Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
THOSE ARE GREAT BUCKS.

No deer for me this year but did get a young bull elk. Bullet went in behind front shoulder and came out in front of the opposite rear leg. No follow up needed

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes on one deer, first I can recall in a long time. Buck was only 25 yards away, facing straight on. I can still see him moving to his right just as I squeezed the trigger. He only went 20 yards but was lying on the ground, head up. He looked right at me but couldn't get up, so I put one through his neck right below his skull.

The first bullet only caught some of the left shoulder and the backside of one lung, punctured the diaphragm and took out the liver.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I made a less than ideal shot on my third and last one this past year, but no follow-up shot was required, just a little tracking through some puckerbrush, maybe 75 yards from the main trail. Have had to track some hit perfectly just as far.

I enjoy an interesting tracking job, as long as there’s a happy ending. Haven’t lost one of my own, yet…..

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Two nice bucks and a bull. All one shot

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Whether I had to shoot twice this year was a necessity or not I did put a second one in him as he just stood there after the first shot. He showed no sign of a hit with the first shot. Second one got his attention…..
First entered upper middle of lung and exited at the diaphragm on a slightly quartering too angle, second blew up the heart.
You owe it to the animal to put it down as fast as possible. If it’s still up, hit them again.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Not on my deer or Aoudad, but did on pigs. I try to get a two for one when pigs come out. The back pigs sometimes takes another round.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One shot, 100yds, one deer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

3825 24336
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Cretch
One shot, 100yds, one deer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That’s a great buck.

D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yes but not on whitetail. I got invited on a whitetail hunt in Texas. The ranch was a low fence working cattle ranch. I was sitting in the stand and an Oryx came walking down the road . I couldn’t believe it. I grabbed my phone and texted the guy that runs the ranch and asked if I could shoot an Oryx. He thought I was messing with him. He said “ sure if you see one go ahead and shoot “. Well I did. I was shooting my REM. 788 in 7mm08 with regular old Winchester 140 grain Power Points . I hit it perfect behind the front shoulder at 110 yards. It dropped immediately but got back up and started to run. It stumbled as it was turning and I was able to get another bullet in it on the opposite side behind the front shoulder . It went down again and this time for good . Exciting hunt! The guy that runs the ranch had no idea where it came from and had only seen one other one on the ranch about 6 months prior.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dpd
Yes but not on whitetail. I got invited on a whitetail hunt in Texas. The ranch was a low fence working cattle ranch. I was sitting in the stand and an Oryx came walking down the road . I couldn’t believe it. I grabbed my phone and texted the guy that runs the ranch and asked if I could shoot an Oryx. He thought I was messing with him. He said “ sure if you see one go ahead and shoot “. Well I did. I was shooting my REM. 788 in 7mm08 with regular old Winchester 140 grain Power Points . I hit it perfect behind the front shoulder at 110 yards. It dropped immediately but got back up and started to run. It stumbled as it was turning and I was able to get another bullet in it on the opposite side behind the front shoulder . It went down again and this time for good . Exciting hunt! The guy that runs the ranch had no idea where it came from and had only seen one other one on the ranch about 6 months prior.

Good on you for shooting again and congrats on the Oryx.
I'll shoot til' I know longer have a target if the critter is leaving town. I don't go to save ammo.
Having said that I strive for a one and done shot scenario.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’ll admit I needed a follow up on my bow deer. Spined him and didn’t want to let him suffer any longer than necessary so I put a second one through the lungs. As the OP said. Chit happens.

Last edited by bbassi; 01/07/24.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I put a second one in a buck last week. He didn't react much to the first shot, so I hit him with a second. First was good so I should have left it alone.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No deer for me this year.

If all big game can be discussed, I put a 2nd round into my bull moose, but it wasn’t needed as the first went through the heart. Typical moose reaction, as he just started walking off after that first shot. He was dead on his feet.

I also put a second bullet in my bull caribou as the first shot wasn’t where I had intended. The first would have killed him but he may have went a ways before dying.

My griz didn’t go anywhere but straight down at the first shot.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All one shots for me, 308, 30-06, 300 win mag, and 300 weatherby mag, all bang flop except the 308 one and she went about 15 yards. 150 ballistic tips in the 308, 150 partitions in the 06, 150 spire points in the win mag, and 180 TTSX through the bee.

Fück Joe byron
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I didn’t know oryx could swim.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Of the seven deer I shot with rifles this year, it was one shot each. A few went a little ways, but I knew I had them, didn't shoot again. The only one I shot twice was a buck I killed with a .44 mag revolver. My high shoulder shot went a little high and I spined him with a 240 grain XTP. He dropped on the spot, but when I got up to him he was still struggling, trying to get his head up so I put one in the heart/lung area to settle him down.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Twice in my life I have had to use follow up shots. These are not the "insurance shots " I now use, from a few yards out, having gone pucker-ville a couple times on moose.

As I recall the following up shots numbered 10 and 10..... on caribou. One had 5 holes in her, only 2 fatal, including the first one. She was too damned cold to notice she was dead, I think... smile. . It ain't easy shooting at 20 below with a 30 knot wind in your face.

The other was pre-range-finder days and much farther than I estimated- but the first shot hit, so I had to keep shooting.

Chit happens....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a good bow hunting one.
In fall 2019 I was bowhunting in Mississippi at a friends place. Were in lock-ons, he was in one right above me filming. A doe came out and when she got about 10yards away when I let the arrow fly - the arrow literally bounced off the deers shoulder. The insert was shoved down into the arrow shaft and the broad head was gone. We just kind of stared at each other trying to figure out what happened. After looking at the video, she lifted her leg to take a step right when I released and the point of impact squared her humorous. After a good while we came down, started tracking her and then lost blood.
Went back by myself in the same tree that afternoon. Was not in there for 15 minutes when a doe showed up. I stayed sitting down, drew back and waited for her to turn broadside, this one was maybe 15 yds. I did not realize how close the cam on the lower limb was to my knee, and when I released it made contact with my knee, kicking the bow towards the ground. The arrow stuck in the ground kind of between her feet. She jumped straight up in the air like a shot armadillo then stood there staring and sniffing at my arrow with the flashing nocturnal blinking away. After about 15 seconds she turned and walked away.
So I’m in the tree just fuming, mad as a wasp at myself while staring at my arrow sticking out of the ground flashing away, I hear another deer walking behind me. I nock another arrow and position myself - standing up this time. I watch the deer keep walking straight toward me. She stops at the exact spot where I bounced the arrow off of the deer that morning, she sees the strobing arrow from the deer I missed maybe 10 minutes ago. She walked towards it and stops with her head behind a tree. I drew back and released, double lunging her. Ended up having her hanging on the skinning rack back at the camp right before dark.
The broad head that “bounced” off the 1st deer was a rage trypan hypodermic. I had went to a back up muzzy 3 blade for the one I killed.
In Jan 2022, one the guys up there killed a big healthy doe with my broad head still stuck in her leg bone. Everything had healed up, no infection and she had raised twins. That broad head is on the kitchen window seal to this day at his camp.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No follow up shots…

But.did.miss.a.buck.

Clean miss.

Looked for blood. Looked for deer. Nothing.

Came back to where he was standing.. found the pine tree that was right behind him.

Yep. Shot under him.

Oh yeah. 100 yds.

Buck fever.. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

P.s. Checked rifle later that morning. Bulleyes… it was me. 😣😣

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I missed a nice buck crossing pipeline chasing a doe.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,599
Posts18,511,378
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.