Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19188002 02/07/24
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
2019 Chevy 2500 HD. 17" rims. Looking for recommendations for a winter/snow tire that I will run all year. Need a set that have stiffer side walls that won't roll with heavy loads when going around bends. Use to use Cooper SST Max, but that is no longer made. Original Firestones on it are a piece of crap and Goodyear Duratracs were like jelly on my old 98 Dodge.

Load wise I have a pop up 6 ft slide in camper and 3 horse slant trailer. Truck is right at 8000 pounds. Full upload is about 18,000, but that is only during hunting season. I use a load distribution hitch. I do not want all terrain tires.I live at 7600 feet and snow is from November thru April with more ice than snow.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I am not sure you can find a 3-peak rated load range E tire that is not an "All Terrain". So that means you will need an "All Season" tire that is good in snow. I would recommend the Michelin Defender LTX. They are decent in snow and can be had in load range E. There are some "All Season" tires that have the 3-peak rating but I can not find one that is also E rated.

I have been looking myself for just what you are talking about for my next set of tires on my Super Duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
vince, the local oilfield service guy is raving about these...

https://milestartires.com/light-trucks/patagonia-at-pro/

He had me convinced to try them myself, but couldn't get them in my size without ordering them. So I just went with duratracs again, as the falkens and coopers were chit, on the ranch trucks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TOYO

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I am not sure you can find a 3-peak rated load range E tire that is not an "All Terrain". So that means you will need an "All Season" tire that is good in snow. I would recommend the Michelin Defender LTX. They are decent in snow and can be had in load range E. There are some "All Season" tires that have the 3-peak rating but I can not find one that is also E rated.

I have been looking myself for just what you are talking about for my next set of tires on my Super Duty.

I'm a Defender LTX fan, but have never carried a camper or hauled a trailer that heavy.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I want try the Goodyear Wrangler with Mylar.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I want try the Goodyear Wrangler with Mylar.

You mean Kevlar? OEM spec on my truck. No complaints but I've never been uber picky about matching load ratings and the such because the most I move is about 3k lbs. That said - they've been good in the snow, grip wise. Never stuck. No real issues in mud but not a mud tire so I've not looked for a real soup hole. I suspect the locker or ATRACs will play more of a role for stuck or not than the tire with me in mud.

Me

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My suggestion was based on the OP's desire to not have a "All Terrain" tire, and I assumed since he said they would be for year round use that would also eliminate "Mud Terrain" tires also because of the rough ride and noise.

This leaves "All Season" tires to choose from and like I said above I see no one making them that are 3-peak rated with also E weight capacity, but I am still looking for my own curiosity.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cooper Maxx......seems to be in production

Running a set of 5 from 3 yrs ago---------285-70x17s

Loud & heavy.....3 ply sidewalls rock off road @ 16 psi

Your store in CO link

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-st-maxx

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
New Duratrac is out, Wrangler Duratrac RT

Also new Falken Wildpeak AT4W, replaces the AT3W. Supposed to be better for towing heavy loads.

Both more expensive than what they replace.
Looking at the Wildpeaks for my truck.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Got wildpeaks, that stiffer rubber compound change will do nothing for winter conditions.

They suck at everything. Always nice, running a load of straw, where just the crown of a road on soft/warm/icey roads, the truck begins to slide towatds ditch at anything faster that 45 mph

OR, just a smidgen of snow on leaves, truck won't even move with the slightest slope.

I have to chain up all the time. Tires have the 3peaksnowflake logo and it doesnt mean jack fkn sht.

Falken death-traps-4w.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I put the Toyo RT Trail on this year to haul my 16,000 camp-trailer and still have traction. They have done great so far but we have had a mild winter. I finally took them off last week and put the winter tires on. I have to say the RT Trails did better in snowy/icy conditions, but the other tires do have some wear on them. Another we like so far is the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Those are on our suburban so no towing with it, but they seem to handle snow/ice conditions well.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
2019 Chevy 2500 HD. 17" rims. Looking for recommendations for a winter/snow tire that I will run all year. Need a set that have stiffer side walls that won't roll with heavy loads when going around bends. Use to use Cooper SST Max, but that is no longer made. Original Firestones on it are a piece of crap and Goodyear Duratracs were like jelly on my old 98 Dodge.

Load wise I have a pop up 6 ft slide in camper and 3 horse slant trailer. Truck is right at 8000 pounds. Full upload is about 18,000, but that is only during hunting season. I use a load distribution hitch. I do not want all terrain tires.I live at 7600 feet and snow is from November thru April with more ice than snow.

I've also used the Cooper ST Maxx (SST Max?) on a '06 Dodge/Cummins. I'm currently running the Cooper Disoverer AT3 XLT on a '16 Chevy 3500 Dmax and like them better. Quieter on the highway and better in snow. I tow 13k-17k lbs (5th wheel plus utility trailer) with no issues, and lots of gravel road miles during hunting season. This is my second winter on them and I'm at 16k-18k miles so far.

You said no AT tires, so can't help there but I'd buy the AT3 XLT again for my use.

Last edited by JGray; 02/08/24.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JGray
I've also used the Cooper ST Maxx (SST Max?) on a '06 Dodge/Cummins. I'm currently running the Cooper Disoverer AT3 XLT on a '16 Chevy 3500 Dmax and like them better. Quieter on the highway and better in snow. I tow 13k-17k lbs (5th wheel plus utility trailer) with no issues, and lots of gravel road miles during hunting season. This is my second winter on them and I'm at 16k-18k miles so far.

You said no AT tires, so can't help there but I'd buy the AT3 XLT again for my use.

Looks like I will have to go to the AT..I will look at the Discover AT3 XLT. Do you know it it has a stiff side wall as the ST Maxx?Hard to change since I ran the ST MAXX for almost 20 years on my 98 Dodge cummons.

We get dumped on with a lot of snow, but most of the problem is ice in the winter.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/08/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JGray

Looks like I will have to go to the AT..I will look at the Discover AT3 XLT. Do you know it it has a stiff side wall as the ST Maxx?Hard to change since I ran the ST MAXX for almost 20 years on my 98 Dodge cummons.

We get dumped on with a lot of snow, but most of the problem is ice in the winter.

I had the ST Maxx and currently run the AT3 XLT. Towed our 14,000lb toy hauler with both. No complaints towing with either tire. My honest opinion, while not as aggressive as the ST Maxx the AT3 performs just as well in off-road situations you’d encounter in a crew cab long bed pickup. I like the rain/snow performance better with the AT3. Much prefer the reduced noise of the AT3. Longevity probably a slight nod to the AT3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tires must be a pain in the azz to find for these heavy chevy's and dodges. Those newer 3/4 ton chebys have been getting stuck down at the range. Pizzes me off to have to pull around them on the shoulder to go around them in my Accord.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Love a tire thread

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
One thing we used to do until the tire we used was discontinued, was get a mud tire and have it siped. They worked better in the deep stuff than the AT's and with the siping were good on packed snow snd ice. The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss looks like a mud tire with a lot of siping the Cooper Rugged Trex is another that we have used.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Do you know it it has a stiff side wall as the ST Maxx?

I'd expect the ST Maxx to have a stiffer sidewall due to the 3 plies, but I can't tell any difference between them in that regard. Friends of ours tow a triple axle 44' 5th wheel toy hauler with the same AT3 XLT and swear by them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Just a Hunter

Used to Sipe my tires also worked great and got good tire life

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 160user, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 18 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,142
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.