Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Plural is not possessive.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
One more thing. The first flow of nectar in the spring brings the best honey for consumption. Late spring/early summer the honey will be slightly darker. Late summer it'll be dark. I used to leave one full shallow super for the bees to consume over the winter. When I lived in Baton Rouge there used to be a lot of beehives on the Levee near the Mississippi River. All spring white clover, wonderful honey. Haven't been there in a while so don't know if that's still a practice or not.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
Harvest all your honey from the honey supers and the hives. Here in Mn, the bees are gonna die in the winter anyway. I’ve winterized my hives every year at great expense and effort only to lose 80% of my hives in mid-winter. Even this year with the mild winter and a severe, long cold snap I’ve already lost all 3 of my hives. The heck with winterizing, I’m taking all their winter honey stores and buying new packages in the spring. I can’t crack the code to keeping them through the winter.

That's what my brother in Fairbanks used to do- order new every spring, harvest all the honey in the fall.

One year he had a lot of wild blueberry syrup and jelly that froze and broke the quart jars over winter. We set these out for his bees when the arrived, and boy, did they clean that up, resulting in slightly blue colored, and slightly blue-berry flavored honey. It was excellent!

Last edited by las; 02/03/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Check with your state Department of Agriculture for local clubs bee keepers.
Some states are more into bees than others, but ALL should have a big interest.

Work with adjoining farms and block your bees if the farms start spraying!

Last edited by LouisB; 02/03/24.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, i've thought about the crop dusters also. I have about a 500yd wooded buffer between where my bees will be and where the rice fields are. However I need to check with a guy that has a lot of hives about 10 miles from me and see what he does with his when the planes are spraying. His hives are on the turn roads right next to the crops.

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Keep your hives clean. Monitor your queens. Pull your supers and harvest frames of honey during the honey flow. Provide them with supplemental feeding and pollen patties. Learn about the "alpha bees" that run things in the hives. Use good pro and treatment them like a loaded gun. They provide a great deal of enjoyment.

Last edited by kaboku68; 02/03/24.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Set them up as far as possible away from any type of traffic including people. Too much traffic will cause they to leave.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So far, I've been fortunate enough to not have to "buy" bees.
All my bees have come from "cut outs".
I currently have 3 hives.

I have two 10 frame hives and several 7 frame hives.
A 10 frame honey super CAN contain 10 pounds of honey per frame. I can't handle 100 pounds anymore! 🥵
Therefore, I use 7 frame.

If you're looking for a hobby to make some extra money, try something else. Unless you get into commercial beekeeping, it's not very profitable.

First, gather up all the tools and equipment you'll need, THEN buy the bees.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

A 10 frame honey super CAN contain 10 pounds of honey per frame. I can't handle 100 pounds anymore! 🥵

If you're looking for a hobby to make some extra money, try something else. Unless you get into commercial beekeeping, it's not very profitable.

I Think I have everything I need. Got 2 smokers (one for spare) spare boxes and frames with wax foundation, suit, tools etc. The only thing I don't have is some kind of feed patty or any of the medical treatments. I will find out from the keepers what's best to treat them with around here, and what I should feed them until everything starts blooming.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gamma4diesel
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer

I Think I have everything I need. Got 2 smokers (one for spare) spare boxes and frames with wax foundation, suit, tools etc. The only thing I don't have is some kind of feed patty or any of the medical treatments. I will find out from the keepers what's best to treat them with around here, and what I should feed them until everything starts blooming.

My buddy who started me beekeeping, uses those throw away aluminum pie pans.
Mix sugar and water until it just kinda blobs up. You don't want it soupy. Bake it in an oven until it hardens. Use it as bee feed.
I don't make the patties, I just sprinkle loose sugar on top of the inside cover. They still eat it.
Around Christmas, grab several boxes of peppermint candies. The bees love them, varroa mites hate them. Won't STOP the mites, but it helps.
DO NOT feed the pollen patties until spring. Anytime before and it encourages "bee production". Too many young bees and your colony will over feed on it's winter food stores.

Beekeeping can be very rewarding, frustrating, puzzling, etc, etc. Just about the time you think you have them figured out, you figure out you don't know squat! LOL!

The bee group I belong to feels that captured feral bees are healthier that purchased bees. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 02/03/24.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Did not know that about the patties. Thanks for the information. Also will try the peppermints..I have a big pile of candy canes from the xmas tree the kids didn’t eat. Might try them. I have 2 entrance feeders I was going to use, but I might try something else depending on recommendatios from experienced keepers.
I just ordered some Apivar strips just as a precaution, along with some patties and my spacers. All I’m missing is the bees now.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
My dad had a few bees 40 years ago. Maybe 4 hives. He enjoyed it but you have to tend to them or else. When he moved he sold them to a guy that had to have them. I know the guy that bought them and he does not take care of nothing. All the bees died right away. I think it’s a good hobby. I can remember him complaining about moths and remember him feeding the bees in the winter. Best of luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1234, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 48 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,767
Posts18,515,406
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.