Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The first noticeable damage on livestock carcasses and roadkill is typically the rear end is opened up. Possums are the culprits; they do this to get to the inside of the carcass and eat the organs. Sayin that, Possum Puddin may be considered good table fare by some, I will pass.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I was a teenager, I was at my grandmothers and ate the best roast beef I had ever put in my mouth. When I asked where she had bought it, I was informed that I had ate possum. I didn't eat any more, but it was the most tender and delicate beef I have ever tasted. Grany boiled it first and then roasted it with potatoes, carrots and onions.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
No thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve seen possums crawl outta deer carcasses….

🤢🤢🤢

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ground hog is where it’s at🤤🤤

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
So did mine according to my mama; I never ate it since that was long before my time. Mama said it was good but greasy even with boiling. My grandmother also ate chitlings; when she opened the pressure cooker, the stink chased everybody out of the house.

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning will take care of itself.
Coach Bryant.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

🤢🤢🤢

Sure, but we eat catfish and pigs which are just as nasty. I haven't eaten possum since, but I would if I was hungry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Millerish
The first noticeable damage on livestock carcasses and roadkill is typically the rear end is opened up. Possums are the culprits; they do this to get to the inside of the carcass and eat the organs. Sayin that, Possum Puddin may be considered good table fare by some, I will pass.
The pelvic girdle on a deer is probably too small for a possum to get to the guts.

Any animal starts there because that's the easiest place to get in and start on the eating. Look where a coyote starts eating as soon as they get an animal down, dead or not.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtimr1
Didja ever smell a possum? I would have to be a day away from dying of starvation before I ate one and I eat pickled tripe and pigs feet jelly.
Ever smelled a quail?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It was reported to be possum spaghetti provided for us on a bikeride.

Tasted fine but everyone was hungry.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I am convinced.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My father was born in 1917 and raised in rural west central Alabama during the depression. He often described his childhood life as being poor, but they really didn't much realize it at the time as everyone was poor. Subsistence hunting and fishing to supplement their gardening was just a way of life. I remember asking him if they ever ate 'possum. He said that he never did, but knew of some people that did. He said he was out hunting once and came upon a dead cow in the woods that had started to decay. He noticed some wiggling coming from the inside of the cow. Being curious, he gave it a good kick and said two possums crawled out of the putrid mess. He said from then on he never once got hungry enough to ever eat a possum.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never ate one nor had the notion to. If I was hungry enough I would eat one. I just haven't been hungry enough.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RHClark
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

🤢🤢🤢

Sure, but we eat catfish and pigs which are just as nasty. I haven't eaten possum since, but I would if I was hungry.
The thing about ham, is it comes from right beside a pigs a$$.

Ain't eating no possum. I'm a better hunter than that.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I worked with a guy that was in the outhouse at the deer lease and heard a noise beneath him. He shined his light between his legs down through the hole and there he saw a possum with literally a [bleep] eating grin.😂

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock63
I worked with a guy that was in the outhouse at the deer lease and heard a noise beneath him. He shined his light between his legs down through the hole and there he saw a possum with literally a [bleep] eating grin.😂

lol. I’d of pulled my pistol and Glocked that SOB.

Can you imagine getting bitten in the ass by a possum.

Not to mention the ribbing’s you’d have to take from the whole camp. 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
So, Jay Leno was funnin' us?
I hope Jed Clampet does not hear about this.

Last edited by wabigoon; 01/15/24.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I knew a guy once that was going to stop on a dirt road, kick a possum, make it sull up and put it in a sack. He ran toward the possum to kick it and tripped and fell on it instead. An incredible amount of scrambling, scratching, hissing and cursing issued from both participants. The possum escaped.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a young teen I worked a fur shed with my Dad's cousin skinning and fleshing. I think I got about 50 cent if it was a big coon, 10 cent a muskrat, 50 a mink, 10 a opossum etc. Those opossums were the nastiest of the bunch by far. Seen a live caught one back down the biggest german shepherd I've ever known, was my Grandmother's. It didn't want any of that hissing. Lol. Anyway, probably the last thing I'd eat but I'm spoiled these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd as lief eat a plate of barbed wire as to chow down on a greasy possum. You boys who like possum can have my share. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 27 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.