M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Came into an old box of '06 ammo. I've never seen primers shaped like these before. Also, some rounds are stamped "30-G-1906," which I've also never seen before. Anyone have any idea how old this stuff is?

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep, if you want, I would. I might take a reading on the overall length first and using a inertia puller or collet puller bump the bullets out just a smidge first, just in case they're welded fast to the necks which would make excess pressure. Just enough to move them forward, then re-seat them at factory length. Other than that I wouldn't be scared of them personally. Just me, doesn't mean I'm right, but it wouldn't scare me.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No way I'd shoot those

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've shot older looking rounds than those without issues. Minus the funny looking rounded primers. But maybe I've been fortunate.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They should be safe to shoot, however - that stuff may have some collector interest.
I’d save them and find a cartridge collector and see what he has to say.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’m not a collector, just an accumulator. I have boxes and partial boxes of old ammunition around. Something with those cool old headstamps? No way would I shoot it. Not unlikely that those are corrosive primers, for one thing. What’s to be gained by shooting it? Just satisfy your curiosity about whether it would shoot and maybe run it over a chronograph? And then what?

Mathew 22: 37-39

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
As cheap as -06 ammo is, I would keep those around as collector stuff.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mixed head stamps. No Way! Looks like old reloads

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No hesitation.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I would be more interested in dissembling one to investigate the primer.

While I wouldn't have heartburn shooting them, I think they have more value as a conversation piece. As others have said, new 30-06 ammo is relatively inexpensive.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Looks like it’s Winchester ammo in a Remington box..

Last edited by navlav8r; 01/13/24.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them, but would much rather keep them as collectibles.

M
Maxwell Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Appreciate all the input. I hate to collect things I can’t use, but I suppose the best thing to do is squirrel these away.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Shoot 'em.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They're neat, but not what I'd call rare. The domed primers were common 100 years ago. If they're reloads, I wouldn't shoot them because I don't know what's inside. If they're factory and i was shooting them, I'd follow Shade Tree's advice, though there are easier ways to make sure the bullet isn't welded to the case. I woud clean the gun right away in case there's any mercury in those primers, and wouldn't shoot them if there's any corrosion at the case mouth.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Mixed brass, some Remington and some Winchester, would be a big red flag for me. Maybe somebody consolidated partial boxes into one, or maybe they're reloads. I wouldn't shoot them in a rifle I cared much about.

The Western/Winchester 30-G-1906 brass is pre WWii, and the Remington Box is post WWII just to mix things up a little more!

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
No

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bpas105
They're neat, but not what I'd call rare. The domed primers were common 100 years ago. If they're reloads, I wouldn't shoot them because I don't know what's inside. If they're factory and i was shooting them, I'd follow Shade Tree's advice, though there are easier ways to make sure the bullet isn't welded to the case. I woud clean the gun right away in case there's any mercury in those primers, and wouldn't shoot them if there's any corrosion at the case mouth.

I can always learn and there's always things I never thought of. What would be the easier way to make sure a bullet isn't welded? Just seat them a little deeper initially? If so I thought about that in the past, but logic told me that if a factory crimp is involved it's easier on the bullet & case to move them ahead first, but I could be wrong.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it if I had a good reason. You certainly won't hurt anything by trying. If nothing else you'd find out how long ammunition remains viable and that's enough reason for me to try some out every other year or so.

Really old ammunition may fail to fire which is about the worst that can happen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jason280
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot them, but would much rather keep them as collectibles.

Same here.

I can’t see a scenario where old 06’ ammo would be loaded to a pressure unsafe in a modern rifle. I can’t see a point to shooting it either though. If you’re not going to hunt with it why bother shooting it just to shoot it. I’d rather save it on a shelf in the gunroom.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I would keep the Super-X for the unique headstamp.

The SuperSpeed: I would disassemble each of them. Take a good look at the powder & case for deterioration. Reassemble if good. Shoot 5 for confidence in a bubba-ized 1903 and then kill a deer with the sixth.

Michael

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by bpas105

I can always learn and there's always things I never thought of. What would be the easier way to make sure a bullet isn't welded? Just seat them a little deeper initially? If so I thought about that in the past, but logic told me that if a factory crimp is involved it's easier on the bullet & case to move them ahead first, but I could be wrong.
A careful twist of the bullet will do for me, taking care not to deform the brass or bullet. If it twists very easily, I look a second time for a split neck. If that doesn't reasonably work, then your method is the next option.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have enough old crap lying around, so I’d give them to a “collector”/hoarder, or break them down.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I bought my first press back in 1955, it came with four primer seating stems, two were for large and small flat primers and two for small and large rounded (domed) primers and one could still buy either type primer. The domed variety disappeared shortly after about 1956 as I recall. Frankly, I don't remember buying any new factory ammo back them that came with domed primers but I'm sure there may have been some. I do remember that for a few years handgun ammo did have domed primers I still have the seating stems for those domed primers somewhere out in my reloading shed.

PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (204guy, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.