Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I'm still running the Hornady 100 gr spire point out of my Ruger 1-A 257 Bob, because I was lucky enough to snatch 4 boxes of them from someone selling them here 3-4 yrs ago. They work great on WT and hogs, often a bang flop at closer ranges, <200 yards. I'm running 45.5 gr of H4350 behind them, MV is 3130 fps average.

Bill

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tx270
I'm still running the Hornady 100 gr spire point out of my Ruger 1-A 257 Bob, because I was lucky enough to snatch 4 boxes of them from someone selling them here 3-4 yrs ago. They work great on WT and hogs, often a bang flop at closer ranges, <200 yards. I'm running 45.5 gr of H4350 behind them, MV is 3130 fps average.

Bill
Yeah they work.

26” barrel?

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use 100gr Hornadys in .250 Savage, .257R, and .25/06 with uniformly excellent results.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i own a few 257 Roberts too most of mine do have slow twist rifling as do most 257 Roberts rifles people own and use . so for my grandson and the ladies that hunt with the family i have started loading ,shooting and have them hunt with a 75 GR. Hammer Hunter bullets they are very accurate ,faster and in Minnesota our whitetails are big like Canada ,Montana has some too that are bigger . this 75 gr. Hammer bullet really works well on deer with a little less recoil too in a slow twist older rifle with a lot less recoil complaining. i do have 2-257 Roberts rifles rebarreled with a fast 8 twist ,25 inch Brux barrel chambered in a 257 Roberts these 2 rifles do shoot bigger grain bullets somewhat better . those 100gr. Hornady bullets will work just fine if your a hand loader Reloader 17 powder has work well for me. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've been fairly fortunate at gathering a few 100s after they were discontinued. Should last me a while and a while after I'm gone for my grandson.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I've been fairly fortunate at gathering a few 100s after they were discontinued. Should last me a while and a while after I'm gone for my grandson.

That'll keep a fella shooting for awhile!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Pete, have read your Hammer reports with interest. To me, they are in a class by themselves, great technology. They open new options for those who have to go non-lead.

I wonder how long before we’re all in that camp. So, expanding mono options is never a bad thing. Only downside, they’re expensive. But how many do we actually shoot at game. Plink with cheaper stuff.

If y’all haven’t seen the YouTube piece, Adam Weatherby interviewing the Hammer founders, Google it. Very interesting with lots of technical info. Wby has a YouTube series that is very good.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I hope you have better luck than I did with .308" 150 and 165 grain flat base Interlocks over that same time/package evolution.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
I hope you have better luck than I did with .308" 150 and 165 grain flat base Interlocks over that same time/package evolution.

Good point .... I'll take some measurements and see if I can find any external differences.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 100 grain Hornady Interlock is the most accurate bullet in my 25-06’s. I don’t want to try them in my newly acquired 25’s. I hate to use up the ones I have.

The 100 grain SPEER hot cores are very accurate in my 250’s. The SPEER 87 grain hot cores also shot well in the 250’s. I wonder how that combination would work on whitetail out to 300 yards.

I’m impatiently waiting for time on the bench with my newest 257. I sold the last one, this one is a 700 Classic.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by southtexas
I have an accurate load with it at about 3050fps. Would like to use it on whitetails, and would appreciate your thoughts.

I have no doubt it kill them. My concern is this: where I hunt the deer are never more that a step or two from very thick, thorny, brush. So a death run of 100 or even 30-40 yards can be problematic. Consequently, I prefer a high shoulder shot, DRT.

Any thoughts/concerns as to whether a short (40-50yard) shot would result in insufficient penetration? Maybe a mono, or a115/117gr bullet would be a better choice?

thanks very much for your assistance!

That is basically the load I have settled on with my .257 Rbts. Running right at 3000 fps. It has been very effective for deer and antelope.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I did not know that the 100 grain Hornadys were now discontinued...bummer

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Nice collection! One comment I'll make is that some are Interlocks and some are pre-Interlocks. It generally doesn't make much difference when they hit game, because Hornady used a lead alloy for their cores even before Interlocks that was a little harder than most other companies used in cup-and-cores back then--one reason Hornady Spire Points had a reputation for holding together better back then than most other popular C&Cs. That said, the Interlock ring did improve 'em, in my experience.

You'll probably also find a little variation in dimensions in that collection, which may or may not affect the most accurate seating depth.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Fat gun writers appreciate bullets that work most of the time.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Nice collection! One comment I'll make is that some are Interlocks and some are pre-Interlocks. It generally doesn't make much difference when they hit game, because Hornady used a lead alloy for their cores even before Interlocks that was a little harder than most other companies used in cup-and-cores back then--one reason Hornady Spire Points had a reputation for holding together better back then than most other popular C&Cs. That said, the Interlock ring did improve 'em, in my experience.

You'll probably also find a little variation in dimensions in that collection, which may or may not affect the most accurate seating depth.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
When you find a particular Hornady bullet that works well you have to stockpile them because sure as hell Hornady bean counters will dump it. Mb
True dat...!

DF

So, I’m not the only one who is p.o.’d about Hornady being stoopid and dumping one of their best bullets ever!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
When you find a particular Hornady bullet that works well you have to stockpile them because sure as hell Hornady bean counters will dump it. Mb
True dat...!

DF

Brass too!! 450 Marlin, case and point

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Johnny
So, I’m not the only one who is p.o.’d about Hornady being stoopid and dumping one of their best bullets ever!

I stockpiled the 120gr HP for my .25-06. They were Joyce Hornady's choice for the .257 Weatherby he favored. They are tougher than the lead tipped bullets and very effective.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Thank-you.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
My old Mod 70 likes the Hornady 117 BT OK. Not real obvious, but that's 5 shots @ 100 yards.

Not bad...

No telling how well it would shoot with a real rifleman...!

Ha!

Good, nonetheless.

DF

You guys are hilarious. Looks like he let his buddy "Bob" shoot that group...
Yeah, looks like ole Bob is a pretty good marksman.

DF

Hell yes..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BigNate
Originally Posted by Johnny

I stockpiled the 120gr HP for my .25-06. They were Joyce Hornady's choice for the .257 Weatherby he favored. They are tougher than the lead tipped bullets and very effective.

Those suckers shoot pretty good too. My 25-06 also loves them. It's too bad about Hornady discontinuing good bullets. Best to be stocked up, then be prepared to maybe try something different, when you can't find your favorite.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.