Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Winston Pure and the Winston Air 2:
Has anyone had any experience with either, or preferably both of these rods? What do you think of them?
I'm in a place where I can't put my hands on both of them, and the reviews I'm finding haven't been helpful.

Fyi I'm looking at the 4 or 5 weight and either 8'6" or 9'

Thanks all.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What will you be casting with them? I have handled and cast both of them. The Pure line is very specialized for short casts with tiny dry bugs. It is too easy to overpower for me and I do not mind a slower action usually. I can see it being a great grayling rod... unless the wind starts blowing.

The Air 2 is a much faster rod. It would be far more useful for more situations. Both cast beautifully and very tight loops are easy with the Air 2. Both have great feel in the hand. I have several other Winstons and have fished them for years.

As an aside, last year I got to cast a Loomis NRX+ LP 383-4. Not far off what you are looking at. They make a 4 wt also, but the 383 is the nicest casting rod I have seen in a long time. It easily laid out casts farther than most can cast any fly rod. With more than several similar rods I am seriously looking at getting one...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Sitka Deer.
I'll preface this with the fact that I'm still learning on the freshwater side of things. I must often fish my 8wt along the coast for salmon. Truthfully I don't like the super fast action on my 8wt as much -- I just use it because I am blind casting streamers as far as I can go in saltwater.

In freshwater I've used my uncle's older Winston's and i really like that they're slower and more feel sensitive. I'll be looking for dollys in fresh water, any trout i can find, grayling. I expect to cast more wet flies with maybe a little bit of split shot on it, because that has been what I've used most. But I am hoping to expand and do more dry fly fishing.
Here in southeast there aren't many big rivers that I'm fishing in, mostly small rivers and creeks, and lakes I can hike to. However I hope to travel places with it, so versatility matters to me.

I like the idea of the pure but am worried it's not versatile enough. And I like that that the air 2 is more versatile on paper but I generally prefer the slower rods and worry it would be too fast.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would not consider the Air 2 a fast rod, just faster than a medium. It will not feel like a log.

Overlining a too-fast rod will make it easier to cast, but I am not a fan. Many lines are already heaviervthan they should be. Rio Gold lines are incredibly popular because of it... they are easier to cast.

I would be inclined to not use split shot with pricey rods... especially with fairly new fly casters and bigger fish.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you again. That is a really good reference point; with your comparison and some things I continue to read? The air2 seems the more versatile option.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.