L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Keep drones out of all hunting
Sure. Let critters escape to die and not be recovered.

People have been recovering game long before drones came along. Get off your ass and find it.

Drones have no place in hunting unless to cull or control predators.

Agree with Calvin and others. This sounds more like a case of someone who had a drone and just wanted to use it. Kind of stupid

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder who thinks drones shouldn't be used for big game but use pointers or retrievers for waterfowl or gamebirds??

Should big game tracking dogs be outlawed as well?

Look at how many states have outlawed the use if hounds for mountain lions and probably bears. It's just a start.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/11/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's very obvious in this case that the drone was being used to recover a wounded deer.

I wonder if PA has any applicable wanton waste or recovery effort laws.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm

People have been recovering game long before drones came along. Get off your ass and find it.

Agree with Calvin and others. This sounds more like a case of someone who had a drone and just wanted to use it. Kind of stupid

The guy has a deer recovery business and even advertises his drone services. https://www.wingyds.com/

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 01/11/24.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

The guy has a deer recovery business and even advertises his drone services.
I have seen drone videos where a bad shot was made, animal left overnight and was still alive first the next day, let bed down for a while and finally died. Probably spoiled but at least a recovery was made.

Start tracking that deer and he is as good as gone.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 01/11/24.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

The guy has a deer recovery business and even advertises his drone services. https://www.wingyds.com/

The problem is if you make it legal for him, then it's legal for everyone. And then you get into the sticky situation where everyone can have a drone with them in the woods just in case they need it.

I would be very hesitant to introduce drone technology into hunting as it could have unintended consequences.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by ingwe
God forbid some hunter does something ethical in an effort to not waste game....

And they wonder why there are poachers.
^^^^^^^^^^^

To me it’s negligent to not do everything to recover a deer.

Caveat yes there is a risk of abuse but I don’t think restricting law abiding citizens because of what some MIGHT do is a valid argument.
Would you say that's like restricting everyone's guns because of what a few misfits MIGHT do? It's what liberals do.

Exactly where I was going

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't use drones to take or scout big game here in Oregon. Clearly spelled out in the regs.

How would most respond when sitting on their favorite stump and a drone sweeps by during season? I know what my inclination would be. I feel the same about 4-wheelers or bikes running cross country on public ground for retrievals. They don't make my day, but I have no issues with a hiker and his pack frame doing the same.

A buddy is a drone pilot. Without furnishing specifics, some creatures stand and stare while others clear the horizon. He is very careful with what he posts on the web.

I'd be fine with such on deeded property, but not public.

Should have read the regs before his first launch, so pinch him.

Just because a technology exist does not mean it should be included in fair chase.

Had an acquaintance that thought he should be allowed to pack his rifle while tracking a bull he wounded on the last evening of the season. Warden said, "season's over dude."

Having a history in research, I've seen IR drone images where one can spot nesting sparrows and mice along with coordinates in the dead of night. Great tool, but I speculate such would be abused. I could sure save a lot of leg work if such were legal in Or/Id,s Snake River Canyon.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/24.

1Minute
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We hunters are our Own worst enemies. Seems like a lot of people projecting here.

In most states you CANNOT cross a property line. If your deer crosses1 or multiple properties he is lost.

If you can find the deer laying in farmer joes woodlot, you can go right to his door and ask permission to recover a deer that would 100% rot otherwise.

It’s no wonder our country is where it is .

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by CCCC
My bet is that this guy will not be punished in the end, and the reg will get redefined in some sensible way. All in all, incidents like this usually occur in those jurisdictions where the G&F officers see their primary role as LEOs with too much authority to abuse (satisfaction to compensate for weak self-respect). In too may places they know, or exercise, very little knowledge and care about game management and service to those who pay their salaries. What % of people in this society are wannabee cops?
BINGO! I have a close friend that was a commissioner on our Pa. Game Commission. It is a 9 member panel for about a 10 year stint. He did a lot a of good things for us, for being a city boy, but he probably hunts more days than a lot of us do. Avid deer hunter, a rabid pheasant hunter, & keeps two Brittany's. From what he saw in the new day game warden is that they all want to be cops.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
dog = remote controlled machine ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"They can run a long way with a .30 hole in the lungs."

Ah, no they can't !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have fewer and fewer judges who would agree the burden of proof should be on law enforcement and if they can’t prove beyond reasonable doubt the decision should favor the citizen. January 6 and game recovery using drones comes to mind.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems like a sensible way to recover injured deer. They can run a long way with a .30 hole in the lungs.
If a guy is only putting a .30 caliber hole through the lungs he may want to start using different bullets.

No wonder they're running a long way.

I was using a 30-06 with Remington 180 gr. ammo. .30 entrance wound, .50 on the exit. 110 yard run guaranteed. Pretty good blood trail, however. I was shooting 12 whitetail a year so I got good at blood trailing.

both lungs, more like 40-60 yards,

Possibly 100 -150 for 1 lung & liver.

More, if gut shot & pushed.

But, we are using the far superior, .243, 25-06 & 7mm-08.

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dude has a legit biz helping ppl I see nothing wrong

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

The problem is if you make it legal for him, then it's legal for everyone. And then you get into the sticky situation where everyone can have a drone with them in the woods just in case they need it.

I would be very hesitant to introduce drone technology into hunting as it could have unintended consequences.

Bingo. Half the hunters will carry drones into the woods, and most of them will use the drone to scout for new deer to shoot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe require that the drone operator call the F&W cops before searching. He can give them a description of where the animal was shot and last seen, and the license number of the hunter. They then can tell him area allowed to search and times.

Wouldn't work in remote areas where cell coverage is spotty. Probably not allowed in wilderness areas.

Last edited by Steve; 01/11/24.

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
"They can run a long way with a .30 hole in the lungs."

Ah, no they can't !

You obviously have not done much deer hunting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Seems like a sensible way to recover injured deer. They can run a long way with a .30 hole in the lungs.
If a guy is only putting a .30 caliber hole through the lungs he may want to start using different bullets.

No wonder they're running a long way.

I was using a 30-06 with Remington 180 gr. ammo. .30 entrance wound, .50 on the exit. 110 yard run guaranteed. Pretty good blood trail, however. I was shooting 12 whitetail a year so I got good at blood trailing.

both lungs, more like 40-60 yards,

Possibly 100 -150 for 1 lung & liver.

More, if gut shot & pushed.

But, we are using the far superior, .243, 25-06 & 7mm-08.

wink
Even that .243 is putting more than a .30 caliber hole in lungs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1minute
Can't use drones to take or scout big game here in Oregon. Clearly spelled out in the regs.

How would most respond when sitting on their favorite stump and a drone sweeps by during season? I know what my inclination would be. I feel the same about 4-wheelers or bikes running cross country on public ground for retrievals. They don't make my day, but I have no issues with a hiker and his pack frame doing the same.

A buddy is a drone pilot. Without furnishing specifics, some creatures stand and stare while others clear the horizon. He is very careful with what he posts on the web.

I'd be fine with such on deeded property, but not public.

Should have read the regs before his first launch, so pinch him.

Just because a technology exist does not mean it should be included in fair chase.

Had an acquaintance that thought he should be allowed to pack his rifle while tracking a bull he wounded on the last evening of the season. Warden said, "season's over dude."

Having a history in research, I've seen IR drone images where one can spot nesting sparrows and mice along with coordinates in the dead of night. Great tool, but I speculate such would be abused. I could sure save a lot of leg work if such were legal in Or/Id,s Snake River Canyon.
Recovery isn't scouting or taking.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 204guy, 38 invisible), 14,028 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,113
Posts18,542,126
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.