Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by acy
If you're going to survive a collapse long enough that people will start considering selling some of their stuff for gold...
First off, no one said anything about not bothering to prepare in other ways also. Secondly, those who produce more than they can consume before it goes bad had better quickly figure a way to accept payment, or lose their shirts in spoilage.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Some cases in which you sell gold, you are subjecting yourself to double taxation.

Say you took some money that you'd already paid income tax on... maybe even years ago, and the money was sitting in savings or elsewhere, and you bought gold.

Now you decide to liquidate some gold in the market today because it's pretty high right now... They WILL 1099 you in some cases, and you will end up paying income taxes on that.

Again.

If anyone wins, it's the govt. frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I guess that Menendez owes some taxes on them gold bars he took from a foreign government.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Price of Gold most times depends on what the political situation is in the ME!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by acy
If you're going to survive a collapse long enough that people will start considering selling some of their stuff for gold...
First off, no one said anything about not bothering to prepare in other ways also. Secondly, those who produce more than they can consume before it goes bad had better quickly figure a way to accept payment, or lose their shirts in spoilage.

First off, I didn't say that no one was considering preparing in other ways. Second, getting rid of access food today is going to cause problems tomorrow. Have you ever heard of canning, salting or pickling? If you haven't, you better figure it out. A group of people that "figure(s) out a way to accept payment" and gets rid of their excess vegetables at harvest time because they "produce more than they can consume" that week is going to starve. At least for a few years until things settle down a bit. I suspect that you don't have sufficient plans in place to survive the first year or so. Those who do can add your gold to what they already have.

Wasn't trying to piss on your little parade, just pointing out that gold won't likely get you down the road very far. You pointing out that there are car repair, and certainly other, places that will accept gold as payment today is meaningless when referring to a future collapse.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
History doesn't support your position, but more power to you.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gold & Silver won’t come into play until things sort themselves out. In the sorting things out stage, lots of folks are going to starve, get shot trying to steal others food, shoot those who have it, die of sickness, and other issues. Sure wouldn’t want to be in a big city when the stores run out food.

Eventually things would settle down. What that looks like is anyone’s guess. The in between times will be a real hoot and holler for a lot of folks.

I pray to God it never happens. However I think a man is foolish if he doesn’t prepare for bad times. That might be a week without power, or it could mean something much more serious. The way the climate is in our country today, I wouldn’t rule anything out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting how the value of things change. Here in the Communist state of Washington, 30rd AR mags have become quite valuable. It’s when you can’t get what you need that you quickly see the true value of something that seemed to be everywhere once upon a time. And then “Once upon a time” changes.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
They (who ever that is) seem to really be pushing gold right now. My question, if it's such a good deal, why are they trying to sell it so bad???

A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
MOLON LABE
LET'S GO BRANDON!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well China, Russia, India and many other countries seem to want it real bad. Buying it at record amounts. The BRICS countries are stockpiling it. Of course Slow Joe and his handlers are to busy trying to control us to worry about any of that nonsense.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JBabcock
Gold & Silver won’t come into play until things sort themselves out. In the sorting things out stage, lots of folks are going to starve, get shot trying to steal others food, shoot those who have it, die of sickness, and other issues. Sure wouldn’t want to be in a big city when the stores run out food.

Eventually things would settle down. What that looks like is anyone’s guess. The in between times will be a real hoot and holler for a lot of folks.

I pray to God it never happens. However I think a man is foolish if he doesn’t prepare for bad times. That might be a week without power, or it could mean something much more serious. The way the climate is in our country today, I wouldn’t rule anything out.
I think you're largely right but I think it will have value right at the beginning also because many of those with abundance will be shortsighted and likely to sell the things that they will later need. Right in the middle of a collapse the only thing that will have value is shovels, seeds, water, medicine, food, skills & guns and ammo. IMHO

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First off, gold and silver is certainly something worth having. As would a bunch of steel I-beams, aluminum tubing, treated lumber, etc.... The problem with comparing past collapses with a future collapse is that the population is no longer rural. It is now urban. The majority of people in the past knew how to grow and gather food, how to hunt, how to milk a cow, how to care for and butcher farm animals, how to preserve food, etc.... The majority of people don't have those skills today.
A lot of guys are planning to live off the land when the SHTF. They're in for a shock. Within 6 months to a year, our wildlife will be decimated. We have enough guns in rural hands to wipe out everything alive out there trying to feed themselves. There just aren't enough animals out there and with no protection, they'll be gone in short order.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
First off, gold and silver is certainly something worth having. As would a bunch of steel I-beams, aluminum tubing, treated lumber, etc.... The problem with comparing past collapses with a future collapse is that the population is no longer rural. It is now urban. The majority of people in the past knew how to grow and gather food, how to hunt, how to milk a cow, how to care for and butcher farm animals, how to preserve food, etc.... The majority of people don't have those skills today.
A lot of guys are planning to live off the land when the SHTF. They're in for a shock. Within 6 months to a year, our wildlife will be decimated. We have enough guns in rural hands to wipe out everything alive out there trying to feed themselves. There just aren't enough animals out there and with no protection, they'll be gone in short order.

I think it would take far less than six months but valid point, IMHO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They constitute a mere insurance policy against economic and currency collapse, and they are insurance that's free, since over time they retain their value better than currency, even without a collapse occurring.

Perhaps, but I don't see evidence that makes me believe I would be better off buying gold in case it could be used to buy things in the rare possibility of a collapse. If I were going down that road, I would buy the things I anticipate I'll need later now rather than accumulating gold.

Nope, buying gold isn't free insurance...it has an opportunity cost.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Knarley_Bob
They (who ever that is) seem to really be pushing gold right now. My question, if it's such a good deal, why are they trying to sell it so bad???

Hype benefits those that hold it. Hype like an infomercial.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by tdoyka
so if the SHTF, its better off to have a ton gold/silver in your safe, instead of a ton of water and non-perishable food. i can't eat gold and sliver, even tho its shiny, i'll pass. i'll give you one MRE and a bottle of water for a ton of gold.

Good isn’t any good until you spend it. Food is good every day.

Food will get you through times of no gold, but gold won’t get you through times of no food.

Invest wisely…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by drop_point
They constitute a mere insurance policy against economic and currency collapse, and they are insurance that's free, since over time they retain their value better than currency, even without a collapse occurring.

Perhaps, but I don't see evidence that makes me believe I would be better off buying gold in case it could be used to buy things in the rare possibility of a collapse. If I were going down that road, I would buy the things I anticipate I'll need later now rather than accumulating gold.

Most real preppers understand you buy the necessities first, food shelter, guns ammo etc.... then when those needs are met you buy precious metals.
As others have pointed out it's a way of preserving some wealth as you come out the other side of the collapse. P.M.'s aren't for survival

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by drop_point

Most real preppers understand you buy the necessities first, food shelter, guns ammo etc.... then when those needs are met you buy precious metals.
As others have pointed out it's a way of preserving some wealth as you come out the other side of the collapse. P.M.'s aren't for survival

First, I'd ask for the definition of a "prepper", but furthermore, commerce in a theoretical post-collapse society is what is being touted as one of the benefits of collecting precious metals.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

You're right. Living off the land won't work for long for those who try it. In our case, we have a considerable amount of land in the northwest corner of our rural county, centered on a cousin's several thousand acre dairy farm. All forest and swamps for about 8 miles, or so, to the west and 10 miles to the north. We have about 175 to 200 people in the extended family and friends who would form our community. We have bulk salt (could probably use more), bulk fuel (enough to last a couple of years with the reduced use for tractors and chainsaws), plenty of fresh water with pitcher pumps. We have hundreds of years of combined experience in hunting, gardening, canning, butchering, making maple syrup, etc.... We have cattle, chickens, ducks, and a few pigs. Couple of horses. We also have, and have maintained a couple of great grandparents' horse drawn farming equipment. We know the land; my generation is the 4th to live there.

We have, amongst us, several hundred guns and several hundred thousand rounds of ammo. I believe that we are set up to make a serious go of survival. Question is if got hit by a group that we couldn't stop. Who knows. I hope we don't need to find out.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Always regretted not buying the 1-ounce gold Krugerrand when it first came out at about $36 a piece. Had planned to buy at least two a week, but having just gotten out of the Army, I was having too much fun doing other things.

Phil

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The problem with both gold and silver is once a person buys it they almost never sell it. The desire to own it overwhelms the desire to become a sensible investor. I’m guilty of this myself as far as silver goes. If it ever hits $30 an ounce again my stash will be sold.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,994
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.