Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Looking for an aluminum bass boat but have been out of the bass game for while so not really sure what's on the market. Something like the Tracker 190tx or some variation of an 1860. Would prefer to stay away from glass.

Any suggestions on brands? Budget is about 30k.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In 2019 I was looking for a bass boat and wanted aluminum as well. After doing a bunch of research, I actually chose a Lowe Bay 20, a shallow draft aluminum bay boat.

For me it works better than a bass boat. It holds more people and has more seats. The center console driving position provides better visibility and comfort in rough water. You can fish around the sides of the console as well as on the fore and aft decks. The wells between the deck combined with the grab bar make a very stable place to stand for less sure footed folks, especially in rough water. It has both a live and a bait well. It had a higher weight capacity, more foam, and a thicker hull than an equivalent bass boat. The draft is basically identical to a bass boat, and it’s on a pad hull so it drives like a bass boat.

There are some trade offs. Compared to a true bass boat there is less deck and storage space. If you are only ever going to fish one or two anglers, a bass boat is probably just a bit better as far as layout. But fishing alone there is plenty of room in almost any boat layout.

You know more about boats than 95% of the posters here, so I’m guessing you kind of already know what you want. I think most of the major brands are pretty close in terms of build, and most of them are owned by Brunswick or BPS. The most valuable think you can add (besides safety equipment) is a strong GPS guided trolling motor with spot lock/anchor mode and track/heading lock.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks. I will check that out.

I am not 100% sold on a traditional bass boat design.

Plan on doing a lot of deep water striper jigging too.

How much HP did you put in the lowe 20?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s rated for 150. I have a Mercury Pro XS CT 115 on the back. As you know, you can never have enough power, but then Pro XS CT is pretty peppy for its rating. It pushes the boat around the lake with 5 on board total pulling a tube. When strictly fishing in the spring or fall (no tubing) I swap from a 4-blade 17 pitch to a 19 pitch prop and the increase in speed is noticeable. If I had a choice, I would have gone 150, but I am certainly happy with what’s on there.

I do a lot of deep water jigging myself. Anchor mode/spot lock makes it super easy to locate fish and lock the boat on top of a school. The footwells around the console are actually where I prefer to stand when jigging. The footing is secure because you are standing lower down, and you are close to the electronics on the console (I’ve got a bow mount unit too). The remote for the trolling motor lets you completely control boat location and trolling motor function from anywhere in the boat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are light gauge riveted aluminum hulls and heavy gauge welded hulls.
In the Northwest there are many boatbuilders that specialize in welded aluminum boats.
In the Midwest and East there are not many around but it's good to know that they exist.
North River Boats

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
IC B2

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
There are light gauge riveted aluminum hulls and heavy gauge welded hulls.
In the Northwest there are many boatbuilders that specialize in welded aluminum boats.
In the Midwest and East there are not many around but it's good to know that they exist.
North River Boats

Northriver? What’s that?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I am looking for a bass-ish boat.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by K1500
It’s rated for 150. I have a Mercury Pro XS CT 115 on the back. As you know, you can never have enough power, but then Pro XS CT is pretty peppy for its rating. It pushes the boat around the lake with 5 on board total pulling a tube. When strictly fishing in the spring or fall (no tubing) I swap from a 4-blade 17 pitch to a 19 pitch prop and the increase in speed is noticeable. If I had a choice, I would have gone 150, but I am certainly happy with what’s on there.

I do a lot of deep water jigging myself. Anchor mode/spot lock makes it super easy to locate fish and lock the boat on top of a school. The footwells around the console are actually where I prefer to stand when jigging. The footing is secure because you are standing lower down, and you are close to the electronics on the console (I’ve got a bow mount unit too). The remote for the trolling motor lets you completely control boat location and trolling motor function from anywhere in the boat.

I am definitely thinking the 115 CT for whatever I get.

Thanks for the info

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I bought an aluminum bass boat 4 years ago that is a little different. Mine is a 1960 Semi V Alweld with an outboard Jet. I bass fish mostly in rivers. It has more cockpit space in it and shorter raised decks than current bass boat style. I am ok with that. And needed the ability to run shallow.
If I was going to buy a prop boat for lake fishing. I liked Ranger Aluminum most.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Had an Alumaweld for a good while and
had to sell it after the hospital bill collectors
finished bending me over.

If I ever get to where I'm able to buy another
aluminum boat, it'll be one from Louisiana
like a Hankos or similar.
They'll build whatever you want however you
want and not give you a ration of bs like the
professional bs'ing boat salesmen do at the
places I've interacted with. They build with
good materials and good construction
Stay away from a cheesy cheap boat unless
you're a good swimmer

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My old boss had a Hankos built boat for the marsh in S Louisiana. His was 20 x 72". He had 2 40 horse surface drives on it. The boat was the real deal really sturdy build. Motors were problematic.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
How stable are the 1860 models for bass fishing ? Two guys standing up.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Depending on how heavy you are I would guess it would be stable. Mine is 1960 and I am big. Mine is stable if I walk the gunwale.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Both Lund and Alumacraft make the semi v models as well. I use a 16’ Alumacraft for guiding on the Mississippi. It’s the John boat Flat back model semi- v but I need that for shallow running. I believe now they have deeper running “ bass” models.
It thought Alumaweld has some good ones.
Personally is avoided tracker as their aluminum was thinner.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Ranger VS 1782 SC deep V Aluminum fishing boat. Really good boat for rough water with a semi bass boat setup. It has a large raised front deck with plenty of storage and 2 livewells to keep fish alive. The boat is all welded and quite a bit heavier than a similar boat by Lund or other top end aluminum boat builders.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 02/12/24.

living the good life every day
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G

This covers a lot of bases for me. Real stable with a bow mount for bass fishing, but has a V-hull for choppy water. Its a Lund.

C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

This covers a lot of bases for me. Real stable with a bow mount for bass fishing, but has a V-hull for choppy water. Its a Lund.

What model is that ? Plenty stable for 2 guys?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This has been a great boat for us. Very stable and room enough for 2 fishermen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like what they sell as the "rebel", up here in Canada.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MickinColo
This has been a great boat for us. Very stable and room enough for 2 fishermen.

That’s a nice boat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10ring1, 163bc, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,991
Posts18,499,927
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.