Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've always wanted to get A. A wolf and B. A badger. I have found a little bit online to start thinking about a wolf hunt, but would welcome any insight from those that live around them and or have hunted them before. The Badger part, I'm guessing will have to be dumb luck and some conversation with an outfitter on some other hunt as I doubt it makes sense to drive from Western Pa to Badger country just to get one.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Badgers are hit or miss, out west anyhow. They’re generally in the desert/low crop lands but can be in mountains too. Maybe do a guided antelope hunt and ask the outfitter about how many badgers they generally see.? Doing some sort of a prairie dog hunt would be another option.

Wolves? I’ve killed a few and they can be called but they’re largely a target of opportunity. Maybe try an Alberta baited hunt?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
With the exception of a Mule Deer in Montana, a Black Bear in New Mexico, and a white-tail deer this year (a shoot, not a hunt), every critter I've taken has been DIY here in Texas on a "tresspass" lease.

I would love to take a DIY Mountain Lion and badger.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always wanted to hunt muskox by dog sled.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't really enjoy traveling but, I'd like to hunt out West some day - mule deer or elk. I have a thing about Ibex, I want one. Maybe that's a Bucket List but, to be honest, I'm pretty happy where I'm at.

Here's a few pages from a longer chapter about badger hunting with dogs from a great out-of-print book by a very interesting dude. Thought you badger hunters might enjoy:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
a wolf and a mountain lion called in I have nothing against using dogs I just want to call one in and shoot it

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Too many to name…. my dreams were vanquished many years ago! 🤬 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
I've always wanted to get A. A wolf and B. A badger. I have found a little bit online to start thinking about a wolf hunt, but would welcome any insight from those that live around them and or have hunted them before. The Badger part, I'm guessing will have to be dumb luck and some conversation with an outfitter on some other hunt as I doubt it makes sense to drive from Western Pa to Badger country just to get one.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
Maybe try an Alberta baited hunt?

What the Tinman said about wolves....

As for the badger theres a bunch on the northern plains and they are usually a target of opportunity, but if you are so inclined and have access to good spots, they are mostly nocturnal and can be called and shot at night where legal.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
300 lb or bigger pig

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A "good" Mule Deer. As a kid the magic number was 30. From what I understand, I'd have to go to Mexico these days to have a shot at that. NFW I'm going to Mexico again.

So whatever is a "good" one these days - I've never shot nor hunted them but they fascinate me.

Bear hunt in SE Alaska would be on the list too. I've shot bear before - Canada but the SE AK big ones on a beach would be neat.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't mind shooting a variety of antelope in Africa, maybe, we'll see. I'd like to shoot an elk but not likely as 1) I'm not willing to pay $10k for a guided hunt, 2) I don't have several friends available to pack one out, 3) I live in FL and 4) I really don't want to hunt anything where I can't bring the meat home with me (the main point these days) so that limits me to driving, CO/WY probably my limit with at rest stop in KS with the in laws. I'd like to shoot a bull elk but would be happy to start with a cow only if I could transport the meat.

I was in Scotland last year, wish I had thought in advance to hunt a stag while there. I have about a half dozen heads in storage and really no place to put them at the moment, not looking to add more unless I manage to kill something bigger in KS (I have photos of him!) than the one I killed last year.

I'm at the age where I realize my sons have no interest or place to put my "trophies" and I can't blame them so accumulating more doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Some euro mounts could easily be accommodated though!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My next "bucket list" critter to get is a black bear. Hunted them 2X previously without punching a tag.

After that I would like a mountain lion with dogs.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Mule Deer
Pronghorn
Axis
Bull Elk

I'm going to Newfoundland in October for a Moose. Wish me luck.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
WRT the badger, while pheasant hunting on public CRP in KS last Nov, we saw lots of badger sign/holes and one badger. Seemed to be a huge population south and north of Syracuse, KS.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Many years ago I built a rifle for hunting grizzlies and never had a chance to go,I sure would like to take that rifle and get a grizz.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Still to collect:
Bighorn
Oryx (NM)
Antelope
Turkey

Wouldn't be averse to more...
Elk
Moose
Mtn. Goat
Mule Deer

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have max points in Arizona for sheep. Maybe some day. I'll have my own tag. I would like to do a 3 week horseback hunt for stone sheep, grizzly and caribou..
I would like to go back to Africa and shoot a crocodile

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mid asian Ibex for me. They're only thing outside of AK that I have desire to hunt.

Well other than bighorn and Stones but those aren't realistic for me. Next life I'll come back as trustafarian kid..

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Finally getting to scratch my moose itch in Alberta this year.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hmmmmm, maybe a fallow deer, sandhill crane, possibly a bear,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (204guy, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 280Ackleyrized, 117LBS, 30 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,776
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.