Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Just got back from Big Ivy. My CTR was an absolute hammer. I didn’t have any misses at 450, 517, 550?, 700. The plate at 700 was huge so that doesn’t count, lol. Plates on the other 3 stages were from 6” - 10”. Went went up to 860-1001 and once I got my scope dialed correctly I hit 5 straight at 984 on a 16” plate, the guy with us gave us a different yardage so we were high. At 1k they had 36” square, 24” square, and 10” round plates. If you hit 3 consecutive on the 10” you get an MOA at 1k sticker. I went 2/3, 2/3, 2/3, and finally 3/3 on the 10”.

I hit a 6” round consecutive at 550? I think, and I also had hits with my 20” Howa mini in 6.5 Grendel at 1k on the 36” and 24”. It’s certainly out of breath by the time it gets there though, lol.

Overall I shot good for me, that’s an above average day for me I would venture, especially since I’ve only shot at 1k once before.

The guys I went with shot good as well. One had several hits with his 6 arc at 1k on the 24” and he hit the 10” with my CTR an the other guy had hits with his 6cm at 1k.

Sounds damn good buddy. Great shooting!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy cow, great shooting!!!

Lots of nice rifles and great shooting in the rest of the thread too.

How do you guys find a 20" CTR to carry, especially with a light enough scope?

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I do not find it that much different to carry than any other rifle. I have a good sling on it. Very accurate

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Happy to read all these reports on the CTR with the 20" barrel. I just received mine yesterday, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by duckster
Happy to read all these reports on the CTR with the 20" barrel. I just received mine yesterday, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor

duckster, have you ever shot a Tikka before? Expect the CTR to outshoot the lite versions. The Varmint models will shoot just as well as the CTR, but the CTR has some advantages over the varmint model. One being a much better box mag. Post up your results, I'm pretty sure you'll be pretty impressed with the accuracy. Even if you run factory ammo. I've never seen a poor shooting CTR.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have not shot any Tikkas but own 2 Sako M75 hunting rifles, one in 7mm-08 and one in .280 and they have shot wonderfully with a number of different loads for being hunting rifles. Anxious to try the CTR. A bit of a blizzard here this weekend so it will likely be a bit before I can get out.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I took mine to a place a few weeks ago that has an E target system at 100-300-600-800-1000yds. I shot several 3 shot groups at 1k with my ctr with the best being 3.8” and the worst was 13.3”. Conditions were pretty good so that certainly helped but I was quite impressed with how the ctr did.

I did one run where I shot a 3 shot group at 100-300-600-800-1000 only taking time to reload the mag when needed and all groups were under MOA.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Going to start out with a thermal on it for some coyote hunting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I took mine to a place a few weeks ago that has an E target system at 100-300-600-800-1000yds. I shot several 3 shot groups at 1k with my ctr with the best being 3.8” and the worst was 13.3”. Conditions were pretty good so that certainly helped but I was quite impressed with how the ctr did.

I did one run where I shot a 3 shot group at 100-300-600-800-1000 only taking time to reload the mag when needed and all groups were under MOA.

Pretty good buddy. Sounds great!! That CTR kind of spoils a guy. Sub moa is pretty easily achieved with one, out to 1,000. Especially on a good day. Lately, I've just been practicing out to 800 with mine.

Are you still running the 12x SWFA? I ran a 16x SS on my Savage 12fv 6.5CM, for a long time. That scope dialed very well, but the glass was crap. The parallax adj. was finicky too. Generally with the Nightforce scopes, I just adjust it for around 600 yards, and shoot everything from 276 to 800 yards with it. The last competition here, was a speed match, and you don't have time to dink with that sort of thing. Used holdovers too, and it worked great. The only weak link was me, trying to remember holdovers for 276, 400, 500, 600, 611, 714, and 800 yards. Those CTR's are shooters man..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Pretty good buddy. Sounds great!! That CTR kind of spoils a guy. Sub moa is pretty easily achieved with one, out to 1,000. Especially on a good day. Lately, I've just been practicing out to 800 with mine.

Are you still running the 12x SWFA? I ran a 16x SS on my Savage 12fv 6.5CM, for a long time. That scope dialed very well, but the glass was crap. The parallax adj. was finicky too. Generally with the Nightforce scopes, I just adjust it for around 600 yards, and shoot everything from 276 to 800 yards with it. The last competition here, was a speed match, and you don't have time to dink with that sort of thing. Used holdovers too, and it worked great. The only weak link was me, trying to remember holdovers for 276, 400, 500, 600, 611, 714, and 800 yards. Those CTR's are shooters man..

Yeah, still have the swfa 12x on mine. I started to try a 16x but reviews seemed to show 16x and 20x glass could be wonky.

One of the guys I shoot with has an Arken EPL5 5-25 on his Seekins 6cm that has been solid so far. I have three 12x swfa scopes that have been great so I’ll probably stay there for now.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yeah, still have the swfa 12x on mine. I started to try a 16x but reviews seemed to show 16x and 20x glass could be wonky.

One of the guys I shoot with has an Arken EPL5 5-25 on his Seekins 6cm that has been solid so far. I have three 12x swfa scopes that have been great so I’ll probably stay there for now.

It's working well for your needs. That is all that is important. Sounds like it's working real well in fact. Cool stuff man. Sounds like that little CTR is working well for you too. It's funny, where I shoot, I'm just about the only one that uses a classic style stock. Everyone else is running chassis systems. On occasion, there will be a new shooter show up, that wants the local gunbuilder to build them a rifle, and they say they want a rifle with a more classic style stock, and they ask how they do in shoots like these. I've heard him and a couple other guys tell them to watch how my rifle does. Both of my rifles are pretty much bone stock, except for the bedding and a few add ons. I've thought about upgrading to the Tac A1, but for the money, and my style of shooting, I am very happy with the CTR. I know I've said this before, but I will say it again, the Mcmillan A3 edge is a great upgrade, that I can feel and also see on target downrange. It's a little more comfortable shooting in the prone, with no rear bag vs. the CTR factory stock, and it feels more stable. There's a little more to hang on to back there, for that type of unsupported shooting. Off the bench, it's also more comfortable. One of the reasons I put a bag rider on the factory CTR stock is because it gives me something to hang on to in these shoots. Makes it more controllable/steady.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No one there runs a SWFA. A schidt ton of Vortex Razor HD's, Nightforce, 1 Leupold, a couple new weird looking short Zeiss LRP, some Arken's, a couple Tract Torics, US optics, and a couple S&B's.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

It's working well for your needs. That is all that is important. Sounds like it's working real well in fact. Cool stuff man. Sounds like that little CTR is working well for you too. It's funny, where I shoot, I'm just about the only one that uses a classic style stock. Everyone else is running chassis systems. On occasion, there will be a new shooter show up, that wants the local gunbuilder to build them a rifle, and they say they want a rifle with a more classic style stock, and they ask how they do in shoots like these. I've heard him and a couple other guys tell them to watch how my rifle does. Both of my rifles are pretty much bone stock, except for the bedding and a few add ons. I've thought about upgrading to the Tac A1, but for the money, and my style of shooting, I am very happy with the CTR. I know I've said this before, but I will say it again, the Mcmillan A3 edge is a great upgrade, that I can feel and also see on target downrange. It's a little more comfortable shooting in the prone, with no rear bag vs. the CTR factory stock, and it feels more stable. There's a little more to hang on to back there, for that type of unsupported shooting. Off the bench, it's also more comfortable. One of the reasons I put a bag rider on the factory CTR stock is because it gives me something to hang on to in these shoots. Makes it more controllable/steady.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No one there runs a SWFA. A schidt ton of Vortex Razor HD's, Nightforce, 1 Leupold, a couple new weird looking short Zeiss LRP, some Arken's, a couple Tract Torics, US optics, and a couple S&B's.

More chassis rifles are showing up around here, even at our local 22 shoots. Scope wise, lots of Vortex, lots. Some Razors but mainly Vipers and Diamondback Tacticals. Pretty much everyone shooting Vortex and not a Razor has gotten to brag on the Vortex warranty because their scope has taken a dump or three. At the 22 shoots more Athlons are appearing in 6-24 and 8-34.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.