Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Finally got around to making this little three minute deal of my first calling stand pick. Got map pics showing the terrain and what not so hopefully y'all can see something I didn't

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Set up at the point of structure so they have to come into the open, keep wind in favor, into face or cross wind.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Try calling more than once every five minutes. Looks like a neat place to hunt, good luck

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
to me it appears like too much talking and movement, plus trampling the call set area.
They have the advantage of cover for a look around before backing out unseen.
A face net and non contrasting clothing.
I take a pic of myself in the setting I hunt, like with trees,dirt or rockpile and convert it to sepia or black and white. If your clothes or camo are good it will blend. A bad article of clothing color wise can stand out like a neon sign.
This may be the toughest time of year to learn being after big game hunting season and the beginning of breeding season.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Not an expert, but the rabbit distress seems to be less effective than it used to be.

The boys locally have gone to vocalizations.

Plus...if there are many coyotes around....we don't see many fox.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 01/02/24.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
there is always air movement in some direction always take a wind directional bottle of white powder , stay up wind always, i like the mouse rubber hand sweaker best , maybe use a 12 gauge with buckshot right at sunset or pink light in mourning.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
M
You might just be a victim of time of day. I have been hunting coyotes for a long time. I am a full blown addict. That being said, the wind comment was dead on. You will never fool their nose. I have had coyote hunting spots that early in the morning they don't produce. Go there just before sundown and two or three respond. Other spots vice versa. Try different times. Also, if there are dogs running loose in the area, that is going to cause you problems.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
way to much noise, way to much scent, didn't pack a shot gun, sneak in and make your set quickly, you will be given information on how long to sit as the stand develops. Are they vocal? do you see them? Are you gaining confidence or losing it as you sit? sit for at least 5 minutes after turning off call. good luck!

Thank The Lord for imr4064!
-I don't always run a hoe; but when I do I hit the pipe
Bergara sidekick .223 wylde
Bergara B14 ridge 6.5 creedmoor
Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have here in Maryland and have hunted them five different times. No results. My partner tried to hunt them with a mouth blown call from a tree stand and killed one with ease. From the ground with electronic callers has produced nothing. We are blanked on what to do or change. We are hearing the yotes around us in the dark before dawn. But have not even scene one. Let alone had a shot at one. They are a puzzle we are not able to solve.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
sounds like you need to push to them, use coyote vocals, they know something is up and are warning one another. get aggressive with them. you can put too much pressure on them and they can move the den if you make them too nervous. letting a place rest never hurts either.

Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
IC B3

M
M
Once it clicks, you will never look back. I wish you good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What did you do wrong? Well, ya didn't go with T.R........

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They hate to admit it, but the "celebrity" coyotes hunters main reason for success is the amount of land and quality of land that they have. Woods are tough, they can smell you and you never even see them, some places I hunt, it don't matter if they do try to wind me 400yds out, i'll still have a shot opportunity. the same coyote that comes running in in the wide open is the same coyote that will come running in in the woods, well the same goes for the coyote that will circle you 2,3,4,500 yds out. I have seen them with my own eye pissing and barking and knowing basically right where im at from 500yds. This is all from my personal experience and my opinions. I would consider myself rather successful.

Ruger 57
Dead air Sandman L
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
You need to get concealed and set up blinds or tree stands, not sit out in the open.
Watch the wind direction.
Bait piles work great, especially if you can set up a cell camera to see what's visiting and when.
If you have the funds and are allowed to hunt at night in your local, some type of thermal scanner and thermal/night vision scope.
Remember, your hunting animals that hunt animals in the hunting grounds they know very well.
They almost always take the path of least resistance to get where their going, so plan accordingly.
Good Luck

SJC

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Educated coyotes? Everyone has a Foxpro these days and every one has the exact same calls on them. Dog comes into the call, gets spooked or shot at. They don’t come back to that call again.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve played mostly the same 10 sounds on my caller for the last 20 years, play the same howl and even when I use hand calls, it’s the same sounds I’ve been using since I was 14.

I don’t buy into the “they heard that sound before” mantra. New ears are out there every year. Play the wind, call where coyotes are and be sneaky in and out of your area.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I agree with TWR. Only time coyotes get difficult to call is when someone does a mag. dump on them, takes a long time to forget. different tactics for them but like said there are others around and same sounds work over and over.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What part of the country are you in? How many are hunting that country at night with thermal optics?

How far do you relocate between calling stands?

I wanna say that in my best times, I avaeraged maybe 30 minutes from ignition off to ignition on and moving sites. And I usually relocated a mile or better between stands.

Before you get too serious do a mock set up and video yourself to see how much you move on stand
Learn to set up some sort of decoy, if its just a feather tied to a stick

Park low or out of sight
Know the way to your calling site and how you're going to set up
Move in quietly and quickly
If using an electronic caller, drop it on your way to your site
Learn to not move
Learn to not move
Learn to not move
Expect other critters to respond to the call. Crows, owls, deer, coons, and turkeys have all come to a predator call at times

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cs2blue
We have here in Maryland and have hunted them five different times. No results. My partner tried to hunt them with a mouth blown call from a tree stand and killed one with ease. From the ground with electronic callers has produced nothing. We are blanked on what to do or change. We are hearing the yotes around us in the dark before dawn. But have not even scene one. Let alone had a shot at one. They are a puzzle we are not able to solve.
I was on a stand 2 weeks ago and I was using a mouth call. Twice I had crows show up and check me out. I saw nothing after that. I believe the crows ratted me out to anything in the area. I was not using a blind, I was set up behind some old construction equipment that was long ago abandoned by a corn field on a river bottom.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.