Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Just a Hunter

Used to Sipe my tires also worked great and got good tire life

did you do it yourself?......anybody else?.....has anybody studded their tires themselves,,,,,bob

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JGray
I'd expect the ST Maxx to have a stiffer sidewall due to the 3 plies, but I can't tell any difference between them in that regard. Friends of ours tow a triple axle 44' 5th wheel toy hauler with the same AT3 XLT and swear by them.

That is my prime concern. After those Duratracs. I never want that feeling again of the tire rolling sideways going around a bend.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/09/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by JGray
I'd expect the ST Maxx to have a stiffer sidewall due to the 3 plies, but I can't tell any difference between them in that regard. Friends of ours tow a triple axle 44' 5th wheel toy hauler with the same AT3 XLT and swear by them.

That is my prime concern. After those Duratracs. I never want that feeling again of the tire rolling sideways going around a bend.

Nitto Exo Grappler. Great support with a load (3rd sidewall belt). Excellent on packed snow/ice, I live in North Dakota and we have that 4-6Mo every winter. Back in Oct I put my 3rd set on my '11 F270 6.7L. They're the best AT I've used on the slick stuff on my current or previous F-250 diesel in ~300K Mi between the 2. For reference, I've used BF Goodrich Long-trail, AT and AT KO2, Duratrac, Nitto Trail and Terra Grapplers, Continental Conti-trac off the top of my head.

No, they're not "Blizzak/true snow tire good", but again, they are the best AT I've used in snowy/icy/slick conditions.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by horse1
Nitto Exo Grappler. Great support with a load (3rd sidewall belt). Excellent on packed snow/ice, I live in North Dakota and we have that 4-6Mo every winter. Back in Oct I put my 3rd set on my '11 F270 6.7L. They're the best AT I've used on the slick stuff on my current or previous F-250 diesel in ~300K Mi between the 2. For reference, I've used BF Goodrich Long-trail, AT and AT KO2, Duratrac, Nitto Trail and Terra Grapplers, Continental Conti-trac off the top of my head.

No, they're not "Blizzak/true snow tire good", but again, they are the best AT I've used in snowy/icy/slick conditions.

Thanks

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dang horse1, those nittos are well built. Right off the bat, the outside tread blocks have twice as much siping as my falken-failures. No wonder guys are raving about these in the winter.

That'll be my next set. Thanks!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’m a fan of the Michelin Defender LTX MS.

It’s not an aggressive AT tire, but for on road, dirt road, all season, they’re great. Wear like iron, lots of siping, strong sidewalls, good traction on packed snow. Not great in mud but not horrible.

I pulled a 23’ trailer with both the truck and trailer loaded to the gills, I’m sure over payload, cross country and the truck tires were the last thing I was concerned with.

If I needed an aggressive AT/mud tire I’d look elsewhere.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Dang horse1, those nittos are well built. Right off the bat, the outside tread blocks have twice as much siping as my falken-failures. No wonder guys are raving about these in the winter.

That'll be my next set. Thanks!

They don't get super hard when it gets really cold either. We don't get "interior AK cold" but we usually see 2-3 7-10 day periods of -20F ambient each winter. As I said above, we usually have 4-6Mo of packed snow/ice in town, many of the secondary paved roads and just about all of the gravel.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bob MT had the tires siped early 80,s a lot of tire shops did it back then used them from MT to Kodiak lots of ice worked well. Now I just look for good siping on factory tires, or run studs change them out about 25K rubber wears back and studs act like skates. Tried restudding but never works as well as new factory studded tires on ice we get about 2.5 months of it. Tires are about 1K accidents is about 3k, nutty drivers around Anchorage.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Appreciate all the replies.I am down to the Nitto Exo Grabbler, Cooper Discover AT3-XLT, and Discover SST Max in that order depending on what is available here. Thinking I might put them on new wheels so I can run what I have now during the summer.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Appreciate all the replies.I am down to the Nitto Exo Grabbler, Cooper Discover AT3-XLT, and Discover SST Max in that order depending on what is available here. Thinking I might put them on new wheels so I can run what I have now during the summer.

Exo's are fall/winter tires for me. I also have a 2nd set of wheels for summers. I get 2-3 winters on the Exo's, run them the rest of the next summer and then replace.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2019 Chevy 2500 HD. 17" rims. Looking for recommendations for a winter/snow tire that I will run all year. Need a set that have stiffer side walls that won't roll with heavy loads when going around bends. Use to use Cooper SST Max, but that is no longer made. Original Firestones on it are a piece of crap and Goodyear Duratracs were like jelly on my old 98 Dodge.

Load wise I have a pop up 6 ft slide in camper and 3 horse slant trailer. Truck is right at 8000 pounds. Full upload is about 18,000, but that is only during hunting season. I use a load distribution hitch. I do not want all terrain tires.I live at 7600 feet and snow is from November thru April with more ice than snow.

cooper at3 xlts I have them on my 2018 silverado 2500, i tow heavy with them, theyre great. really good in snow too. They're probably techinically an all terrain, but theyre aggressive. Ive had duratracs as well, and these grip as good or better in snow and Ice. Cooper also has an at3 xlt snowflake rated tire that are a 60K tire as well. Those will be my next set, my buddy owns a tire shop and has been running them since before they were available to the public and he says theyre damn near as good as a blizzak

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Added Michelins to the wife’s 2017 when original tires wore out. Very impressed with traction, ride, and lack of noise. Was so impressed the day after I picked up my 24 F350 went to local tire shop and had them swap out the stock tires for the Michelins in a larger size.
Worth every penny.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=acooper1983
cooper at3 xlts I have them on my 2018 silverado 2500, i tow heavy with them, theyre great. really good in snow too. They're probably techinically an all terrain, but theyre aggressive. Ive had duratracs as well, and these grip as good or better in snow and Ice. Cooper also has an at3 xlt snowflake rated tire that are a 60K tire as well. Those will be my next set, my buddy owns a tire shop and has been running them since before they were available to the public and he says theyre damn near as good as a blizzak[/quote]

Tire shop told me yesterday the Cooper AT3 XLT's are discontinued. The Duratracks have a soft sidewall. BTDT

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/11/24.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You may check a different shop. This review was posted just 6 days ago.

https://tiregrades.com/buying-guides/reviews/cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt-review/

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Cooper website only shows 15". https://www.coopertire.com/en_US/tires/discoverer-at3-xlt/24486.html

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Cooper website only shows 15". https://www.coopertire.com/en_US/tires/discoverer-at3-xlt/24486.html
👍🏻

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Yes,I could not find a 17" one and Discount tire could not either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the XLT just rated higher mileage than the LT?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What exact size do you need ?

There are still some out there in the Southeast

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
265/70R 17. I would not want to put a tire on that would be hard to find a replacement if one failed. I am kind of gun shy.These factory Firestones, broke a side wall at less than 1000 miles and I was 300 miles from home. I do like Cooper tires though. These tires will probably be the last set I ever buy, being 80, I probably won't be able to drive in five years.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

417 members (1Longbow, 22250rem, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 160user, 257 mag, 42 invisible), 2,168 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,504
Posts18,472,239
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.