Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We held the service this morning at 11.
Then 8 of us carried him out and slid the casket into the bed of his 1 ton Dodge dually. We jumped in there with him, and took a ride around the ridge above Pleasantville where we used to hunt. Nineteen degrees and windy, but it’s Dave, and he’d have done the same for us.😀
Then on to the cemetery where he’ll rest beside The Old Man and Mom.
I sure wasn’t ready to say goodbye to my brother and hunting partner of 40 some years, but I’m sure he and Dad and a few of our Beagles are after the rabbits and the Deer on that Big Mountain that The Old Man spoke of hunting someday.
His youngest son Jake is now gonna be my partner since Ben lives 8 hours away. Jake’s a great young fellow, and i know he’s gonna have my back, just as I’ll always have his.
Goodbye Dave! I love you and I’ll treasure the memories we shared until I join you and The Old Man!
The torch is passed, and me and Jake are gonna carry on the tradition that you and I learned from Dad. I’ll miss you.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Never a good time to lose a Loved One.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like a nice service and a helluva send off. Your brother sounds like a good man and I wish I could’ve met him. God speed Dave.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
7mmbuster ,

Condolences , I hope Brother Dave is resting peacefully.

Death of a loved one is always tough , God Bless You ...

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sounds like a good last ride👍👍

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Sounds like a good last ride👍👍

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sounds lime you had a great bond with your brother..

My brother and I arent that close…

No ill will between us, just two totally different ppl with different interests…

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Sorry for your loss.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We got to using our pickups when The Old Man died in 2010.
The Hearse fee was $300, and the cemetery was a half mile away!
So we slid the casket into Gue’s F-150 and we pall bearers hopped in and rode to the cemetery and carried him up the hill.
Everybody liked the idea, and a bunch of us made a pact that this was what we were gonna do.
This is the 4th one we done without a hearse! The undertaker loves the idea, and when he goes, Gue’s truck is already on reserve!😀
The ride around the ridge was me and Gue’s idea. It was cold, but we had fun and I’m sure Dave loved it!😀
Possibly a little tacky for some high brow folks, but our necks are red enough that we don’t care.
Funny thing I sorta noticed last night at the viewing. Gue and I were relating one of Dave’s more humorous exploits to a friend who had come in.
I looked over in the casket, and honest to God, I saw a little bit of a smirk on Dave’s face.
At the funeral, he looked peaceful and relaxed, but the smirk I saw last night was gone!😀
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are a good brother! Sounds like Dave was too.

Sorry for your loss.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry for your loss. I loss my brother back in 2010. He was my hunting partner and the one that got me into hunting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
So we slid the casket into Gue’s F-150 and we pall bearers hopped in and rode to the cemetery and carried him up the hill.
Everybody liked the idea, and a bunch of us made a pact that this was what we were gonna do.
This is the 4th one we done without a hearse! The undertaker loves the idea, and when he goes, Gue’s truck is already on reserve!😀
The ride around the ridge was me and Gue’s idea. It was cold, but we had fun and I’m sure Dave loved it!😀
Possibly a little tacky for some high brow folks, but our necks are red enough that we don’t care.
Funny thing I sorta noticed last night at the viewing. Gue and I were relating one of Dave’s more humorous exploits to a friend who had come in.
I looked over in the casket, and honest to God, I saw a little bit of a smirk on Dave’s face.
At the funeral, he looked peaceful and relaxed, but the smirk I saw last night was gone!😀
Reon

You don't need some stranger driving your brother to his final resting place. That's a great way to operate.
LIKE !!!

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hell yeah👍

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
God bless you Reon, and your brother Dave. Rare to be such wonderful brothers for life. God is with you both and Jake. By taking in Jake, you are doing good work. You are such a great brother.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry for you and your family's loss of Dave. As for the send off, I like your style!

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 01/14/24.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RIP

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
God's peace......sorry for your loss.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Reon
Touching story! First class service!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lost a younger brother a few years back, it wasn't easy. His memory will always be with me.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,339
Posts18,506,151
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.