Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Four Reasons I like/load them:

1. I have always been able to find them In Stock!

2. You can order a 15 pack to Sample.!

3. They don't seem to care about C.O.A.L.!

4. They are very accurate!

I've never shot a head of Game with them yet, always seemed to of had a different rifle/load with me when I did. But give time! smile

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bluefish
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
I used the .308 154 gr. HHT’s this past deer season in my 308. Load development was easy. I loaded up 14 rounds and had a .179” MOA 3 shot group before I shot them all. I watched 19 deer and 3 coyotes die this past deer season. Terminal performance was very impressive. Most were DRT and the ones that did run ran less than 35 yards with excellent blood trails. I live in the southeast so most of my shots are under 300 yards so I have no experience shooting them long range. I just ordered some HHT’s for my 6.5 CM to try next season.

You shot 19 deer this season?

I shot 15 and my boys shot the others. We shot a couple of more deer as well but used Barnes.

You ain't about that life.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Funny timing on this thread DF, i hadn't saw it when we were texting about hammer bullets last week, did want to send you some pics of what they can do, Riflecrank is the real driving force behind the 458 cal 404 Hammer bullet, and the very reason it was built in the first place, i was just the first guy that already had a safari in the works, found the old bull and took him, yes, everyone around there was afraid of that bull, he was mean anyway, and growing meaner each day due to some guy that prior April taking a hail mary shot at a running Wildebeest bull, he hit the old Cape Buff in the brisket, 400gr ceb raptor shed it petals, shank of the bullet ranged down and back and was recovered in this old bulls flank.

He was getting more pissed off with every step, glad he's out of his misery and will be shortly headed for a farm in Oklahoma.

Yes these bullets are expensive, but, my hat is off for any bullet maunfacture busting their asses keeping bullets IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP to us and not jacking the dog sending their components to uncle sugar gravy and ammo companies leaving us with green loading blocks full of sized, primed and powdered cases waiting on a fkn bullet!

Amen... The couple of bucks I use up a year in hunting bullets likely won't put me under. I can use other stuff to punch paper.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
I’ll say!

He does this all the time PF... You just have to wait a little bit till he has the load nailed down, then we can copy him.. grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Funny timing on this thread DF, i hadn't saw it when we were texting about hammer bullets last week, did want to send you some pics of what they can do, Riflecrank is the real driving force behind the 458 cal 404 Hammer bullet, and the very reason it was built in the first place, i was just the first guy that already had a safari in the works, found the old bull and took him, yes, everyone around there was afraid of that bull, he was mean anyway, and growing meaner each day due to some guy that prior April taking a hail mary shot at a running Wildebeest bull, he hit the old Cape Buff in the brisket, 400gr ceb raptor shed it petals, shank of the bullet ranged down and back and was recovered in this old bulls flank.

He was getting more pissed off with every step, glad he's out of his misery and will be shortly headed for a farm in Oklahoma.

Yes these bullets are expensive, but, my hat is off for any bullet maunfacture busting their asses keeping bullets IN STOCK AND READY TO SHIP to us and not jacking the dog sending their components to uncle sugar gravy and ammo companies leaving us with green loading blocks full of sized, primed and powdered cases waiting on a fkn bullet!

Amen... The couple of bucks I use up a year in hunting bullets likely won't put me under. I can use other stuff to punch paper.

The cost of the Hammers sure seems to bring out the detractors, eh? laugh

Meanwhile, one of the campfire's beloved bullets - now the same cost-per-50 as many of the Hammers.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane

Meanwhile, one of the campfire's beloved bullets - now the same cost-per-50 as many of the Hammers.

I don't get it. Must be the newness of them Scott. I'm not sure if many have seen the price for a box of Partitions lately either.. I know others than really hammer on a single rifle, but for most of the serious ones, if they get shot a 100X a year, I am having a good year. I tend to beat on the 223's and cheap stuff if I am shooting a bunch, but for the cost of a box or two of bullets to hunt, compared to the cost of filling up my 55 gallon tank on my truck, they seem like a bargain grin

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hammer bullets in my handloads have been very accurate as long as you use the right Hammer bullet for the twist in your barrel . my 257 Weatherby mag with the 103 gr. Hammer Hunter bullets at 3680 FPS average shoots under 3/4 inch 3 shot groups and really does kill bigger bucks well or DRT , i also shot a antelope buck at a measured 460 yards 1 shot DRT . Grandson used a 257 Roberts with 75 gr. Hammer Hunter this year shot a doe 80 yards DRT. in my 22 K-hornet rifle i use 33 gr. Shock Hammer bullets they have a big hollow point, accurate and for the last 2 years i have killed 40 - 50 Kritters like raccoons ,possum , stray cats ,woodchucks some other Kritters too most lay there or DRT . i don`t think thes Hammer bullet are that expensive either for a accurate bullet that preforms so well , besides Hammer bullets are always in stock too. i was at the Weatherby factory a year ago they told me they were very excited to sell their Weatherby ammo with Hammer bullets too. i still like and use lead core bullets too but to be honest these copper Hammer bullets and other copper brand bullets might be what we will be forced or only legal to use by our liberal bunny hugger Government to hunt with in the future. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 01/22/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Anyone shoot Hammer Hunters into ballistic gel? I've found a few petals that have broken off but never a bullet core.

Life is good live it while you can.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pete53
Hammer bullets in my handloads have been very accurate as long as you use the right Hammer bullet for the twist in your barrel . my 257 Weatherby mag with the 103 gr. Hammer Hunter bullets at 3680 FPS average shoots under 3/4 inch 3 shot groups and really does kill bigger bucks well or DRT , i also shot a antelope buck at a measured 460 yards 1 shot DRT . Grandson used a 257 Roberts with 75 gr. Hammer Hunter this year shot a doe 80 yards DRT. in my 22 K-hornet rifle i use 33 gr. Shock Hammer bullets they have a big hollow point, accurate and for the last 2 years i have killed 40 - 50 Kritters like raccoons ,possum , stray cats ,woodchucks some other Kritters too most lay there or DRT . i don`t think this bullet is that expensive either for a accurate bullet that preforms so well. i was at the Weatherby factory a year ago they told me they were very excited to sell their Weatherby ammo with Hammer bullets too. i still like and use lead core bullets too but to be honest these copper Hammer bullets and other copper brand bullets might be what we will be forced or only legal to use by our liberal bunny hugger Government to hunt with in the future. Pete53
Where in the body are you shooting the animals you kill?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I, personally, just do not see the need to leave the Barnes bullets given my experience with the on all manner of game in a number of chamberings. Availability is not an issue for me as I have hundreds in the diameters I use, have loads developed for a multitude of rifles and leave it at that. A couple of weeks ago I took my M70 375 H&H for sight in due to a scope/mount swap. Dialed in dead on at 100 yards in six shots. I'll head out again once the weather permits to help prove to me the Trijicon is good to go.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by pete53
Hammer bullets in my handloads have been very accurate as long as you use the right Hammer bullet for the twist in your barrel . my 257 Weatherby mag with the 103 gr. Hammer Hunter bullets at 3680 FPS average shoots under 3/4 inch 3 shot groups and really does kill bigger bucks well or DRT , i also shot a antelope buck at a measured 460 yards 1 shot DRT . Grandson used a 257 Roberts with 75 gr. Hammer Hunter this year shot a doe 80 yards DRT. in my 22 K-hornet rifle i use 33 gr. Shock Hammer bullets they have a big hollow point, accurate and for the last 2 years i have killed 40 - 50 Kritters like raccoons ,possum , stray cats ,woodchucks some other Kritters too most lay there or DRT . i don`t think this bullet is that expensive either for a accurate bullet that preforms so well. i was at the Weatherby factory a year ago they told me they were very excited to sell their Weatherby ammo with Hammer bullets too. i still like and use lead core bullets too but to be honest these copper Hammer bullets and other copper brand bullets might be what we will be forced or only legal to use by our liberal bunny hugger Government to hunt with in the future. Pete53
Where in the body are you shooting the animals you kill?

high shoulder neck area kills chit quickly but the antelope was a heart shot and lopers die easy , grandson`s was center lungs and that did surprise me it died so quickly but it did go thru back side shoulder. my 257 Weatherby mag. does DRT on bigger bucks under 250 yards even with 1OO gr. Nosler Partitions or Swift A-Frames but the Hammer 103 gr. bullet is a more accurate bullet too for me.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EdM
I, personally, just do not see the need to leave the Barnes bullets given my experience with the on all manner of game in a number of chamberings. Availability is not an issue for me as I have hundreds in the diameters I use, have loads developed for a multitude of rifles and leave it at that. A couple of weeks ago I took my M70 375 H&H for sight in due to a scope/mount swap. Dialed in dead on at 100 yards in six shots. I'll head out again once the weather permits to help prove to me the Trijicon is good to go.

Ed, I don't think anyone is stopping from using Barnes or the like, I think the Hammer's are just nice cause they are available. I still have a few loads that use Barnes and will keep using them, but having a solid option doesn't hurt either.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Anyone shoot Hammer Hunters into ballistic gel? I've found a few petals that have broken off but never a bullet core.

See YouTube. Plenty there even at 600 yards

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
92gr hammer hunter @3430 out of my 25/06

6 for 6 this year

4 deer/2 coyotes

Heart shot deer ran bout 30-40 yds

High shoulder shot deer DRT

Closest shot 100 yds / longest shot 305 yds

I’m a fan

Double_D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
A lot depends on the accuracy your looking for. Hammer Hunter bullets are very accurate and precisely made. I use mostly Barnes bullets for hunting because I'm not sold on the petals yet. But the accuracy of Barnes tipped bullets isn't like a target - match bullet.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I don't get it. Must be the newness of them Scott. I'm not sure if many have seen the price for a box of Partitions lately either.. I know others than really hammer on a single rifle, but for most of the serious ones, if they get shot a 100X a year, I am having a good year. I tend to beat on the 223's and cheap stuff if I am shooting a bunch, but for the cost of a box or two of bullets to hunt, compared to the cost of filling up my 55 gallon tank on my truck, they seem like a bargain grin

I'm with you men and EdM too, i'll never leave Barnes, they pretty much keep bullets in stock too, never say FU to us and supply uncle sugar with a billion rounds for usps and irs LMAO!

nosler has lost their way, if they somehow believe they're better than a Swift A Frame they have again picked the wrong week to stop huffing gold spray paint!

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I'm with you men and EdM too, i'll never leave Barnes, they pretty much keep bullets in stock too, never say FU to us and supply uncle sugar with a billion rounds for usps and irs LMAO!

nosler has lost their way, if they somehow believe they're better than a Swift A Frame they have again picked the wrong week to stop huffing gold spray paint!
My good bud, who goes to Africa on a regular basis, is a 7mm NAB 160 gr. advocate. I don't think I could ever convince him to try another, those work for him.

He shoots a 7RM Sendero, sorta heavy gun. But when asked why he packs around such a heavy gun, his reply, "I know what it'll do when I get it there". And, he has rooms of nice trophies as evidence.

The gun's a shooter, he's a shooter, nice combo to decorate a wall with stuffed heads.

I enjoy loading his ammo, enjoy Africa vicariously. I also enjoy hunting on his 2,000 acre property on the Red River.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No hijack, but I always loved/lived vicariously loading ammo for other people! I insist that they do a necropsy and give me details of the shot, permanent wound, exit size and whether bloodshot or not, ha. I have learned tremendously and I got to shoot all their rifles w/o buying them first! Whoopee! OK, back to Hammers...I have some for my 338/06 Imp, the 300WSM and the long Shilen barreled 7x57. ( I like adding that Shilen barreled", IOW, the rifle is "accurate"!) The very first accurate 7x57 of my life...

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/24/24.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I only left Barnes when they were unavailable for a couple of years due to Remington's bankruptcy. It was in this lull, along with Covid lockdown that got me into Hammer Bullets. Hammer went a different way in their construction. Somewhat like a Nosler Partition, only match accurate in my rifles. I still use Barnes exclusively in my 338 WM. Vor-Tx factory ammo in the 225 TTSX is a half- three-quarter inch in my gun, and I see no need to try and beat that in a magnum.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Jim, like you I enjoy loading for bud’s Africa adventures, vicariously enjoy his hunts.

I loaded ammo for his .416 Rem, sighted it on a standing bench. He whacked a nice Buff with a 400 gr SAF over 4064.

I had called Swift; Bill Hober answered the phone. We had a nice conversation. He gave me their factory ammo load data and that’s what I used.

I was impressed that the head guy answered the phone and was very generous with his proprietary load data.

Now, that’s CS at its best. I had loaded 400 gr NPT and SAF ammo. PH preferred the A-Frame and that’s what they used. I think the Partitions would have worked equally well. They were equally accurate.

DF

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

306 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 32 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,471
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.