Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve noticed that every deer I’ve shot with the 7mm rem mag have fell dead instantly and have not taken a step. Bullet ranges from the 120 gr TTSX , 140 ttxs , and 175 hornady spire point. All were dead and never moved, what’s the magic combination of this round versus others shot with 300 win mags with 150s and 180s , 300 weatherby with 180’s. Had a few run with the win mag, not far maybe 20 yards but never any with the ole 7 rm. maybe it was just luck who knows.

Fück Joe byron
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm betting it was luck. Lol......

Still, confidence in your rifle never hurts.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
7 M M hit em again!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm betting shot placement is the key...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That sure wasn't my experience with the 175 grain Remington Core-Lokt early on with my 7mm RM M700. For some reason the first fired case wouldn't eject and I couldn't put in a finisher to an already pretty well lung shot fork horn whitetail. Darn near was enough to make this guy quit hunting. A 160 Nosler Partition worked better, but no better than or even as good as deer that fell to my .30-30, .30-06, .308, .300 Savage, .300 WM or the 7mm-08.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
For several years I used a 7mm RM more than anything else. I can only recall 4 that dropped right on the spot and only one of those was not a CNS hit. Most ran anywhere from 25 to 100 yards. Just like any caliber, all that really matters is shot placement.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by southtexas

^^^THIS^^^

I don't know about 7mm mag magic, But I have had them go a pretty good ways shot with a 7mm mag behind the shoulder. I have dropped them dead in their tracks with a 7mm mag hit in the shoulder, high shoulder, and neck shots (CNS). But I have had the same results with many other rounds. 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 270, 280, 280AI, 308,30-06. 300WM. It has been my experience that Deer are not that hard to kill. Dead is dead, so shoot them where you want.

But if you want to see them drop in their tracks, a well placed CNS shot will do it every time. No need for a 7mm mag. Jmo.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 5 or 6, alway load 140 partitions or ballistic tips. It’s my favorite round, always did the trick for me. I’m giving a lot of thought to cutting back my rifles, getting old.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 01/05/24.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I believe that good shot placement is the key, I’ve dropped them dead with the ol 06 with 150 partitions also, shot several with the 243 and they always ran up to 100yards.

Fück Joe byron
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I never had any tracking to do when I used a 7 Mag. Everyone said they did the 7 Mag Flop! Lot of wasted meat though.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Too much for deer, too light for elk. IMO. I killed 5 or 6 deer with the 7 mag . Always had a bloody mess when butchering them.

It doesn't matter who gets more votes, It matters who counts the votes.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm with this. Killed a few deer with a 7mm Rem Mag years ago. Found my best bullet was a 160gr Speer HC. Tried 140ge Sierras, 145gr Speer's 154 gr Hornadys and they all made a pretty good mess of the insides, to much velocity. Best of that bunch was the 154gr Hornady, to much velocity for the rest I think. Come to think of it I did kill one with a 150gr Herter RN Went in the back of the head and out the nose. Completely cleaned out the head cavity! I have always hunted for food and have always found high mid range weight bullet's to spare me a lot of lost meat. Unless you hit a vital I've also found the heavier bullet's don't kill as quickly either. But do kill very well if well placed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7 Rem Mag... it's Loco Magic! lol... brother always said same about his model 700 back in the 70's... just about everything he shot with it. Bang, Flop, death kick!... Rifle & cartridge chosen & handload developed by our devoted BG hunter uncle back in 1970... book max of IMR 4350? or 4831 under a Sierra? 160 gn...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a few deer with the big 7 - its a bit much for deer in my opinion.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I’d do $250

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1 Remington ?
2 Remington ?
3 Remington ?
4 sako ? Need more pics hanco this one looks fancy! grin
5 sako ?
6 sako ?

Never felt under gunned with any kind of 7mm and a 175 &162 gr.bullet.

Last edited by keekeerun; 01/06/24.

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice rifles Hanco. Thanks for the display!

It's a fine cartridge. Not magic, but a fine cartridge. I've used one off and on for years. Have two right now.

A Winchester Model 70 Super Grade, and a Ruger Number One medium sporter. Both produce good velocity and accuracy. I've only hunted with the Ruger so far.

Guy

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Nahhhhhh...its the chambering that does the magic! Has to be!

Maybe my experience is different but EVERYBODY I've ever been around that used a 7Mag relied so heavily on this mythical magic of the 7Mag that they never bothered to learn how to shoot it.Have yet to see someone I could consider proficient with it....but I hold out hope that they are out there.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

Maybe my experience is different but EVERYBODY I've ever been around that used a 7Mag relied so heavily on this mythical magic of the 7Mag that they never bothered to learn how to shoot it.Have yet to see someone I could consider proficient with it....but I hold out hope that they are out there.
I could not agree more about the proficientency with their rifles, but IME that would include all chamberings.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
17 deer , 2 antelope and a mountain goat with a 7mm rem mag plus a few coyotes and countless pd's. 139 gr Hornady SP's( the flatbase), 140 nos solid base, 140 gr npt, 139 gr btsp, 160 npt and the 120 gr NBT. The 7 has allways worked for me. Probably the 120 nbt at very high velocity was the most impressive 1 shot kills I ever made behind the shoulder, double lung with a nickel to quarter sized exit hole. No extra blood shot meat and dropped on the spot. Advertising hype attracted a lot of people who can't shoot for chit but it's a good cartridge. Honesty to yourself if you can't shoot it well because of its recoil and muzzle blast get a 7x57. The 7 mag shoots fine but not all are 7 mag shooters same with the 300's..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a friend; he refers to the 7-mag as "the ladies magnum".

I have just one, I'm making plans to use it next year.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Originally Posted by ingwe

I could not agree more about the proficientency with their rifles, but IME that would include all chamberings.

Excellent point there....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It works but I'd hate to do this to a leg. That's the entrance side, not the exit!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/06/24.

LOL
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In my experience the 7mmRM is an ideal platform for monolithic. Several here mention too much meat damage. That’s a function of bullet choice, not cartridge.

When I began loading and using the cartridge, I was running various 140 grain cup and cores, including the early NBT’s. It was easy to wreck a shoulder or make lung soup. I tried the then new original Barnes X bullets. Accuracy wasn’t the best, but I could run one straight through any deer at any angle necessary to reach the vitals without a lot of unnecessary collateral damage, whether up close or out at a distance.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
It works but I'd hate to do this to a leg. That's the entrance side, not the exit!

That's how you lower the boom!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Friend of mine growing up bought a S&W 1500 in 7RM. He shot it very well and took a lot of deer with it, always told me the recoil wasnt bad, because it was a heavy rifle to begin with. He did mostly stand hunting anyway

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
120gr Barnes TTSX @ 3450 does a helluva job on Whitetails, boom flops everytime so far.

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my deer load for the 7Mag is that same 120TTSX at 3200fps. Basically just a hot loaded 280, but it hammers deer, and recoil is tame.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Shot several mule deer with quick kills, had one shot on a large pig that didnt drop it. Jacka$$ hunting guide started the 7mm RM doesn't kill anything. Turns out the shot the expert "guide" told me the shot was 300 yards turns out it was 425 and I had just got the bottom of it's belly.

Ted
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Grandfather had a magical Savage 99, 250-3000 that struck down deer with the hammer of Thor when flinging 87 grain soft points. And I’ve been told that real magic happens when you shoot them in the top of the head with a 22 short. Drops them instantly and no one even hears it. I had an uncle sell a 7 mm Rem Mag because it didn’t drop deer like his 270 did. Point being the magic is in how it performs for you. Whatever you do don’t change your setup or you will be sorely disappointed. Apparently you found the sweet spot for it.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bought one years ago to rebarrel to 257 Wby and made the mistake of shooting the donor. Needless to say I ended up hunting that rifle. It became sure death on deer, bear, hogs and coyotes. Currently loading the 160 Accubond with no complaints. If I were to give up my 25’s I would gladly grab that old school BDL and be content to hunt any thing in NA. THE 7 is definitely special.

GreggH

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The sole specimen I shot with a 7RM borrowed from my brother most decidedly didn’t fall over and die. He kicked once, then ambled along another 20 yards or so and stopped. I was just about to give him another when he tipped over. Had a hole out the far side you couldn’t plug with a Titleist 3. Just one of those things….

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I discovered Ruger's, 7Mags, and 160 partitions back in 1980. Hunted it exclusively for aoudad, muleys, and whitetails up until 1998 when I discovered the Tikkas......a M695. It loved those 160 partitions as well, and discovered that the 160 and 140AB's were hell on wheels for those animals, wild pigs, and the couple of elk I managed to kill. It loves the 150 BT as well (thanks Dober) but the mule deer bucks hated it. Lot's to love about the 7mag. I've lost count of the number of sheep, deer, hogs, antelope, etc that died because of it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My first BG rifle was a M70 XTR in 7RM. My first load for it was a hatful of H870 and 140 Partitions. That rifle accounted for a lot of my first hunting. For deer I didn’t think it got any better. Just zapped them. Maybe not magic and nothing others didn’t or couldn’t but it is a great cartridge that is only getting better with better barrel twist, powder and bullets.

Semper Fi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by beretzs
My first BG rifle was a M70 XTR in 7RM. My first load for it was a hatful of H870 and 140 Partitions. That rifle accounted for a lot of my first hunting. For deer I didn’t think it got any better. Just zapped them. Maybe not magic and nothing others didn’t or couldn’t but it is a great cartridge that is only getting better with better barrel twist, powder and bullets.

H870... Every time I find my "favorite powder" for the 7mm Rem Mag - it seems to vanish!

Used H870 with 175gr Nosler Partitions. Good load! Then H870 supplies dried up.

Switched to Reloader 22 and was happy for quite a few years. Particularly good with 160ish grain bullets. Then couldn't find it reliably.

Tried that new-fangled IMR 8133 and was very impressed. Hodgdon quit importing/carrying it.

Sigh... I know there are other powders for it, I gotta stay flexible!

Did not get to hunt with this new-to-me Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag, but I've got ammo loaded for it with 140 gr Barnes TTSX bullets & IMR 8133. Good velocity and accuracy.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cascade

H870... Every time I find my "favorite powder" for the 7mm Rem Mag - it seems to vanish!

Switched to Reloader 22 and was happy for quite a few years. Particularly good with 160ish grain bullets. Then couldn't find it reliably.

Tried that new-fangled IMR 8133 and was very impressed. Hodgdon quit importing/carrying it.

Did not get to hunt with this new-to-me Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag, but I've got ammo loaded for it with 140 gr Barnes TTSX bullets & IMR 8133. Good velocity and accuracy.

Guy
With those lighter weight bullets in the 7mag,the 4350 powders work quite well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yup! smile You got some great accuracy and velocity.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Twopatch
Too much for deer, too light for elk. IMO. I killed 5 or 6 deer with the 7 mag . Always had a bloody mess when butchering them.

This has always kind of been my take but I have never owned one. I think an exception would be long shots at deer but we don't get shots beyond about 100 yards where I hunt. If I was shooting deer beyond 300 yards, the 7mm would probably be perfect.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by baldhunter

Guy
With those lighter weight bullets in the 7mag,the 4350 powders work quite well.

That load using 65gn of H4350 with the 150gn Nosler BT is a terrific combination. I have been using it for some time though I have never tried the AA version. Good to see it working though, says something about that burning rate for compatability with that bullet.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I was reviewing my loads for this cartridge recently and noted the 3 most accurate bullets over a number of rifles and decades was the 160gn Accubond, 150gn Ballistic tip and 175gn Partition which coincidently, covers the majority of ground you need for a 7mm Magnum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
I have a friend; he refers to the 7-mag as "the ladies magnum".

I have just one, I'm making plans to use it next year.

I like that "Ladies Magnum" bit.....lol. It's a good spot to be when you might want a bit more velocity than a .270Win/.280Rem but don't want the recoil of a .30cal magnum. From talking to a lot of hunters over the years that really weren't shooters, objectionable recoil generally starts at 300WinMag in a typical sporter-weight rifle. I re-zeroed a 70yr old neighbor lady's .270WSM for her last weekend and she loves the rifle but is intimidated by her late husband's 300WinMag in the safe.

I carry my reliably-accurate 7mmRM several times each year, but only on hunts where I can see past 300yds. I can get it done with a handier and more compact rifle when the ranges are modest. A 160NAB at 3000fps does great things when put into a shoulder of a hog or deer, near or far. Forgive the overused pic....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Theeck

This has always kind of been my take but I have never owned one…
Funny stuff. Like Scott, a 7RM (a nice Husky H-5000) was my first CF hunting rifle, and I killed all manner of Alberta and NWT big game with it for several years. I eventually came to the conclusion that it’s more bullet diameter, powder, and recoil than is needed for deer and sheep-sized critters. My second hunting rifle was a Sako AII in .243 that I killed a bunch of deer with.

The idea that the 7RM is light for elk is pretty humorous. Our group has been killing elk and moose from 50-650 yards for the past several years with the 6.5CM and 7-08. No complaints at all. Our only real reason to step up to a 7RM is to fling the 180 ELD-M at 2900-2950 fps when the wind blows and shots are expected to be beyond spitting distance.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
my deer load for the 7Mag is that same 120TTSX at 3200fps. Basically just a hot loaded 280, but it hammers deer, and recoil is tame.

Maybe the 280 is just a light loaded 7 mag.

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a cartridge that’s hard to beat up through elk.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hammer2506

Maybe the 280 is just a light loaded 7 mag.

yep

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
7 rem mag 150gr nosler ballistic tips with 63 grains IMR 4350 in remington 700 bdl with classic wood stock. Killed a truckload of deer with that rifle and bullet combo and prolly 90 percent were bang flops.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by thebobcat
7 rem mag 150gr nosler ballistic tips with 63 grains IMR 4350 in remington 700 bdl with classic wood stock. Killed a truckload of deer with that rifle and bullet combo and prolly 90 percent were bang flops.

140gr Ballistic Tips here and like you said probably 90% were bang flop.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I got my first 7mag in 1971, killed truck loads of Montana mule deer with it and quite a few elk. Remington made. I have another model 70XTR and a couple Husqvarnas. I think it’s a fine caliber and it’s never failed me.
While guiding all those years I saw a lot of game fall to 7mags when the shot was made right. I found the 7mag to be an excellent follow up gun when clients asked for backup. No complaints here.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My time with the 7Mag was with a M77 shooting 150 gr factory Corelocks (after my bang flop 6mm was stolen) in the early 80’s. Found out the Corelocks just didn’t expand enough on the deer I shot with it (no bang flops, full penetration and each ran 30-40 yards). Switched to 160 Partitions and solved the running dead deer problems.

My son has it now and still shoots the 160 gr Partitions with good results when he shoots straight 😀

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Guy

Jesus that is one pretty rifle Guy! I hope I am around if you ever decide you don't want it anymore!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JPro
I like that "Ladies Magnum" bit.....lol. It's a good spot to be when you might want a bit more velocity than a .270Win/.280Rem but don't want the recoil of a .30cal magnum. From talking to a lot of hunters over the years that really weren't shooters, objectionable recoil generally starts at 300WinMag in a typical sporter-weight rifle.

I'd believe it starts lower than that, but the 300 mag is at a level that's easy to admit to.

Last edited by mathman; 01/10/24. Reason: typo
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I like that "Ladies Magnum" bit.....lol. It's a good spot to be when you might want a bit more velocity than a .270Win/.280Rem but don't want the recoil of a .30cal magnum. From talking to a lot of hunters over the years that really weren't shooters, objectionable recoil generally starts at 300WinMag in a typical sporter-weight rifle.

I'd believe it starts lower than that, but the 300 mag is is a level that's easy to admit to.
Agreed. I've seen grown men that didn't do much shooting that always had a very difficult time with the .30-06 and 7RM, but got along easily with the 7-08, .25-06, etc.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It has nothing to do with the 7mm cartridge being too much or not enough. What matters most is utilizing the right bullet for the intended game at a predicted distance and knowing impact velocities at various distances.

It is the age old goal of a bullet maker to produce a bullet that you can rely on from 100 yds-700 yds on game. None have been able to do that. Some are better close in, others far away, and some strike a balance in the middle. Up to the hunter to choose a bullet for the best predicted scenario regarding game and distance.

Today there are no shortages for finding bullets for any and all occasions.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've killed a number of mule deer with the 7mm Rem Mag. It worked fine, but some of them ran a ways, maybe 50 or 75 yards, especially one really big buck that I remember. Still, I don't think I ever needed a follow up shot, mostly using 150 grain bullets ranging from Core Lokts to Ballistic Tips.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rossimp
It has nothing to do with the 7mm cartridge being too much or not enough. What matters most is utilizing the right bullet for the intended game at a predicted distance and knowing impact velocities at various distances..

Putting said bullet in the correct location is also important. wink

Last edited by southtexas; 01/12/24.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Rossimp
It has nothing to do with the 7mm cartridge being too much or not enough. What matters most is utilizing the right bullet for the intended game at a predicted distance and knowing impact velocities at various distances..

Putting said bullet in the correct location is also important. wink

For sure, grandkids kill cshit out of pigs and deer with 243’s

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by mathman

I'd believe it starts lower than that, but the 300 mag is is a level that's easy to admit to.
Agreed. I've seen grown men that didn't do much shooting that always had a very difficult time with the .30-06 and 7RM, but got along easily with the 7-08, .25-06, etc.
Never had a problem with the 30-06 or the 7mm Rem mag. But even though I can shoot it well my recoil headaches start with the 300 Win mag

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I tried a 7 mag for a few years as a step down from the 300 RUM that my idiot 21 year old self thought I needed. Winchester ballistic silver tips didn’t seem to give great results, switched to core lokts and seemed to get quicker kills shooting lungs. However, my 7 mag magically got buried next to that 300 RUM in the back of the safe when I figured out 260, 25-06, and 7-08 worked every bit as well with much less recoil. I’m 6’2 240 lbs and will admit that a Rem BDL 7 mag is more recoil than I care to deal with.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by crc1514
I tried a 7 mag for a few years as a step down from the 300 RUM that my idiot 21 year old self thought I needed. Winchester ballistic silver tips didn’t seem to give great results, switched to core lokts and seemed to get quicker kills shooting lungs. However, my 7 mag magically got buried next to that 300 RUM in the back of the safe when I figured out 260, 25-06, and 7-08 worked every bit as well with much less recoil. I’m 6’2 240 lbs and will admit that a Rem BDL 7 mag is more recoil than I care to deal with.

BDL’s seem to recoil more in a 7 mag. My Sako 7 mags don’t kick near as hard. I have a REM 798, not as bad as a BDL either.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I had a new left handed Remington 700 SPS in 7mm Remington mag worked over several years ago. Recrowned the 26" barrel, action lugs squared, Timmney trigger, B&C stock with alum block glass bedded. Leupold Mark 4 6.5x20 with TMR reticle. Kind of my way of doing a low budget "custom" rifle haha.

I shot Nosler 168 grn LRAB when they first came out at 3025 fps using H1000, until a couple years ago. I found that inside 300 yds the bullet was too soft for elk, lost a lot of weight, caused excessive meat damage and often would not exit even on mule deer. First 5 elk or so they worked fine, as the ranges were extended, but the closer the animals were the performance wasn't what I wanted. I absolutely realize that it wasn't the bullets fault, they were performing as designed, it was my fault for using them as I was.

So I switched to Nosler 160 Accubonds. They run 3100 fps with H1000 in my rifle, and the drops are so close to the 168 LRAB I shot previously I haven't had to change my drop chart on my rifle. I guess the added fps makes up for the difference in BC? The rifle actually shoots them a bit better than the LRAB's and is very accurate out to 500 yds, the furthest Ive shot them. This year I shot a good mule deer buck bedded at 283 yds through the neck. Thats how confident I am of this rifle and accuracy.

Performance of the 160 AB has been exactly what I was looking for in the first place. Accurate, shoots flat, does well in the wind, less meat damage and exits the animals. I haven't caught one yet, but very little fragmentation is apparent, yet good expansion based on exit wound size as well as the holes in the lungs.

My 7 is now what I originally intended it to be. Flat shooting, good in the wind, can stretch if need be but good at closer ranges too, mid size big game rifle. All this to say, like most cartridges, proper bullet selection can change the personality of the 7.

Regards,
Manny

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a 270bdl that kicks harder than my 300 weatherby, win mag or 7 mag, has to be stock design.

Fück Joe byron
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hammer2506
I have a 270bdl that kicks harder than my 300 weatherby, win mag or 7 mag, has to be stock design.

Very much so. I currently have a 300 win mag that has a McMillan carbon fiber stock. It’s the most well behaved 300 win mag I ever shot. One of the worst rifles I had was a Colt CLR in 30-06. Light? Yes. Heavy loads, 200 grain partitions with as much RL22 as I could fit in the case. Still beat the piss out of you with 150’s though.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Only stocks that kick me with "cheek bite" are the Mod 70 XTRS and the S&W 1500, plus the old "made for Sears Ted Williams" model 70 knockoff. Ouch! Classic, straight stocks treat me the best. I never had too much trouble with Mod 700 BDLs, one in 7 mag, and my one other ADL 7 mag + my BDL 300 and 375 were in straight synthetics. Kimbers are nice to me. Only Weatherby Mark V that hurt me bad, real bad, was one in the new 416 Weatherby. Tears, bruise on shoulder, black eye.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'd never shot anything with the 7 rm until this year. Killed a pile with the 7-08 and a 7wsm. Last Wednesday I was setting in my brother's driveway in my truck he in his, when 2 does came out in his pasture. He handed me his remington 700 bdl lss in 7 rm and I shot both of them. 1 bang flopped the other ran around 50 yards before it toppled over. 160 gr accubond over reloaded 22.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hey Jim if you think the recoil of a m70 xtr in 7 mm mag is bad try one in 338 win mag. Redefines bad..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TNRock
I'd never shot anything with the 7 rm until this year. Killed a pile with the 7-08 and a 7wsm. Last Wednesday I was setting in my brother's driveway in my truck he in his, when 2 does came out in his pasture. He handed me his remington 700 bdl lss in 7 rm and I shot both of them. 1 bang flopped the other ran around 50 yards before it toppled over. 160 gr accubond over reloaded 22.

That’s about as good as it gets. Before 26 came around mine were fed steady with RL22 and 160 ABs.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had different experiences with 7mms. Won't own another. Mind you only shot maybe 10 deer over the years, 7-08, 280, 7 mag. all died but less than stellar performance compared to my 06 and larger.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
I've had different experiences with 7mms. Won't own another. Mind you only shot maybe 10 deer over the years, 7-08, 280, 7 mag. all died but less than stellar performance compared to my 06 and larger.

Then you're doing something wrong.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Teeder

Then you're doing something wrong.

No kidding.

I have two 7 mags and one 7X57. I have never had a problem killing stuff up to elk size with either.

I have other rifles such as 30.06 and I don't really see any difference. Hit them in the right spot with a good bullet with any of these calibers and they die soon.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You might be right, maybe I am doing something wrong, but my quickest and DRT deer were with the 35 whelen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the 35 Whelen on deer, too. It certainly whacks them. In the end, I decided it wasn't necessary. I'll take a 7mm-08 for deer any day.

Last edited by Teeder; 01/18/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You might be right, maybe I am doing something wrong, but my quickest and DRT deer were with the 35 whelen.

Ain't anything wrong with the Whelen!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Despite MY experience, if I was advising a young hunter on what cartridge for deer I would think the 7mm just about the perfect diameter and bullet weight range and you could hunt them with a 7-08 and never be lacking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you can shoot, it doesn't matter what you shoot. If you can't shoot, it won't matter what you shoot.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
If you can shoot, it doesn't matter what you shoot. If you can't shoot, it won't matter what you shoot.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. grin

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The 7 mag is fully capable of taking any game in North America with a 160 gr partition or Barnes tsx, one of the most versatile rounds ever invented.

Fück Joe byron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by crc1514
I’m 6’2 240 lbs and will admit that a Rem BDL 7 mag is more recoil than I care to deal with.

You're reminding me of a friend who is about your size. When we were at the range together, I noticed he was sitting at the bench directly behind the rifle. This is an awkward position. When we shoot from a standing position our body is facing the side of the rifle stock. So I asked him to move the stool to the side of the bench, and it was an awakening, shooting from the bench with the recoil not as painful.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I picked up an older Remington in 300 WM, I'm thinking about making it a 7-mm RM. Might put a #3 fast twist at 25 inches, just to be different. I think this would be a nice shooter.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
I picked up an older Remington in 300 WM, I'm thinking about making it a 7-mm RM. Might put a #3 fast twist at 25 inches, just to be different. I think this would be a nice shooter.

Sounds pretty much ideal. The 700 is perfect for that role.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
A really good recoil pad will eliminate a lot of recoil on the 300 and 7mm..mb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
put a Limbsaver Airtech pad on bros 69 vintage 7 rem mag... that's a nice pad!...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Loco have the same on my 65 model 700 7mag and an earlier one on the 300 makes a big differance..mb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP,
Every deer drops?
How many?

Head, neck shots?

Even so, your luck WILL change.
I have more faith in the WILL than every.

Dad has been using the 7mm for 40 years, early results were not good.
150 core-lokts, some grenades, some pencil through.
After a guy ran out of ammo trying to kill a cow elk, using 140gr core-lokts,
and i dropped one with one 7mm Partition, Dad switched to Partitions and Sloid Base Boattails. Suddenly, the drama stopped. When they discontinued SBBs, Ballistic Tips
did just as well. Good quick kills, "normal" expected damage, not excessive.

But he still doesn't drop ever deer in its tracks.
One, left actual lung chunks where it was hit.
And ran 75 yards.

The 7 mag ain't magic!

It sits on the upper edge of 7-08, 308, 270. 280, 30-06...7mag.
Only at the very margins would any of them be noticeably different given the exact same conditions.

Match the bullet to the conditions and desired performance, and they all will do fine.

Some pearls and some real BS in these threads.

JMHBS,😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

I sure helps. I have Sako’s, they don’t seem to recoil near as much as the Remington’s in the same calibers.

Shot placement matters more than anything. I thought for years I had to have a 7 mag until I watched grandkids slay schit out of pigs and deer with a 243. It opened my eyes a bit.

Last edited by hanco; 01/28/24.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
put a Limbsaver Airtech pad on bros 69 vintage 7 rem mag... that's a nice pad!...

I have limbsavers on both my 300 and 7 mags helps on the recoil. You still need to place your shot a lethal manner..mb

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by hanco

I sure helps. I have Sako’s, they don’t seem to recoil near as much as the Remington’s in the same calibers.

Perceived recoil is all about, or at least 90%, about stock fit.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey Jim if you think the recoil of a m70 xtr in 7 mm mag is bad try one in 338 win mag. Redefines bad..mb

Back around 1983, I saw a Model 70 XTR 338WM on Sale at Carter's Country in Houston. I had a young family then, so no money. Get this...asking price was $250! I told a young friend of mine and when his Tax Return came bought. I helped him mount a Redfield 2x7 on it and he bought the dies for me to handload it for him. Well, he gave me Speer 200HC for "deer" and the Sierra 250 SBT for "elk". I got them worked up all right, but that Winchester stock beat the dogmess out of me, wow! I had a BDL in 7mmMag and shot the 150 PT on deer. I had a load with 160 PT for "my elk load". I loaned it to another friend who had an invitation for an elk hunt, but his only rifle was a 243 and he was nervous about it. He and another guy ended up tag teaming a bull, boy was he happy!

10yrs later, when the first Mod 700's ADL synthetic stock and SS came out I bought one. All I did was have the trigger lightened up and locktighted the Receiver Screws which I gorilla screwed down hard. I worked up a load with the Barnes 120 X, and one time I shot a 1 1/8th", three shot group at 300yds off the bench. I gave that rifle to my Pastor when he came up here from Texas to preach for me. He and I got to hunt exotics that summer when I went down home to see my folks. My Pastor was a great shot and hunter and he loved that rifle! He took a nice BlackBuck at 125yds, DRT. The 120 Barnes did not tear up the cape or the meat. Next day, he shot a Spanish Goat/Ibex cross at what we all guesstimated was 400yds! He shot off cross sticks, which helped and I had given him a Leupold 4.5x14AO which he loved also. Boom, DRT! Through the next 17yrs (until he passed) I gave him several rifles that cost much more than that old 7mmMag, but would you believe he used it more than any other! ha. He had gone to the Federal Premium 160 NPTs and had taken Black Bear in Canada, Exotics and a wad of white tail with it. I have fond memories of him and when the subject of 7mm Mag comes up, I think of that 400yd one shot kill and the big smile and chuckle he had.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I’d have to agree. And for me and my hunting right now the old Whelen is probably ideal. I can’t recall when I shot anything over 250 yards let alone 500 outside of steel plates. Odd thing about the Whelen is that it knocks the hell out of anything, if you need to track it there is a blood trail a blind man could follow and, the meat damage isn’t any worse than anything else and often less. Nothing wrong with the 7mm Remington Magnum at all. And honestly it is probably the ideal cartridge for most hunters in the U.S. who hunt deer with the chance to go for something bigger once or twice in a lifetime. If I were to shoot one I’d have a custom chamber is all, allowing for a little longer bullet, bigger mag, and a 1:8.5” twist at 24” long. Likely a 160 or 175 bonded would wrap things up neatly. I almost bought on a couple years ago but bought a 300 Win Mag Nosler M-21 instead. Thinking a 7 Rem Mag in that rifle would have done just as well.

Last edited by brinky72; 01/29/24.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by brinky72

I’d have to agree. And for me and my hunting right now the old Whelen is probably ideal. I can’t recall when I shot anything over 250 yards let alone 500 outside of steel plates. Odd thing about the Whelen is that it knocks the hell out of anything, if you need to track it there is a blood trail a blind man could follow and, the meat damage isn’t any worse than anything else and often less. Nothing wrong with the 7mm Remington Magnum at all. And honestly it is probably the ideal cartridge for most hunters in the U.S. who hunt deer with the chance to go for something bigger once or twice in a lifetime. If I were to shoot one I’d have a custom chamber is all, allowing for a little longer bullet, bigger mag, and a 1:8.5” twist at 24” long. Likely a 160 or 175 bonded would wrap things up neatly. I almost bought on a couple years ago but bought a 300 Win Mag Nosler M-21 instead. Thinking a 7 Rem Mag in that rifle would have done just as well.

No thinking at all! A good 7 Rem set up as you described is a monster on animals and bit less of a monster on the shooter grin

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
OP,
Every deer drops?
How many?

Head, neck shots?

Even so, your luck WILL change.
I have more faith in the WILL than every.

Dad has been using the 7mm for 40 years, early results were not good.
150 core-lokts, some grenades, some pencil through.
After a guy ran out of ammo trying to kill a cow elk, using 140gr core-lokts,
and i dropped one with one 7mm Partition, Dad switched to Partitions and Sloid Base Boattails. Suddenly, the drama stopped. When they discontinued SBBs, Ballistic Tips
did just as well. Good quick kills, "normal" expected damage, not excessive.

But he still doesn't drop ever deer in its tracks.
One, left actual lung chunks where it was hit.
And ran 75 yards.

The 7 mag ain't magic!

It sits on the upper edge of 7-08, 308, 270. 280, 30-06...7mag.
Only at the very margins would any of them be noticeably different given the exact same conditions.

Match the bullet to the conditions and desired performance, and they all will do fine.

Some pearls and some real BS in these threads.

JMHBS,😉

Try the Barnes 120 or 140 TTSX and change your luck.

Last edited by Hammer2506; 02/01/24.

Fück Joe byron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cra1948
For several years I used a 7mm RM more than anything else. I can only recall 4 that dropped right on the spot and only one of those was not a CNS hit. Most ran anywhere from 25 to 100 yards. Just like any caliber, all that really matters is shot placement.

I've had the same experience. I believe there is no magic cartridge and no magic bullet. Each deer is unique and unpredictable! Even with well placed shots, one can never be sure of a blood trail or how far the deer will run.

Just hunt with whatever you like and shoot the best and enjoy those times when you get to practice trailing. Trailing is absolutely a part of ethical hunting!

Claiming one cartridge is appreciably better than another for most deer hunting is just silly and useless conjecture.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 02/05/24.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m down to one 7 mag. I didn’t think that was possible

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hey Hanco- I've pared down as I have gotten older, but if I had a place to hunt like you do, man, I think I would still have a Dozen, ha. Get Some on those pigs! smile

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

I've had the same experience. I believe there is no magic cartridge and no magic bullet. Each deer is unique and unpredictable! Even with well placed shots, one can never be sure of a blood trail or how far the deer will run.

Just hunt with whatever you like and shoot the best and enjoy those times when you get to practice trailing. Trailing is absolutely a part of ethical hunting!

Claiming one cartridge is appreciably better than another for most deer hunting is just silly and useless conjecture.

Just to add, I can only remember one other deer that dropped right on the spot without it being a CNS hit and that was with a .223, 65 grain SGK right behind the shoulder. For whatever reason, that deer just folded up and dropped right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used one for almost two decades with good results but have found most deer shot in the vitals (heart/lungs) are going to run a bit, 50-75 yards. Had a few drop in their tracks but not all, don't know that I've ever lost a deer with the 7mm but if I recall correctly, I've seen more dramatic results with the 270 with 130s. I've tried lots of cartridges but have never seen anything as consistent as the 270 in killing deer.

Recently, I've tried the 7 PRC and I'm thinking my 7mm RM will go into retirement, the PRC just does about everything better but admit it may be a bit overkill for most deer hunting in the SE. I prefer the 308 suppressed these days for local work on the deer herd.

If I draw KS again, I'm thinking the PRC will get the nod, it's easy to shoot and takes care of business.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by 257Bob; 02/13/24.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Deere_Man
I never had any tracking to do when I used a 7 Mag. Everyone said they did the 7 Mag Flop! Lot of wasted meat though.
this...... started using a 308 myself

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Hey Hanco- I've pared down as I have gotten older, but if I had a place to hunt like you do, man, I think I would still have a Dozen, ha. Get Some on those pigs! smile

I will still have more than a dozen. I’m working on getting down to a reasonable amount. I have some they will have to deal with. My son in law the dicktective works security at the Montgomery County gun show. He will help her get rid of the guns I have left. I gave my two son in laws a rifle apiece, they bought a couple apiece. Gave grandkids one apiece. I’m getting them out from under beds now. I have some I’ll put on GunBroker.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

That would be the bullet choice, not the cartridge fault.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bullet choice, velocity level and putting it in the right place no matter what cartridge you shoot. The old 139 gr Hornady sp (flat base).works fine in my 7x57, 7-08, 280 and 7mm mag. 2800-3200 start fps allways dbl ribcage shot they don't run far or have a lot of meat loss. You hit shoulder and spine bones you have meat loss with anything. I believe with the 7 mm mag the glory is you can load it to all those levels. A good 140 at 2900 is an easy shooting load that kills well and yet it's not a problem to get 3200 with the same bullet. you want hot? Without a doubt the 120nbt as fast as you can push it will exit and.more often than not drop in their tracks. I go.back to 1970 with my old 7 mag adl.mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 02/16/24.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

I’ll still have a dozen for sure, just not six 30-06’s, six 7 mags, six 308’s. I’ll have no 300 magnums, 270 WSMs, 270 Weatherby, 257 Weatherby’s. It’s a little more manageable now. I’ve gotten most everything out from under beds.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My 7mm RM (Ruger tanger, 2 1/2 - 8 Vari-x 3) went to one of my boys 15 or 20 years ago. Been thinking lately (as I’m trying to reduce the number of firearms my wife will have to deal with when her elderly husband kicks the bucket) I need another one, nothing outrageous, maybe a 700 CDL. That would only make a bit less sense than getting a.30-30 when the right one comes along.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My 7mm RM (Ruger tanger, 2 1/2 - 8 Vari-x 3) went to one of my boys 15 or 20 years ago. Been thinking lately (as I’m trying to reduce the number of firearms my wife will have to deal with when her elderly husband kicks the bucket) I need another one, nothing outrageous, maybe a 700 CDL. That would only make a bit less sense than getting a.30-30 when the right one comes along.

Making sense and buying rifles is lost on me whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s exciting to get a new rifle

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Sounds like fun, I like my 7mm Rem Mag. Certainly an effective cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had two 7RM's over the years. A Winchester Model 70 when they first came back out with CRF. It had an affinity for 162 grain Hornady BTSP's over IMR 4831. I killed nice Dall sheep with it back in 1995 with Gana River. I should never have sole that rifle. I still have a Browning 1885 in 7 Mag. It loves both the 145 and the 160 grain Speer Gran Slams and a good charge of IMR 4831. I killed nice west Texas muley with it several years back. 603 yards and the 160 Grand Slam laid him out. Unluckiest deer on the entire ranch. The old Browning is too purdy to take out hunting much anymore so my 7 SAUM gets that call most of the time.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my 7RM is magic!

It fires 160gr Partitions for my rare attempts at elk. Acts like a 280AI for deer with 120TTSXs at 3200. And pretends it’s a 7x57 deer rifle with 150GKs at 2600. Accuracy is impressive for all!🤗

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Blaming the cartridge for the inadequacies of the bullet construction was almost a patent owned by gunwriters of previous generations. Elmer always did it.

Those same bullets that direct focus on the cartridge are famously perfect when propelled by a 7x57 or .280. Why is that?

Every cartridge needs bullet construction that works consistently with the velocity ranges it is designed for. Its that simple and alway was.

H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Have one!----It's just a skinny .30-06!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A "bloody mess" is what I wanted to avoid with my one size fits all early 7mm RM, so I never shot a deer or elk with a bullet lighter than a 160 grain NP. I remember a work buddy telling me that he threw away the front half of his mule deer because of the blood shot meat using his 7mm Weatherby Magnum. For years I borrowed a friend of my dad's Pre-64 .300 WM and decided that was outside of my recoil tolerance level, so a 7mm RM was my first choice when I bought my own rifle. A little too much for deer, but it worked well for everything that I hunted with it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The only bullet used in a 7 Mag that gave me large amounts of meat damage was the Berger 140. The 150 BT and 160 Accubond not a problem. The Berger was extremely accurate but if you caught bone the exit was impressive. Just too much velocity for that bullet in my opinion. Doesn’t take away from the 7 though just wrong bullet selection.

GreggH

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.