Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not sure if you can get them but I’ve had amazing luck with Mastercraft CXT’s. I have them on my 3500 Ram which is only used to pull trailers or campers. I’ve got 47k and they need to be replaced. That’s pretty good service for a heavy 1 ton diesel.

I had them on my diesel Colorado and they went 70k miles and we still swapped them to my mother in laws truck since she doesn’t drive near the miles I do.

I tried to get them again this fall for the Colorado but they weren’t available so I went with the Cooper STT Maxxs. Great tires but almost 100 bucks more a tire than the Mastercraft.

The Mastercraft are amazing in mud and snow/ice. Luckily they are back around and my tire shop has a set for my Ram ready to go on.

https://www.mastercrafttires.com/tires/courser-cxt/24736.html

Semper Fi
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Just a Hunter

Used to Sipe my tires also worked great and got good tire life

did you do it yourself?......anybody else?.....has anybody studded their tires themselves,,,,,bob

I had a local tire shop do the job.

Never stuck with those siped mud tires until one time when they were almost worn out and I got high-centered with ice under the snow. Otherwise, did better than any winter tire and AT I've used.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Honest question. If siped mud tires are so great, why aren’t they siped from the factory? What’s the downside? Wear? Instability?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by K1500
Honest question. If siped mud tires are so great, why aren’t they siped from the factory? What’s the downside? Wear? Instability?

This is from the Les Schwab website.

"Why Don’t My Tires Come Siped From the Manufacturer?
First, the siping process we use would be too expensive and time-consuming for manufacturers. Plus, typical factory siping leaves small, vacant gaps in the tire tread. The Les Schwab siping process creates gripping edges without gaps and without removing any rubber, allowing the individual sipes to support each other."

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
There was no instability that we could decern and they lasted 3 winters. My wife was more upset than me when those tires were discontinued (we had 2 sets before they were discontinued.) This is our first year with the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT's so we'll see in a couple years how they hold up and how they do in the winter. So far so good and a 50,000-mile warranty. That is something we didn't get with the MT tires.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Wouldn’t run a free set of Goodyears. St max is made in that size, at3 is a damn good tire just not a true 3 ply sidewall. Ran at3’s on single wheel one tons pulling cattle trailers without issue. Nittos are great tires but wear extremely fast. Especially on a heavy truck. Toyos probably best current tire imho. Cooper 2nd.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I’ve had good service from Toyo Open Country RT’s and Mt’s.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Put a set of Nittos EXO on yesterday

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Dogpopper
Wouldn’t run a free set of Goodyears. St max is made in that size, at3 is a damn good tire just not a true 3 ply sidewall. Ran at3’s on single wheel one tons pulling cattle trailers without issue. Nittos are great tires but wear extremely fast. Especially on a heavy truck. Toyos probably best current tire imho. Cooper 2nd.

Goodyear owns Cooper and Mickey Thompson now. I didn't have good luck with Goodyears from 30 years ago either. Wonder what will happen with the new acquisitions.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Goodyear owns Cooper and Mickey Thompson now. I didn't have good luck with Goodyears from 30 years ago either. Wonder what will happen with the new acquisitions.

Yea,if you search Goodyear and Cooper, you can find the same tire. One of the reasons I went with the Nitto

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 1 ton Ram. Took them off as soon as I could and put Toyo Open Country RT Trail's on. Much better tire for the Ram. Put the Nitto's on a 3/4 ton that isn't used for hauling. They have been good there.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I put Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 1 ton Ram. Took them off as soon as I could and put Toyo Open Country RT Trail's on. Much better tire for the Ram. Put the Nitto's on a 3/4 ton that isn't used for hauling. They have been good there.

nittos were one set of tires that I was glad to get rid of.....didnt wait for them to even get close to being wore out...the ridge grapplers...bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nitto and Toyo are the same parent company.

Goodyear/Cooper/Mickey Thompson/Dick Cepek/Falken/Dunlop/Mastercraft are all the same parent company.

Michelin/BFG are the same company.

This is not to say or imply that all of the tires in each parent company are all built to the same level of quality, but it is interesting for sure.

It seems like the standard every other AT tire is compared to is the BFG KO2 (they now have a KO3 in a limited number of sizes). They may not be the ‘best’ for any particular application, but you are doing something right when everyone else compares themselves to you.

I have been underwhelmed with my one set of Coopers, and the stock Goodyears that came on my new trucks have generally been ok, but not outstanding. Unless the price differential in the size I want is huge, I just go with the KO2’s.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

nittos were one set of tires that I was glad to get rid of.....didnt wait for them to even get close to being wore out...the ridge grapplers...bob

Yeah, there is a lot of tread left on the Nitto's. Very squishy feeling on the Ram. Might have been due to the weight of the diesel motor.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 02/17/24.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
The Nitto Ridge is a different tire than the EXO. Exo has 3 ply side walls and is rated commercial. Specs for the Ridge does not show it. That 3rd ply should make a big difference.I know it does in the Cooper which I used in my 98 Cummins. Probably why the Ridge felt squishy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Yeah, there is a lot of tread left on the Nitto's. Very squishy feeling on the Ram. Might have been due to the weight of the diesel motor.

the truck they were on 2016 f250 crew cab short bed diesel a lot of roll/wandering, probably the worst driving experience I have ever had......bob

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I run maxxis razr mt’s. The sidewalls aren’t as stiff as a highway tire, but I’ve towed with them and they handle fine. The traction in mud and snow is amazing.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

the truck they were on 2016 f250 crew cab short bed diesel a lot of roll/wandering, probably the worst driving experience I have ever had......bob

Ridge/Terra/Trail Grappler Vs. Exo Grappler is Apples to Cumquats. I've had sets of all but the Ridge-Grappler on my '11 F250 diesel.

Ridge Grappler compared to the Exo would be like comparing a Toyo Open Country (I II, or III) to an M-55, different league.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The Nitto Ridge is a different tire than the EXO. Exo has 3 ply side walls and is rated commercial. Specs for the Ridge does not show it. That 3rd ply should make a big difference.I know it does in the Cooper which I used in my 98 Cummins. Probably why the Ridge felt squishy.

Good to know.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (2UP, 2500HD, 405winash, 10Glocks, 35, 1OntarioJim, 9 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,122
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.