Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have been high centered on the frozen ruts in the driveway a couple times. Does that count?

Throw a High Lift jack under the back bumper. Lift both wheels a foot above road level and give the rig a push sideways.

Toss the jack in the back and proceed to work.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Ditch or barrow pit.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Once came upon a car in the sandy ditch that had black smoke rolling. It was the local tribes chief, tilted back in the seat, foot on the gas with tires burning.

He actually thought he was cruising home at 60 mph! What an interesting scene.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Defined as:

A bar or borrow ditch is a roadside channel dug for drainage purposes. Typically, the dirt is "borrowed" from the ditch, and used to crown the road.

Call them borrow pits here in the NW.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Defined as:

A bar or borrow ditch is a roadside channel dug for drainage purposes. Typically, the dirt is "borrowed" from the ditch, and used to crown the road.

Call them borrow pits here in the NW.

Same up in the oil patch in Western Canada and if you have driven 50,000 miles in all weather up there ,When have you not been in a ditch .

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, hit the brakes to avoid a bull elk that ran across the road and skidded into the deep/muddy ditch. A very good big 4wd truck - but would not grip and back out. Hiked a mile or more home, got the old wrecker and my wife and we pulled the truck back onto the road.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Never been in a ditch in front of a bar before.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wife blew a tire and lost control on a washboard road. Truck was up side down and cab in the ditch with the bed flat on the
road. Truck was a total loss. Good part was the other side of the road was a steep drop off. Wife and girls were ok other than a couple stiches on my wifes head. That was in 2000

Me,this past Monday buried the front end of my F250 in the bar ditch. Frame was on the road and no traction. High lift was at home and doubt it would have helped. Spent the night at the truck as my buddy had walked out for help. 27 miles on foot from 2:00pm to 8am before he found help. Two bird hunters picked him up and pulled the truck out.
They wouldn’t take any money. I have pulled 3 vehicles out. One a paraplegic woman who drove out on a dry looking lake bed.
Thanks to those chuckar hunters who took the time to help a couple of strangers.
A Garmin Inreach is in my future. Our wives and kids were worried. My daughter had notified the sheriffs office. Im not sure what all my wife and daughter told the deputies, but one told my wife he would like to hang out with me sometime.
Haha.

Last edited by 338reddog; 02/02/24.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Arkansas Combine Trap. Always in the middle of a field with no winch anchor. Dig a hole, bury a tire, tie off, winch your ass out.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 02/02/24.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a bar ditch, but a big damn snowdrift!.
Me and my buddies were out drifting in The Old Man’s Scout one evening.
Drifting for you southerners is where you take a 4 wheel drive out, and try to (actually not to😀) get stuck in a snowdrift. You hopefully hit it with enough speed to carry you through.
It’s fun if you have a couple of friends and a couple of shovels!😀
We were out an a ridge, running through drifts, and I forgot where I was at, trying to climb a bank.
It looked like a straight grade, and it is in most places, but I got halfway up the bank and the ground fell away.
I sank that freakin Scout up to the door handles!🤬 There was no way that the 3 of us were gonna shovel our way outta this hole. Those guys were ready to kill me!😆 💀
Not having a winch, we walked to my cousins house and got him to come rescue us with a tractor!😀
The Old Man never found out!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not a bar ditch, but a big damn snowdrift!.
Me and my buddies were out drifting in The Old Man’s Scout one evening.
Drifting for you southerners is where you take a 4 wheel drive out, and try to (actually not to😀) get stuck in a snowdrift. You hopefully hit it with enough speed to carry you through.
It’s fun if you have a couple of friends and a couple of shovels!😀
We were out an a ridge, running through drifts, and I forgot where I was at, trying to climb a bank.
It looked like a straight grade, and it is in most places, but I got halfway up the bank and the ground fell away.
I sank that freakin Scout up to the door handles!🤬 There was no way that the 3 of us were gonna shovel our way outta this hole. Those guys were ready to kill me!😆 💀
Not having a winch, we walked to my cousins house and got him to come rescue us with a tractor!😀
The Old Man never found out!
Reon

Kinda like this…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old VFW had a rock the size of a big SUV on the edge of the parking lot. You couldn’t miss it, freaking thing was huge.
But The Old Man had a couple more than he should have and forgot that rock was there.
He tore the bumper and the taillight housing clean of a 77 Cordoba!
I was only a teenager, had just got my license. I was smart enough to not ask him
what happened, Dave wasn’t!🤬
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The bar ditch is just this side of the bobwire.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see you been there and done that too😀!!&

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by reivertom
Tell me what a bar ditch is, and I'll think on it a while. I've been in several regular old ditches, and got out several different ways. The craziest one was, I got pulled out by a logging mule in the early 1970s. The logger told me what ever I do, don't honk the horn. I asked him why, and he said last time he pulled a car out, the lady honked the horn and his mule got spooked and took off with the car through a muddy creek bottom corn field. After I saw how easy the mule pulled me out, I believed him.

A bar ditch is the small trench created on each dirt road side after the grader has surfaced the road crown for both reconditioning & water run off. Though very shallow, less than a foot normally, it can be quite soft & mushy. On a typical red dirt road, having considerable clay content, your vehicle will easily slide into it and be stuck to the point that it will continually track your wheels despite countersteering.

don't think I have ever seen one that shallow, 2 to 6' more like it...bob

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Woke up going 60mph halfway in the ditch once south of Scobey and once on the interstate east of Butte.

That road south of Scobey is particularly unforgiving of such behavior.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by reivertom
Tell me what a bar ditch is, and I'll think on it a while. I've been in several regular old ditches, and got out several different ways. The craziest one was, I got pulled out by a logging mule in the early 1970s. The logger told me what ever I do, don't honk the horn. I asked him why, and he said last time he pulled a car out, the lady honked the horn and his mule got spooked and took off with the car through a muddy creek bottom corn field. After I saw how easy the mule pulled me out, I believed him.

A bar ditch is the small trench created on each dirt road side after the grader has surfaced the road crown for both reconditioning & water run off. Though very shallow, less than a foot normally, it can be quite soft & mushy. On a typical red dirt road, having considerable clay content, your vehicle will easily slide into it and be stuck to the point that it will continually track your wheels despite countersteering.

These were known as "borrow ditches" in ancient times - like the '50's and '60's. smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Barrow ditch. Most around here pronounce it bar ditch

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
More than once.

Life is good live it while you can.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m in the Big Dave crowd on the definition. They borrowed dirt from an adjacent field to build the roadbed up. Borrow pit became barpit. Especially true in the flat land of the Mississippi Delta. Some even have good fishing in them.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 42 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 1,139 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,213
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.