Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I was born in Moscow. I had and still have family in Lewiston. We lived in Kendrick, about twenty miles from Lewiston. Lewiston had Lolo Sporting Goods and Fred Warrens. I bought a Ruger 77 from Buttery's Supermarket. A scope came from Payless Drugs. So, fifty-five years ago, I don't know that I would have wanted to live there, but it was a bi-weekly destination. My wife's grandparents lived in the Orchards, as did a bunch of her aunts and uncles. I haven't lived in the area for fifty years, but it still feels like home when I visit. GD

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Playboy magazine used to have a drinking rating on college towns all over the country.
One year, Playboy didn't list Idaho in their ratings. It just wasn't there. Then they said it wasn't fair to rank professionals with amateurs.

The information for Playboy's 1987 list of party schools had been compiled in 1986 from the reports of Playboy staffers who interviewed campus club leaders, dorm rush chairmen, fraternity presidents and other campus social studs at more than 250 schools nationwide. Which leads us straight into the legend which has sprung up around this famed list:

Then there's the computer bulletin board-fueled story about the magazine (usually Playboy) that was ranking the Top 10 Party Schools in the country. Students at the University of Wisconsin were taken aback when their school didn't rate even an honorable mention; after all, everyone knows about the legendary cheesehead antics that go on in Madison. But when the kids contacted the magazine, they were told: "We don't rank professionals."

Gentle souls that they are, Playboy referenced this bit of folklore (a charming bit of blarney which been told about any number of schools, cheese-enhanced and otherwise, for many years prior to 1987) and did their best console those who were left off the January 1987 compilation by stating, "If your school isn't listed, it's probably because we didn't include professionals."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Lewiston is not "hot"........13 days over 100 degrees last summer

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/lewiston/yearly-days-of-100-degrees

Not sure where you are, but to compare to Lewiston, Little Rock had 15 days of 100 F or better

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/little-rock/yearly-days-of-100-degrees

I can guarantee you the 100F in Lewiston is lot more pleasurable than 100F in Arkansas.

If you plan on renting until you find something to purchase further out, Lewiston might be tolerable enough. I lived about 50 miles from there for 7 work seasons or so. Decent healthcare at the time (I left in 2017) , I had a minor surgery while up there, good dermatologist, decent urologist.

No fee for parking at the airport when I was there. Could have driven the 2+ hrs and flown out of Spokane but then would have had to pay for parking. Lewiston connects with Boise and Portland/Seattle depending on where you're headed. And TSA was basically a 5 minute wait.

When and if the dams come down, should the rivers return to the pre dam conditions, you likely could wade across the Snake in more than a few places. Pretty sure at the right time of year you can wade the Clearwater most of the year once you're above the high water line outside of Lewiston.

Couple of folks here check in now and again that live in/nearby Lewiston. Maybe they'll post some info for you.

Not sure what you like in restaurant food, but in my experience Lewiston was pretty basic. Down near the Les Schwab there is/was a decent Mexican place. Used to be a decent burger place near Lolo Sporting Goods as I recall. As for fine dining???????????????? Here's a clue, I wanted veal for my birthday one year, went to a well known Italian place there, didn't see it on the menu. Asked the 20 something waitress if they had veal perhaps...........her answer "What's veal?"

I knew folks lived on the WA side of the border near there that hunted ID most years if that tells you anything. And they usually did pretty well. Lots of quail, pheasant, and chuckar if your willing to hunt the walls of the Canyon. Huns up in the farmland too.

I think the best things about aging for the wife and I. No need for any kind of TV to speak of. Documentary stuff like You Tube/ Prime if its dark outside and we have to. And the fact that we have about zero desire to eat out anymore so to speak.

I don’t understand why folks differentiate between TV and internet streamers. It’s a virtue signal. Period.

It cracks me up. "get off mah lawn!"

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I grew up in Pullman in the 70's and Lewiston was always stinky but I went back in 2018 and it didn't stink anymore. There is a great restaurant called "Sharp's Burger Ranch" and they even have a Jack O'Connor museum. It was surprisingly hot in July even for a visiting Texan. Lewiston is out there and you'll have to travel a ways to get to a big airport or find big city amenities.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We moved to Winchester Id four years ago , great small town . pretty much in the middle between Lewiston and Grangeville. Im about 400 yds to a small lake,great fishing.
From where I came from, this town is like moving to Mayberry !
Im with Valsdad, sure dont need a fast north-south Hiway !!

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kenster99
We moved to Winchester Id four years ago , great small town . pretty much in the middle between Lewiston and Grangeville. Im about 400 yds to a small lake,great fishing.
From where I came from, this town is like moving to Mayberry !
Im with Valsdad, sure dont need a fast north-south Hiway !!

How are home values in Winchester? Looks like nice country.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I heard someone call it the armpit of Idaho.

Opinion?

If it's the armpit Pocatello is the butthole.

Bb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Whiptail
I grew up in Pullman in the 70's and Lewiston was always stinky but I went back in 2018 and it didn't stink anymore. There is a great restaurant called "Sharp's Burger Ranch" and they even have a Jack O'Connor museum. It was surprisingly hot in July even for a visiting Texan. Lewiston is out there and you'll have to travel a ways to get to a big airport or find big city amenities.
I always just flew out of Lewiston. Decent number of flights daily and finding one heading to the connecting airport of my choice was never an issue.

The big city amenities are a different deal..................some of us don't need, or necessarily want, them very often, if at all.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey, hey, hey! Watch it, buddy! You're in reach..... wink.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Westman , home prices are high, and not much for sale, except junk .

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dutch, who's that reply for ?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by kenster99
Westman , home prices are high, and not much for sale, except junk .

Seems to be the story in a lot of the nicer places,

We are looking for a place to relocate to. Need to flee this [bleep] state we live in now.

Back a few decades I lived in Sandpoint and liked it but way too pricey these days...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

BB, you snuck your reply in before that knothead!

geez, all the good guys have left..... wink

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch

Gotcha,

but I was thinking maybe you were over here delivering materials again and I'd get you a coffee or lunch tomorrow.

In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was chukar hunting in Lewiston in 1989.

That was mountain climbing with a shotgun.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Gotcha,

but I was thinking maybe you were over here delivering materials again and I'd get you a coffee or lunch tomorrow.

Haven’t been to Modoc myself in a few years; it’s my turn to buy lunch next time.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Gotcha,

Haven’t been to Modoc myself in a few years; it’s my turn to buy lunch next time.
Let me know when you get over this way again for sure.

Bring something to take to the range if you've got the time. We can just eat lunch there. Or, I have enough crap we can play with.

Last edited by Valsdad; 02/08/24.

In it is contentment

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 26 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,101
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.