Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by HawkI
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Richard Special and the Officer on Saturday.

Worked on an 83gr. Lapua wadcutter load for the Richard that (hopefully) stays in a coyote noggin. It runs with the sights to about 35 yards, after that it drops like a brick.
It gets the 00 Little Dandy Rotor to drop 1.4 grs. of 700x and Prvi cases. (Or Lapua. Prvi and Lapua are thin walled and not tapered. Both are specifically made for this hollow base wadctter). No, reloading the Fiocchi wadcutter brass is way too thick for proper seating with this .314 bullet, as are most other available cases.

The Officers Model I've posted before but while it looked good on the outside and I lusted for the King rear sight, it was corrupted on the insides by novices. It got a new hand, positive lock safety and rebound lever to fix both the timing and lockup and to make the gun drop safe again.

Numrich (thank goodness) is stocking newly manufactured guts for these guns (that includes the Python) so I FINALLY got one of my favorite guns from boderline scrap heap back to the rare and gorgeous target arm that needs to be enjoyed.

Between the two they ate 700 32 caliber chunks of splendor, the Officers getting the brunt of the action with 231 (2.3 grs, in rotor #0), a 115 Keith/NOE bullet and Federal cap in Starline brass.

Coincidentally I gave my pre-war Colt Officer's Model a workout yesterday too. I recently acquired an old unused RCBS mold for an 85 grain wadcutter. It seats shallow enough so inside case taper is inconsequential, even in .32 Long brass. I pulled a charge weight out of the air for the initial test and loaded them with 1.9 grains Red Dot. Brass was Starline .32 H&R (the revolver's chambers had been lengthened by an "enlightened" soul in the past). Sized .314 with nary a whiff of powder coating on the 1:20 tin:lead alloy bullets (who needs PC'ing on .32 target ammo?). The load further confirms that the handgun shoots like a young rifle, as it has been doing with Accurate #311-105T RNFP's, same alloy, 2.4gr. Bullseye. Now I have two go-to loads for the old sweetheart.

I've been asked, "Why don't you whomp up a bit on the loads for it since it's reamed out to H&R specs and the steel in the Colt is plenty up to the task?" No need, I say. I don't carry it, don't hunt anything with it - all its bullets need to do is go fast enough to punch through paper and/or ring tiny steel plates at my buddy's woods range. And at this level I can shoot the thing as cheaply as, or cheaper, than .22 rimfires.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Local shop has an S&W 32 S&W long in good condition. They are asking $599. I have no idea what the model number is. It is tempting me.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
That looks like you could spend a weekend loading, then shoot all summer for very little money. Not to mention very little recoil.

Very cool.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Anyone think the Diamondback in 32 would have been a good idea?

Maybe, just maybe, Colt may get back in the 32 race on the new King Cobra platform.

I've never seen one yet, but they appear to be a good candidate for the Federal cartridge possibly? I'm not real big on the Federal, but right now it has the most commercial traffic.
I'd settle for the H&R myself, but factory ammo always plays a large part in consideration.

I really like that Smith concealed model. It definitely well thought out.
Good to see the 32s get some love.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The Diamondback in a 32 would not have been a good idea. It would have been a great idea.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mart
The Diamondback in a 32 would not have been a good idea. It would have been a great idea.

Amen, brother, Amen.

I've avoided the .327 Federal rabbit hole thus far. "You can shoot .32 Longs and H&R's in it too", they say, but what of that loooooong bullet jump from case mouth to throat (if accuracy better than "minute of tin can" is the goal)? Just wondering. Obviously I haven't done it, any input on that account? (Bearing in mind my proclivity for mild .32 target loads.)

Being a fanboy of .32's in general, the .327 intrigues the heck out of me, but in another way - as a chambering in a heavy barrel single shot with a fast twist and 150-165 grain cast bullets for 100 and 200 yard work. Many fellas are employing the .32-20 in such a role these days and to my thinking the hell-for-stout Federal case would offer an advantage over the relatively thin walled .32-20. I hear noise about the .32-20 case not standing up to that abuse for very long.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Patent date on this one is June 5, 1917. No rust, but patina is there. My wife put all 6 of the first shots she made with this into a 4" dot at about 20 paces, all holes touching. It was hers until I showed her a Model 10 that she felt had "more power".

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Bugger; 02/27/24.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Amen, brother, Amen.

I've avoided the .327 Federal rabbit hole thus far. "You can shoot .32 Longs and H&R's in it too", they say, but what of that loooooong bullet jump from case mouth to throat (if accuracy better than "minute of tin can" is the goal)? Just wondering. Obviously I haven't done it, any input on that account? (Bearing in mind my proclivity for mild .32 target loads.)

Being a fanboy of .32's in general, the .327 intrigues the heck out of me, but in another way - as a chambering in a heavy barrel single shot with a fast twist and 150-165 grain cast bullets for 100 and 200 yard work. Many fellas are employing the .32-20 in such a role these days and to my thinking the hell-for-stout Federal case would offer an advantage over the relatively thin walled .32-20. I hear noise about the .32-20 case not standing up to that abuse for very long.

In relation to jump and increasing potential without resorting to defiling a fine arm they just don't make anymore. And the 327.

I believe you are correct in seeing the 327 as a more durable case than the 32-20. The 32-20 in a perfectly stout arm obviously has more potential, but the brass is very thin and often peters out with normal case sizing pretty quick. It would tire even faster if pressed to 3/4 the pressure of the .327 and we haven't even brought up buckling with seating a "fat" bullet or using a crimp. And I do like the 32-20.

The 327, as I've toyed with it, is at its best being loaded fast. Starting loads for jacketed bullets is probably where to begin.

You can make a "target" load for it, but its a bit too capacious to avoid wide velocity swings and will really make you scratch your head with a position sensitive powder with sedate or even moderate loads. Then the brass likes pressure to seal and fill the chamber; its not simply an elongated 32 H&R. The brass is much harder and probably thicker, designed for essentially double what the H&R operates at and triple the 32 Long. The starting loads are above maximum 32 H&R loads in the manuals, pressure wise.

I'm in the camp the 32's can easily be sedate but still not lack the ability to shoot well at distance (better than a .38 with less recoil and equal or greater B.C.) and if you are pondering taking a reamer to your original K32,16-?, Single Six or 32 Officers Model there is absolutely ways of getting there with less expensive surgery (in more ways than one).

The real heavyweights (120-135 grain cast bullets) will allow longer seating if they have multiple lube grooves or you have a mold cut with a dual crimp. This can also be done with target loads and swaged wadcutters or a multi grooved lubed bullet. The LEE tumble lubed bullets too.

The trick is to seat the bullet, fitted or sized snug to the throat, outward. This does two things. It increases capacity for more powder or lessens pressure with a traditional "book" charge. It also keeps the bullet guided as its already in the throat, not careening down an oversized chamber and being swaged at whatever angle when it hits the throat.

The 32 Long (in an arm that someone "might" feel the need to chamber to H&R to get better ballistics) can essentially be made longer, to 32 H&R length if the mold is cut correctly or by utilizing a lube groove to make the round the gun is chambered in capable of similar ballistics to the next larger round.
Most 32 H&R brass today is essentially the same as the 32 Long, strength wise.

By contrast, if we want a nice H&R wadcutter load for our 327 Federal, we can use the softer H&R brass, seat the wadcutter out a smidge into the throat and not have the 1/10 travel into oversized no man's land.

Here is a dummy 32 Long with a 125gr. LBT next to a 32 H&R with a 115 LBT. Obviously we would be in the starting load realm of the 32H&R, but way beyond any load listed for the Long. A custom bullet or wadcutter can be seated out to H&R OAL and that data used provided the bullet fits the throat and the arm is capable.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Amen, brother, Amen.

I’ve never ventured into the 327 realm. I have thoroughly enjoyed my two 32 H&R mags, one a single six and the other a 631. I have always had in my mind that I’d like to find a K32 but at current prices, if one could be found, I’ll have to keep enjoying the 32s I have.

However if Colt ever offered a four inch Diamondback in 32 H&R, I’d be selling a kidney and as much unvaxxed blood as I could afford to live without. Might even start eying the wife’s jewelry.

Last edited by mart; 02/27/24.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Bugger
Patent date on this one is June 5, 1917. No rust, but patina is there. My wife put all 6 of the first shots she made with this into a 4" dot at about 20 paces, all holes touching. It was hers until I showed her a Model 10 that she felt had "more power".

Dandy iron there Bugger.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Thanks for the update Mackay. I have a hunch I'll own one the new pistols.

They have been extremely popular. The minimal recoil, better capacity and deep penetration is really proving to be a winner. I was just talking with Jason from Lipseys this morning (texting actually) and we were discussing this. The .32 H&R has really turned out to be a Goldilocks round for these guns.

The LCR in .32 has been quite fun, but I could not resist one of these Ultimate Carry J Frames. So I opted for a blued .32. Since I have been carrying the same blued 442 for almost 25 years now, I figured it may be time. Plus it will be a testing platform. smile

I am opting for the 432UC, too. As soon as the announcement hit the airwaves I was at my LGS and am 1st on his list for when they arrive.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Thanks for the update Mackay. I have a hunch I'll own one the new pistols.

They have been extremely popular. The minimal recoil, better capacity and deep penetration is really proving to be a winner. I was just talking with Jason from Lipseys this morning (texting actually) and we were discussing this. The .32 H&R has really turned out to be a Goldilocks round for these guns.

The LCR in .32 has been quite fun, but I could not resist one of these Ultimate Carry J Frames. So I opted for a blued .32. Since I have been carrying the same blued 442 for almost 25 years now, I figured it may be time. Plus it will be a testing platform. smile

Is a stainless 32 going to be available? I might hold out for one if so. If not, I'll try to find a blued one. From reading around on various forums, it sounds like demand is going to be strong.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am sitting on ready for everything from 32 S&W long to 327 Federal. I handled the Smith 31-1 at the gun store yesterday it was in fair condition and priced at $599. I passed on it. It's a consignment, so I may go back in a few months and make an offer if it is still there. As it stands now I just have my three 327 Federals.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Damn, HawkI! Just slide on in and drop this photo bomb, awesome. Drooling over the 631 stainless.

The one that has me most intrigued though is the 3” at 3 o’clock. Looks like a model 31, but it has an adjustable rear sight. What is it, a rare version?

Nevermind, just saw the pin under the rear sight. You snuck a rimfire into the pile, you sneaky basstad… blush

Last edited by cotis; 03/03/24.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nah,

Its a conversion. Its a 30/31 barrel and cylinder with a floating centerfire pin installed.

Someone did a good job, I just need to finish it. The front sight is way too short.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Great looking crew there Hawk.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Thanks.

You better have some 32 pics here shortly Paul!

If you need some cast bullets, hit me up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HawkI
Thanks.

You better have some 32 pics here shortly Paul!

If you need some cast bullets, hit me up.

Do you have some those fancy coated ones like Mackay uses?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Nope, mine are all traditional. I use LBT Blue or my own stuff.

I kind of abhor the painted jackets, but understand why they have become popular.

If you get that 30/31 you don't need much of anything in the 32 Long with target loads.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,417
Posts18,507,346
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.