Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22
I finally couldn't stand just looking and ordered a CZ 457 American in 22lr. I've heard a lot of great things about the 457 and decided I needed to find out for myself. I've already ordered some parts to help the rifle out. Different trigger spring, although I have Wolf spring kits I normally use for triggers, an extra used trigger to play with, a steel cocking indicator, and some upgraded screws. I'm sure I'll replace the plastic pillars with aluminum ones we use in the shop, and of course a bedding job.
Next will be a Varmint stock unless I can find a 17HM2 sporter barrel.
So, who to blame for this addiction. Not me of course. bsa?, Penndog? Drover? and a host of others. shocked wink

Bwahahahahaha. I was happy to see this thread. Cant wait to hear how she does for you. Did you get the heavy barrel, or the sporter? Either way, I think you will have a great rifle. I've been wanting to go this route for a while, but never could do it. Started to read about bolt shims, barrel shims, this and that. I should probably just buy one because I like to tinker. I know you will give us an honest report on this one. Keep us posted buddy!!!

I thought I could resist but I'm to weak. LOL
No, no heavy barrel for me. I find it more fun to get a sporter weight to shoot right along with a heavy barrel. I was shocked that no one offers a sporter weight in 17HM2, so I'll have to make one. Geesh! I would like to return one of my Sako's that's running a 17HM2 barrel back to a 22lr. so I'll be turning the CZ into a 17HM2 at some point, well, at least that's the plan.

MT DD FAN,
Those 452's do shoot very good but man, they have 3 strikes against them in my book. A 90degree bolt throw, a safety that goes the wrong way, and a trigger that looks very similar to the chinese SKS trigger.
I had one in 22mag. several years ago. Changed the trigger to a Timney, pillar bedded the action and a couple of other small improvements, all before I shot it. What a stupid mistake that was on my part. It wouldn't feed. Tried different magazines.....nada, adjusted the mag. follower, nada, so off to CZ it went. Now the 2 main reasons I bought it was 1. I needed a 22mag for Coyote to fill in for my 164M Anschutz and 2. the stock was a beautiful tiger stripe.
Got the rifle back from CZ and the first thing I noticed was it looked like they dragged the stock across a cement floor, plus they ramped the back of the barrel to get it feed. It's a rimfire. Hell I could have ramped it with a dremel myself. Anyway, they would not take care of the stock nor replace the barrel. I traded it even up for an old Browning A Bolt 22 mag. that was rusted from one end to the other and the stock was scratched up. Swore off of CZ's from that point on.

Here's a picture of it before I even shot it. LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If your CZ shoots really good, you could always sell your 541 to me. ha ha..

Oh, but it's not checkered yet and some rounds are hard to extract because of that tight D52 chamber. I would feel like I cheated you and that would make me feel soooooo bad.

Ha ha... Post pics of the 541 after checkering. You are right though, I am used to those loose Savage chambers. ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
K22 - I’d love to have a conversation with you regarding your approach to getting a 17HM2 barrel for your 457 American.

The HM2 is my favorite rimfire and while I enjoy each of my 452s it is chambered in, I think getting a 457 in the chambering would be an awesome addition to the squirrel rifle lineup. Especially when CZ releases the 457 American with the maple stock!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by K22
I finally couldn't stand just looking and ordered a CZ 457 American in 22lr. I've heard a lot of great things about the 457 and decided I needed to find out for myself. I've already ordered some parts to help the rifle out. Different trigger spring, although I have Wolf spring kits I normally use for triggers, an extra used trigger to play with, a steel cocking indicator, and some upgraded screws. I'm sure I'll replace the plastic pillars with aluminum ones we use in the shop, and of course a bedding job.
So, who to blame for this addiction. Not me of course. bsa?, Penndog? Drover? and a host of others. shocked wink

I am seriously considering getting a 457 American sporter in 22 LR, a local farm store has a new one priced at $600 and have 10% off sale going on.

I have looked at the 457's numerous times and two things have kept me from buying one yet -
#1 is the horrible mud colored finish on the stock and #2 is that I can't believe that it will group as good as my Tikka T1x MTR. I also am not a fan of the nearly 25" barrel.
But, I keep telling myself that it would give me a project for the winter. I am going to take another look at it on Monday, maybe by then I can convince myself that those things are not really important.

drover

drover,
You should really take a hard look at them. The longer barrel may create velocity loss, but sure would make a round quieter and the subsonics quieter even more. What's not to like about that.

One benefit we’ve seen at our local matches to the longer barrels is more consistent velocity. The longer barrels may be slightly slower but the speed is more consistent and they tend to be more forgiving on ammo.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

I am seriously considering getting a 457 American sporter in 22 LR, a local farm store has a new one priced at $600 and have 10% off sale going on.

I have looked at the 457's numerous times and two things have kept me from buying one yet -
#1 is the horrible mud colored finish on the stock and #2 is that I can't believe that it will group as good as my Tikka T1x MTR. I also am not a fan of the nearly 25" barrel.
But, I keep telling myself that it would give me a project for the winter. I am going to take another look at it on Monday, maybe by then I can convince myself that those things are not really important.

drover

drover,
You should really take a hard look at them. The longer barrel may create velocity loss, but sure would make a round quieter and the subsonics quieter even more. What's not to like about that.

One benefit we’ve seen at our local matches to the longer barrels is more consistent velocity. The longer barrels may be slightly slower but the speed is more consistent and they tend to be more forgiving on ammo.

The velocity loss isn't a concern for me but handling is. I go through a few thousand rounds of 22 LR in the spring and summer shooting gophers (ground squirrels). most of it is done from the drivers seat of my pickup. The Tikka T1x with a 20" barrel is so easy handling from that position that it has spoiled me. On the other hand with the 25" barrel I wouldn't need to constantly have the awareness of the barrels proximity to the outside mirror. Most gopher shooters that shoot from the cab have had a "Whoops: moment.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone in another thread mentioned how the longer barrel of the American adds balance to the short receiver and they weren't wrong. It's really a good feeling rifle when shouldered, not nearly as muzzle heavy as their Varmint model and the pistol grip is more hand filling. This might be a bit heretical but it feels better to me than my old Kimber of OR Model 82.

Mine isn't as accurate across multiple brands of ammo as a 20" Tikka T1x but with the stuff it likes it shoots right along with it. The Tikka will shoot most brands a tenth or two better but with the ammo it liked - Federal Automatch of all things - the American actually shaded the best group of the T1x by a few hundredths. It's not a bench rest competitor but isn't meant to be, and we're still talking 10 shots at 50 yards around a half inch for most ammo, .3's or .4's with the favorites.

The only thing I changed on mine was putting in a lighter trigger return spring but the easy change barrel offers all sorts of opportunities in that area.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by iShoot17
K22 - I’d love to have a conversation with you regarding your approach to getting a 17HM2 barrel for your 457 American.

The HM2 is my favorite rimfire and while I enjoy each of my 452s it is chambered in, I think getting a 457 in the chambering would be an awesome addition to the squirrel rifle lineup. Especially when CZ releases the 457 American with the maple stock!

We should start a thread just for this 17HM2 barrel conversation.

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

drover

drover,

The velocity loss isn't a concern for me but handling is. I go through a few thousand rounds of 22 LR in the spring and summer shooting gophers (ground squirrels). most of it is done from the drivers seat of my pickup. The Tikka T1x with a 20" barrel is so easy handling from that position that it has spoiled me. On the other hand with the 25" barrel I wouldn't need to constantly have the awareness of the barrels proximity to the outside mirror. Most gopher shooters that shoot from the cab have had a "Whoops: moment.

drover

grin There's been a time or two when I almost took out my side mirror trying to get on a Coyote. LOL

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Someone in another thread mentioned how the longer barrel of the American adds balance to the short receiver and they weren't wrong.

Thats an interesting thought.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

drover

drover,

drover

grin There's been a time or two when I almost took out my side mirror trying to get on a Coyote. LOL

Practically every truck I have owned has ended up with a nick or two on the edge of the mirror housing. Thank goodness I have never broken a mirror yet.
excitement of the hunt you know laugh

Hint of the day - just a dab of black silicone blends them right in and not noticable unless you look carefully

drover

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

drover

drover,

drover

Practically every truck I have owned has ended up with a nick or two on the edge of the mirror housing. Thank goodness I have never broken a mirror yet.
excitement of the hunt you know laugh

Hint of the day - just a dab of black silicone blends them right in and not noticable unless you look carefully

drover

laugh

I will remember that. grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Lilja makes a 17hm2 drop in barrel. Isn't cheap, but the folks on rimfirecental say that it fills out the barrel channel on the american quite nicely.

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by stratton
Lilja makes a 17hm2 drop in barrel. Isn't cheap, but the folks on rimfirecental say that it fills out the barrel channel on the american quite nicely.

I'm a huge Lilja fan, I have several of their barrels, but wow, they want both my arms and legs plus to buy one. I think I can make my own cheaper and accuracy should be on par with Lilja. We will see.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22

I'm a huge Lilja fan, I have several of their barrels, but wow, they want both my arms and legs plus to buy one. I think I can make my own cheaper and accuracy should be on par with Lilja. We will see.

I tire of seeing guys on youtube that brag about how accurate their CZ457's are, then later you find out they have rebarreled their rifles with a Lilja. I know I've said it before, but it's irritating. Both pursuit of accuracy, and Dan from rimfireSS tout their lilja barreled rifles. I'd just as soon shoot my factory barreled Savage MK2, if you have to pay as much for the barrel as you did the rifle. Just doesn't make any sense to me. I'm hoping your rifle shoots lights out, without having to go through that insanity..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Outfit named acculite22 has drop in 17hm2 barrels also, considerably cheaper than lilja, but have no idea as to quality

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Outfit named acculite22 has drop in 17hm2 barrels also, considerably cheaper than lilja, but have no idea as to quality

Those barrels used to called Whistle Pig and had a good reputation with the 10-22 guys. They might be drop in but they are .920 and the CZ sporter barrel isn't that large.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, no 457 for me. I took a look at the one at the farm store and the buttstock had so many dings on it that I did not even consider it. Some of them had been hard enough that they were through the mud color stain and was showing the unstained wood underneath. I thought of making a lesser offer on it but I don't really taking on a new rifle as a project refinish.
What really bothered me was that as the salesman was putting it back in the rack he managed to hit the buttstock on the barrels of two other rifles and likely put another couple of dings in it.

drover

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Other than the mud color stock and the dings, what was your impression of the action?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's hard to define my impression of it I have mixed feelings.

Bolt operatioin wasn't quite as smooth as my T1x but the bolt lift was slightly easier. The bolt cycle length seemed to be about the same. The slab sided look of the rear of the action isn't aesthetically pleasing to me but that is just a personal thing. Safety operation was smooth and positive.

The thing that surprised me most about it was that even with the near 25" barrel it felt lighter than the Tikka T1x even though the factory specs show the weights as near identical.

If it hadn't been so dinged up it would have come home with me, if nothing else just as an experiment to see how well it shot and handled in the real world.

drover

K
K22 Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks for your review input drover. I have yet to see one in real life and mine won't show up until today sometime if the weather doesn't get to bad.
This should be a fun project. I'll first put it thru the paces as a 22lr and see if all the hoopla about CZ accuracy is true. grin Then I'll start building a 17HM2 barrel for it unless aftermarket barrels come down in price which I don't see happening. I'm shocked to hear that CZ used plastic pillars............why? Why not use aluminum pillars?! Those will get changed.
All in all I think it will be a fun project.

On a side note, the 17 Aguila 20gr. arrived and I'm looking forward to seeing if my Sako likes them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, no 457 for me. I took a look at the one at the farm store and the buttstock had so many dings on it that I did not even consider it. Some of them had been hard enough that they were through the mud color stain and was showing the unstained wood underneath. I thought of making a lesser offer on it but I don't really taking on a new rifle as a project refinish.
What really bothered me was that as the salesman was putting it back in the rack he managed to hit the buttstock on the barrels of two other rifles and likely put another couple of dings in it.

drover

The first ones I saw when they came out were, as you say, muddy-looking, too dark, and unevenly finished. I went with an MTR, purchased online from a dealer who posted numerous clear photos of it from multiple angles, so I knew exactly what I was buying. Later, I converted it to a Premium with take-off parts I found on GB, and sold the MTR fittings locally. The MTR, Premium, and Royal have oil-finished stocks that are much nicer, if the style doesn’t put you off. I’m very pleased with my switcheroo. The stock has a grip swell, decent Turkish walnut you can actually see, and the silly logo they insist on stamping into the stock is located inside the checkering panel, so less noticeable and objectionable. Shoots very well too.

Be aware that ones with irons may require the removal of the rear sight ladder for mounting most scopes. I had a tiny Burris 6xAO that fits perfectly.

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.