Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Houser52
Originally Posted by killerv
Picked up one in 556 today. First one store got in. Been wanting a bolt 556/223 and almost bought a used 1st gen a couple weeks ago. Glad i waited. 550 plus tax

I’ve been looking at the Gen 1 556. What are your first impressions of the Gen 2? Shot it yet?

Stock not as bad in person as it looks online, barrel still a little off in channel but not as bad as the gen 1, definitely stiffer than the previous. Trigger was set at 6 1/2 from factory, lowest i could get it was 4lbs and its not consistent, may break at 4, next time at 4 1/2. hope to shoot it this weekend, literally just got done scoping it out.

Last edited by killerv; 12/28/23.
HR IC

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Picked up one in 556 today. First one store got in. Been wanting a bolt 556/223 and almost bought a used 1st gen a couple weeks ago. Glad i waited. 550 plus tax

I’ve been looking at the Gen 1 556. What are your first impressions of the Gen 2? Shot it yet?

Stock not as bad in person as it looks online, barrel still a little off in channel but not as bad as the gen 1, definitely stiffer than the previous. Trigger was set at 6 1/2 from factory, lowest i could get it was 4lbs and its not consistent, may break at 4, next time at 4 1/2. hope to shoot it this weekend, literally just got done scoping it out.

Thank you. Keep us updated on how it shoots.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

about 10 minutes or less and a spring change or a little bit of a clip on a certain spring in there you can have about 2 to 2 and 1/2 lb trigger. I've done that to every one of mine works very well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't cut the flat-seat off the spring. Work the existing spring until it's completely/tightly compressed a half dozen times, then reinstall.

I've done this to 6 ruger rifles, and so far, the triggers always break at a crisp, repeatable trigger weight. Depending on rifle, this is usually from 2-3 lbs. No money spent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NMiller
Do they all come standard with the loudener screwed on the end? Seems a bit unnecessary for the calibers they offer.

I don’t mind the loudener, as long as a properly contoured cap is in the box too. That’s what I’d want to know.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The Go-wild version came with the brake, but did not come with a thread protector. Customer service told me they did not carry a thread protector that would fit the 5/8x24 thread, had to buy one off of amazon.

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by stratton
The Go-wild version came with the brake, but did not come with a thread protector. Customer service told me they did not carry a thread protector that would fit the 5/8x24 thread, had to buy one off of amazon.
now that's [bleep] bullshit on rugers part

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
now that's [bleep] bullshit on rugers part

It is indeed. What’s the odds that an aftermarket cap, from Bezos no less, will fit properly? Pretty much nil I expect. If all the Gen2s, regardless of chambering, come with a brake, that’s crap too. A .450, sure. A .223, nonsense, at least without a cap included.

I have five rifles now that came threaded, two with brakes, a .308 that also had a nice cap in the box and a 10/22 without. Others came with nice knurled thread protectors. A .22 mag upper has a flash hider, sexy, but probably a place holder for a can, but otherwise not necessary.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
They actually have them, they just list them all as fitting only the 1/2x28 thread pitch. crazy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I cut the muzzle brak on my gone wild, into a thread protector. Hardest 5 minutes of my life.

Muzzle brake on my 416 ruger, spent $40 to get it cut off, barrel recrowned. That was almost unbearable.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
I’d like to see the Grendel take the mini-thirty mags like the 7.62x39 version. Not a fan of that long mag sticking out, but I’ll be tempted to get one for sure.

I've got a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel. The factory metal mag was not feeding very well. At the range, a Marine Buddy tossed me a couple of his 223 polymer mags for his ARs he shoots competitively. They are 10 rounders. They feed ammo just fine in the Predator model.

Went over to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought 5 or 6 of them for $10 each. All feed fine, and even picked up one of the 30 round versions for $14.95 each. They feed just fine also. Each one of these feed much better than the metal mag that came from the factory.

These are 223 mags feeding a 6.5 Grendel Cartridge.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
I’d like to see the Grendel take the mini-thirty mags like the 7.62x39 version. Not a fan of that long mag sticking out, but I’ll be tempted to get one for sure.

I've got a Ruger Predator in 6.5 Grendel. The factory metal mag was not feeding very well. At the range, a Marine Buddy tossed me a couple of his 223 polymer mags for his ARs he shoots competitively. They are 10 rounders. They feed ammo just fine in the Predator model.

Went over to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought 5 or 6 of them for $10 each. All feed fine, and even picked up one of the 30 round versions for $14.95 each. They feed just fine also. Each one of these feed much better than the metal mag that came from the factory.

These are 223 mags feeding a 6.5 Grendel Cartridge.

Gun magazine technology has only been around for a little over a century. It's a bit unrealistic to expect Ruger to be able to pull it off without a hitch.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Paul,
since I posted, and you made a response, I've been reading the entire thread, here at 5 AM.

I can't believe how much members have flamed the newer version or the American Ruger, without even holding and shouldering one.

I originally bought one in 223 when they first came out. Rotary mag wouldn't feed worth a crap and in the long run Ruger sent me 6 others, that experienced the same problem. Gave the rifle to a campfire member friend down your way in Luzyanna, who tinkers with things. He took the mags apart, smoothed them over with a file and some sand paper and they work great for him. Told me I could have it back if I ever wanted it back... but a gift to a friend is a gift to a friend.

Later Bought the 6.5 Grendel Predator model. The mag here fed better than the rotary mags did on the 223, but still hung up quite a bit. The Marine Buddy that tossed me a couple of AR Polymer mags, to try and that solved the problem immediately. Buying them at SW for $10 a piece, vs $50 for another factory metal one, I bought half a dozen plus one of the 30 round ones. All work flawlessly.

Ruger just needs some better quality control in making or whoever makes the mags for them.

But contrary to campfire fashion on slamming a product no one has held in their hands, I went out, bought one, it shot fine and the aftermarket polymer mag for $10 each solved the problem. I've put a lot of rounds thru the Grendel, probably 1500 to 2000 or more. I've tested all sorts of loads from A to Z, and even with bullet weights up to 140 grainers thru it. Instead of bitchin' about how it looks, I just used it...It works just fine.

Bought a couple Savage Axxis 2s in 350 Legend. Didn't buy them for the cartridge, bought them for the action, because Walmart locally was cancelling carrying guns all over Oregon any more. $250 each, so I bought two. One put a 17 Fireball barrel on it, and the other a 6 x 45 barrel on it. Campfire folks complain about the looks on those also. I just put barrels on them from Douglas and they both also shoot lights out. Took a deer with a 6 x 45 this past October. Blasted some sage rats with the 17 Fireball this past spring.

I just took them out and used them as described instead of getting all hung up on "they don't look traditional". Darn things work like you expect a rifle to work and do so giving a high degree of accuracy, even at distances of 300 and 400 yards.
There is a lot of beauty in just accuracy and consistent functionality.

I held my opinion of the rifles until I had put them in my hands and used them at the range and in the field. As opposed to looking at pictures and forming a negative opinion...and then blasting that all over the campfire forums. I'm sure most of the guys who base opinions on the look of the rifle from pictures, aren't all that good looking themselves when you see pictures of them.

Anyone I've ever met on the campfire, I've based my opinion on meeting them face to face, vs how they might look in a picture. Some of the best folks I've ever met in my life, have been off the campfire. Never really came with expectations of any of them, but only once or twice have I been disappointed.

Heck, I don't need a new rifle., but I am enjoying trying cartridges out, that I've never shot before ( all on the smaller side, instead of bigger magnum stuff).. do that by rebarreling stuff....

Pictures don't tell me anything I really need to know... holding it in my hands and going out and using it tell me what I need to know... some folks might call that maturity. This thread reminds me of people condemning something they've got zero experience with. That scenario is evidently a real problem with a lot of people... or is it just the campfire thread.

its hard to complain about some place, if you've never been there, ya know... smile

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I picked one up in 223. I think they are a deal for 550.
The ar style mag swap is what sold me on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I handled one in a LGS yesterday & the finish of the stock is much better than the original version & it shoulders & feels good to point.

But the stock design is just not to my taste as I like pure classic stocks, period . No Monte Carlo's no humpbacks, no semi-target or semi-tactical either.

Not on my hunting rifles.

Ruger should implement the improvements of the new versions into the old line & it would be a much more attractive package for a low cost, decent rifle.

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Totally get that. I didn't buy this to hint with. Just fling lead really.😁

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
If I wanted a Ruger American, that rifle would stay in the store. For shooting it might fit someone's bill. If it's awkward to carry they are a no go for me, and that looks very awkward, mag hanging down, rail instead of basic mounts, and the bipod, are all turn offs! Everyone has their likes, so many will buy it ( it's got tbe tactical look). I do like tbe barrel.

If it's the tactical look most are looking for I know a nice gentleman they need to talk to. Fix 'em right up..

I had enuff.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you can handle the host.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You might want to suppress the ranch model. That's one loud bitchhh. I shot mine a few times at varmints on the ranch and didn't have ears in and I went back to town and ordered the dang can!
I put a red dot on it and got some 10 round mags. Throw it up on the dash of the gator and use it for that. I'd buy one again. Sucker is accurate as it needs to be. Not a bad gun for 550.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 57 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.