Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thought I’d share some I’m wrapping up right now.
4wt 7.6 trout rod

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Wrapping up a 15ft Spey 10wt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoy that effort except for the tip section that's supporting 80+ percent of the guides. My last was a 16 ft spey that's not been wet yet.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/01/24.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very cool. I love building rods, but it's very addictive and a guy can only have so many expensive hobbies.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
So exactly how tough is it to learn and what are the real life $ savings vs equivalent "factory" rods? No tougher than fairly basic fly patterns? I am thinking a "few" fly rods and maybe a spinning rod, or three!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
All I know is I can build a rod for about $200 or buy one for that price and probably won’t be as good. I like to wait for good sales.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
I enjoy that effort except for the tip section that's supporting 80+ percent of the guides. My last was a 16 ft spey that's not been wet yet.

Ya I get ya when 7 guides and the tip top all on one.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Very cool. I love building rods, but it's very addictive and a guy can only have so many expensive hobbies.
My hobby is fishing so anything fishing related I’m in.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So exactly how tough is it to learn and what are the real life $ savings

Patbrennan:

Going "do it your self" with the exact same components used for factory builds, one saves about 30 to 35%. I.e. a $1000 rod will run about $650-$700. That being said, the wraps, handles, hardware, etc are to your exact specifications and colors as opposed to coming off a shelf. With a bit of surfing, one can find ready to wind kits carrying the full array of components needed for a build. I've used Sage, Orvis, Meiser, Loomis, and Cabelas components, so some are high end ($1200) and others budget ($165) builds.

As to learning: A bit of supervision is helpful on an initial build. There are a few tricks to the trade one should learn (like orienting the spine) and some equipment like rod turners needed to do a professional job on the handles, windings, and epoxy applications. If one is blessed with a good shop nearby, many conduct build classes, with perhaps 1 night a week gatherings where one can be coached a bit, share stories with others, and have access to the basic equipment and knowledge. With 3 to 5 evenings, one could have a rod done.

I'd suggest one initially do a budget package and then subsequently step up to high end gear if he is serious. I got into stock making way back and decided I'd rather screw up a $50 board as opposed to a $700 piece of exhibition walnut on my first run.

Another plus to doing a couple builds is one can often effectively repair his equipment should sh-t hit the fan on some outing. I.e. replace tip tops, broken or bent guides, and repair grips etc.

Basic equipment is an adjustable length rack to hold one's rod section, also supporting some system for holding a spool of thread under tension, and an old rotisserie motor to rotate sections for a consistent application of epoxy over one's windings. About everything needed is depicted in Solitario's images above and it looks like good professional gear.

My first effort (a Sage 9 ft 5wt trout rod) is a little crude looking, but it still brings me pleasure knowing is came from my efforts back in about 1980. My collection goes from 7 ft 2 wts up to 16 ft 10 wt Spey rods. I think I'm short of owning a 3 wt though.

I actually don't even know how many rods I own, but only 3 or 4 came from a catalog and were mostly purchased as loaners.

The good looking guy on the right with the spey rod.
We actually did catch some steelhead that day.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/02/24.

1Minute
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
1Minute, great info, thanks!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by patbrennan
So exactly how tough is it to learn and what are the real life $ savings vs equivalent "factory" rods? No tougher than fairly basic fly patterns? I am thinking a "few" fly rods and maybe a spinning rod, or three!

It’s not very hard to learn. Just watch some YouTube vids and I’m sure you can figure it out as I did. 1minute kinda hit the nail on the head.

For the actual build is finding the spine then wrapping the guides. Gluing the tip top. Most fun reaming out and finding good grips that you like and not plain factory made stuff. As you can buy a lathe and really get into your own grip’s designs. It can be time consuming or whatever you make it as you can do fancy wraps. As you can see I like color.

I found a kit the flex coat rod building kit it was expensive but found a great price on sale for it so I got it as it included everything epoxy to even a spinning motor. But you can build a do it yourself if you look it up as sites will help out.

I bought these blanks on sale for 75$ and originally they can go from $150 to $500+. So I wait for sales. Then for guides, grips, thread, reel seat, and couple other things needed around another $120. Took around $200 to make one and it’s made the way I want.
If your interested can always hit me up I can help out in more detail if you want.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks, I appreciate the info and offer of help!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.