Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by AKislander
Just wipe it now and then with a little oil or crisco to keep it from looking "dry." Usually the oil you cook in will keep it seasoned pretty well.

It's important to not use any soap when you clean it! Just use hot water and a scrubber of some sort to clean it.

It’s actually OK to use a bit of modern liquid dish soap.

It was the older soaps with lye that were hard on cast iron.

+1.

I use dawn on mine every now and again.

Very true. Just nothing with lye in it.

That said, to really “re-season” a CI, a soak in lye and water will get it down to bare iron, then you can reseason from there. Avocado oil is great as it has a higher smoke point.

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I run water as hot as I can get it on my fry pans, then wipe off the rest with a paper towel.
PJ

Then I re coat lightly with high heat grape seed oil that the pan is seasoned with. leaves a pretty good non stick for the griswolds

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a general observation, I suspect women have a primal trigger at any man's mention of a fishy odor.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To quote Bill Dance………if your wife is pissed, go buy a new tractor. She will still be pissed but you’ll have a new tractor.

I can honestly say I pretty much did that about 4 years back. I have a 50 HP Mahindra tractor !

Thanks, Billy
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Avocado oil works very well for seasoning. It doesn't smoke nearly as much as other veggie oils.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I spent the first half of my life living in camps on remote jobs, always making a point to befriending the cook(s). Just observing over the years I never saw any cook use any water on the big 6 foot flattop grills. They all used a combination of scraper, burlap and very rarely a grill stone. They made cast iron maintenance look quick and easy, no magic oils or procedures.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in Scouts, our troop only cooked from cast iron. Never used soap, would boil them clean, then oil while still hot

it was labor intensive but that's how they wanted it done.

wife has a really nice cast iron pan she keeps on the stove. Its all hers. I don't even want to touch it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO
As a general observation, I suspect women have a primal trigger at any man's mention of a fishy odor.

Too F'ing funny!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
wife works and lives mostly in Miami. I hate that place and spend most of my time in north FL at our other home. We rarely ever have a fight or disagreement. lol

Sam......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I spent the first half of my life living in camps on remote jobs, always making a point to befriending the cook(s). Just observing over the years I never saw any cook use any water on the big 6 foot flattop grills. They all used a combination of scraper, burlap and very rarely a grill stone. They made cast iron maintenance look quick and easy, no magic oils or procedures.

Thank you!! I'm not saying the other methods constantly advised as what to do, do not work as a end result, but they sure as heck are not necessary. I don't know who could use cast iron more in the last 20 yrs than we do. Rarely go out to eat and cast iron has been used almost exclusively.

One of many reasons we use them is the ease of clean up and maintenance. If we had to go through some of these routines recommended 3 or 4 times a day, every day, the use of them would have been limited a very long time ago.

Start out with a clean bare pan, season it well. Scrape out cooking residue when necessary with a metal spatula or scraper, wipe clean with a paper towel, and put away. Done.

No hot water, no soap, nothing else. No re-seasoning. However using the other methods, yes re-seasoning would be necessary very regularly. But that's because the methods are making it necessary. It's not hard.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Papalongdog: Take that cast iron skillet down to the beach along with a pair of heavy gloves - sit down in the sand and scrub the inside of that skillet with sand for 10 minutes.
Problem solved.
The sand along the Columbia River (near Vantage, taxington) is especially good for this procedure - I assume the sand on down toward the Willamette country would work as well.
Good luck - ignore the nastiness of the wife - she will be back to normal forth with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KFWA
in Scouts, our troop only cooked from cast iron. Never used soap, would boil them clean, then oil while still hot

it was labor intensive but that's how they wanted it done.

wife has a really nice cast iron pan she keeps on the stove. Its all hers. I don't even want to touch it.
Don't see much difference between boiling and soap. Both remove oil. I use a small soap solution on occasion and it's never removed the seasoning.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yea well, it was how they had done it for 20 years, it was just tradition I guess

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I got tired of my Lodge pan being so porous so I took my orbital sander with 80, 120 and 220 grit to the pan.. The food sticks much less and is easier to clean . It took about a half hour.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

346 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1_deuce, 50 invisible), 15,106 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,104
Posts18,541,838
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.