Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When they started putting fat chicks in the swimsuit edition, you knew it was over.

Where have you gone Cheryl Teigs?

Sports Illustrated’s entire staff told they are getting laid off

It is a dark day for sports journalism.

The Arena Group alerted all Sports Illustrated staffers on Friday that their positions were being eliminated.

Richard Deitsch, a sports media reporter who left Sports Illustrated for the Athletic, posted on X the email that all employees received.

“Some employees will be terminated immediately, and paid in lieu of the applicable notice period under the [union contract],” the notice read. “Employees with a last working day of today will be contacted by the People team soon. Other employees will be expected to work through the end of the notice period, and will receive additional information shortly.”

The decision comes after the Authentic Brands Group, the licensing group that bought Sports Illustrated for $110 million from Meredith five years ago, terminated the agreement it holds with The Arena Group to publish the magazine in print and digital, per Front Office Sports.

The Sports Illustrated Union said it was calling upon Authentic to “ensure the continued publication of SI” in a statement following the announcement.

“We have fought together as a union to maintain the standard of this storied publication that we love, and to make sure our workers are treated fairly for the value they bring to this company. It is a fight we will continue,” Mitch Goldich, NFL editor and unit chair of the union, wrote.

The Arena Group missed a $2.8 million payment that breached the company’s Sports Illustrated licensing deal three weeks ago.

It is unclear whether ABG will establish a new operator or allow The Arena Group to renegotiate its current deal.

The magazine, first published in 1954, was owned by Time Inc. until 2018.

Its iconic covers pictured the seminal moments in sports history, from the “Miracle on Ice” in 1980 to dubbing a 17-year-old high schooler named LeBron James “The Chosen One” in 2002.

Michael Jordan was the outlet’s most pictured cover athlete — appearing on the magazine front 50 times.

Long considered a standard of excellence in sports journalism, it employed legendary sports writers like Frank Deford, Dan Jenkins, Peter Gammons, Sally Jenkins, Leigh Montville and Jim Murray.

“Very sad for my Sports Illustrated friends today, and for all of us who loved everything it used to be,” Rachel Nichols wrote in a post on X.

“A Sports Illustrated cover was, for decades, the number one starmaking vehicle in sports,” ESPN’s Kevin Clark added in a post. “It was what Carson was for a comedian or SNL was for a band. *Sports* is worse off without those things. That things got this bad this quickly is unfathomable and totally avoidable.”

In November, the magazine came under fire when it scrubbed its site of AI-generated content that included bylines and photos of fake authors, per a report from Futurism.

Just weeks after that, The Arena Group fired CEO Ross Levinsohn, who had served in the role since 2020.

In December, a spokesperson for Manoj Bhargava, the founder of the caffeine brand 5-Hour Energy and a majority investor in The Arena Group who joined the company as chairman interim CEO, told The Post that Levinsohn’s firing had nothing to do with the AI debacle in November.

Michael Jordan
Michael Jordan was the athlete most frequently pictured on the cover.

The spokesman said The Arena Group is “taking steps to ensure that” SI has gotten rid of the AI-generated content on its website.

“We are very, very tuned into the importance of this issue,” the spokesman told The Post.

Though Bhargava took over as interim CEO of The Arena Group on Dec. 11, he stepped down on Jan. 5, citing a “conflict of interest,” according to an SEC filing.

Jason Frankl of FTI Consulting was appointed as Arena’s chief business transformation officer on the day Bhargava stepped down.

Arena also fired more than 100 employees on Thursday across its organization.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another casualty of the internet.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the 2023 swimsuit edition, they chose a transgender biological male for one of the covers.
In 2022, they chose a dangerously obese woman, and today they are enjoying 100% layoffs.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh noes! Whatever will sportsball people do now? Especially without illustrations!

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Get woke, go broke.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another object lesson in 'go woke, go broke'.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Stupid sum bitches, what they think was gonna happen???

Last edited by hanco; 01/19/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot

Yup

Back before the interwebs used to look forward to getting it in the mail

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Trying to think of something I’m going to miss. Can’t seem to come up with anything.
Buh bye.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Stupid sum bitches, what they think was gonna happen???
Because of?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! I love it when LIBs screw the pooch.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Way back when, in the caveman days, Mom had her choice of a couple free magazine subscriptions.

She ordered SI thinking she was getting Sports Afield. My oh my, my brother and I were very disappointed.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
A mag featuring chicks with dicks? What could go wrong?

Yours in Liberty,

BL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Get woke, go broke.
The bottom line ^^^

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well bye. No sweat off my balls. Good riddance. Stupid fuqs.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Always liked this cover. Check out Csonka's finger
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by centershot

Yep

Who buys paper anymore short of ZigZag

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
Check out Csonka's finger

Kiick's might be more amusing.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
SI used to feature hunting and fishing many moons ago. Just FYI.

Last edited by Winchester21; 01/19/24.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lol. Good riddance, wokesters. Thanks for burning it to the ground before you left.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 33 invisible), 14,330 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,227
Posts18,543,941
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.