Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
They're very good but awhile back one froze up solid while attempting to take a bison. It turned into literally an club. I have more reliable rifle makes but Tikka shoots well enough.

Did you degrease the inside of the bolt, by any chance?

The firing pin/spring/etc comes packed with a grease that is prone to freeze up.

Its very hard to find a more reliable rifle, as far as cold places go. Accuracy International Arctic Warfare perhaps. And the Tikka T3x model selected by our Rangers for arctic use with the two stage trigger.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Igloo
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
They're very good but awhile back one froze up solid while attempting to take a bison. It turned into literally an club. I have more reliable rifle makes but Tikka shoots well enough.

Did you degrease the inside of the bolt, by any chance?

The firing pin/spring/etc comes packed with a grease that is prone to freeze up.

Its very hard to find a more reliable rifle, as far as cold places go. Accuracy International Arctic Warfare perhaps. And the Tikka T3x model selected by our Rangers for arctic use with the two stage trigger.

Exactly^^^^ I've shot mine in some damn cold temps, and it always goes bang. Those mounties wouldn't have chosen the Tikka, if it were prone to failure. The Tikka has been one of the most reliable rifles I've owned. I place it right up there with my pre 64's, classic model 70's and sporterized m1917's in the reliability department. Those other rifles shoot damn well too, but they take a lot more work to get there. Generally more finicky about loads too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had a few of the 595/695 rifles that proceeded the T3 pass through my hands. They all shot great, but all but a freakishly accurate and unpicky stainless .243 were moved on as I had other rifles I preferred for my needs. Like many here I have a soft spot for Model 70’s so have a few that are the ones that get used the most. I have and have had numerous Remington, Ruger, Sako, Kimber, Weatherby and Howa rifles. Some stay. A few get shot occasionally. Most either sit or go down the road. It’s getting to where they have to fill a niche in some outstanding way or I get bored with them pretty fast.

The Tikka T3/T3X had never been given much thought as I thought they looked and felt “cheap”. I started changing my mind when over the past year I acquired and set up a pair of T1X rifles in 17 HMR. Both were amazingly accurate and not picky on ammo. The ergonomics and simplicity of the modular system began to grow on me.

As luck would have it, I came across a deal on a Stainless Fluted T3X in 30-06 with the VSX camo stock on it. It came with a Zeiss V4 3-12x44 on it and it literally had less than a box shot through it. It came with factory boxes for both and was intended to be flipped. I’m set on guns in the 30-06/308 class so had no real intentions on keeping it. By now I should know better than to shoot a gun purchased with the intent to flip. One quick range session and I was a T3X fan. This rifle and the 180 Norma Bondstrike where apparently made for each other. That kind of accuracy inspires a lot of confidence! The night after that range session I literally mounted 4 different scopes on it to see what combo it would live with. The Zeiss won out but was put into Seekins 30mm rings.

This took place in Early September. At the time I was waffling back and forth on what primary and backup rifles I was taking to Saskatchewan for a November deer hunt. I had it narrowed down to about 4 guns at that point. After handling and shooting the new Tikka some more it got the nod as my go to gun over a few old reliables - including some Model 70’s that have been typical go-to’s. The gun served me well on the opportunity I was presented. I had it out on a deer hunt this past weekend. I was thinking about how smooth the feeding is and recalled that I had 100% degreased the bolt assembly for use in Canada and it was running completely dry. It still
cycles more smoothly than some of my rifles that I’ve run hundreds or thousands of rounds through. The stock fits surprisingly good as well and I several Bansner stocks that I’ve finished myself for a perfect LOP and pad fit.

If you can get past the initial impressions you’ll find that the folks Tikka knew what they were doing when they put these rifles together. This one will get passed to one of my boys - hopefully after I get to tote it around for many future hunts.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Jason280
What's the general consensus on the Tikka T3X Lite rifles? I just picked up one in 7mm Rem Mag, with the 24" barrel and removeable brake. Brake will definitely be helpful for working up a load, but will coming off for any trips to the woods. Rifle feels pretty solid, and balances well with the longer barrel. I'll probably end up mounting a Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x, and will work up a load with 140-150gr BTSP's.

You probably already know this but the load you work up with the brake on will likely shoot different with it off. Sometimes the difference is dramatic. More often so on lighter contour barrels.

I've had several Tikkas and most have shot at least fairly well. I've had a few that weren't what I'd consider great in the accuracy department but I could always find a load that put me under 1.5 moa at least with the tikkas I've had and I think that speaks well of them overall.

My old heavy barrel 8 twist 223 is still in the safe because it has shot many groups under 1/2 moa. I just wish it was stainless. But, my 308 fluted super light and my 308 ctr were both about moa at best. My fluted 6.5x55 shot some .75" groups with its best loads but didn't often do any better than than. My stainless 8 twist 22-250 sporter and stainless 30-06 sporter have both shot many 1/2 moa groups and are most always under 1 moa so I've held onto them.

I've probably owned a dozen various t3's and have kept maybe 4 because they were great shooters. Many of the others did moa but they not much better so they're gone. For me to keep a tikka it needs to be really accurate because that's what I expect from them. I don't love them enough to keep one that just shoots good because there's things about them I don't like in general.

It's like savage bolt guns. If a savage is going to stay at my house it needs to be extremely accurate. I just don't like them enough to keep one otherwise.

Things I don't love about tikkas are just personal preference. I like a more open ejection port and longer magazine space to seat out. You can get around that on short rounds in a tikka but the long action ones are not desirable to me as a reloader. I don't like the one action size fits all or the plastic trigger guards and detachable low count mags. Not personally a huge fan of how the recoil lug works either.

Overall I think they're a great rifle for that price range but they need to shoot like people claim they all do keep my interest. To their credit they have sped up some of their twist rates over the last few years which means they are listing. Nice to see their 8 twist 243s now and 10 twists on their 30 cals. I can also say that all my friends that have them in 7 mag or 7-08 have had very good accuracy.

Bb

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent post BB! i feel a lot the same about the T3x....A T3x needs to be extremely accurate for it to hold my interest and all of em just aint that accurate. Most in my experience have been MOA shooters but not much better..Hb

IC B2

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a couple of superlite tilkas. If you are looking for a larger bore lightweight, the 300wm is the lowest cost ang most accurate light rifle you can buy. Next closest package, you are 1900 with a Kimber ascent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have only one Tikka right now. It's chambered in 7-08, this rifle like others on here is very accurate.
The actions on these rifles are as smooth as you can get.
I had my doubts, until I bought one and shot it.

Rifle is a T3X

Take care.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 01/06/24.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I’ve never owned or fired a Tikka, but I’ve seen all the glowing reviews. My only fault with the T3x lite is the detachable magazine. I prefer a blind mag, and those Tikka mags are expensive!

Take a look at Outkast Arms. They took over Melvin Forbes shop when he retired. They are stocking all kinds of makes and models of rifles in Melvin's famous stock, with blind magazine, and full length bedding. Would be a great set up for a Tikka. I may try one sometime. I really like the one on my CLR upgrade Melvin did.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 280fan, 2500HD, 22magnut, 257 mag, 44 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,564
Posts18,510,686
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.