-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here are some so. Idaho traffic cam shots this morning in areas where the elk normally migrate FROM in the early winter. A foot or more of snow is the norm this time of year but we sure haven't seen it. It'll be a couple more months before they publish the harvest results but I'm betting that they're extremely low.
The 3d shot is an airport runway in the Sawtooth mountains. You could almost land a plane on wheels there. Normally they'd be snowmobiling over the tops of the sagebrush by now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No snow here either, and I am on at Latitude 53.631611 farther north, not an average snowfall year, by far!

Rock Chuck I really like "It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit." in your signature, so true!

Last edited by KillerBee; 12/30/23.

KB

Gentlemen, it's an El'Nino year. It's typical for less snow in the winter in the Rocky Mountain West. Colder, but not as much snow.

Good luck in your hunting!

"There are no shortcuts in BPCR Silhouette match shooting"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The snow pack in the area I posted about is only about 50% of normal for this time of year. However - right now we're having blizzard conditions and it's snowing like crazy up there. Roads are closed all over the area. In a couple days after it blows over, the situation might have changed a lot. We'll see. Of course the hunting seasons are long past but we really need the water.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had about 40 plus in my yard this afternoon, on my little 1.5 acres. Just grazing away.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RB1Shooter
Gentlemen, it's an El'Nino year. It's typical for less snow in the winter in the Rocky Mountain West. Colder, but not as much snow.

Good luck in your hunting!

And that seems to be holding true here in the southern Rockies…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
RC said, "...but we really need the water."

That seems to be the common refrain from anyone, anywhere you talk about the weather. I often wonder how many Americans, on a normal daily basis, can't get water to drink, cook and bath with? Granted, we don't want forest or range fires however, they have been naturally occurring events since time began. Just as humanity has done for the past thousands of years, we'll deal with an occasional lack of water.

RC, I am not disagreeing with you nor am I poking fun, just saying.

"There are no shortcuts in BPCR Silhouette match shooting"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Last year it was winter kill, now people are complaining about not enough snow. Jfc

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Last year was volcano year. The Tonga underwater volcano put an incredible amount of water in the atmosphere and when last winter started it was still there. Before winter started, they forecast very heavy precip all over the Rockies as the air cooled and all that water finally fell out and that's exactly what happened. It was a 1 time event, not a change in the ongoing drought.

In general, the US has plenty of water. The problem is distribution. The east gets far more rainfall than the west and that's the way it's always been. Easterners are concerned with getting rid of water while westerners want and need it and can't get it. Western states have developed intricate water laws determining who gets the water and who doesn't. There have been threads here on 24hr about the 'nonsense' of not being able to collect rain water running off your own roof. They don't understand the science of watersheds and the laws regulating them. Every drop of water in the west is owned by someone, somewhere as soon as it hits the ground. Battles have been fought and people have died over water. The west has millions of acres of land that could be good farm land but there's simply no water available to farm it. So, it was never settled and is now controlled by the Forest Svc and BLM. That's great for us outdoorsmen but think of the huge increase in food production that would be possible if there was a way to get water from the Mississippi over the great divide.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
RC. We see that a lot of that on the eastern side of the divide. Western slope always gets a lot more snow than us. Our biggest snows are the Albuquerque lows that pulls water up thru NM AZ, pushed it NE and then it wraps back around CCW to east side of the rockies and comes driving down from the north. Storms that come east over the Rockies usually don't dump much on us.

When I lived in Albuquerque I irrigated off the Rio Grand Conservancy ditch.When I moved to Colorado I swore I would never water from public ditch again. Lot of arguments and fierce discussions.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/23/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 257Bob, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,629
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.