Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
When my late Brother was just getting started in the guide business he was a wrangler for Jack Beckman in Salmon Idaho. He didn’t stay in Salmon long before he moved to Wyoming to take a gas drill job the money was too good to pass up. One of the guys who ran mud pumps on the rigs was a long time trapper and my Brother started picking his brain. He tried to run a few trap lines when he was younger after spending some time with a trapper from Edmonton but was unsuccessful to say the least. But this old timer let my Brother tag along and from what he told me one season was a chance to learn more about game habits than he ever thought possible. That one season with a trapper was, according to him, the smartest move he ever made for no money. I spent some time with him deer hunting and his so called gut feelings were almost uncanny.

Rick

Last edited by Woodpecker; 01/06/24.
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Id have to say, A good trapper is more in tune with animals and with nature over other sportsmen. He learns about all species that are available to him to trap. He is in the field every day. Learning what the critters do throughout the seasons and will adapt and change with them. Year after year and pursues them even when the return to the trapper is next to nothing. A trapper has more encounters with animals than say a big game hunter. Just my thoughts and observations.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
By design a trapper needs a whole different efficiency level than a hunter.

A trap or snare does not stretch out to any sort of range like a gun, bow, spear etc. A trapper to be successful has to get the target animals head or paw into/onto a few square inches of area. By necessity the trapper had better be extremely animal savvy, and clever.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When you become successful as a trapper I believe you are aware of alot of things in the woods that you would have walked by before. Your eyes see and look at many things in the woods completly different.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Mark99
When you become successful as a trapper I believe you are aware of alot of things in the woods that you would have walked by before. Your eyes see and look at many things in the woods completly different.

Absolutely.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have been retired for four years now. Have built three blinds on our 30 acres. Spend a lot of time in them.
Have seen a lot of stuff I was not before. My deer killing has improved over the years because of it.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Yes that is what I’m talking about. Saavy almost a second sense with trappers.

Rick

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 280Ackleyrized, 219 Wasp, 51 invisible), 2,148 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,269
Posts18,504,970
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.