OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Any real world, used it opinions please. Considering one for bow hunting. TIA

GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I would never carry one around when I could just play the wind, but I have used one a total of one time when my buddy gave me his to try out last year.

Arrowed a buck that evening right as he smelled me and went to bail out lol.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I can only carry so much schit into the woods with me.

So, no.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How to carry one in would be a concern for me too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an industrial ozone generator. I bought it as I was in the process of moving out of previous house. The basement had been flooded, and acquired a musty smell.

1) Ozone bleaches. I had to put it up off the carpet on a chair. I managed to put a bit of a mark on the old indoor/outdoor carpet in a night or two.
2) If I ran it, you could tell the smell in the basement was improved, but it was not permanent. Once the unit was off the smell came back.
3) Look, I've said this numerous time on here. If you're worried about scent, simply use baking soda. It's cheap. It's effective.

Baking Soda-- The Shamanic Method

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 71Maverick
How to carry one in would be a concern for me too.

No for me - tried one with limited results.

Ozonics sells a combination system carrier and day/fanny pack that actually works pretty well, but it's more "stuff" to carry to and from the woods.

The generated ozone flow is supposed to be blown / passed down over you to mask your scent - guess what? If you don't pay attention to the wind - it's not blowing down over you anyway.

The stock battery life is pretty short, and like Dewalt - you have to pay for the longer life batteries, and they are pretty expensive.

If you have a consistent hunting location, or a semi-permanent stand and can leave the mount attached to the tree, blind, etc - maybe.

My lessons learned - playing the wind was more effective over all - than adding another gadget to the pack that needed to be screwed in to the tree.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No.
Had two ozone machines running in an enclosed blind on a grizzly bowhunt in Alaska.
The bears got down wind, and turned around and left.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As others have said, I don't want to carry the thing around in the woods....just play the wind accordingly based on the stand, and I've been told they make noise when turned on.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always use a Ozonic setup while deer hunting. I also wear a scent suit, use baking soda, scent soap and spray down with Scent Shield. I'm very anal about being scent free while hunting, but nothing works a 100% of the time. I've had more success trying to be scent free than always having deer walking up wind of me.
Just hunting the wind is a no brainier but far from fool proof especially so when bow hunting. Just carry your Ozonic in a back pack with your range finder, binoculars and other essentials.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On another forum ( habitat talk) having an enclosed blind well sealed and using a propane nu - wave stove with chimney . Several members believe it eliminates most odors.

Last edited by Angus1895; 10/29/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks you guys for the feedback.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have serious doubts about their effectiveness, especially for someone like me that sits in the open, not in a box. All the other points brought up by others also apply. The bottom line for me though is that my hunting isn’t warfare. I gotta give the game something, so I’m giving them the wind……

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ll be the odd man here. I love mine! Absolutely a game changer for me. My best stand has fickle wind and limited stand choices.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Used the same routine back in the 80's. I do use the scent free non uv deregent , but also put baking soda in. All my clothes get stored in giant ziplock storage bags that you use a vacuum on to shrink them down nice and compact. Keeps them scent free, and keeps the moths of the wool.Great post!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a good friend uses his Ozonics bowhunting all the time and tells me it makes a difference and helps him alot ,friend did shoot a big 10 pt. last fall 2023 using his Ozonics too with his bow too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (450yukon, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 2ndwind, 14 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,379
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.