OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

I like guns | optics | fishing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
3500 is kinda steep for the wood. Buy a couple JM Marlins for that with money left over

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Looks like a direct copy, excepting the extractor, of a Marlin right down to the push button safety. Why do all these companies always copy the Marlin?

I would like to see someone do something different. Maybe give the Winchester 92 design an angle eject makeover like the 94.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like a Henry with a crossbolt hammer block.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had some inside info a year or so ago that this was a possibility. I suggested .500 and .460. They'd sell the piss out of those...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When 12 year old lawyers design a lever action.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
.....I suggested .500 and .460. They'd sell the piss out of those...

Would agree with that! Don't know why they jumped into a crowded market with a .44 (Marlin, Henry, Rossi, Winchester). A .460 that worked with .454 and .45 Colt...... now that would be the berries!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Had some inside info a year or so ago that this was a possibility. I suggested .500 and .460. They'd sell the piss out of those...

Marlin action, which is what that is, ain’t strong enough for those. Need a variation of a Winchester 92 for that.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Or 1886 / model 71

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I crossed S&W off my list after they destroyed Thompson Center.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Don't need stainless , plastic , or them gay assed levers on my lever guns .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Marlin action, which is what that is, ain’t strong enough for those. Need a variation of a Winchester 92 for that.

Understood, but when our S&W rep hinted that they were toying with the idea of a lever action I basically said to design something that would handle the .500 & .460. If Big Horn Armory could do it, S&W with all their muscle could do it, and for a whole lot less. You'd "think" they would see the benefit of production rifles in their two powerhouse cartridges. Maybe down the road...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm liking what I see

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put up for sale what is selling: Marketing 101

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice. Assuming a 1:20 twist, I would buy the $1,200 gun if S&W would put it in a wood or laminated stock. A suppressed .44 lever would be fun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Something like this in .44 mag. Don't care if it says Marlin, S&W or Ruger. Would be nice if it would feed an RCBS 250K or similar length and profile.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/s/leverAction-SBLSeries/

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Day late, dollars too high.
Results speak for themselves. Dying brand.
I'd rather wait on a Rugerlin or buy a rossi to beat on.

We got a 357 marlin NIB day before yesterday. Priced at MSRP sold in 3 hours.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ringworm
Day late, dollars too high.
Results speak for themselves. Dying brand.
I'd rather wait on a Rugerlin or buy a rossi to beat on.

We got a 357 marlin NIB day before yesterday. Priced at MSRP sold in 3 hours.

S&W is a dying brand? Have you heard of the M&P series?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have seen better coat hangers in a meth lab…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one is targeted, at least in part, at those unfortunates who live in places where they’re denied possession of more conventional defensive rifles, at least until the various cases are decided by the SCOTUS, and that’s still uncertain. The rail is already popular on rifles like the Guide Guns, and the several M-lok slots out on the end of the forend are unobtrusive, at least until accessories get attached. I suspect more traditional models are coming, and the manual mentions .45 Colt and .357s. The stock is oogly as polymer stocks generally are, but makes sense for rough use. Hopefully it provides a decent cheek weld for low-mounted optics.

I finally got another truck, but still don’t have much need for a “truck gun”. This one looks like a good one for that.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

😂😂😂😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thurston Howell III has spoken!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Understood, but when our S&W rep hinted that they were toying with the idea of a lever action I basically said to design something that would handle the .500 & .460. If Big Horn Armory could do it, S&W with all their muscle could do it, and for a whole lot less. You'd "think" they would see the benefit of production rifles in their two powerhouse cartridges. Maybe down the road...
I think they'd do a 45-70 before they'd do a 500 or 460 only because of off-the-shelf ammo availability.
But yes, it would be nice to see a production gun in 460 or 500.
One of the reviewers said that 357 and 45LC were mentioned in the manual, so they're probably next.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the looks of the walnut version; I have the bank account for the other. I suspect that there will be other versions out there I hope. and yes, a 357 in the vicinity price range of the synthetic model would be interesting. I doubt I'll go with synthetic on a lever, but never say never.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike

Thurston Howell III has spoken!

Thanks Gilligan…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stainless, synthetic and threaded doesn't exist elsewhere in the lever gun world. Doing that and offering it in the more popular chamberings seems to be a smart way to launch to me. A 357 and 45LC is definitely in the works according to the owners manual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was just about to opine that they should make one with nitrided SS like their auto pistols, but decided to check the specs on their fancy one first. Well, looks like they came close:

Forged 416 SS Receiver with polish black PVD finish
19.25" 410 SS Barrel with polished black PVD finish

Not sure how tough that stuff is, but I bet it’s tougher than Rust-O-Leum.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have any of you seen one of these benched with a scope for some accuracy testing?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I might be in the minority, but I prefer the looks on a Winchester or Marlin.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tmitch

Like a 336 ?????

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Like a 336 ?????

If a South American 92 clone will handle Cassule . I would'nt be concerned on these new round bolt 94 clones

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

I think they'd do a 45-70 before they'd do a 500 or 460 only because of off-the-shelf ammo availability.
But yes, it would be nice to see a production gun in 460 or 500.
One of the reviewers said that 357 and 45LC were mentioned in the manual, so they're probably next.
Different action required

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RAM

Like a 336 ?????

If a South American 92 clone will handle Cassule . I would'nt be concerned on these new round bolt 94 clones

You’d be wrong. A 92 is the strongest traditional lever action there is. It will handle pressures with ease that will lock a Marlin up in a second.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/09/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got to look and hold one of these at the Great American Outdoor Show in pa this week. I'm a traditional wood and blued steel type o'girl but for the purpose of utility, this was really nice. The stock was grippy like their handguns, had the modern mounting systems for accessories, threaded,like what is popular today, and really nicely finished. I was impressed and could appreciate the attention to detail.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sweets
I got to look and hold one of these at the Great American Outdoor Show in pa this week. I'm a traditional wood and blued steel type o'girl but for the purpose of utility, this was really nice. The stock was grippy like their handguns, had the modern mounting systems for accessories, threaded,like what is popular today, and really nicely finished. I was impressed and could appreciate the attention to detail.

I fondled the same rifle you did yesterday at the Harrisburg show and I also like it as well. The rifle shoulders nice and just has a solid feel to it.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did I say Marlin? No I said "round bolt '94 clones" cool your hubris Francis.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Look again, its a Henry action. The original Marlin 1894 that JM should have stayed with rather than caving to the Cowboy action shooters. Plenty strong. Even more so than a '92 as the round bolt is fully enclosed by steel on all 4 sides

B
Online Content
B
I did not see this coming from S and W but I’m glad others are getting into this space in terms of competition. Makes me wonder what other companies are thinking of dipping their toes into that water.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
When is this supposed to be released?

At one with the gun.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

I did a review of the S&W 500 back in 2003 when released and started with a summary. "The 500 S&W is probably the best lever action cartridge never chambered". The SAAMI spec's changed after the introduction as the original version used large Pistol Primers and was upgraded to Large Rifle primers and 65K pressures.

The interesting fact being I had determined that in my article as I found unburned powder residue using pistol primers, the dies sent by RCBS didn't accommodate pointed bullets so I reported that to RCBS and they sent tapered cones as Barnes had begun releasing their range of X bullets with 3 weights needing the deeper tapered cone and 1 lighter version at 275gn which would suit a lever rifle very well. My original bullet tests were 275gn Cor Bon loads and handloads, 325gn Speer made for the 500 Auto and sound to be too soft for the magnum and the 400gn Sierra flap point. I added all 4 weights of Barnes bullets as soon as they arrived. It was a good beginning for a new cartridge.

The next change was deeper primer pockets in the cases as rifle primers are deeper than pistol primers apart from the thicker cup metal. The first batch of factory loads from CorBon had pistol primers and I still have those cases which don't accommodate Large rifle primers (well). The biggest challenge was working with no reloading information available.

When I experienced ignition problems and unburned powder, it struck me that as I was basically using .243 powder volumes, it was silly using pistol primers which is why I changed the dies, crush seated a few rifle primers and worked up the powder changes to around 200fps over factory specs. Current factory specs are still several hundred fps above my loads but as I gained great accuracy and was using the handgun on whitetail anyway, stayed around 1800fps with the 275's. The best part of a review is the exploration.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee joe bob, once a man realized he was wrong, so wrong he was blind to what was before his eyes, he'ld apologize. But you ? 🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗.

Speaks volumes to your character. And ignorance.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RAM
Gee joe bob, once a man realized he was wrong, so wrong he was blind to what was before his eyes, he'ld apologize. But you ? 🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗.

I hadn’t even been back to the thread until now. But whatever. But hey, a 92 is still stronger than a round bolt. But you are correct, my character is abysmal. I never apologize to nameless jackasses in the internet when I’m possibly wrong about some arcane detail regarding a rifle. It is horrible behavior, I’ll grant you. I only do it because my mother was a horrible person who raised me to be a d-i-c-k.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAM

I hadn’t even been back to the thread until now. But whatever. But hey, a 92 is still stronger than a round bolt. But you are correct, my character is abysmal. I never apologize to nameless jackasses in the internet when I’m possibly wrong about some arcane detail regarding a rifle. It is horrible behavior, I’ll grant you. I only do it because my mother was a horrible person who raised me to be a d-i-c-k.

Stronger says what ? Got anything to back that up besides your mind? Cuz we all know that is worthless.

Steel on 4 sides beats steel on 3 sides, every time. They both have 2 locking lugs in the rear. The Henry has got the '92 and the Marlin both beat

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by RAM

Stronger says what ? Got anything to back that up besides your mind? Cuz we all know that is worthless.

Steel on 4 sides beats steel on 3 sides, every time. They both have 2 locking lugs in the rear. The Henry has got the '92 and the Marlin both beat

Let me know when Henry chambers one of its traditional levers for a 65k psi cartridge.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by RAM

You better go look at a schematic of the Henry, that is if your dumb ass can read one. The Henry Big Boy is essentially a short action 336. It has one locking lug that engages a notch in the underside of the bolt..

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by RAM

You better go look at a schematic of the Henry, that is if your dumb ass can read one. The Henry Big Boy is essentially a short action 336. It has one locking lug that engages a notch in the underside of the bolt..
why the hostility and name calling? Makes you appear as a whiney cu nt.
Please discuss things like a man if you can. Thank you

Henry, like Marlin uses one U shaped piece, lug on the left, and lug on the right. And pushing the two piece fp into battery in the middle. The design is proven by the .450 marlin belted magnum.The '92 has two lugs pinned together w/ flat stock and hardened pins. Sliding into rabbets on left and right sides of bolt. Generally you'll find one solid piece less likely to failure.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I tried the 500 magnum cartridge in a 336. Could not get it to feed at all. I think I shot sixty some maximum hand loaded rounds before the locking lug deformed and the action ceased to function. 60,000 psi is a tall leap.
My experience with 86,71 and 92 showed me to build a rifle that can handle the 500 magnum and 60,000 psi.
I shot a “92” in 480 Ruger as a test. Maximum handloads using the same components as the pressure data. The action stretched almost .030 in length until I quit shooting it. I could not find 454 to test.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by RAM

why the hostility and name calling? Makes you appear as a whiney cu nt.
Please discuss things like a man if you can. Thank you

Henry, like Marlin uses one U shaped piece, lug on the left, and lug on the right. And pushing the two piece fp into battery in the middle. The design is proven by the .450 marlin belted magnum.The '92 has two lugs pinned together w/ flat stock and hardened pins. Sliding into rabbets on left and right sides of bolt. Generally you'll find one solid piece less likely to failure.
It's one lug with a cutout for the firing pin to pass through you dope. The .450 Marlin operates at a SAMMI MAP of 43,500 PSI. A far cry from the .500 S&W's SAMMI MAP of 60,000 PSI. You should really keep your pie hole shut in these discussions as you give out erroneous information over and over and make yourself look just as dumb as you do on the campfire forum.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can't let go of the personal attacks hih? You should get some help with that.

So you think two lugs pinned together by loose fitted straps is stronger that two lugs from one forging? Any particular reason? Or you just gonna keep name calling and stamping your feet like a spoiled child ?
Have you even paused a moment in your fanatical rage to ask the simple question Why?

Who wants a 7# Carbine that will kick the bejesus out of them, if it holds together? Are you a masochist?

There are millions of things the human mind can dream up. Most never come to fruition for lack of a why.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You have proven over and over that you are a dumb sunofabitch who knows jack diddly about lever action rifles or anything much at all and are not worth arguing with. Here's a hint for you retard. How those locking bolts are connected to the lever to actuate has zip to do with how strong the lockup is when the action is closed in battery.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zip ? What a maroon. Because YOU say something doesn't make it true. You bring zero support. And the personal attacks continue. Do you have anything constructive to offer? A real "my way or the highway" type. "I'm right your dumb" is such a strong arguement. I've seen the result of your temper, many times on the faces and bodies of the spouses and children of those of your ilk. Probably beat you pets too. Get some help with your rage.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Geesus, you ain't been right about anything and too dumb to figure it out for yourself. A pitiful waste of space you are.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Say you, so, no one.Blah blah blah. Get some help .Please. you NEED it.
You troll for "tastes great,less filling" arguments over topics only you think are important.
If there was a market. Someone would fill it. Live with it.
454 on a 92, you got it, 500 on a 86 you got that too. What's your bitch?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So, now you’re crying about personal attacks? Too funny. You’re a whiny bitch.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Here is a link to a better pic of one.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037742001/

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So, now you’re crying about personal attacks? Too funny. You’re a whiny bitch.

Not crying at all. Requesting the Trolls to grow up. Have a discussion. Lost cause .like talking to a 5 year old

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You think we don't see how you act and all the name calling you do ? LOL. Moron. Heres another clue to help your stupid ass figure out which rifle design is stronger and why that might be. Pay attention to where the locking lug abutment surfaces are located within the receiver.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My advise, put Ram on the ignore list. Once you do that you won’t have to see his posts. Life is better that way.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bugger
My advise, put Ram on the ignore list. Once you do that you won’t have to see his posts. Life is better that way.

Good advice

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by frank500
I tried the 500 magnum cartridge in a 336. Could not get it to feed at all. I think I shot sixty some maximum hand loaded rounds before the locking lug deformed and the action ceased to function. 60,000 psi is a tall leap.
My experience with 86,71 and 92 showed me to build a rifle that can handle the 500 magnum and 60,000 psi.
I shot a “92” in 480 Ruger as a test. Maximum handloads using the same components as the pressure data. The action stretched almost .030 in length until I quit shooting it. I could not find 454 to test.
Frank,
Could you try saying this a different way? Doesn't make a lot of sence and includes some impossibilities as written.
Thanks

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
The Rossi lever gun I tried in 480 Ruger was a dangerous rifle. The headspace was over maximum to start with, yes it was new. Loading a maximum load from western powders with the same components, the action stretched an additional thirty thousand. I discontinued testing it in that account. I wouldn’t touch one of their 454s.
I designed the big horn armory model 89 in 500 Smith and Wesson magnum. Built two prototypes, shot and hunted with number two. I understand that rifle is in the Buffalo Bill center of the West. Killed an elk with it. My rifle will withstand sixty thousand psi rounds easily. Number two prototype was machined from 4140 and I couldn’t make it stretch or blow up.
What else?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 163bc, 06hunter59, 60 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,504
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.