Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Compass deviation, magnetic variables, etc all lead to inaccurate courses. Confirming their position with a sextant doesn’t work during the day or with cloud cover. If conditions are not favorable for using a sextant they can get serious refraction errors too. Knowing where you are in a 3 dimensional space is not always simple and not accounting for the international date line can throw navigation off. Variation differs and must be plotted accurately others being 2 degrees off over hundreds or thousands of miles can equal a HUGE miss.

Can’t use a sextant during the day? I’ve taken dozens of accurate noon sights. Bowditch is your friend.

Thanks - saved me the trouble. Sextant can be used just fine in the day.
Rex

Capt. Philip Weems offered instructional celestial navigation to Amelia, too late, before her journey. After the war, Charles Blair made the first solo trans-polar flight in a P-51 Mustang using Weems navigation tables.

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/...ian-adventurer-turned-cold-war-navigator

https://timeandnavigation.si.edu/multimedia-asset/astrocompass-mark-ii

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by DMc
Imagery looks like a swept wing plane. Amelia Earhart's plane was a straight wing. So what is it we're being distracted from?

I think your right, looks more like a jet of some sort than a Lockheed Martin.

I can't believe they'd make a claim like that without putting eyes on it unless they were told to........

Just FYI: It was just Lockheed back then.

"The Lockheed Martin Corporation is an American aerospace, arms, defense, information security, and technology corporation with worldwide interests. It was formed by the merger of Lockheed Corporation with Martin Marietta in March 1995."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin

Lockheed Model 10 Electra
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Model_10_Electra

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Cheers! Bob F. smile

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Compass deviation, magnetic variables, etc all lead to inaccurate courses. Confirming their position with a sextant doesn’t work during the day or with cloud cover. If conditions are not favorable for using a sextant they can get serious refraction errors too. Knowing where you are in a 3 dimensional space is not always simple and not accounting for the international date line can throw navigation off. Variation differs and must be plotted accurately others being 2 degrees off over hundreds or thousands of miles can equal a HUGE miss.

Can’t use a sextant during the day? I’ve taken dozens of accurate noon sights. Bowditch is your friend.

Thanks - saved me the trouble. Sextant can be used just fine in the day.
Rex

If you can’t see celestial bodies and you’re in cloud cover without any reference points, ie over open ocean, how do you determine your position?….you don’t. I was pretty unclear in my reply but I was specifically speaking to the Earhart flight.

If you don’t have a single point of reference let alone 3 how effective is a sextant?

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I did a little reading last night, Earhart would time her departures so that her she'd take off in the afternoon and fly dead reckoning until it got dark. The bulk of the flight would be at night so they could use celestial navigation, take a final fix before daylight and then land an hour after sunrise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not the plane.

Gardner/ Nikumaroro Island.

Case Closed.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
I did a little reading last night, Earhart would time her departures so that her she'd take off in the afternoon and fly dead reckoning until it got dark. The bulk of the flight would be at night so they could use celestial navigation, take a final fix before daylight and then land an hour after sunrise.

I had read similar about their navigational procedures and that’s where I was coming from. I’m NOT competent with sextant navigation or getting a positional fix by sextant so I’m just going by my limited knowledge of sextant use. I know that they, like most things, are reliant on the accuracy of the inputs so unless you are getting a good clear look at celestial bodies or other “fixed” objects….garbage data in=garbage data out which is not a good thing when trying to navigate safely.

Their approach to Howland island was during the day, in overcast or “hazy” conditions which forced them down to 1000’agl. I’m not sure how useful a sextant would be in that case but in my limited experience it would be worthless until the conditions were favorable. Flying DR during the afternoon so they could use the sextant at night and get good positional fixes makes perfect sense to me, but again I’m not knowledgeable enough about sextants to make definitive statements about them. 😀

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Not the plane.

Case Closed.

No fuel to get there.

Case closed.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I had read similar about their navigational procedures and that’s where I was coming from. I’m NOT competent with sextant navigation or getting a positional fix by sextant so I’m just going by my limited knowledge of sextant use. I know that they, like most things, are reliant on the accuracy of the inputs so unless you are getting a good clear look at celestial bodies or other “fixed” objects….garbage data in=garbage data out which is not a good thing when trying to navigate safely.

Their approach to Howland island was during the day, in overcast or “hazy” conditions which forced them down to 1000’agl. I’m not sure how useful a sextant would be in that case but in my limited experience it would be worthless until the conditions were favorable. Flying DR during the afternoon so they could use the sextant at night and get good positional fixes makes perfect sense to me, but again I’m not knowledgeable enough about sextants to make definitive statements about them. 😀
👌
While I've been in the cockpit of an EC/KC-135 while the navigator and boom operator were working together taking sextant shots I've never been personally walked through the process like I was for radar navigation. I had a rough idea of what they were doing though the math escapes me. 135's have a sextant port where the sextant actually protrudes out of the aircraft into the airstream.
Research the SR-71 navigation system for a really interesting use of celestial navigation...

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Interesting. In the process of getting my USCG 100 ton Master’s license the sextant proficiency is not taught. If I recall correctly going up to 500 ton or unlimited the sextant training is measured in weeks. A friend of mine who is a retired USCG unlimited rating Skipper and a former Polar Star and Polar Sea captain was telling me that just to be certified to work on the gyro compasses the electronic techs take a minimum 5 week school on just the gyro. 😀

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Not the plane.

Case Closed.

No fuel to get there.

Case closed.

Correct radar rider hence the reason they perished there.

Opened and shut.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
That airplane sure looks like the Beach 18’s that fly the northern camps in Canada and the Yukon, tho those are generally equipped with floats.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Story I heard recently was that there were 2 identical planes with an Amelia lookalike flying the other plane. Not sure why. Remember, this was back when people could keep a secret. People believed in National Security. No social media. No mass media 24 hour news feeds.

Ron

Did jag tell you that?

Seriously.
I was thinking the exact same thing. 🤣

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just got confirmation that her plane has been found. It is not in the ocean as many have speculated. It is in a jungle and a plate from an engine belonging to Amelia Earhart has been identified…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Just got confirmation that her plane has been found. It is not in the ocean as many have speculated. It is in a jungle and a plate from an engine belonging to Amelia Earhart has been identified…

Not under the runway on Saipan? wink

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Which island?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
News Flash! I just got confirmation that shrapnel got confirmation that her plane has been found. I'll confirm further details as shrap makes them available. Signed, Jimmy Olson.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Which island?

Jamaica

Me

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
RAM and foo be burnin’ up ol’ shrap’s pm box as we speak.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Osky
That airplane sure looks like the Beach 18’s that fly the northern camps in Canada and the Yukon, tho those are generally equipped with floats.

Osky

Looks like she graduated to an F86 or Mig15, but that’s just me.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Teal

Which island?

Jamaica

I see what you’re smokin’ brah.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 222ND, 1lessdog, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,111
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.