Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The thread about what you used to take your first deer was interesting, and has some photos. But thought it would also be interesting to see us.

This is my first deer, a muley doe taken with my father's Marlin .30-30. The photo was taken by Norman Strung, the well-known outdoor writer who passed away in 1991--a friend of my father, and one of my major mentors in the writing business.

(For those interested, black and white film was the standard back then, except for a few bigger magazines. This was taken with a twin-lens Rollieflex--back then considered a top professional camera.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Didn't have a camera back when I took my first buck back in the 50s.

Texas bred and born
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Photo of a photo from my Mom’s scrapbook. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fork by spoon whitetail buck from SWOK. Shot him and my next two bucks with my Great Grandfather’s Remington 760 chambered in 244. Oddly enough all three of the little bucks I shot with that rifle weighed 97lb dressed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Congratulations…….I’m envious!

I was 11 yo by 10 days. Killed a small racked 4x4 Whitetail when hunting with my grandfather. No photos were taken, thankfully I still have that little rack. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I probably posted this in the other thread, but hey, it was a proud moment. I was 13. About a 200ish yard shot across a hollow in a snow storm. Still remember it like yesterday.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like you blew the back legs off John. Good Job/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My very first deer was an unlucky blacktail doe that I whacked with a borrowed 30-30 Win M94.
The 2nd was a husky 3pt with a sporterized Springfield 30-06. But no one ever carried a camera back then.

So all I can offer up is deer #3, a dinky little forked horn.

It's maybe more important that the first two deer anyway, as it was on a hunt where my brother and I camped under a tarp in the back of my pickup truck and hunted totally on our own. It was in the Cascade mountains near Howard Prairie Lake in southern Oregon.

Win M88 in .284 and my own handloaded 130gr Speer Hot Core bullet. I'm 16 years old in the photo.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My first deer was taken with a Smith and Wesson Model 1500, 7mm Rem Mag.
Maybe 1984 or 1985

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have no idea where the pic of my first deer is. I'd have to dig through the photo albums at my parents.

My son got this first deer this year.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Cool pics.

Not real sure but I believe there are only pictures of 4 and maybe 5 deer that I have killed. Rare there was a camera and if there was we generally never worried too much about taking pictures. Same with turkeys. I think there may be 3 pictures of me with a gobbler.

At times I wish we had taken more.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keystoneben
I have no idea where the pic of my first deer is. I'd have to dig through the photo albums at my parents.

That kid couldn't get any bigger grin if he tried.

Good stuffs right there!👍🏻👍🏻

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by keystoneben

That kid couldn't get any bigger grin if he tried.

Good stuffs right there!👍🏻👍🏻

Haha. Agreed!

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 10at6
Looks like you blew the back legs off John. Good Job/

Nope!

Spotted the deer's wide-spread ears early in the morning amid the juniper/ponderosa above us, while Norm drove his Dodge Power Wagon up the road in the bottom of a sagebrush draw. Told him to stop, and I eased up through the timber. The deer had bedded by then, and when it stood up about 40 feet away, quartering toward me, I put the crosshairs of the 4x scope on the base of the neck, and it dropped right there. The bullet broke the spine.

The photo was taken after field-dressing the deer, which Norm supervised. This was partly because the light when I shot was too dim for the camera and film--but it was also because both of us wanted the meat to cool as soon as possible. Which is why the hindquarters look like that.

It's still one of the biggest muley does I've taken...and even today I kind of specialize in big muley does.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The thread about what you used to take your first deer was interesting, and has some photos. But thought it would also be interesting to see us.

This is my first deer, a muley doe taken with my father's Marlin .30-30. The photo was taken by Norman Strung, the well-known outdoor writer who passed away in 1991--a friend of my father, and one of my major mentors in the writing business.

(For those interested, black and white film was the standard back then, except for a few bigger magazines. This was taken with a twin-lens Rollieflex--back then considered a top professional camera.

[Linked Image]

I regret to say any pics of my first few deer or antelope are long lost...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great thread MD. Dad took me mule deer hunting in 1971 in the Trans Pecos region of West Texas when I was 11 yrs old. I've been hooked ever since.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

This was my second buck. I'll have to dig for a picture of my first.

My brother had killed his early. It was a real wall hanger in those days. I believe I had spooked this buck earlier in the day. Amid a snowstorm again, he came out of a cutover thicket just before dark. The old .300wm did it's work. My grandfather had a buddy hunting with us who was none too happy for fear of getting snowed in. I hadn't given it any thought....

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Me with my nephew when he got his first deer. Oh, yeah, he used my .30-30 Marlin that I then gave him. One of my best days....

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't have a picture of my first deer which I took at the age of 9. I grew up in CO and back then you couldn't hunt big game until you were 14. Both my father and grandfather thought that was a dumb law so at the age of 9 I took a mulie buck on my grandfather's tag with a Win Model 1894 in 30-30. The statute of limitiation has long run out and my grandfather is long dead. The first buck I took on my own license was when I was 14 and it was a fork horn mulie I shot with a 7mm Rem Mag.
Not the best picture but this was in 1976 and we didn't have digital cameras back then and the old Polaroid photo is deteriorating. The next year I took my first bull elk, a spike bull, with the same rifle. This was 1977 and spikes were legal game in CO back then.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They didn’t have photographs when I killed my first

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My first deer was an antelope. Wyoming 1962.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's too bad!

I might have to do a little search among the photos on my computer, but know I have photos of my first mature WT and MD bucks somewhere.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have my first little rack, will take a pic of it tomorrow

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Killed my first deer at 17 in 1965. Taking pictures of deer was just not something we ever did, which was funny because my father was quite accomplished as an amateur photographer. I don’t recall ever being photographed with a deer until I killed a real trophy 10 point WT buck around 1986 or 87.

Mathew 22: 37-39

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My first was this little spike from west Texas. Shot him at 210 “yards” (steps 🤣) with a R788 in 22-250. I realized about half way along our 5-hour trip to the deer lease that I forgot my boots, so I had to hunt in my baseball cleats.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Funny you should mention your choice in footwear. For reasons only known to a 10 year old, I killed my first gobbler while wearing a pair of baseball cleats. 🤷🏼‍♂️

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great thread MD. Dad took me mule deer hunting in 1971 in the Trans Pecos region of West Texas when I was 11 yrs old. I've been hooked ever since.

Very cool photo!

While photography wasn't as easy back then as digital is today, it's good to see some "period" photos....

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Southern AZ Coues 1980. No camera available until back in town. Happy but tired...

[Linked Image]

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Somewhere I have a photo of my first. I remember Norm very well. Tried to buy the magazines for the stories he wrote. I didn't know he passed that young.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rem 870 12 ga

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

8 year old me. With childhood friend from the neighborhood. Old deer dog named April.
Killed running dogs in Bunnell, Fl
Ithaca model 37 20 gauge

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Flhoundhunter28,

Cool photo!

It's always interesting to me how many folks used shotguns on their first deer--and many probably still do, despite newer regulations that allow specific rifle rounds in some areas.

Of course, I was born and raised in Montana, but in recent years some public areas near towns don't allow rifles. My wife especially has used shotguns to take not just deer but a young cow moose. I've also used them some in other places, such as British Columbia to take my biggest black bear, and in Iowa to take a whitetail buck....

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Flhoundhunter28,

Cool photo!

It's always interesting to me how many folks used shotguns on their first deer--and many probably still do, despite newer regulations that allow specific rifle rounds in some areas.

Of course, I was born and raised in Montana, but in recent years some public areas near towns don't allow rifles. My wife especially has used shotguns to take not just deer but a young cow moose. I've also used them some in other places, such as British Columbia to take my biggest black bear, and in Iowa to take a whitetail buck....

Yeah, we had to use shotguns up until 3 years ago. They legalized straight wall rifles and I hope I never have to shoot another 12ga slug for the rest of my life.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My son's first deer when he was 11. Rem 870 20ga Junior Model.

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
No pictures of my first deer. It was 1978 and I was 17 and had a '70 Camaro RS. I was by myself and I shot it late in the day. After dragging it out, I loaded it in the trunk of my car and headed off to the local country store to check it in. Man, I was on cloud 9. When I finally got home, it was pretty late. My parents were worried about me and my old man was pissed. My father only hunted geese and had never been deer hunting. I told them I shot a deer, so we go out and pull the doe from my trunk to hang it in a tree. There was about 1" of blood in the bottom of my trunk. So my old man blows a gasket and proceeds to give me a rash of schit for getting blood in the bottom of MY trunk. Man, he really knocked the wind out of my sails that day. Don't get me wrong, the old man was a great guy, but he had a bit of a temper and was pretty strict with us kids. I think it all started because I was 2 hours late getting home and they were worried. I cleaned the blood out and it was all good. So, no pictures, just a rash of schit.

Ronald Reagan
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
It's a region thing for sure. Just about every kid you pass standing on a dog box next to his dad is carrying a shotgun to this day including my own son.
Graduate them to a rifle when they are 13-14 years old. No laws that say they have to it's just the way it is

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fall of 1975 from the original home place of my father's family in Arkansas. I used the Remington 742 that belonged to my uncle. No camera in deer camp. The photo was taken the minute I got home by my proud mother. And yes-those are the clothes I wore that day minus the rubber boots and oversized coat.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not my first deer, but first branch antlered buck (and first picture I have with a deer. 17 years old senior in high school.

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Great buck Cheesy!!

Here’s mine, 16 years old in 1996. I’d never been around deer hunting but wanted to give it a try. I borrowed a boat paddle Ruger 30-06 from a friend and my older brother helped me pick a spot to sit. I shot this guy about 10 minutes after sunrise at 30 yards. I took it by the high school ag department to show it off and ended up getting by butt chewed by the principal for not being in class. Also stopped by the gas station/coffee shop in town. The new owner there offered to help me gut the buck, followed me home and took this picture. That guy ended up dating and then marrying my mom. He’s still my stepdad 27 years later.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by crc1514
Great buck Cheesy!!

Here’s mine, 16 years old in 1996. I’d never been around deer hunting but wanted to give it a try. I borrowed a boat paddle Ruger 30-06 from a friend and my older brother helped me pick a spot to sit. I shot this guy about 10 minutes after sunrise at 30 yards. I took it by the high school ag department to show it off and ended up getting by butt chewed by the principal for not being in class. Also stopped by the gas station/coffee shop in town. The new owner there offered to help me gut the buck, followed me home and took this picture. That guy ended up dating and then marrying my mom. He’s still my stepdad 27 years later.

That's crazy

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

My son with his first deer
6 years old
H&R .243

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My boys and their first bucks - Applegate country blacktail.
Top pic deer taken with a Browning micro medallion in .223. Bottom buck with SAKO .243.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by crc1514
Great buck Cheesy!!

That’s a great story and an awesome deer. I love it!

Last edited by bearded_hillbilly; 01/24/24.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
My boys and their first bucks - Applegate country blacktail.
Top pic deer taken with a Browning micro medallion in .223. Bottom buck with SAKO .243.

Great pictures! That lower blacktail is very nice with a cool rifle as well! Great pictures of the boys!

Semper Fi
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
[/quote] Great pictures! That lower blacktail is very nice with a cool rifle as well! Great pictures of the boys![/quote]

I second that! Love a Sako and a mannlicher on top of that

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nothing here. This first picture taken was in 1995 with my first elk.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
From the early to mid 60s until about 1998 I never had a single picture of any animal I ever hunted or killed. Our family didn't own a camera at all until the late 70s, and I never took it on any trips anywhere.
To this day I have very few pictures of myself (or anything dealing with me,) from about 1979 back to the mid 50 and -------------- probably only 10 pictures of me from 1979 to this day.

As I age, not ever having a camera (or having one with me) is now something I have some regrets over--------- but it's too late to change that now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by szihn
From the early to mid 60s until about 1998 I never had a single picture of any animal I ever hunted or killed. Our family didn't own a camera at all until the late 70s, and I never took it on any trips anywhere.
To this day I have very few pictures of myself (or anything dealing with me,) from about 1979 back to the mid 50 and -------------- probably only 10 pictures of me from 1979 to this day.

As I age, not ever having a camera (or having one with me) is now something I have some regrets over--------- but it's too late to change that now.

Never too late buddy!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Sure wish I had one smirk

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
1987 PA archery season

Attached Images
img_1_1706195687938-3.jpg (39.59 KB, 323 downloads)
Last edited by moosemike; 01/25/24.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Real high-class photography, lol...this would have been in 1995 I believe about 10 miles south of Canton, Texas. There wasn't a ton of deer around the area in those years. An acquaintance from school invited me to sit in a tree with him one evening and this deer stepped out shortly after that. I was so excited I drove the five miles home with the parking brake on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably around 1974 or 1975. My first deer, a blacktail doe taken along the southern Oregon coast. Rifle was my dad's Remington model 600 in 6.5 Rem Mag, as I recall it was a handful to shoot as a new hunter grin

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Probably around 1974 or 1975. My first deer, a blacktail doe taken along the southern Oregon coast. Rifle was my dad's Remington model 600 in 6.5 Rem Mag, as I recall it was a handful to shoot as a new hunter grin

That is a GREAT picture.. Man, what a scene!

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

That is a GREAT picture.. Man, what a scene!
Thanks - the orange VW bus in the background sure was a great rig. My dad put some bigger tires on that thing and we sure could get into places you never think a VW could drive into. Lots of great memories from back then.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My father had a pretty similar VW bus when I started hunting. It got around pretty well in southwestern Montana with bigger mud-snow tires, with that engine in the rear and good clearance. It wasn't a real off-read rig, but never got stuck!

Relatively few 4WD vehicles were around in those days, mostly Jeeps (the majority WWII surplus) and some Dodge Power Wagons--which was what my mentor Norm was driving when I got my first deer.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SS336

That tends to happen in the west!

My wife Eileen's first "deer" was a pronghorn buck as well, taken at around 200 yards in 1984. She didn't get her first deer, a whitetail doe, until the next fall.

[Linked Image]

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
1985, 10 yo, 5 miles from my current locale, Ruger 77 6mm, 3-9 Burris, 87 gr Hornady. 19” outside, took several years to top it. Amazing experience, much thanks to my old man.👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I would post a picture but cameras hadn't been invented yet. There is a cave drawing somewhere that my artist friend Thag did. Deer had fangs back then....

Golden............
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SS336

That tends to happen in the west!

My wife Eileen's first "deer" was a pronghorn buck as well, taken at around 200 yards in 1984. She didn't get her first deer, a whitetail doe, until the next fall.

[Linked Image]

👍 very true, my younger brothers first “deer” was an antelope the next year. 😎
Eileen’s goat looks to be a very nice one with those ivory points.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Taken November 1989 in Marion Co, WV on a family friends farm. I shot this 5 point with my dad’s pre-64 model 70 in 243. The shot was about 60 yards. It was pretty much a bang, flop. I was also wearing my dad’s old buffalo plaid wool suit. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Very cool! Including you dad's plaid wool....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This was 1984-85 circa with a bow.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That was Sunday, November 22 1987. I was hunting a friend’s family’s property in Pierrepont NY, the guy on the far right holding the tenderloins away from Snoop. His father, and the four of us kids, made a series of small drives on the property that morning. It was too cold to do much sitting, around 10 degrees if I remember correctly. I was a stander on a good runway and the drive worked perfectly. A group of 3 or 4 does along with this awesome 7 point came charging right past me. I made a perfect double lung shot on the running buck at about 30 yards with my trusty little Model 94 Trapper .30-30.
Back in those days, deer populations were much lower than today, and almost any buck was hard earned, especially when you were a kid and really didn’t know what you were doing! I look at that photo and think how many miles we walked in everyday clothes and leaky work boots. I wouldn’t trade a minute of it for anything in the world.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Great story and photo! Especially love the dog looking at the tenderloins....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Theres only one picture of my 1st buck with me in the pic and I dont have a clue where its at. My sister thinks my mom has it. But I have this one which mom took as soon as me and my dad made it back from "camp". It was 1993, I was 23. To this day I cant believe it took me from 12-23 to kill a buck smile But dad and my uncles just took us out in the mountain and said sit here, good luck. We never really scouted, just where ever you saw deer one time is where you went. Shot couple doe, but that started to be frowned upon, doe really outnumbered buck then. Doe werent pic worthy I guess, cause none of my cousins have pics of their 1st does either.

I put camp in quotes cause we didnt have our own camp yet, and my uncle Eddy's camp was full. So my old man bought a beat up Winnebago....I gotta take a 2nd to see if I can find a pic of that smile

There it is lol. Bought it that summer and the roof leaked so my old man fixed that. Had some issues with the 413, fixed that. New tires, all kinda stuff. Its funny thinkin back now. On the way to "camp" the fuel pump went bad and left us sit right at Lock Haven college just past the light to Renovo. I was behind him in the Wagoneer so dad jumped in that and headed to the auto parts store and he grabbed some tubing, wire and an electric pump and he plumbed it up and strapped it to the frame. Hey...it worked and got us where we needed to go lol.

We parked at a little pull off right near the swamp, bout a mile from where camp...well house, where dad lives now. Wrapped some plastic tarps 'round some trees, put a bucket with seat in there for a toilet and we were set.

Opening morning me and my cousin drove dads old Wagoneer up to the top of the mountain. We walked the whole way out this gas line. I had my 1st and only rifle with me, 336 marlin in 35 rem. Still got it, if I remember right its a 1957 or '58. Anyhow, we get out as far as we could go on the gas line before it dropped off again and walked up the mountain to a bench. I sat down by a tree and my cousin walked about 50 yards to my left and sat down. Wasnt there an hour and here come a doe with this buck behind her. I pulled up and shot! He ran off and I ran over to my cousin. I said lets go see if we got blood. He said what? I said didnt you hear me shoot?? I just shot a nice buck! He said he didnt hear anything. I think he fell asleep lol.

We looked and couldnt find hair, blood...nothin. It was about 9:30 now, so I said its cold, lets go back to camp and get some lunch and then get back out here before the other hunters leave for lunch, theyll surely push something out. So we did just that. When we got back to camp dad was there and I told him the story. He said the scope must be off, here, take my 6mm. Dad just bought that before the trip. It was a remington 600 6mm with vented rib. Never shot the gun myself so wasnt sure I could hit anything, but I didnt have faith in the 35 after missing that buck. It was probably me, but why chance it?

So off me and cousin went back out to the same spot. The temp dropped 20 degrees and its a helluva walk out that gas line. We finally get out there and start up to the bench. My cousin Bobby was in front of me and we got to the laurel he yelled HORNS!! I looked up and that same buck was facing us then took off to our left. I pulled the 6mm up and BANG!! The buck went down! And my cousin started runnin toward it. I yelled for him to stop, the buck was still kickin his back legs and told him I gotta finish him off. So I pulled up again and shot him in the chest finishing him off. At the time I didnt think about how much meat I was ruining I just knew to finish him so he wouldnt get back up and run off. When we gutted it we saw he wasnt gonna get back up. I hit him in the hind quarter and the bullet drove up and along his spine just short of his neck.

I was so shook up I couldnt gut him lol. My cousin never gutted one so I talked him through it while I smoked half a pack of cigarettes lol. Soon as he started gutting him it started snowing. Finished gutting and it was really snowing now. I was afraid we wouldnt be able to drag that buck back up to the Jeep.

Red arrow is where I shot him, yellow is as far as we could drag him. By this time it was almost 4 inches of snow on the ground. I asked cousin if I should try to bring the Jeep down that mountain. We both looked up and there was a smaller vehicle parked beside dads Jeep. I said im goin for the Jeep, if anything happens those guys will help us. I get up there and its 2 old men in a 40 some model Willys, they had a rifle I never saw before on a bench that the top swiveled. Said they were long range huntin. I never heard of that before, but by the looks of their spotting scope and the barrel length on that rifle it looked like they done this before lol Just lookin at it it looked like it weighed a ton.

The one older guy said we been watchin you young men drag that deer and wonderin how far youd get. Looks to be a nice one. I said thanks, but we cant drag it any farther so im gonna try to drive down and load it up, but im scared we aint gonna be able to make it back up the gas line. He said no worry, we got a winch we can get ya up. Hey boy, when ya get back up here stop, we'd like to get a look at that buck. I said sure thing, thanks! Jumped in dads Jeep, and went to put it in 4 low. I knew how to do that in his old Wagoneer, but this one didnt have a shifter. Then I remembered dad said this was fulltime 4wd and the "shifter" was a knob in the glovebox. So I opened the glovebox and turned the knob. Off I went.

I slid the whole way down that damn gas line, ass cheeks clinched!! Got down to Bobby and he said I thought you were gonna slide right on past me! LOL! So we opened the back and put the buck inside. I said you ready for this? Bobby said im ready. And I floored that sucker!! We were spinning like hell!! Dumb as hell, but I was scared we wouldnt make it. But sob we sure did! And I was so pumped about making it up that hill when we got to the top I forgot to stop and show those old guys my buck like they asked, just waived and kept goin. I still regret that. Hate to think what they were sayin about me.

We got down to the bottom of the mountain and looked across the hard road up the other side of the gas line. I told Bobby thats dad, lets go show him. He said that aint yur dad. One way to find out, so we drove up. And sure as hell it was. I stopped short 200 yards or so and yelled up I got that buck dad!!! He yelled back oh yur full of schit.....something he'd say many more times throughout life when id get something, he'd always say it, oh yur full of schit LOL. I said no im serious we got him stuffed in the back. He said if you got that buck you can have that 6mm. I yelled DEAL!! He said I was full of schit 3 more times til he got about 40ft away and he could see the horns stickin up, HUGE smile on his face! I think his smile beat mine that day! He said well deals a deal, guess you got a buck and a new rifle and patted me on the back.

He jumped in and we drove over to Eddy's camp to show off and brag. Eddy and them were already done for the day and sitting around drinking. Think they all tied a big one on that night!! LOL.

I said many times before on here about that 6mm. My dad loved that gun, and unfortunately I had to sell it when I left an ex of mine. Dad was pissed but understood. Later he bought 2 more 6mm's, Winchester featherweights. He had to sell one when him and mom got divorced. The other featherweight he hunted for years. I always teased him about that one and he said there aint no way I get that one after I sold that 1st 6mm. But you know how dads are. Eventually he ended up givin his favorite featherweight to me. Still got THAT 6mm, and ill be damned but ill die before that leaves my possession.

Sorry I rambled as much, but that hunt was one of my favorites, for many reason. Take care now.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
What a great story.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flashdog
What a great story.

Glad you enjoyed smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know I gotta add somethin here. When I shot that buck it took 4 of us to lift him up on that Jeep. It was a 4hour drive home. Didnt matter if it was in a small town or on the highway comin down RT 15, everybody and I mean EVERYBODY beeped and waved, kids just stared with smiles. Today its almost "expected" that you cover your animal for fear of offending someone. Damn shame what its come to. For the record, its been 3 years since I got a buck, but to this day I still proudly display my animal. If it offends someone, so be it. I have a right to be proud and ill be damned if ill bend just to appease a bunch of pussies. End rant.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

I regret to say any pics of my first few deer or antelope are long lost...
No poobs, they are still on the wall of the cave where you drew them as an adolescent.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
good story Hick, I enjoyed it

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
good story Hick, I enjoyed it

👍

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My family didn't own a camera then. I bet I didn't get a picture of any game I ever killed until I was in my mid 20s and I was killing deer at about 8 years old.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Like szihn no pictures . Fact is I took the first deer picture I ever took last season. Never been big on taking pictures of dead stuff.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I never took a photo of my very first buck. I was so excited to shoot the buck it didn't occur to me to take photos frown

The deer was a young 8 point.

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,517
Posts18,509,595
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.