Print Thread
Hop To
#19039261 12/23/23
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
What does the CS stand for? I'm a little new at all the different models so bear with me. I bought this rifle a few days ago from a local pawn shop. It is a JM rifle with micro groove barrel. I was smart enough to look for that. I read last night there is no CS model but a guy said sure as hell is and I agree cause I got one myself. Mines 35 Rem. I bought is for the caliber and I just like the rifle. I started hunting many many yers ago with a saddle ring Winchester and have always had a soft spot for the lever rifles.

P.S. If anyone has a set of 35 Remington dies, I would be interested.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What year is it?

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carbine standard

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe prior to 1984 they were designated 336C. In 1984 they added the CBS and made them the 336CS.

Does it have a cross bolt safety?

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I am pretty sure its an 89 model and does have the safety. Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Feral_American
I believe prior to 1984 they were designated 336C. In 1984 they added the CBS and made them the 336CS.

Does it have a cross bolt safety?
Now that I think about it you are exactly right

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pyscodog
I am pretty sure its an 89 model and does have the safety. Thanks!

Yep, the basic carbine with crossbolt safety.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I had been looking at a few Rossi's. Hey, reviews are pretty good from what I saw so I did consider one. Pretty much knew I was looking for a Marlin with a preference for a 35 Rem. I had an older one years ago and wanted to replace it someday. This one was on the rack along with another Marlin and a Winchester. I looked at the Winchester and it was rough. No blueing on the receiver at all. The safety isn't a problem on my Marlin other than I like the pre-safety version best. Metal is close to perfect, stocks got marks from usage but its not bad at all. Just a nice older Marlin. I like it and it should serve me well.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I found some loaded ammo in a pawn shop. Some old Silvertips and some Winchester Power points and some Remington Core locs. Only 7 Silvertips so I didn't shoot them but did shoot a few of the Winchester just to get on paper at 50yds. I did buy some Hornady Leverevolution 200 grain but at $69.69 plus tax I didn't use them for sighting in. Results were pretty disappointing with the old ammo. Probably 2" groups at 50yds. So, I decided to try the Hornady. First shot was low and right so I shot a 2nd, cut the first hole. So, I shot a 3rd and be damned if it didn't stack right on top of the other two making a nice clover leaf and all three touching. Now to 100yds. I shot three and they made a nice 1" group. The group was about 2" high and a little to the right so I made a scope adjustment and shot three more. Top of the bull with two touching and one just out and just barely under an inch but way better than I imagined it would shoot. I do believe I got a shooter. I may have paid top dollar but very pleased with the rifle. I found powder and got bullets coming so I hope to match Hornady's load. Strange, the bullets were all 200 grain and recoil from the old bullets was very mild. The LVR ammo had some recoil to them. After 9 rounds of the LVR my old shoulder was getting a little tender. I know, I'm a wuse.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a good one!

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I was very please with it. Triggers a little on the heavy side so I may see what can be done with it but its usable, just heavy.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
The fore-end of my rifle had a sling swivel in the wood. Of course it pulled out. Why someone would put a swivel there... who knows? They also had one in the butt that also stripped. I plugged them but being anal as I am, they look terrible. I been thinking of ordering a walnut stock from Boyd's with XX walnut. Going to run about $350 time it gets here. Is it worth the extra $$ or should I just leave well enough alone? Will it make a difference in value of the rifle or is it just a run of the mill 336 and even with a new stock it won't help the value?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's a CS model, Carbine with Safety. Try to find a replacement forearm. The old one might be able to be filled and look OK. Probably the reason the rear one stripped is because someone put it in the Marlin "bullseye". Lots of Bubba's have done that. It's not where it goes. The Bullseye means the stock is Walnut, not Birch. Maybe you could replace the Bullseye, they are available, and put the rear swivel stud in the right place.
Good Luck, and Old Marlins are fun to work with,
Ric

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 26 invisible), 2,079 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.