Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by JPro
Great. Now something else I gotta buy.......

I'm gonna end up with one too.

It stinks to pay the 600 bucks (a little less if you get the Vet Discount from Grafs) but man, once you start using it, you'll quickly forget. I enjoy chrono'ing ammo nowadays it is just no trouble anymore and all the data sticks with your phone, so you can look stuff over when you get home.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I need a new phone too damn it. lol. Next thing you know, you bought their watch with the Applied Ballistics software too - walking Radio Shack!

Me

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Teal
I need a new phone too damn it. lol. Next thing you know, you bought their watch with the Applied Ballistics software too - walking Radio Shack!

Nice thing is you don't actually need to use a phone with the Garmin if you don't want. It displays everything on the screen and can be used stand alone.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, the one bad thing about the Garmin is that it tells the truth, LOL. I had purchased some Winchester WXR powder and found some load data for the .280 Rem. I used this as a starting place for my 7x64 and 150 partitions and fired a few by the Garmin this morning only to learn they are traveling about 2500 fps. Good news is the RL19 with 140 TTSX is 2890 and a nice group, but I think I can bump it a little. 7x57 and 140 partitions is 2780 which is spot on with the Nosler book. My question is, how many shots do you need to feel comfortable with the velocity of your handloads? Obviously more is better statistically, but practically?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Is the Garmin, or any radar based chrono, prone to pick up shots from other shooters on the firing line? If so, any way to mitigate?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
Well, the one bad thing about the Garmin is that it tells the truth, LOL. I had purchased some Winchester WXR powder and found some load data for the .280 Rem. I used this as a starting place for my 7x64 and 150 partitions and fired a few by the Garmin this morning only to learn they are traveling about 2500 fps. Good news is the RL19 with 140 TTSX is 2890 and a nice group, but I think I can bump it a little. 7x57 and 140 partitions is 2780 which is spot on with the Nosler book. My question is, how many shots do you need to feel comfortable with the velocity of your handloads? Obviously more is better statistically, but practically?

Just me, but I wanna see 10 rounds for an average.

Semper Fi
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BLR308
Is the Garmin, or any radar based chrono, prone to pick up shots from other shooters on the firing line? If so, any way to mitigate?
When my matches start in May.
I'm going to find out.
I'll have it mounted to my seb rest
And for the first time ever Chrono during a match.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm always looking for the least amount of vertical on the target at 500 yards.
Always good to have low SDs.
But ultimately your going to run what ever shoots the best at yardage.
Regardless of Chrono numbers.....

dave

[Linked Image]

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
quote=rost495]
What I will state is that almost every last time I was shooting at 600 yards and watched the chrono the load that produced the lowest ES and SD and then went and looked at the holes in the paper I was never happy. The lowest ES and SD just never produced best accuracy.
.[/quote]
+1
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some time back, I was shooting at one end of the bench, someone running an LR at the other, maybe 12-15’ apart. He was picking up my shots at times. Since then, I’ve read that it might be an aiming issue or other operator problem. Dunno.

Haven’t had anyone close by me when using my Garmin yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I haven’t used the Garmin next to other shooters yet, but I’ve never had a problem with the LR picking up shots from other shooters. Of course, there are sensitivity settings on the LR to remedy that if it’s a problem.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've used mine with shooters on the adjacent bench and zero problems. Never misses my shots, never picks up theirs.
Rex

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I took mine to an indoor range a couple weeks ago. Another shooter was in the lane to my left. I was shooting my 357 and getting good readings. Once, while I was reloading, the guy next to me fired off a shot. I happened to look at the Garmin. The screen had that little circle thing going that it does as it is "thinking ". It never showed a velocity, just quit thinking. When I looked closer at the Garmin, it was ever so slightly pointed to the left. I squared it up with my shooting lane and it was good to go.
I shot at an indoor range in KC in December and used the Garmin with shooters on both sides of me and had no problems.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Thank yall for the responses, sounds like a garmin is in my future. Interested to see how it compares to Dave's ohler.

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Playing with the app.
Scotty has been sending me his screen shots for awhile now.
Thought I'd try it.
Guess I don't need to write down anything anymore.

dave

[Linked Image]

dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last week I was packing up at the range and another shooter noticed me taking my Garmin apart and asked what it was. When I told him, he was stunned. Since he was still shooting, I set it up next to his position and told him to fire away. He asked what had to be done to get it aligned, and I said, you turn it on and set it beside your rifle. He had owned a Labradar but sold it as it was big and had a few issues for him. Another guy chimed in about also having a Garmin and how much he liked it.

Definitely sold at least one more that day!

What fresh Hell is this?
dave7mm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Pretty freaken handy.
And this was from my first time out.
I'm going to make up a bar out aluminum and mount it to the top of my seb rest.
dave

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the best price folks are seeing for these? Amazon is showing $587.90 but the best I found so far is Walmart's website at $546.84.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Did you use it on a gun with a muzzle break?

MM

No sir .
Have not run it on any of bench guns as of yet.
But I will.
All my bench guns have brakes.
Theres a interesting video on 6mm BR by fclass John about the first time he tried the LR.
Basically..
First few times out was a disaster thing was pretty much useless..
Think he sold his..
Later on he bought another one and put an inertia trigger on it.
Worked perfectly with the inertia trigger. Something else to buy..
One of the guys on my bench bought a LR.
First time I saw it I told him to send it back.
Almost totally useless.
Later on he bought an inertia trigger as well seem to solve most of the issues.
Other guy on my bench bought a LR..
Worked out of the box.
No issues of any kind and no inertia trigger. Thing just works.
I'm still glad I waited.

dave

Oh BS.
Have owned a LR for going on 5 years. Have had no problem with muzzle brakes including an 338WM. Although I do move the unit an extra 8-10” from the muzzle brake equipped rifles and turn the sensitivity down.

My LR catches most (but not all) 22 cal bullets, too.

My 3 ring binder does a great job storing load data and velocity, plus targets, so admittedly I couldn’t care less about Bluetoothing to my phone, Starlink, or Ukrainian drones…..

And this breathless first adopter thread of Tesla owners appears to be pointedly ignoring the new LRLX that will allow the user to return to previous shot strings and enter new shots—a significant deficiency in both the LRV1 and Garmin, arguably rendering them both obsolete…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,880
Posts18,479,095
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.