Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just Lyman treated corn cob here. Don't much care how "new" brass looks, but I refuse to run dirty brass through my dies and chambers. An hour or so in the vibratory tumbler does the trick. When the treated corn cob finally won't clean efficiently anymore I repurpose it as oil dry in the garage.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Used to be, I thought, early use of something steel. Maybe BBs. Turned brass kind of pink when tumbling.

Steel pins do the same ?

No.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673
Do you clean the pins periodically?

Never do, 673. They polish themselves as you're tumbling the brass.
Just wondering, thanks buddy!

No problem, my frozen friend. 🤣

What do you use for soap LD?

I've been using Armorall ultrashine wash and wax. it cleans the brass good and puts a coat of wax on it so it won't tarnish. I'm just wondering if there is anything better.

I also wanted to add for those that don't know is to not use any cleaning products that contain ammonia as it makes the brass brittle.

Dawn, or the cheaper Walmart brand. Same stuff, far as I can tell.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Used to be, I thought, early use of something steel. Maybe BBs. Turned brass kind of pink when tumbling.

Steel pins do the same ?

No, the pins are real Stainless steel.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Walnut media and Remington cleaning solution, water based. I just vibrate all the ammunition when loaded and it comes out clean as a whistle…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Started out with the rouge infused walnut shell.
Went from that to just plain corn cob. My vibratory cleaner took 2× to 3× longer, so I went back to the infused walnut shell!
Works really well for me. I'm pleased with the result.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Buy lizard bedding at the pet store

I've been using it for years. I have some sort of polishing compound that came with the Dremel which I put a very small amount in with the media.

If you tumble before depriming you don't have to worry about media in the flash holes and (shocking news!) primer pockets don't need to be cleaned.

Actually, the last few years I limit the time cases spend in the tumbler, less than a half hour so as not to clean all the residue inside the necks. Clean necks promote cold welding, bad juju. Shiny brass is of no real value, just cosmetics.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stainless pins. Never have to buy anything else or replenish. Doesn't leave residue, either. Brass comes out like brand new. I really don't see why anybody would use anything else these days. Been doing it for years, ~ 200k rounds.

I've posted this pic before, but this is one reason I won't use stainless pins anymore. This was a relatively new barrel on my 38-55 Schuetzen rifle. I thought I was pretty thorough with my process for making sure I got all the pins out of the brass when I was done tumbling, but I missed one. I went from thinking I had a good chance at finishing in the top 3 at that match to not being able to hit the target instantly. The gouge was deep enough to catch fibers from a patch.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Question for those complaining about dust. Do you have a lid on your tumbler?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkchsr
Stainless pins. Never have to buy anything else or replenish. Doesn't leave residue, either. Brass comes out like brand new. I really don't see why anybody would use anything else these days. Been doing it for years, ~ 200k rounds.

I've posted this pic before, but this is one reason I won't use stainless pins anymore. This was a relatively new barrel on my 38-55 Schuetzen rifle. I thought I was pretty thorough with my process for making sure I got all the pins out of the brass when I was done tumbling, but I missed one. I went from thinking I had a good chance at finishing in the top 3 at that match to not being able to hit the target instantly. The gouge was deep enough to catch fibers from a patch.

Unfortunate that happened but the product nor the process can't be blamed.

I've cleaned thousands upon thousands and never had a pin left in the brass.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I won't use any rouge at all it leaves residue in the case and headstamp fug that.
After shooting bp loads I deprime and soak cases in water with a shot of dawn and white vinegar for 15 minutes. Then get after them with a test tube brush on my dewalt drill. When done they go in to the drum with water lemishine, dawn and sss pins for 2 hrs. Rinse and dry. done they are clean. Frankfort Arsenal tumbler and sss pins. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TBREW401
It is ground corn cobs,, bedding for lizards and reptiles
I have used it for years. Downside is it gets stuck in flash holes

Not too much of a downfall, as most media gets stuck in the flash holes. I run tuffnut with polishing compound, and it gets the brass very shiny. It also gets stuck in the flash holes. Just something you have to learn to deal with. Wondering if pharmy uses any kind of polishing compound with the lizard bedding?

Used to buy walnut media in 50 # bags from a commercial sandblasting supply in Houston called Clem-Tex. They had different size grades so I used #12 grade which was large enough to keep out of the flash holes. Back then a 50# bag was cheaper than the little sack of lizard litter at petsmart.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by elkchsr

Unfortunate that happened but the product nor the process can't be blamed.

I've cleaned thousands upon thousands and never had a pin left in the brass.

Same here. Hundreds of thousands.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
If you don't want to pay robber baron prices for tumbling media, go to an industrial supply house. Here in Indy we have a places called Sandblast Supply, you can purchase a 40-50# bag of corn cob or walnut shell media for what you pay at reloading suppliers for a tumbler full. Industrial supply houses have a variety of grain sizes and can advise you which best suits your purpose. I buy a 40-50# bag, keep a supply for myself and sell the rest to my reloading buddies. Most time my supply is free and sometimes I even make a little money while saving everyone $$$.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"... If you tumble before depriming you don't have to worry about media in the flash holes and (shocking news!) primer pockets don't need to be cleaned. ..."

I keep an old carpet needle on my bench to remove shell from flash holes....and I still clean the primer pockets. It's my OFS instilled by my reloading mentor!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just soak a for a bit in water/dawn (loosen any lube residue) and then tumble in plain walnut shell media for a while. That has always gotten it done with no negative results. Haven't figured out how an ultra shiny case helps with shooting, but do give the pockets a quick swipe. I can overdo stuff with the best of them but try to avoid that - time ain't long.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.