Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I actually make quite a bit of money fixing hog damage in clients pastures... smile

Run this ridged harrow over lots of ground!

Flattens out big gopher mounds too!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks, I been wondering how to fix my meadows this spring

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Texas Agriculture Daily
Researchers noted the bait is not considered acutely toxic to non-target animals if they do gain limited access to the bait.

What could possibly go wrong?

Drag a bunch of hundred dollar bills through a university department head's office and see what you get. I'm not saying legitimate science was not employed here, but it sure is a rare thing these days.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I actually make quite a bit of money fixing hog damage in clients pastures... smile

Hey Barry! Our grand champion rocks would do a number on that harrow!🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Lol. Meanwhile the "trophy" hogs are eating the farmers out of house and home.

I must be doing it wrong... grin

I have never paid a dime to shoot hogs, and do so on a very regular basis. Got ranches to hunt hogs on that I can't find time to get to.

While there are a few hunting operations that charge hunters willing to pay for that, there's 10 times more farmers and ranchers who don't, and want the hogs gone.... and call people like me.

Got a good friend down here that is a govt hunter. They put him totally on hog duty only. No coyotes anymore. He kills more hogs that the plague. Reckon he pays to hunt them? wink

Me neither rock. I've got a couple of friends with places I can shoot all I want whenever I want. I just let them know when I want to go, show them pics of what we whacked, and receive an "attaboy" or "high five", rinse, repeat. Last weekend I whacked 8, my wife killed 3, and saw at least 100 more cross his 80 acre wheat field to get to the neighbor's bermuda grass field. It's a great way to test loads, bullets, scopes, rifles, rf/binos, etc......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gut shoot the bastards, lead poison is the best way, everyone can decide what's best for them, but that's the way we do it

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Angus, we know the difference between a cow and a hog. This is what I mean. If ya dont want anyone there , just say so. It's your land, but don't think us " Yankee City Boys " dont know what a hog looks like. However, on the other hand, I don't want to see one cent of government money going to klll the hogs. I'm not mad at ya! . I think it's only fair. I'm sure The guy I offered my cabin to would have known to lock the door when he leaves. On the other hand, I am starting to wonder if Kaywoodie is right. They are really not that big of a problem. Why is it not that big of a problem for him? Now that I think of it,, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Upper Michigan , Idaho, Montana and Wyoming have the perfect remedy to get rid of 90% of them... We will give you all our timber wolves for free. That will solve much of the problem. SNicker.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/02/24.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

We just flip a cattle guard for the gopher mounds (after poison grain applied by burrow builder).
Generally just use a regular blade for the prairie dog mounds, though.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by ihookem
Angus, we know the difference between a cow and a hog. This is what I mean. If ya dont want anyone there , just say so. It's your land, but don't think us " Yankee City Boys " dont know what a hog looks like. However, on the other hand, I don't want to see one cent of government money going to klll the hogs. I'm not mad at ya! . I think it's only fair. I'm sure The guy I offered my cabin to would have known to lock the door when he leaves. On the other hand, I am starting to wonder if Kaywoodie is right. They are really not that big of a problem. Why is it not that big of a problem for him? Now that I think of it,, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Upper Michigan , Idaho, Montana and Wyoming have the perfect remedy to get rid of 90% of them... We will give you all our timber wolves for free. That will solve much of the problem. SNicker.

I’m just going off of what happens here, locally. We have no agricultural operation going on here except cattle. In this part of the world overgrazing by livestock is 10 times more destructive that hogs

I do know that historically speaking there have been wild hogs sequestered in small enclaves in Texas for over 150 years. When I was a kid 50-60 years ago we always knew of the ones in Llano co. Only 20 miles from the ranch where I live. I know of ranches there that have had them for at least 150 years.

What happened in the past 20-30 years? They are all over now. What I think happened is the popularity of game feeders making feed more readily accessible. Everyone with a damn acre of land has a feeder on it!
When I was a kid, no one around here had feeders. And we killed deer. If you would have told me 30 years ago we would have a hog problem, I’d said you was crazy. Even at my old place 60 miles east of here. Shot hogs there off front porch of old house. Just my unscientific observations.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/02/24.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hogs can be a big problem for Farmers or anyone that produces crops, but from experience we have found Hog hunters are a bigger problem, it's much easier to just say NO!! and put up with the hogs than to deal with most Hog Hunters. you would be amazed at the Hunters ?? that send us P.M.s and E-Mails that are pissed off because we don't want them shooting Pigs on our place, almost every time we say NO we get Schitt from these entitled hunters. YMMV Rio7

IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I wonder how it works on the Longhorns.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hook, you’re smarter than a lot of these dumb ass road hunters that I have to patrol the country roads around here in Deer season from OKC, I think they will shoot any thing, young people don’t grow up with a gun in there hand like we did, the basics of shooting around livestock was ground in, met a guy couple days ago up here in western Ok quail hunting, saw his truck around for couple weeks with big dog box, any he was from Illinois, nicest guy you’ll ever met, offered me a mess of quail, he said there state is just like most Democrat [bleep] hole’s, 85 percent is conservative.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
The biggest problem I see with this new toxicant is that it is available "for use by licensed pesticide applicators ."

It also takes 3 weeks to "condition" the pigs to eat the feed and use the "approved" feeders before they apply the poison.

The it takes a few days of eating the stuff before the pig croaks.

All that means that a licensed applicator will need to spend a month or so going to your land and selling you the "approved" feeders, the feed and his services.

That is going to get spendy really fast!

Would be a lot more fun to spend the funds on a new AR, night vision scope and some tannerite. smile

It requires a license (by federal law) to apply pesticides with powered equipment. That includes Round-up and 2-4D. The vast majority of insecticides and herbicides applied by ranchers or farmers are restricted use and require a licensed applicator.

Thus, most small farmers carry an applicator's license and the large corporate farms have an applicator on staff.

I carried a commercial applicator's license for sixteen years. It takes about eight hours per year training to keep it current.

The baiting process described for pig eradication is very similar to the process I used for control of pigeons. Pigeons, like hogs, are neophobic. It takes them some time to learn to approach a new feeder, and longer to learn that a new food source is safe.

When the feeder setup and bait application is done in house by licensed personnel, it will just be five minutes added to the work day.

In regards to safety of warfarin use. Warfarin was used quite safely on farmsteads and city sewers for decades for control of rodents. It only fell out of favor as rodents became resistant to it. When the hogs gain such resistance, we have a plethora of second generation anticoagulants to take the place of Warfarin.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I would suppose the biggest threat hogs pose here would be with nesting birds and animals and young fawn deer. And the occasional coastal field. But that’s about the extent of any kind of crop per se. But we still have deer, turkeys and the occasional quail ( which is surprising).

Ranch SW of us still bales Klein grass out of about a 50-60 acre field. But I’ve seen no hog damage in it.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/02/24.

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
This might not wipe them totally out, but it has to be a step in the right direction!

Texas A&M has developed an effective and safe toxin to kill feral swine!
Texas farmers will rejoice!

https://texasfarmbureau.org/toxicant-available-to-help-farmers-ranchers-control-feral-hogs/

Are you talking about DemocRAT style feral Swines? Or JUST PIGS?

The first example motivates me, the second one, not so much.

If only......!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I have never paid a dime to shoot hogs, and do so on a very regular basis. Got ranches to hunt hogs on that I can't find time to get to.

While there are a few hunting operations that charge hunters willing to pay for that, there's 10 times more farmers and ranchers who don't, and want the hogs gone.... and call people like me.

Got a good friend down here that is a govt hunter. They put him totally on hog duty only. No coyotes anymore. He kills more hogs that the plague. Reckon he pays to hunt them? wink

Me neither rock. I've got a couple of friends with places I can shoot all I want whenever I want. I just let them know when I want to go, show them pics of what we whacked, and receive an "attaboy" or "high five", rinse, repeat. Last weekend I whacked 8, my wife killed 3, and saw at least 100 more cross his 80 acre wheat field to get to the neighbor's bermuda grass field. It's a great way to test loads, bullets, scopes, rifles, rf/binos, etc......

Lol. You're right on top of them! You should kill 100 a week!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Couple of eaters. Rio7

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I would suppose the biggest threat hogs pose here would be with nesting birds and animals and young fawn deer. And the occasional coastal field. But that’s about the extent of any kind of crop per se. But we still have deer, turkeys and the occasional quail ( which is surprising).

Ranch SW of us still bales Klein grass out of about a 50-60 acre field. But I’ve seen no hog damage in it.

I think they’ve pretty much decimated our quail population here. We use to have both blues (scaled) and bobwhites at the Ranch before the hogs moved in around the mid to late 1980’s. In the last 20 years, I haven’t seen but one small covey of blues, and rarely see the bobwhites any more.

We basically quit planting milo because of the hogs.
And I’ve watched them go down the rows after we plant cotton and dig up the damn seeds. 😡
And dig huge ruts and wallows in the wheat fields.
Hard on tractors and plows.
I think they must’ve migrated to this area following the Clear Fork of the Brazos to the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos.

In the 90’s when all the surrounding farms and Ranches started getting sold off to DFW area Dr’s & Lawyers as “hunting properties”, feeders started appearing everywhere. I think like you mentioned earlier, Bob, that’s a big part of it.
Used to be a lot of the what I call “high dollar” quail hunters that leased a lot of the neighboring farms and ranches. Now I rarely see those type of hunters.
Mostly trophy deer hunters and hog hunters nowadays.
Still a few outfitters in the area that do Sandhill Crane and Duck hunts.
I can’t kill enough to make a dent in the population.
Friend and Famy kill some too.
Like Barry said, shooting makes them go nocturnal or move for a short time. They always return. Seems in larger numbers. Trapping or Helicopter shoots is about the only thing that actually makes a dent in the population.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
"... shooting makes them go nocturnal or move for a short time. ..."

Trap them in the same spot or with the same trap, they will become trap shy!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

If you're a "local" and the landowners know you, you're good to go.

Now, if a "hunter" is willing to pay for the "right" to hunt hogs, why should the landowner NOT make a profit?

P.S. - I have several places I can hog hunt for free, but it took years to develope them.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 02/03/24.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (257 mag, 160user, 270wsmnutt, 2500HD, 21, 1936M71, 27 invisible), 12,499 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,165
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.