Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My VXIII 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle almost hosed me last summer. Two days before leaving for Africa and I went to the range just to double check my Kimber which I was planing on using for plains game. First shot was 8” high and a little right, WTF. 2nd shot was close to aim point, and the third was way off as well. This particular scope has been back to Leupold before because it went tits up, and it seems it’s gone again. Luckily I had another VX3 that I swapped and got back on track. Now, Im thinking of swapping brands. I loved Leupolds because I thought they were great scopes for the price, and when I bought my last scope, cost was still an issue. But I’ve lost some confidence in them with heavier recoiling rifles. So, I’m thinking of putting a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with BRH reticle in my Kimber. Am I just being stupid or is the Swaro really with it?

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
if I was going to Africa I think I would step up to something with a little better reputation....to much money involved to take a chance in my opinion

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Leupold is an average to good scope. Swarovski is top shelf. I made the switch after a Leupold failure and a Zeiss failure. Have one Swaro fail to adjust, but bought it used. Never again. Any serious trip gets a new Swaro.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dogcat
Leupold is an average to good scope. Swarovski is top shelf. I made the switch after a Leupold failure and a Zeiss failure. Have one Swaro fail to adjust, but bought it used. Never again. Any serious trip gets a new Swaro.

I hope you have better luck with Swaros than I did. Had 2 go wonky on a 300 wm. Less than 50 shots for each one. Explanation on the first one was something to the effect that they were only designed to be adjusted a certain percentage of their range, which I was still in. After the replacement did the same thing in about the same number of shots, I concluded that they weren't a good fit for magnum recoil. A cursory scroll through a few threads on rugged scopes showed that I was far from the only one to have such luck with them.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I’ve had inconsistent tracking in Swaro Z3s, a Z5 and a Z6. Have had a Z3 that would not hold zero as well. Glass has been excellent in most but not all. Swaro service has been outstanding.

My experience is the old VARI-X- III were far more likely to hold zero than the subsequent models. Tracking has always been a joke on the older models…50/50 on the newer ones. I’m alway looking for older ones for set and forget situations.

For dialing, I’ve migrated to NF SFP scopes as I’ve grown weary of scope roulette on my hunting rigs.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
you couldn't GIVE me a swaro.......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
All brands/models of scopes can break.
Leupold is/was the most popular middle to higher cost scope in America.
If only a small number of Leupolds were ever sold, we would hardly or never hear about problems.

My NF SHV and SS scopes usually don’t return to zero when it’s below freezing and I crank them very far. The SS at least returns to zero if I warm it up, usually but not always for the SHV.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
They all fail, but typically in very small numbers. I have sent at least one of almost every mid to top tier brand back at one time or another.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I have to agree with this
Swaro makes perhaps the best binoculars and spotters......but their rifle scopes are junk IMO
good glass with bad mechanic's, dont track well or return to zero well.
I have way too many Leupold scopes to sell them but will never use one again for a once in a lifetime hunt
Last few years I have been using Tract Toric scopes with great success they have worked very well without issues

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Fck Leupold.I want my rifles topped with a scope from LOW in Japan…

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leupolds suck!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Whitetail, Mule deer, Elk, prairie dogs, ground hogs, coons, squirrels, crows, possums, think that too.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a number of Leupolds and 1 Swarovski. Wouldn’t trust any of them to track dialing but great for set and forget. B&C and TDS reticles work for me. I have 1 SWFA and it is the only scope I’ve ever owned that tracks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If your rifle has iron sights, get familiar with them in case your scope goes goes tits up. And bring a backup scope too boot.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Swaro makes perhaps the best binoculars and spotters......but their rifle scopes are junk IMO
I have way too many Leupold scopes to sell them but will never use one again for a once in a lifetime hunt
Last few years I have been using Tract Toric scopes with great success they have worked very well without issues

I agree with regards to Swaro, in my case the SwaroA 1" tube. It sucked, swaro fixed it, I sold it. My buddy had two of them do the same thing. Love the binos, 1" tube Swaro scopes suck though. Took a 2-12x VX6 to Africa 6 times with nary a problem......but it's the only Leupold I have left.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Higginez
Leupolds suck!

LOL.

So says a guy who has never done anything and owns shitty rifles.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Leupold sucks sweaty balls

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Leupolds suck!

LOL.

So says a guy who has never done anything and owns shitty rifles.

Yep!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold Hater's deer.

Leupold Lover's deer.

Originally Posted by Stevie Wonder
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Weak.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weak.

Grow stonger.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weak? Weak is posting photos of other peoples big game kills. Burns is weak.

GOA
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

So does your sig gif...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
62 pages later, Leupold will still be on the hind teet.

LMAO!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gene270
if I was going to Africa I think I would step up to something with a little better reputation....to much money involved to take a chance in my opinion
Originally Posted by elkaddict
I’ve had inconsistent tracking in Swaro Z3s, a Z5 and a Z6. Have had a Z3 that would not hold zero as well. Glass has been excellent in most but not all. Swaro service has been outstanding.

My experience is the old VARI-X- III were far more likely to hold zero than the subsequent models. Tracking has always been a joke on the older models…50/50 on the newer ones. I’m alway looking for older ones for set and forget situations.

For dialing, I’ve migrated to NF SFP scopes as I’ve grown weary of scope roulette on my hunting rigs.

Good post. I’ve seen the same thing. Failures with the Swaro Z3, and the Leupold VX 3is a dog. Why do you guys think Leupold went from those to the “upgraded” VX3i so fast?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

So does your sig gif...
Including your wife’s sweaty balls

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold Hater's only elk ever.

Leupold Lover's Elk.

Originally Posted by Stevie Wonder
[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leupold Lover's Elk.

Is that your friend?

LMAO!

Last edited by Higginez; 01/28/24.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swaro won’t give you much more.

Straight to the NF SHV and don’t look back.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oh, I forgot to add, JOHN BURNS SUCKS POLE.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SWFA 3-9, Trijicon 3-9, NF Compact 2.5-10..... That is what I would engage.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jetjockey
My VXIII 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle almost hosed me last summer. Two days before leaving for Africa and I went to the range just to double check my Kimber which I was planing on using for plains game. First shot was 8” high and a little right, WTF. 2nd shot was close to aim point, and the third was way off as well. This particular scope has been back to Leupold before because it went tits up, and it seems it’s gone again. Luckily I had another VX3 that I swapped and got back on track. Now, Im thinking of swapping brands. I loved Leupolds because I thought they were great scopes for the price, and when I bought my last scope, cost was still an issue. But I’ve lost some confidence in them with heavier recoiling rifles. So, I’m thinking of putting a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with BRH reticle in my Kimber. Am I just being stupid or is the Swaro really with it?

I have that exact scope with that exact issue. I sent mine in for repair only to have the same issue when I got it back. I am not going to bash the brand because I have other Leupolds that consistently steer bullets to where I aim.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Leupold came with the tag, guide, and access?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I agree with regards to Swaro, in my case the SwaroA 1" tube. It sucked, swaro fixed it, I sold it. My buddy had two of them do the same thing. Love the binos, 1" tube Swaro scopes suck though. Took a 2-12x VX6 to Africa 6 times with nary a problem......but it's the only Leupold I have left.

Yikes, you convinced me…

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Shrap, what you do and use is irrelevant to me, and vice versa I'm quite sure. If you decipher reports of real world actual use as trying to convince you of anything, then that's "you" problem, not me. Use what you want and I'll do the same. I couldn't care less.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
why not use the best ? Nightforce scopes that is what i am taking to Africa ,have used Nightforce out west in the field not in a truck on a 2-track , at my home state in the woods and tamarack swamps and while shooting bench rest competition. showing pictures of rifles and dead game animals is tacky i don`t need to brag i deal in facts ,with a Nightforce scope on my rifles.

Last edited by pete53; 01/29/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'd like the one 2nd from the left with the Irish Walnut

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regardless of what scope you choose for an important trip away from home, you should have a second scope along in quick release rings ready to go. I did this for my African trip and it saved my trip when I damaged my first scope bouncing around in the back of the bakkie .... changed out scopes, checked zero, and went hunting...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sheister
Regardless of what scope you choose for an important trip away from home, you should have a second scope along in quick release rings ready to go. I did this for my African trip and it saved my trip when I damaged my first scope bouncing around in the back of the bakkie .... changed out scopes, checked zero, and went hunting...

agreed !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Weaver k3 microtrac

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrap, what you do and use is irrelevant to me, and vice versa I'm quite sure. If you decipher reports of real world actual use as trying to convince you of anything, then that's "you" problem, not me. Use what you want and I'll do the same. I couldn't care less.

Understood, but Huntsman made it clear he wouldn’t own one and I doubt he has had more days in the field with a Swaro than I have and find it funny how everyone is so quick to be critical on the Campfire…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Threads like this will just end up being 10 pages of folks arguing over what they trust the most. The fact of the matter is, most scopes made today will help you kill chit. Youll hear leupys are junk, swaro is junk, zeiss is junk. Nightforce is the only scope that will allow you to successfully harvest game. I have owned them all. Never had any of them fail. Any scope can fail, but after reading a thread like this, youll think that everything is junk and will not work lol. Opinions and options are great, but the point is, grain of salt type of thing

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Understood, but Huntsman made it clear he wouldn’t own one and I doubt he has had more days in the field with a Swaro than I have and find it funny how everyone is so quick to be critical on the Campfire…

I hear you. Seems like everyone nowadays has an emotional attachment to their gear that they paid hard earned money for. I'm probably the weird one.....I like and use what works for what I'm doing, no brand loyalty, none, zero, nada. When it doesn't work anymore, I find something that does. Killed over 60 African big game animals with my VX6. When people around here hear that out they schitttt their pants and respond much the same.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pete53
why not use the best ? Nightforce scopes that is what i am taking to Africa ,have used Nightforce out west in the field not in a truck on a 2-track , at my home state in the woods and tamarack swamps and while shooting bench rest competition. showing pictures of rifles and dead game animals is tacky i don`t need to brag i deal in facts ,with a Nightforce scope on my rifles.

Then again, not everyone is in love with carrying 3lb scopes around their rifles in Africa, especially when the odds of having to dial it are 99-1. Hope you have a great hunt though.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Then again, not everyone is in love with carrying 3lb scopes around their rifles in Africa, especially when the odds of having to dial it are 99-1. Hope you have a great hunt though.

The 2.5-10 NXS and 3-10 SHV are 19-22 Oz depending on whether you have a 32MM or 42MM Obj.

I currently have a 2.5-10x32 NXS on my 375 Talkeetna. I'm going to put a 1.5-6x42 Swaro into a set of Talley screw-lock rings and give it a whirl upon same.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Exactly why i dont use nf. Too damn heavy

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Just so folks know, the hunt was last summer and the VX3 I swapped from another gun worked perfectly. Longest shot was 220 yards on a waterbuck.

But, I’ve lost confidence in the scope that was on my Kimber, and that’s the reason for the post. I don’t plan on dialing because I dont need to shoot over 500 yards, and several of the reticles available compensate for that. The reason I mentioned the Swaro was because of weight. If weight wasn’t an issue, I’d probably run a S&B, but they are in the 21-22oz range, almost 10oz more than the Swaro. Same thing with the NF. Plus, it’s more of a classic gun and Im not really a fan of the tactical look of the NF.
I’m figured this would turn into some what of a d!ck measuring contest, but I do appreciate the responses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I hear you. Seems like everyone nowadays has an emotional attachment to their gear that they paid hard earned money for. I'm probably the weird one.....I like and use what works for what I'm doing, no brand loyalty, none, zero, nada. When it doesn't work anymore, I find something that does. Killed over 60 African big game animals with my VX6. When people around here hear that out they schitttt their pants and respond much the same.
Same here. Ive killed game with all of them, even a $30 tasco lol

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
On my last Africa trip, my son and I took three rifles. The plains game rifles had Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 scopes and the .375 had a Leupold VX-6 1-6x. The scopes all worked fine, but just in case we also had a backup scope for each rifle in QD rings. Luckily we didn't need the backups.

I've mostly had good luck with Leupolds but a few have had problems. I use several scope brands and generally prefer fairly light scopes under 16 ounces. But I do have a couple of Tract Toric 2-10x scopes that weigh 18.6 ounces and one SWFA 10x that's about the same weight. Other than target rifles I prefer not to go with heavier scopes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, all can have failures...and do. My issue is the last 5 Leupolds I've bought have ALL failed. 100%

Trijicon is the most obvious comparison based on length diameter, weight, etc. I have purchased 2 3-9x40 Accupoints in the last 3 years and 1 of the 2 was dead out of the box. 50%...but if I'd bought 5 would bet %age would be better... (We already know in the sample size it's better)

My "thang" is this... Leupold has always been vaunted for their service, and everyone knows their premium price for a medium product includes that amazing warranty. Yet, I returned a VX6 2-12 that came back and wasn't fixed. I returned my Dad's VX6 3-18 that came back and failed again in one mag. Most recently, I returned a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 and a VX-3 3.5-10x40 some 2 months back, and the Trijicon is back, remounted, and working great... The Leupold isn't even back and other than the initial "we have it" I haven't heard a thing.

[bleep] Leupold...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll take all the Leupolds and Swarovskis you guys are giving away. Lol

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bull64
Fck Leupold.I want my rifles topped with a scope from LOW in Japan…

I've had pretty good luck overall with LOW scopes. Other than the SWFA 3-9 which happens to be a scope I really like but I'm about to give up on. I have several of them and use them more than most other models in general but I've had at least 5 fail in the last dozen years.

Everyone says it's my fault except swfa and they just put me on a long list for another one. Those eho tell me it's my fault have never bother to tell me what I did wrong. I wish they would because my fieldcraft 6mm Creedmoor has one on it and it was always sub 1/2 moa. Now it's 2-3 moa and shifting around. That happened with at least 2 other 3-9's and 2 others just stopped adjusting windage 1 direction. Properly torqued in 6 screw swfa rings.

I guess any scope can have a failure so it's good to have a backup scope or sights or backup rifle. I got tired of waiting on a few 3-9 replacements so I took Chinese athelons instead one 4-16 and one 2-12. They're both still working fine and I've been running the 2-12 on a seekins element 7 prc without the brake.

I'm going to try another 2-12 on my fieldcraft 7-08. That light little gun has trashed 4 scopes, all my fault apparently despite trying different rings and lapping and aligning them. If it eats one of those I'm just going to put a swfa fixed 6 on it. I have yet to brake one of the 6x.

I started getting away from leupolds in the 90s when I started using a few LOW built weavers and liked that a click was a click. I had great luck with first gen weaver grandslams for years but after several years I think some of their springs went softer and groups started opening up with a few.

Then the gen 2 grand slams came out with dual springs and were good for a hunting scope but had crappy Burris ff2 style adjustment where the whole rear of the scope is turned to adjust power. Despite that for basic cheap scopes I still have maybe 5 gen 2 3-12 grandslams built by LOW maybe a dozen years ago and all are still working great. I've got a few on ARs and some on rifles for the kids. For a lighter weight non dialer scope they've been great. I've also had great luck with LOW built bushnell elites like LRHS and DMR 2 and 3s. The BE 3-12 LRHS is one of my all time favorite hunting scopes.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 01/29/24.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had many Leupolds, haven’t had any problems. I had binoculars that failed, but they sent me a new pair.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Interesting thread on Rokslide about drop testing scopes.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This could get some legs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fshaw

Yeah, the guys over there won't wipe their assss without Form's permission. That drop test is a joke IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, the guys over there won't wipe their assss without Form's permission. That drop test is a joke IMO.

How so? The test looks objective.

Or is it just a joke because Leupolds can’t pass it?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would be somewhat peeved if someone dropped one of my scoped rifles.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Threads like this will just end up being 10 pages of folks arguing over what they trust the most. The fact of the matter is, most scopes made today will help you kill chit. Youll hear leupys are junk, swaro is junk, zeiss is junk. Nightforce is the only scope that will allow you to successfully harvest game. I have owned them all. Never had any of them fail. Any scope can fail, but after reading a thread like this, youll think that everything is junk and will not work lol. Opinions and options are great, but the point is, grain of salt type of thing

^ ^ yep

Lol, this thread is comical.

If you cant kill game with a Leupold or swaro, the issue is far more with the indian than the bow.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have been a leupold scope man since about 1970. I have never had a problem with a leupold scope and have used them in Africa several times, Alaska couple times, British Columbia 4 hunts and every year hunting deer and elk here. I have to admit most of my scopes are older vari-x II , vari-x III and vx3. Maybe just lucky but will only use leupold

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Formi used to post on the ‘fire years ago.

We had a drop test:
Formi dropped his on a shooting mat.
Sam dropped his in a pasture.
Deflave sent his skittering across a frozen Montana sewage lagoon.
Stick pitched his off a switchback.

Can’t entirely recall how the scopes fared……

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

We had a drop test:

Leupys don’t tend to fare all that well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ADNA
I have been a leupold scope man since about 1970. I have never had a problem with a leupold scope and have used them in Africa several times, Alaska couple times, British Columbia 4 hunts and every year hunting deer and elk here. I have to admit most of my scopes are older vari-x II , vari-x III and vx3. Maybe just lucky but will only use leupold

Older was better, and the fixed powers were money.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I quit Leupold when they quit on me, sent 2 in for repair, when they came back one took 17 shots to zero and the other would adjust erratically. The old 2 x 7 was the worst tried several.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Where is Big Stick, he might tell us exactly how he feels about scopes?????

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No longer even consider Leupolds on new rifles. I think I have 5 left of Vari-X flavors as set it and forget it scopes. I know one is a rimfire on my Marlin 39A. Now it's Zeiss, NF, Trijicon, SWFA, Meopta.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bellydeep

We had a drop test:

None of 'em do, which is the problem IMO. When 98% of everything tested, "fails"..........I guess rings/mounts, action torque, bedding, etc get a free pass, as it's always the scope's fault. I've killed a buttload of game with "failed" scopes such as the VX6, Arken EP4 (2), Athlon Helos, Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I hope you have better luck with Swaros than I did. Had 2 go wonky on a 300 wm. Less than 50 shots for each one. Explanation on the first one was something to the effect that they were only designed to be adjusted a certain percentage of their range, which I was still in. After the replacement did the same thing in about the same number of shots, I concluded that they weren't a good fit for magnum recoil. A cursory scroll through a few threads on rugged scopes showed that I was far from the only one to have such luck with them.[/quote]

Had one cost me a Booner at 167 yards lasered. Off a sandbag rest. Shooting 7 feet to the right at 50 yards I found out the next day. Love Swaros but they'll never be on a heavy recoil rife any more. They do have a reputation for not being able to handle recoil per our most esteemed posters here.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We had a drop test:

None of 'em do, which is the problem IMO. When 98% of everything tested, "fails"..........I guess rings/mounts, action torque, bedding, etc get a free pass, as it's always the scope's fault. I've killed a buttload of game with "failed" scopes such as the VX6, Arken EP4 (2), Athlon Helos, Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2.
There are certain scopes that do pass the tests, and it seems to be a lot more than 2% of all scopes tested. The testing is far from being scientifically robust and statistically powerful, but they try to control as many variables as possible by bonding action to stock, etc. At the end of the day, it is a source of data, and it should be interpreted and used with the level of experimental design and control taken into consideration.

A recurring theme in these discussions is that killing game is assumed to be the metric by which scope performance and function should be assessed, but that is not the metric that this testing seeks to address. I am very confident that more game has been killed with Tasco scopes than with the VX6. That doesn't mean that everybody wants a Tasco or that the Tasco is "better" for hunting than the VX6. The scope requirements for killing the vast majority of game in NA are fairly lax. Most scopes that are used to kill game don't need to track correctly. They don't need to RTZ. They don't even need to retain zero much better than holding POA to a 2-3 MOA cone. However, some hunters and shooters require, or just want, better performance. While 2-3 MOA zero retention may be sufficient for most hunters' needs, they may want the scope to hold zero within 0.25 MOA.

These sorts of tests push gear to the limits, and that is useful for some people as they assess to what level they want their scopes to perform, and which products they consequently want to use. I see this testing as a good thing and another useful data point, which should be taken for what it is and with a grain of salt.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Had many Leupolds over the years and only one that actually failed was Fixed powder VX2, cross hairs just collapsed, sent it in and got it back in couple of weeks. Now I did notice that sometimes tracking isn't responding as it should and had the same issue with Meopta I spoke about this with Meopta rep and he stated that sometimes adjustments get stuck. This is his response and I'm sure it is true with many scopes in that respect.

"It is possible for the adjustments to kind of “stick” in the scope. I have had a lot of customers send scopes in saying they won’t track, or the adjustments don’t match the click value, and the first thing I will do is spin the adjustment all the way one way, then count rotations back the other way, then turn it half the number of rotations back in the first directions. This not only gets the adjustments moving, but it allows me to reset the scope to optical zero in case the issue is with the rifle being drilled and tapped off center."

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Fixed powder VX2

?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by duke61
"It is possible for the adjustments to kind of “stick” in the scope.

I’ve seen it with me own eyes. Might be even more frequent if the scope hasn’t been dialed or adjusted in a while.

I do the same thing as you but using a Bushnell bore sighter and observing if the reticle moves accurately as it’s dialed. When turning the dials I’ve seen the reticle barely move then “jump” as it apparently unsticks.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by duke61
"It is possible for the adjustments to kind of “stick” in the scope.

I’ve seen it with me own eyes. Might be even more frequent if the scope hasn’t been dialed or adjusted in a while.

I do the same thing as you but using a Bushnell bore sighter and observing if the reticle moves accurately as it’s dialed. When turning the dials I’ve seen the reticle barely move then “jump” as it apparently unsticks.
The erector typically moves in one direction using only spring force, so it is certainly possible for the erector to stick if that spring force is insufficient. This is more likely with some designs than others.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

We had a drop test:

There are certain scopes that do pass the tests, and it seems to be a lot more than 2% of all scopes tested. The testing is far from being scientifically robust and statistically powerful, but they try to control as many variables as possible by bonding action to stock, etc. At the end of the day, it is a source of data, and it should be interpreted and used with the level of experimental design and control taken into consideration.

A recurring theme in these discussions is that killing game is assumed to be the metric by which scope performance and function should be assessed, but that is not the metric that this testing seeks to address. I am very confident that more game has been killed with Tasco scopes than with the VX6. That doesn't mean that everybody wants a Tasco or that the Tasco is "better" for hunting than the VX6. The scope requirements for killing the vast majority of game in NA are fairly lax. Most scopes that are used to kill game don't need to track correctly. They don't need to RTZ. They don't even need to retain zero much better than holding POA to a 2-3 MOA cone. However, some hunters and shooters require, or just want, better performance. While 2-3 MOA zero retention may be sufficient for most hunters' needs, they may want the scope to hold zero within 0.25 MOA.

These sorts of tests push gear to the limits, and that is useful for some people as they assess to what level they want their scopes to perform, and which products they consequently want to use. I see this testing as a good thing and another useful data point, which should be taken for what it is and with a grain of salt.

By the same token, if one is a proponent of these ridiculous drop tests, you're also adhering to the premise that those that "fail" the drop test are unable to hold zero, which is laughable. Most people around here didn't kiss Form's butt or ego so he took his toys over to Rockslide where they revere this dude. I find that laughable as well, especially where he bragged about killing "thousands,plural" of animals the past 15 years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We had a drop test:

By the same token, if one is a proponent of these ridiculous drop tests, you're also adhering to the premise that those that "fail" the drop test are unable to hold zero, which is laughable. Most people around here didn't kiss Form's butt or ego so he took his toys over to Rockslide where they revere this dude. I find that laughable as well, especially where he bragged about killing "thousands," plural, of animals the past 15 years.

Social and personal issues aside, scopes that fail the zero retention component of these drop tests are unable to hold zero when subjected to those types of impacts. Such impacts may be more than most scopes will ever experience, but it is interesting and useful knowledge to see which scopes can get through that and still retain zero. Of course, to make any blanket statement about model X scope holding zero and working across the board would take testing a lot more than 1 or 2 individual samples of that scope model to have any statistical validity. Still interesting, none-the-less.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
So at what point do they become less interesting? 40" drops? 46" drops? 50" drops? How about dropping one off of your rooftop? Is that still relevant? Plus, any hunter that drops his scoped rig on the ground/rocks/etc from any distance would surely recheck zero anyway even with the scopes that "passed". As I mentioned earlier, I have a VX6 that never lost zero in 6 trips to Africa and 60+ big game animals over there. In light of that fact, had many flat brimmed mullets continue to tell me my scope wasn't holding zero. I find that laughable as well.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Why doesn’t Leupold make a VX5 that works for all the naysayers? I don’t get it, they are missing out. That said, until mine fails, I’ll keep using it because is the perfect scope for me. Great glass, good in low light, duplex reticle, dimly lit firedot, alumi caps, good warranty, 3-15 magnification perfect for my hunting and target practice, and holds zero so far. I couldn’t care less about dialing or the CDS system but since it’s there, I also want it to lock so I don’t have even think about it.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Ok. So I may just switch to Talley lightweights to save a few OZ, and then pull the trigger here. The .416 Rigby I used in Africa was topped with a S&B and it performed flawlessly. Thoughts?

https://www.opticsplanet.com/schmid...v_code=BD-RS-SB312K-645-811-882-40-05A02

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So at what point do they become less interesting? 40" drops? 46" drops? 50" drops? How about dropping one off of your rooftop? Is that still relevant?

I suppose it becomes less relevant when the drop distance represents something that the hunter/shooter could not envisioning ever happening in actual use. I think 12", 18", and 36" drops are still in the range of realistic possibilities in the field. I've definitely BTDT. When I was a young hunter, I even had a rifle fall 15+ feet to the ground when I failed to tie it off correctly to lower it from a tree stand. Not that I expect a scope to hold zero through that type of drop. wink

Plus, any hunter that drops his scoped rig on the ground/rocks/etc from any distance would surely recheck zero anyway even with the scopes that "passed". As I mentioned earlier, I have a VX6 that never lost zero in 6 trips to Africa and 60+ big game animals over there. In light of that fact, had many flat brimmed mullets continue to tell me my scope wasn't holding zero. I find that laughable as well.
I don't disagree with you there. It may be difficult to verify zero if on a big trip or when deep in the mountains, but I would sure try to verify zero if the rifle took a tumble.

There are two scenarios here that emerge from that test: scopes that are dropped, lose zero, but continue to work fine once re-zeroed; and scopes that are dropped, lose zero, and never go back to working properly after the drop test. So verifying zero after a tumble is fine if the scope simply needs to be re-zeroed and then continues to hold zero and track properly afterward, but verifying zero isn't going to help if the scope has shaken loose internally from the fall. That's probably where having a scope that can withstand these <3' drops without losing zero or failing to function is particularly useful.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ok. So I may just switch to Talley lightweights to save a few OZ, and then pull the trigger here. The .416 Rigby I used in Africa was topped with a S&B and it performed flawlessly. Thoughts?

That would be beefing up one part of your system and exposing another part to weakness, IMO. I would rather use something like the Leupold Backcountry one-piece rings if you want that style.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Good stuff Jordan. While it may be difficult to verify zero where you're hunting and have taken a fall, it sure doesn't warrant SWAGing rounds at a big game animal if you have no idea where your zero is, if it got knocked off, etc, IMO.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I wouldn’t put any scope weighing more than 15ozs or so on Talley LWT’s—and especially if they would be on a 416 Rigby……

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff Jordan. While it may be difficult to verify zero where you're hunting and have taken a fall, it sure doesn't warrant SWAGing rounds at a big game animal if you have no idea where your zero is, if it got knocked off, etc, IMO.
I definitely agree. Especially if you think there's a good chance that your scope did lose zero after a bump or fall.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I definitely agree. Especially if you think there's a good chance that your scope did lose zero after a bump or fall.

The other option I’ve been kicking around is Conetrol rings and bases. Not sure how much they weigh.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Come on, everyone knows that Schmidt and Bender is the best.

Waaay out of my price range.

My VX 3 2.5-8×32 on a Kimber 300WSM has been to Africa 3 times. I use a TufPak as a case, the rifle is in a soft case surrounded by hunting clothing etc. When zero is checked, a minor adjustment is required. No problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only hunt in Alaska and am on the downhill side of my mediocre hunting career. I used a 1.5-5x20 on a .338 for 12 years. Then went to a 2.5-8x36 for even longer, both had a duplex reticle. For many years I have had a 3-10x42 SHV with Kenton Industries Ballistic Tape on elevation turret. The old Pre-64 Featherweight 30-06 wears a Leupold 3-10x40 with a B&C reticle. My Tikka 6.5 Creed has a 3-9x42 SWFA mil scope on it.

I don't dial Leupold scopes, I do dial the SHV and SWFA if needed, which is rare because a little hold over takes care of moose and caribou out to 300 yards. MY wife's little Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 Win. wears a Leupold 1.5-5x20 with a German #4 reticle. All scopes are zeroed for 100 yards for moose hunts as I seldom shoot over 150 yards.

If one has had a bad experience with any scope, quit using it, if the experience is good it's hard to move on to another scope.

My .338 and 30-06 both have sturdy back up iron sights zeroed for 100 yards and the scopes are in Talley QD rings.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good discussion. Personally I think Form's tests are helpful, and I think Jordan's analysis of the tests are spot-on.

I wish Leupold's were better at tracking and retaining zero- they're just not (I currently own 14 of them). Have seen it too many times over the years. They could be made more robustly, but they clearly are not. I'd give anything for them to be better - they're light, optics are plenty good, they hit the "optical triangle" perfectly, they're good looking, they're mostly USA made. What's not to like lol?

A local acquaintance was for years (well up into the mid/late 2000's), a National Small Bore Silhouette Coach here in MT. He told me Leupold gave the team scopes for free, but they just didn't track well enough or maintain their zero for competition (and broke too often). So, out-of-pocket, they bought their own Weaver Micro Tracks which performed well.

Last edited by Brad; 01/31/24. Reason: Clarification

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Fixed powder VX2

?
Fx

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Good discussion. Personally I think Form's tests are helpful, and I think Jordan's analysis of the tests are spot-on.

I wish Leupold's were better at tracking and retaining zero- they're just not (I currently own 14 of them). Have seen it too many times over the years. They could be made more robustly, but they clearly are not. I'd give anything for them to be better - they're light, optics are plenty good, they hit the "optical triangle" perfectly, they're good looking, they're mostly USA made. What's not to like lol?

A local acquaintance was for years (well up into the mid/late 2000's), a National Air Rifle Coach here in MT. He told me Leupold gave the team scopes for free, but they just didn't track well enough or maintain their zero for competition (and broke too often). So, out-of-pocket, they bought their own Weaver Micro Tracks which performed well.

Brad,

Formy's (Chuck's) test are faked. Totally full of shit.

You don't live very far away and if you want I will drag a multitude of Leupolds on good rifles up north and let you see how well they track. Every single one.

It's not rocket science.

If you are basing an opinion off Weaver Micro Tracs you might multi decades behind the curve.

Let me know.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
This could get some legs.

You aren’t kidding….

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

A local acquaintance was for years (well up into the mid/late 2000's), a National Air Rifle Coach here in MT. He told me Leupold gave the team scopes for free, but they just didn't track well enough or maintain their zero for competition (and broke too often). So, out-of-pocket, they bought their own Weaver Micro Tracks which performed well.

Brad, do you remember what category of air rifle competition the coach was talking about? I thought they used irons only.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last NIB Reupold I purchased,is a fhuqking dismal piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

Took a World Class Rifle that shoots in the .2's,to nearly 2" at 50yds in calm conditions,due erector adjustments. Hint.

Swap the Reupold for a real scope and the former Splendor returns. Pretty fhuqking funny! Hint.

SWFA 6x on FWB 300S...Google as you must. Hint.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One of the clients on a hunt this fall is the world champion PRS shooter. I think thats the right platform.

We spoke of scopes. It confirmed that I haven't had L on the list for a long time now.

Good luck.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MikeS

Brad, do you remember what category of air rifle competition the coach was talking about? I thought they used irons only.

You are correct. We had the conversation back in 2008 or 09, and my memory is fuzzy! I mispoke, it was small bore silhouette, so 22's - I edited my post to reflect that.

I can give you his name via PM, he's still coaching and his daughter is still winning matches!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the update Brad. I have a well used T10 on my smallbore silhouette rifle myself.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have not had a Leupold catastrophically fail, but have experienced the wandering enough when sighting different rifles in to migrate away from them. For me, once set, most have stayed well set. I ran a Leupold 3.5-10 on my lightweight 300 Wby. for a good number of years without ever losing zero.

I also had a Swaro Z-5 that didn't track - done with them.

And to be fair, I had a Bushnell LRHS completely sh_it the bed and froze up so bad nothing could be turned. I also have a second one that has a very hard (way too hard) parallax adjustment. It's going back for repair (or possibly replacement).

I'd love to try a Mark 5HD, but it doesn't really provide anything over a Trijicon or Nightforce. If I could afford a stable of March's I might give them a go, but at 63 I am not sure about my return on investment.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So at what point do they become less interesting? 40" drops? 46" drops? 50" drops? How about dropping one off of your rooftop? Is that still relevant? Plus, any hunter that drops his scoped rig on the ground/rocks/etc from any distance would surely recheck zero anyway even with the scopes that "passed". As I mentioned earlier, I have a VX6 that never lost zero in 6 trips to Africa and 60+ big game animals over there. In light of that fact, had many flat brimmed mullets continue to tell me my scope wasn't holding zero. I find that laughable as well.

Apparently it’s never occurred to you that other hunters might have different requirements???

It’s not uncommon to take a fall in the mountains, especially when there’s fresh snow on top of vegetation. Now imagine it’s a multi day backpack hunt.

Much easier to just pick the more reliable scope from the get go.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It’s easy to blame scopes for small changes in poi. Shooting conditions are more often the cause, but it’s easier to blame gear and pretend your skill is beyond and optics manufacturers are beneath.

Fortunately flies are hunted with a swatter.

And Leupold makes a great product.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Akbob5
I have not had a Leupold catastrophically fail, but have experienced the wandering enough when sighting different rifles in to migrate away from them. For me, once set, most have stayed well set. I ran a Leupold 3.5-10 on my lightweight 300 Wby. for a good number of years without ever losing zero.

I also had a Swaro Z-5 that didn't track - done with them.

And to be fair, I had a Bushnell LRHS completely sh_it the bed and froze up so bad nothing could be turned. I also have a second one that has a very hard (way too hard) parallax adjustment. It's going back for repair (or possibly replacement).

I'd love to try a Mark 5HD, but it doesn't really provide anything over a Trijicon or Nightforce. If I could afford a stable of March's I might give them a go, but at 63 I am not sure about my return on investment.

I've had lens groups shake loose,broken reticles and had multiple other outright catastrophic Reupold failures. Zero retention is impossible,with more than a few Models,as is tracking and repeats. Hint.

My initial LRHS G2 '18X tracked like a Reupold and they simply sent me a new one(G3) and it's long been flawlessly reliable. The herd I procured after same,is also without fault or issue. Hint.

Swaro has never made a scope worth a fhuqk. Hint.

My flagship Reupold MK5 is an EPIC piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

Have a goodly pile of new glass to flog TTT's upon(including Trijicon and Nightfarce) and a coupla new rifles to sort out as well. As glass goes,I'm anxious to see SWFA's newest offerings,once unveiled. Hint.

Folks like to forget,that THE most important part(s) of a scope,is the schit you CAN'T see...which is internals. Hint.

Just sayin'......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Pretend scientist^

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You haven't the "means","abilities" or "comprehension" to even begin to fhuqking fathom the magnitude. Hint.

Though fortunately for you,you "get" to greedily read my EVERY word and gawk every Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist and Spent Primers remain THE Supreme Tutorial,if only to your perpetual Window Licking chagrin. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don’t trust the optics opinion of anyone who cannot form a proper sentence. - Aldo Leupold

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts are reliably the most upsetting,to THE dumbest of fhuqks. Hint. Congratulations?!?.................

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

Apparently it’s never occurred to you that other hunters might have different requirements???

It’s not uncommon to take a fall in the mountains, especially when there’s fresh snow on top of vegetation. Now imagine it’s a multi day backpack hunt.

Much easier to just pick the more reliable scope from the get go.

Apparently you enjoy throwing your scoped rifles around like the narcotic infested gnome does and wonder why they don't work right. Congrats.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Everything is [bleep] when that’s what you’ve got between your ears.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just so folks know, the hunt was last summer and the VX3 I swapped from another gun worked perfectly. Longest shot was 220 yards on a waterbuck.

But, I’ve lost confidence in the scope that was on my Kimber, and that’s the reason for the post. I don’t plan on dialing because I dont need to shoot over 500 yards, and several of the reticles available compensate for that. The reason I mentioned the Swaro was because of weight. If weight wasn’t an issue, I’d probably run a S&B, but they are in the 21-22oz range, almost 10oz more than the Swaro. Same thing with the NF. Plus, it’s more of a classic gun and Im not really a fan of the tactical look of the NF.
I’m figured this would turn into some what of a d!ck measuring contest, but I do appreciate the responses.

Nobody here gives a chit about anything you do, you little commie chkunt.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meanwhile, back at non-name calling and facts, can any of you dispute Stick's claim about Leupold?

Or are you all "the science about Leupold is settled!" types?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Meanwhile, back at non-name calling and facts, can any of you dispute Stick's claim about Leupold?

I'd bet the honest answer would be that some work and some don't. Kind of like every other brand out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon simplistic Facts,being soooooo unsettling. Hint.

Reupold Science. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I'd bet the honest answer would be that some work and some don't. Kind of like every other brand out there.

THIS.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Brad,

You don't live very far away and if you want I will drag a multitude of Leupolds on good rifles up north and let you see how well they track. Every single one.

It's not rocket science.

If you are basing an opinion off Weaver Micro Tracs you might multi decades behind the curve.

Let me know.

JB:

Seems we might have gone over this in past threads, so I apologize if you've already stated it, but what would constitute a valid impact test for a rifle scope to you? Do you think it's important to test in the first place? Are your concerns with the tests in reference with the process or with the validity of reported results?

For credibilty concerns disparate from his scope testing process, I don't put ultimate faith in Formidilosus's scope testing results. Still, I've had several scopes stop doing what they're suposed to do after only several hundred shots and little field use, and I've also had scopes keep right on working after a lot of shooting and unintentional falls and drops while afield, so I do find the topic interesting.

As others have also posted, I think recoil is a constituent in a valid test. I've had more scopes stop working on 300's and 338's than on lesser kickers, so I typically run anything new for awhile on an accurate heavy kicker with a lot of dialing between shots. I'm not afraid to drop a rig on the ground to mimic a fall, but I still check zero in the field if I experience a significant fall or drop while hunting

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
It’s easy to blame scopes for small changes in poi. Shooting conditions are more often the cause, but it’s easier to blame gear and pretend your skill is beyond and optics manufacturers are beneath.

Fortunately flies are hunted with a swatter.

And Leupold makes a great product.

Now I’m not going to say I’m the best shot out there, but I’m far from the worst. I know for 110% fact it wasn’t me. Here is a group I shot with my .270 two days before Africa just for chits and grins. First time I’d ever shot 130gr factory Core Locts in my .270. Obviously it liked them as the 3” high group was the first group, and the 2nd is after I clicked it down. On this Leupy (which is the one I eventually took to Africa) everything worked perfectly. Here was my 2nd shot in Africa after verifying the 300wsm. This was 180 yards off sticks slightly uphill on a kudu that was moving away and not stopped. I was aiming for that little white spot right behind the shoulder. Again, I’m not by any means the best shot in the world, but I can get it done. One of my Leupys is just fine.
[img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/y8R5zTnW/IMG-3089.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/HxzRhsz2/IMG-3090.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]https://i.postimg.cc/QtKXTz3s/IMG-3234.jpg[/img][/img]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The really interesting detail, which is pretty difficult to quantify, is how do the percentages compare between brands. If I were a betting man, I would be pretty confident betting on quite a disparity between various brands.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan,

Have you read "Thinking in Bets" by Annie Duke?

Your answer is spot on.

John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've had lens groups shake loose,broken reticles and had multiple other outright catastrophic Reupold failures. Zero retention is impossible,with more than a few Models,as is tracking and repeats. Hint.

My initial LRHS G2 '18X tracked like a Reupold and they simply sent me a new one(G3) and it's long been flawlessly reliable. The herd I procured after same,is also without fault or issue. Hint.

Swaro has never made a scope worth a fhuqk. Hint.

My flagship Reupold MK5 is an EPIC piece of fhuqking schit. Hint.

Have a goodly pile of new glass to flog TTT's upon(including Trijicon and Nightfarce) and a coupla new rifles to sort out as well. As glass goes,I'm anxious to see SWFA's newest offerings,once unveiled. Hint.

Folks like to forget,that THE most important part(s) of a scope,is the schit you CAN'T see...which is internals. Hint.

Just sayin'......................

So stop throwing them on the ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ACTUAL use and weather,tend to have effect(s) and not all wares are "equal",let alone "close". Hint.

Which is why a simplistic critique by me,has wares flying off shelves,to the chagrin of Crying CLUELESS Kchunts The World over. Hint.............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been waiting on stick to slam "reupold" lmao and for local dirt to start thumping on jet's sack. Lmao. I knew it was gonna happen. Then you get the rempeters/stick arguments. Good read guys. Good read.

If I had all the money back I've blow on leupys, I'd be able to buy a truck lol. Been staunch leupold since I was 12 years old. Never bought anything else. All vx3s and 5s. One vx2. Most went well, but did run into the occasional hiccup about every 4th scope. Send it in, returned within 2 weeks. I have seen the light now on optics and leupold has been surpassed. Trijicon and Nightforce are the brands I look for in a rifle optic, but it's hard to beat that good old leupold duplex. Killed a train car of schit through one, but I'm on the NF and Trijicon bandwagon.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
ACTUAL use and weather,tend to have effect(s) and not all wares are "equal",let alone "close". Hint.

Which is why a simplistic critique by me,has wares flying off shelves,to the chagrin of Crying CLUELESS Kchunts The World over. Hint.............

Most people have never heard of you, and of those that have most pretty much ignore your gibberish.

You are as silly as burns.

Nice pictures though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Which claim?

This one?

I couldn't begin to guess how many tens of thousands of come-up solutions I've dumped into Leupie erectors...less issue.............

This one is an Instant Classic,for a multitude of reasons,which fly over most heads.

Originally Posted by LIL Fish Pathological Liar
I've had lens groups shake loose,broken reticles and had multiple other outright catastrophic Reupold failures. Zero retention is impossible,with more than a few Models,as is tracking and repeats. Hint..

I've a couple few Leupie's,that have over 20,000rds of centerfire apiece through them,with nary a bobble.

For conversation...................

Brad,

It's not rocket science.

Let me know.

Originally Posted by Starbuck
JB:

Seems we might have gone over this in past threads, so I apologize if you've already stated it, but what would constitute a valid impact test for a rifle scope to you? Do you think it's important to test in the first place? Are your concerns with the tests in reference with the process or with the validity of reported results?

For credibilty concerns disparate from his scope testing process, I don't put ultimate faith in Formidilosus's scope testing results. Still, I've had several scopes stop doing what they're suposed to do after only several hundred shots and little field use, and I've also had scopes keep right on working after a lot of shooting and unintentional falls and drops while afield, so I do find the topic interesting.

As others have also posted, I think recoil is a constituent in a valid test. I've had more scopes stop working on 300's and 338's than on lesser kickers, so I typically run anything new for awhile on an accurate heavy kicker with a lot of dialing between shots. I'm not afraid to drop a rig on the ground to mimic a fall, but I still check zero in the field if I experience a significant fall or drop while hunting

We had some discussion a while back and I think a repeatable impact test would offer some good info.

The problem is nobody has the time to test multiple scopes unless they are getting paid and then it becomes advertising.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan,

Your answer is spot on.
I haven't, is it a good read?

My work is probabilistic in nature, however, so I'm used to thinking that way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Most people have never heard of you, and of those that have most pretty much ignore your gibberish.

Nice pictures though.

You blindly follow me,EAGERLY reading every word and gawking EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

How many times a day do you think about me? HINT.

Pardon the poignant profundity of a simplistic critique by me,swaying the Market. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jordan,

A very good read.

I'm a mechanical engineer, retired USAF officer, and I help with corporate turn-arounds.

All of this book was useful.

Jordan,

Your answer is spot on.

John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks for your service David Walter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jordan,

A very good read.

I'm a mechanical engineer, retired USAF officer, and I help with corporate turn-arounds.

All of this book was useful.

Jordan,

Your answer is spot on.

Thanks, David. I’ll take a look.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JG,

You were worth it, and every American I've ever met was worth whatever sacrifice I may have made. Even the ones I don't like.

And a few Canadians, eh Jordan?

Best job I've ever been paid for.

Seriously, the young men and women I left in charge are amazing, and despite the current administration's best efforts, they stand their watch protecting the Constitution of these United States for future generations of Americans.

John Stark.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Nice pictures though.

You blindly follow me,EAGERLY reading every word and gawking EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

How many times a day do you think about me? HINT.

Pardon the poignant profundity of a simplistic critique by me,swaying the Market. Hint.

I peruse your posts along with everyone else's when I happen upon them in a thread I am interested in...I do enjoy the pictures of country that you post...your schtick is meh.

There are some few posters who I will read when I see them post as I find them to be generally interesting, you are not one of those.

No hard feelings, but apart from your pictures you are pretty much boring.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are glued to my EVERY fhuqking word,as you set on the sidelines of life. Hint.

Keep trying to "convince" yourself otherwise. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JG,

You were worth it, and every American I've ever met was worth whatever sacrifice I may have made. Even the ones I don't like.

And a few Canadians, eh Jordan?

Best job I've ever been paid for.

Seriously, the young men and women I left in charge are amazing, and despite the current administration's best efforts, they stand their watch protecting the Constitution of these United States for future generations of Americans.

I'd also like to thank you for your service, David. You are one who understands what you're fighting for.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You are glued to my EVERY fhuqking word,as you set on the sidelines of life. Hint.

Keep trying to "convince" yourself otherwise. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!....................

Ok...whatever helps you sleep at night.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Pardon my control of your vocabulary and punctuation,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

How many times a day do you think about me? What am I wearing? HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nothing says "24hc is my whole life's identity" quite like screen shotting your forum PM numbers as an attempted forum flex.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie

Nothing says "24hc is my whole life's identity" quite like screen shotting your forum PM numbers as an attempted forum flex.

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

LMFAOROTFF!!! 😂😂🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by goalie

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Pardon simplistic Facts,pegging your Insecurities Meter,as you set on the sidelines of your "life" and "live" vicariously. Hint.

Keep filling out Hurt Feeler Reports and vindicating your Professional Victim status. Perhaps give thought to ringing the bell and citing how many times a day you think about me and how I consume your "life". HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guy who takes the time to tee up gigs of screenshots to make snarky replies on an Internet forum spouting off about how much others think about him is unintentionally hilarious.

And pathetic.

But mainly hilarious.

🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

You go girl!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fortunately for you,Emoji's and Punctuation are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,839
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.