of my buddy's trades me primer's & homemade vanilla for loaves of bread, sometimes $ is involved. Lot's of people out there willing to barter just have to find like minded.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 1minute, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,957
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.